Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

vid36 wrote: »
    I received my recheck results in the post too, unfortunately I still have tort left.

One left too :( pretty devasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

randomrb wrote: »
    That makes sense, I would have said that Tort and Company wouldn't be too different in regard to workload, It also depends which of them you did most recently in college.

Interesting. Might rethink taking Tort then. Any advice on which is "easier" to pass? Did them at the same time in college, remember about the same about in both, maybe a little more Tort but not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Pyggg wrote: »
    Interesting. Might rethink taking Tort then. Any advice on which is "easier" to pass? Did them at the same time in college, remember about the same about in both, maybe a little more Tort but not much.

I would say it depends which one you are most interested in. Also was the new companies act enacted when you studied it cause that makes a massive change

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Ngannou54

Blazedup wrote: »
    Just curious.. why are you changing career?

Before I trained to be a teacher I did a BCL degree and a Masters in Law. However, when I finished my Masters it was 2010, at the height of the recession. Many of my classmates were failing to secure traineeships even after completing the FE1s. Many emigrated. At the time I was very doubtful about whether I should commit one or even two years to the FE1s when they're might not have been anything at the end of it..teaching was basically my plan B. I always intended sitting the FE1s at some point but it's taken longer than I expected!

Some of the other reasons are the lack of career progression in teaching and the unequal pay (I'm a post 2011 entrant). I have a genuine interest in many areas of law and while I'm under no illusions that I'll be 'minted', in all likelihood I'll have a higher income.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Ngannou54

Best of luck in your career. Your qualifications are impressive, but have you considered the relative t and cs between NS teaching and a legal career?.

I have a niece a solicitor, her sister is a NS teacher.

The solicitor niece has long hours and short holidays. Often has to work weekends etc to progress within the firm

The teacher niece has shorter hours and much longer holidays during which she has been able to travel extensively.

When babies arrive the teacher niece has statutory maternity leave and job kept open etc. Picture not so rosy or certain in the private sector

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 b.anna

Lads any positive stories from today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Ngannou54

nuac wrote: »
    Ngannou54

Best of luck in your career. Your qualifications are impressive, but have you considered the relative t and cs between NS teaching and a legal career?.

I have a niece a solicitor, her sister is a NS teacher.

The solicitor niece has long hours and short holidays. Often has to work weekends etc to progress within the firm

The teacher niece has shorter hours and much longer holidays during which she has been able to travel extensively.

When babies arrive the solicitor niece has statutory maternity leave and job kept open etc. Picture not so rosy or certain in the private sector

Hi you make very good points regarding the work-life balance that teaching offers. However, I have thought long and hard the last few years about the pros and cons...

Teaching also allowed me to travel extensively in my 20s which I am really grateful for (I'm a 30-year old man). However, in a few years if children arrive, I'll no longer be able to jet off to far away lands every summer.:D

Maybe I am naïve but I don't think the longer hours will bother me too much. I'm usually out giving grinds every evening anyway after school. My weekends are taken up by FE1 study. I don't mind hard work (as long as I'm being remunerated reasonably well). My wife also works in the private sector so we don't have the same holidays which is also a factor. Teaching can be a great career for many people but at this point in my own life I think it would be worth changing careers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

Thanks for your reply :)

I have never done Equity in college so looking to avoid that for first sitting, and want to do it along with Contract.
    Don't want to do EU and Constitutional together.

So I'm left with Tort, Company, Constitutional, Criminal, Property and EU.

I've seen that Criminal and Property are good to do for first sitting, so I am going to do them. They are Monday 8th and Tuesday 9th, with EU on Wednesday 10th. Don't think it would be wise for me to do EU after those two, therefore going with Constitutional over EU for this sitting.

So that means I am picking Constitutional, Criminal and Property. Leaves me with choosing between Tort and Company. Tort is Monday 2nd, Company 3rd and Constitutional 4th.
    I've heard Tort is also a large topic, so I'm wary of attempting it in my first sitting - need to pass the 3. For the difference of one day I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

Sorry for long post! But that is my reasoning for thinking of Company, Constitutional Criminal and Property.

Any thoughts?

Do a prep course for constitutional and you'll fly it! The Supreme Court by Ruadhán Mac Cormaic a great help too! You'll likely be pretty drained doing one after the other but it's fine.

Anyone get any good news?

Any strong contenders for case note questions in EU, Tort, Company or Contract? I'm going back-packing for a few weeks and trying to be somehow productive by reading things on my phone! Thank you! :D

• Advertisement

Hi All, I'm planning on sitting 4 in Oct. Just wondering at one point I should be done with note writing and commence proper study? Getting a bit stressed that I'm running out of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

able1 wrote: »
    Hi All, I'm planning on sitting 4 in Oct. Just wondering at one point I should be done with note writing and commence proper study? Getting a bit stressed that I'm running out of time.

Don't start panicking yet. Still plenty of time. The prep courses only just started last week so even if you were only just starting work today you'd still be in good shape.

With regards to note taking, everyone learns differently. Some people need to have all their notes done at least six weeks before the first exam to pass, others could still be writing notes the weekend before and still pass comfortably. Just do what works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lawdedaw

Hey everyone,

Just graduated and hoping to sit my first four FE1s in October so need to pass three in the first sitting. Currently thinking of sitting tort, contract, criminal and EU because they're well spaced out...just wondering if this is a good or bad combo/ what the pass rates are like and if anyone has any up to date grids on these to help me get started :)

Don't start panicking yet. Still plenty of time. The prep courses only just started last week so even if you were only just starting work today you'd still be in good shape.

With regards to note taking, everyone learns differently. Some people need to have all their notes done at least six weeks before the first exam to pass, others could still be writing notes the weekend before and still pass comfortably. Just do what works for you.

Thanks for that! Good to know prep courses are only starting, gives a bit of perspective!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

How long does it take the Law Society to refund exams fees? I spoke to the relevant person over the phone and then posted in what was required. I received confirmation that my application was being processed. That was 9 weeks ago today. I sought a refund once before and I seem to remember receiving it pretty quickly. I emailed them last week but got not reply. There's little point in ringing the FE1 department because I only ever get a voicemail.

Has anyone here passed contract and wouldn’t mind giving advice? I can help with the other 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Frances94

I did contract in my first round - what do you need help with?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

Hi everyone, hope the study is going ok, its hard getting back into the swing of things, isnt it?

Just a quick question, can anyone tell me what the correct topics were for each question in the last tort paper. I failed it dismally. Question 1 really threw me, along with several others.

Any advice on how to tackle tort would be much appreciated. I have six passed in total, but this one is really troubling me and getting me down.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

ally1234 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, hope the study is going ok, its hard getting back into the swing of things, isnt it?

Just a quick question, can anyone tell me what the correct topics were for each question in the last tort paper. I failed it dismally. Question 1 really threw me, along with several others.

Any advice on how to tackle tort would be much appreciated. I have six passed in total, but this one is really troubling me and getting me down.

Many thanks.

From looking back over the paper just there:

Q1: Duty of Care for 3rd Parties Problem Question
    Q2: Limitation of Actions Essay
    Q3: Product Liability Problem Question
    Q4: Causation Problem Question
    Q5: Damages Essay
    Q6: Defamation Problem Question
    Q7: Employer's Liability Problem Question
    Q8: Duty of Care: Nervous Shock Essay

Full disclosure, I missed out on the magic three the last two sittings thanks to failing Equity twice but I have passed Tort both times. Going for the hat trick this October! I did think the March paper was particularly tougher than previous papers (Not a single land based Tort Q!)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

From looking back over the paper just there:

Q1: Duty of Care for 3rd Parties Problem Question
    Q2: Limitation of Actions Essay
    Q3: Product Liability Problem Question
    Q4: Causation Problem Question
    Q5: Damages Essay
    Q6: Defamation Problem Question
    Q7: Employer's Liability Problem Question
    Q8: Duty of Care: Nervous Shock Essay

Full disclosure, I missed out on the magic three the last two sittings thanks to failing Equity twice but I have passed Tort both times. Going for the hat trick this October! I did think the March paper was particularly tougher than previous papers (Not a single land based Tort Q!)

Thanks so much for that. You poor thing re the equity paper, it seems an easier subject but that can be misleading. It catches a lot of people out. I passed it, but i have no real advice to give. i think i just passed on the dot of 50. focus on all the injunctions and all trust. Good luck with the study and thanks for letting me know what the tort topics were. A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

Is it pointless to try and learn some points from textbooks? Are the examiners impressed by extra reading or do they not care? It always looked good in college to be able to reference a textbook but I don't know if this is the case in FE1s - October is my first sitting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Is it pointless to try and learn some points from textbooks? Are the examiners impressed by extra reading or do they not care? It always looked good in college to be able to reference a textbook but I don't know if this is the case in FE1s - October is my first sitting.
    If you're attempting any essay question, it's always a good idea to have an overview from texts.

For example, if you're asked to discuss charitable trusts for the relief of poverty, you'd really want to refer to Biehler (formerly Delaney) noting that the public benefit exemption was at near "vanishing point" under the common law.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

Extra reading is not required to pass the exams - focus on caselaw and statute, when sitting the exam make sure to highlight the caselaw names (makes it a lot easier for the examiner to see).

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Hey guys,

Maybe anyone could help!!!

I have done contract, criminal, constitutional and property twice. Passed contract and property, but fail the other 2, so cannot get the 3 exams. I dont know whether its something that I do wrong and just dont know what to think. I did really well in criminal exam in college, but seem to get really low grade in the fe1. I got 33 this sitting. And constitutional, after exam I feel like I have done well, I answered all the questions and talked about correct issues. and mention cases. But I still cannot reach to the 50. I get 46-48. Just lost all hope here. Even thought of not going for the October 18 sitting at all. But having reconsidered, I though that I would have another go in October. Does anyone have any tips, or any recent sample answers or sample notes they have done and are willing to share I would very much appreciate it. Just so that I could see the standard and whats required.

By the way, I have examiners reports for Criminal for the past few years. I have gone through them. But there are just so much cases he refers to, and I dont know should I learn all of them, or just the main ones. I would really appreciate if anyone could help! Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

illy.m wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Maybe anyone could help!!!

I have done contract, criminal, constitutional and property twice. Passed contract and property, but fail the other 2, so cannot get the 3 exams. I dont know whether its something that I do wrong and just dont know what to think. I did really well in criminal exam in college, but seem to get really low grade in the fe1. I got 33 this sitting. And constitutional, after exam I feel like I have done well, I answered all the questions and talked about correct issues. and mention cases. But I still cannot reach to the 50. I get 46-48. Just lost all hope here. Even thought of not going for the October 18 sitting at all. But having reconsidered, I though that I would have another go in October. Does anyone have any tips, or any recent sample answers or sample notes they have done and are willing to share I would very much appreciate it. Just so that I could see the standard and whats required.

I did terribly in my first set of exams. I didnt put the work in it was my own fault but when I sat them again, I passed. I really believe it was the fact that I peppered each answer with different bits from different chapters. So for Criminal I didnt just answer the question asked, I gave an opinion on what they would be charged with, the likely sentence, information on bail and the Court the case would be heard in. Literally everything I could put in. With constitutional, the Supreme Court book helped immensely. I was sure I had completely messed up when I left that exam but I passed. You just have to find what is right for you and keep on trying until you have them all.

Leraf wrote: »

I did terribly in my first set of exams. I didnt put the work in it was my own fault but when I sat them again, I passed. I really believe it was the fact that I peppered each answer with different bits from different chapters. So for Criminal I didnt just answer the question asked, I gave an opinion on what they would be charged with, the likely sentence, information on bail and the Court the case would be heard in. Literally everything I could put in. With constitutional, the Supreme Court book helped immensely. I was sure I had completely messed up when I left that exam but I passed. You just have to find what is right for you and keep on trying until you have them all.

Whats the Supreme Court book? Can you buy it in a bookshop?

You can get it online from Easons - it's an absolute Godsend!! :)

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/269155/the-supreme-court/

I got mine in Easons. I really enjoyed reading it. Its not like a law book and the stories make the cases stick in your head so much better. It got me through the case note question for definite.

• Advertisement

I posted a reply but it did not show up for some reason

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/269155/the-supreme-court/

This is a link to the book. I got mine in Easons. Its not really a law book. I found it really interesting. Its the stories behind the cases. It got me through the case note question for sure. I have read it a couple of times since the exam, just because I enjoyed it so much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement