Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lawdedaw

Would anyone have exam grids they could send on for company, EU, criminal and contract please? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Leraf wrote: »
    I posted a reply but it did not show up for some reason

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/269155/the-supreme-court/

This is a link to the book. I got mine in Easons. Its not really a law book. I found it really interesting. Its the stories behind the cases. It got me through the case note question for sure. I have read it a couple of times since the exam, just because I enjoyed it so much.

Thanks a mill!!!! Will definitely buy it this week. Thanks for your advice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 FE1s2018

Hi,

I am preparing for my first set of fe1's in October. I plan to do 4 but don't really know how to go about it. I just finished my law degree so I have comprehensive college notes etc... Should I just try to get the manuals, compare with my notes from college and learn them?

Is there certain subjects that I should choose together e.g. Property and Equity? I did Company most recently so want to do cover that in my first sitting and would prefer to leave property and equity together until next April sitting.

Any advice in general would be much appreciated. How do I get my hands on examiner reports and past papers and are they (along with manuals) all the material I need?

Thank You.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

FE1s2018 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am preparing for my first set of fe1's in October. I plan to do 4 but don't really know how to go about it. I just finished my law degree so I have comprehensive college notes etc... Should I just try to get the manuals, compare with my notes from college and learn them?

Is there certain subjects that I should choose together e.g. Property and Equity? I did Company most recently so want to do cover that in my first sitting and would prefer to leave property and equity together until next April sitting.

Any advice in general would be much appreciated. How do I get my hands on examiner reports and past papers and are they (along with manuals) all the material I need?

Thank You.

I didnt study law in college but from previous posts here i believe the work is very different in that in college you are expected to know a lot about everything and in the fe1s you need to know less. I am open to correction here.

I think you will need the manuals that are geared towards the FE1s rather than your college books. You can get them on donedeal, i have been told or you can sign up for a prep course.

The past papers and exam reports, you order from the Law Society directly.

If I can help with anything you can let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Hi,

Thank You.

My best advice is look up donedeal or adverts for a some good sample answers they will give you the best idea what you need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 FE1s2018

Ok, thank you. So probably best to start with picking my 4 subjects, doing a past papers analysis to try spot trends/ common topics , learning those topics from the manuals supplemented with examiner reports where relavent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

Ok, thank you. So probably best to start with picking my 4 subjects, doing a past papers analysis to try spot trends/ common topics , learning those topics from the manuals supplemented with examiner reports where relavent?

For college you need an in-depth knowledge of more specific topics; but for the FE1s you can't leave out as many topics and need to know a little about much, much more.

There's a Facebook group "FE1s and King’s Inn students" where you can buy manuals also.

The exam grids are useful when you're going through exam papers and figuring out what topics the question involved or if you're attempting past questions but I certainly wouldn't rely on them for predicting the exam (with the exception of equity).

For each topic, go through the exam report and write out on a blank A4 the cases the examiner has mentioned and any pitfalls. Whatever preparation you're doing, make sure you include all of that in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Does anyone know the best way to get grids? Like do people here freely trade them?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

Where are we suppose to get all the permitted legislative sources from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

angela1711 wrote: »
    Where are we suppose to get all the permitted legislative sources from ?

Office of public works
    https://www.opw.ie/en/

• Advertisement

Can you tell from a case citation whether it was in the High Court or Supreme Court?
    I used to think ILRM and IEHC was High Court and that IR is Supreme Court??

Also for Company law there's so many provisions to know for the exam - how have people colour-coded or worked their way around the legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Hi there!
    I just wondered, with the first set of FE-1s ahead of me, I will attempt to start to study in July but... How do you actually start to study for them ? 
    I have the materials I bought off from people etc, but the amount and variety... I feel a bit lost and just don't know how to best start and be efficient. I imagine a set planning is good to prepare but how do you know how long a chapter should take you etc...
    Any advice on how to proceed would be welcome :).

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

lawless11 wrote: »
    Hi there!
    I just wondered, with the first set of FE-1s ahead of me, I will attempt to start to study in July but... How do you actually start to study for them ? 
    I have the materials I bought off from people etc, but the amount and variety... I feel a bit lost and just don't know how to best start and be efficient. I imagine a set planning is good to prepare but how do you know how long a chapter should take you etc...
    Any advice on how to proceed would be welcome :).

A huge amount of this is subjective, everyone studies in different ways. My main advice would be that you can't get started too early even if its just a bit as it will give you an idea of how long you need. General rule of thumb is that you need 3 months for 4 subjects but as i said that varies wildly for different people

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mesutozil

Hi,

Thank You.

Everyone has different study methods but IMO the best way to focus your energy in the months coming up to exams is to get together a set of concise notes for each chapter or topic on each exam. When I say concise I mean like 2-3 pages for each topic. Some bigger topics may require more.

Also try to practice exam questions all the way through but the most important thing is the notes.

Aim to get your notes completed for 2 weeks in advance of the exams. You can easily do all the learning for each exam in these 2 weeks.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 10922UCD

Agree on the Supreme Court book.A boarder recommended it to me before couple of weeks before we both sat the exam and we were struggling with the concepts-it was just released at the time and we both passed!Best of luck to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marie92

Does anyone have any advice on how many weeks of full time preparation/study I will need to sit 5 exams in October: Tort, Company, Equity, Constitutional and Contract. I have passed the other 3 already. I sat and failed Equity in March.

Would 8 weeks be enough? Could I get away with less? I will be doing a bit in the evenings and at weekends for the next month and then planning to finish work in order to study full time for roughly 8 weeks before the exams.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

I would be very grateful to anyone who has a grid for Contract, Equity or Property :) Many thanks!

@sapphire309 My grids date only up to March 2016 if you'd still want them? 

I'd also appreciate if anyone would have up-to-date grids for Contract/Equity/Property/Company/EU or at least the detail of the exams from March 2016 to now :)...

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bayb12

Marie92 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any advice on how many weeks of full time preparation/study I will need to sit 5 exams in October: Tort, Company, Equity, Constitutional and Contract. I have passed the other 3 already. I sat and failed Equity in March.

Would 8 weeks be enough? Could I get away with less? I will be doing a bit in the evenings and at weekends for the next month and then planning to finish work in order to study full time for roughly 8 weeks before the exams.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks.

Loads of time

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marie92

Bayb12 wrote: »
    Loads of time

Great thanks for the reply, that's reassuring!

• Advertisement

What's the standard for the caselaw in the exams? Write just the name of the parties, or also the date, the reference...? 
    Thanks!

lawless11 wrote: »
    What's the standard for the caselaw in the exams? Write just the name of the parties, or also the date, the reference...? 
    Thanks!

I write it like this in my notes and write as much of this as I can remember in the exam.
    - Kerins v McGuinness (2017) HC (per ___ J)
    - Definitely include the court in your notes or you could end up advising on the law in Australia or Canada without realising!

Never any need for the reference.

Don't worry too much about the year, court or judge's name. However, I find it helpful for grasping developments over the years; whether there's a different stance in Ireland compared with the UK for example; and the judge's name in case he/she was dissenting or if it was obiter - if you're doing a critical analysis of something or a case note, it might look better having judges' names, but again, don't get too hung up on it.

Some cases have a nickname which is fine to use - eg Abbeylara or the Sinn Féin Funds case.

If you can't remember a case name, say something like "In a decided case with mirroring facts, the House of Lords looked at the intent and ultimately decided that...."

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FE1 Lady

Hey, I would really appreciate f anybody had up to date grids for Criminal, EU, Equity, Constitutional. Would anybody have any of the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

I’ve heard that the equity exam is quite predictable.. is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 curlyheadedfck

I'm going to be sitting my 3rd Contract paper this October but my manual is from 2016. I'm not sure if I should get the 2017 one.

Does anyone know if there have been many recent developments in the area or could I wing it with the Night Before Notes?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 curlyheadedfck

@holliek yes, the Equity paper can be predictable but it's notoriously hard to pass. The examiner marks it harshly

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

I just ordered the 2017 exam papers and exam report. I can't figure out how to access the PDFs even though I've paid.

This is leading me to believe that they are actually going to send them by snail mail. That can't be true can it? In this day and age...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I just ordered the 2017 exam papers and exam report. I can't figure out how to access the PDFs even though I've paid.

This is leading me to believe that they are actually going to send them by snail mail. That can't be true can it? In this day and age...

Yup it’s true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Stressing slightly about equity.. Whenever I ask someone their views/look at papers and grids, the main focus I've received is to concentrate on injunctions and trusts. Which other areas would people recommend as a must do?
    TIA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement