Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fe1exams2018

Does anybody have reasonably up to date (within the last year) exam banks and grids for company law and EU? I have exam banks and grids for every other subject I am willing to swap from the 2017 courses. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

holliek wrote: »
    Stressing slightly about equity.. Whenever I ask someone their views/look at papers and grids, the main focus I've received is to concentrate on injunctions and trusts. Which other areas would people recommend as a must do?
    TIA

Specific performance and Proprietary Estoppel.

Mareva was on the last paper so unlikely this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Anyone have grids of 2017 and 2018 papers which they’d be willing to share on any papers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Proctop_

Hey does anybody have a rough idea of what i should focus on in company law?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Joanneom wrote: »
    Hi there,Would anyone know if there are any topics you should 100% prepare for equity- thinking all trust and injunctions and then choosing between some remedies and maxims- Any tips would be appreciated.Look at previous exam papers and you'll see a lot of the same topics. Equity is a bit of a banana skin for many people. Look at her reports for critical remarks tooJoanne
    Marie92 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any advice on how many weeks of full time preparation/study I will need to sit 5 exams in October: Tort, Company, Equity, Constitutional and Contract. I have passed the other 3 already. I sat and failed Equity in March.

Would 8 weeks be enough? Could I get away with less? I will be doing a bit in the evenings and at weekends for the next month and then planning to finish work in order to study full time for roughly 8 weeks before the exams.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks.

Wow. 8 weeks of full time study sounds daunting!! I think 4 would be enough else you'll burn out.

Right.... if I'm being honest.... I would sit 3 in Oct and 2 next March.
    Sitting 5 is a lot of stress, and seeing as you also have March next year if you wish to do Blackhall in 2019, you might regret it.

You've X amount of hours %5.
    If you % 3 you'll be fine.

• Advertisement

EQUITY - 3 Certainties

Is a discretionary trust and mere/bare power of appointment the same thing?

- Discretionary - the trustee has discretion as to who the objects/beneficiaries are? I think I'm wrong here though!

What are people’s thoughta on the company versus contract exam? I know it’s mainly down to personal preference but having difficulty picking my combination. I’m doing my first sitting in October and I’ve picked to do equity and criminal as I recently did them in college. I want to do a third and have narrowed it down to contract or company.. anyone able to shed some light on either exam? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marie92

Wow. 8 weeks of full time study sounds daunting!! I think 4 would be enough else you'll burn out.

Right.... if I'm being honest.... I would sit 3 in Oct and 2 next March.
    Sitting 5 is a lot of stress, and seeing as you also have March next year if you wish to do Blackhall in 2019, you might regret it.

You've X amount of hours %5.
    If you % 3 you'll be fine.

I'd like to be ready to start Blackhall in 2019. My logic is that I want to try all 5 and if I fail any I can repeat in March.

If I leave 2 until March and don't pass one/both of them, I will have to repeat in Oct 2019 and therefore wouldn't be able to start Blackhall until 2020.

I do see your point though. The only thing putting me off is the timetable, with 4 in a row - Tort, Company, Constitutional and Contract.

I'd like to be ready to start Blackhall in 2019. My logic is that I want to try all 5 and if I fail any I can repeat in March.

If I leave 2 until March and don't pass one/both of them, I will have to repeat in Oct 2019 and therefore wouldn't be able to start Blackhall until 2020.

I do see your point though. The only thing putting me off is the timetable, with 4 in a row - Tort, Company, Constitutional and Contract.

I'm doing 5 as well but have an exam-free day the first week. I really think you should skip company and/or constitutional to give yourself a better chance at the others though. The exams are exhausting enough. I mailed you before about constitutional; it's easy enough to pass once you're organised etc and you could definitely get it first time in March :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Blazedup

What are people focusing on or omitting from their Constitutional prep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Squelcher

Hi everyone,

I'm making my second attempt at the FE-1s in October (tried them back in Autumn 2016 and they mopped the floor with me). I'm sitting Company, Constitutional and Property. I did a prep course for all three so I have manuals and papers, but the only problem is that I have no up to date exam grids. This isn't really a problem for Property and Company as the examiners' reports are very clear but for Constitutional the reports offer very little assistance for nailing down specific topics and planning exactly which areas I should focus on.

Would anyone here have a Constitutional exam grid dated within the past year or so, or know where I could get one? Any help would be very much appreciated, and I can give extracts from my manuals in return if anybody needs them.

Squelcher wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm making my second attempt at the FE-1s in October (tried them back in Autumn 2016 and they mopped the floor with me). I'm sitting Company, Constitutional and Property. I did a prep course for all three so I have manuals and papers, but the only problem is that I have no up to date exam grids. This isn't really a problem for Property and Company as the examiners' reports are very clear but for Constitutional the reports offer very little assistance for nailing down specific topics and planning exactly which areas I should focus on.

Would anyone here have a Constitutional exam grid dated within the past year or so, or know where I could get one? Any help would be very much appreciated, and I can give extracts from my manuals in return if anybody needs them.

Can't help you with the exam grid, however in relation to the subjects you're going to sit, would you consider replacing Company or Constitutional with Criminal? I think Criminal and Property are good ones to do in your first sitting along with a third subject. I changed my subjects for my second sitting and they definitely helped me get my first 3.

Teamhrach wrote: »
    I'm doing 5 as well but have an exam-free day the first week. I really think you should skip company and/or constitutional to give yourself a better chance at the others though. The exams are exhausting enough. I mailed you before about constitutional; it's easy enough to pass once you're organised etc and you could definitely get it first time in March :)

Thanks for the feedback, that's not a bad idea. I'm considering doing 4 now instead of 5, especially with the timetable!

Can't help you with the exam grid, however in relation to the subjects you're going to sit, would you consider replacing Company or Constitutional with Criminal? I think Criminal and Property are good ones to do in your first sitting along with a third subject. I changed my subjects for my second sitting and they definitely helped me get my first 3.

I did think about switching out Constitutional in favour of another, but I've been studying it for so long now that I feel that swapping it out at this late stage would be too risky. Besides, the only subject other than the three I mentioned that I have notes for is Tort.

Which subjects are the examiners reports useful/essential for?

Squelcher wrote: »
    I did think about switching out Constitutional in favour of another, but I've been studying it for so long now that I feel that swapping it out at this late stage would be too risky. Besides, the only subject other than the three I mentioned that I have notes for is Tort.

Ah that's fine, if you've been studying already you'll be well prepared, you've loads of time.

I found Criminal and Property very useful, especially Criminal, they're very detailed and include loads of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

Does anyone have any advice re tort, it scares the living daylights out of me :0

Any advice on how to approach it , what topics to study would be much appreciated!

The reports for Company are great. He has a paragraph on almost every question in each report and he singles out the topic the question was about and names some important cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

If anyone would have october 2017 + march 2018 reports/papers in EU,Equity, Company, Contract and/or Property - could they please send them to me? It would help me greatly! Thanks.

It's really hard to get into proper study I find... never studied in the summer!

• Advertisement

I found Criminal and Property very useful, especially Criminal, they're very detailed and include loads of cases.

Yeah, definitely criminal, property and EU anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FE1 Lady

Would anybody have an equity grid? I have other materials in exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Do many people actually get the 'magic 3' on the first sitting? just wondering from people's experience

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

jus_me wrote: »
    Do many people actually get the 'magic 3' on the first sitting? just wondering from people's experience

Yes a lot of people do pass the minimum of three on the first sitting.

My boss passed all eight in one sitting. That being said she had a Master's in Law when she sat them and she said she did a bit of study for them the whole year of the master's. So, granted, she would have been studying for them longer than most but passing three or four in one sitting is definitely doable and anyone can if they just put in the study early enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FE!student

I have a Contract manual from 2014. Is this sufficient to prepare for the exam or should I get an up to date one?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Which exams have the highest/ lowest pass rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Does anyone have examiner report for contract in the last sitting? Was there a high pas rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭david_etc

FE!student wrote: »
    I have a Contract manual from 2014. Is this sufficient to prepare for the exam or should I get an up to date one?

This will be fine. The rules that govern contract are well settled and usually derive from very old cases. The only thing I would say is that it always looks good to be able to say "in the recent 2017 High Court decision of [case name] this approach was reaffirmed" - but this is an added bonus as opposed to core study. I don't think there has been any major supreme court decisions in the last four years on any pertinent areas of contract law (although happy for someone to correct me).

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fe1exams2018

does anyone have a reasonably up to date grid for company and EU? I have reasonably up to date grids for the rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭david_etc

does anyone have a reasonably up to date grid for company and EU? I have reasonably up to date grids for the rest

I probably have a close enough Company grid, but I can check later (I am actually looking for a fully up to date grid).

As there is going to be a lot of traffic on here for people looking for grids, I don't know if it is worth a few of us coming together and compiling fully up to date grids for all subjects as of March 2018? I think I should have at least up to 2016 of every subject and then I have the actual papers relating to Criminal, Contract, Equity and Property for October 2017, then Equity, Tort, Constitutional for March 2018.

Would there be any support for this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement