Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FE!student

david_etc wrote: »
    This will be fine. The rules that govern contract are well settled and usually derive from very old cases. The only thing I would say is that it always looks good to be able to say "in the recent 2017 High Court decision of [case name] this approach was reaffirmed" - but this is an added bonus as opposed to core study. I don't think there has been any major supreme court decisions in the last four years on any pertinent areas of contract law (although happy for someone to correct me).

Yes I would be concerned that there are newer cases which would be good to mention but wouldn't necessarily change my answer. I will work with the manual I have for the moment anyway. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭david_etc

FE!student wrote: »
    Yes I would be concerned that there are newer cases which would be good to mention but wouldn't necessarily change my answer. I will work with the manual I have for the moment anyway. Thanks for the reply.

If it's of any comfort, I also used a 2014 manual for the large majority of study and passed (in 2017). If you want some slightly more up to date notes, PM me with an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I probably have a close enough Company grid, but I can check later (I am actually looking for a fully up to date grid).

As there is going to be a lot of traffic on here for people looking for grids, I don't know if it is worth a few of us coming together and compiling fully up to date grids for all subjects as of March 2018? I think I should have at least up to 2016 of every subject and then I have the actual papers relating to Criminal, Contract, Equity and Property for October 2017, then Equity, Tort, Constitutional for March 2018.

Would there be any support for this?

Yeah I have a few updates grids we can update the rest if you want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

Does anyone else find contract excruciatingly boring...?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Teamhrach wrote: »
    Does anyone else find contract excruciatingly boring...?

Is it one of the easier or hard ones? good pass rate? - :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭david_etc

I actually quite like the majority of contract, especially the case law regarding the founding principles (offer, acceptance, consideration) - some good yarns in there.

I don't have have stats but my general understanding is that it is one of the easier exams to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

jus_me wrote: »
    good pass rate? - :)

I've seen a lot of people talk about pass rates on this thread. Do the Law Society release % of people that pass the exams each sitting or are people just gauging this from the general comments in the exam reports?

I've seen a lot of people talk about pass rates on this thread. Do the Law Society release % of people that pass the exams each sitting or are people just gauging this from the general comments in the exam reports?

I think there's a strong enough pass rate for contract which is something. Hated it in college too and just scraped it!

Some of the exam reports mention the % of students who've passed - EU is high, about 70-75%
    Const'l is low I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kasper4

I have up to date grids for company and criminal. Looking to swap for equity, constitutional, and property

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BeepBoopBot

Hello there boys and girls. I’ve been caught on the hop by this whole FE1 lark as my circumstances changed during the week and I’m now in a position to sit my first four in October so I’ve a few questions for people more in the know than I am.

1. I’m going to start studying from tomorrow after work and at weekends, I’ll be able to take two weeks off in September to study full time. Considering I’m taking two exams which I just covered last semester in college, is this generally feasible? I know there are mad variables when estimating other people’s study so just looking for gut feelings 🙂

2. I’m studying off of 4 manuals that are dated 2016. These are the manuals that normally accompany lectures and other resources but sadly i don’t have access to the bells and whistles. Are the manuals and exam papers enough? I’m guessing 2016 is fine because we haven’t had a revolution or the like since.

3. What the heck is a grid and how does one go about building / acquiring them ?

Thanks for any help 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

1. I’m going to start studying from tomorrow after work and at weekends, I’ll be able to take two weeks off in September to study full time. Considering I’m taking two exams which I just covered last semester in college, is this generally feasible? I know there are mad variables when estimating other people’s study so just looking for gut feelings ��

2. I’m studying off of 4 manuals that are dated 2016. These are the manuals that normally accompany lectures and other resources but sadly i don’t have access to the bells and whistles. Are the manuals and exam papers enough? I’m guessing 2016 is fine because we haven’t had a revolution or the like since.

3. What the heck is a grid and how does one go about building / acquiring them ?

1. No idea, it's my first sitting so I am also curious what other people think about it. However from what I understood, some people take 2 months of revisions for 4 subjects - though I have no idea if it's two full-time months or just after work etc... I guess it really depends on your current (un)employment situation.

2. I would assume that the manuals do cover all the syllabus necessary for the FE-1s? If I'm wrong, please correct me! I guess past papers allow you to see what is expected of you. Along with examiner reports, it can help you have a better idea of what is wanted from us.

3. A grid is basically a detailed excel spreadsheet of what chapters were involved in previous examinations. It kind of helps to see and predict what might be on the exam next time or what the general trend is since a few years. I suppose some people do them themselves, then pass it along for others. Basically if you have past papers/reports you could do it yourself even.

Hope it helped!

Now onto some of my interrogations!
    -How long in general is an answer to a question in the exam? For example if it's an essay / problem question? To at least achieve a pass etc.
    -How much case law (when appropriate) should we throw in in a question? Is it only a few or do they expect loads?
    For example, I'm reading an EU manual and so far in the first few chapters there isn't much case law (for example for infringements proceedings or the chapter on free movement of goods) or at least not more from what I remember covering in college - is it enough or do I need to seek additional cases?

Thanks everyone!

lawless11 wrote: »
    Now onto some of my interrogations!
    -How long in general is an answer to a question in the exam? For example if it's an essay / problem question? To at least achieve a pass etc.
    -How much case law (when appropriate) should we throw in in a question? Is it only a few or do they expect loads?
    For example, I'm reading an EU manual and so far in the first few chapters there isn't much case law (for example for infringements proceedings or the chapter on free movement of goods) or at least not more from what I remember covering in college - is it enough or do I need to seek additional cases?

Thanks everyone!

Length of answer
    In my exam questions I wrote the amount of pages I answered per question - an exam I got 64% in I wrote nearly the exact same as one I got 50 in so it honestly doesn't make a difference.
    Try to keep it relevant, and show off ever so slightly if you have time (I'm talking 1-3 sentences, max, no unnecessary paragraphs). The main thing, stick to 33-35 mins per question. It's easier to pick up marks in a new question than to keep at one you've pestered yourself with for 38mins if that makes sense.

Number of cases
    Absolutely depends! Here's an example...
    Criminal law problem questions have a lot of info and the facts usually resemble a case you should've heard of - it might only be one sentence required for the case; but criminal law answers from what I remember needed loads and loads of cases!
    Constitutional questions are a bit more bizarre and you're expected to know then underlying principles and tests and the cases they stemmed from so you'd get by with less cases.

....aaaaand I've just seen it's 5 to 1, AM and here I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Heart Shaped Box

This might be a very stupid question, but for first time FE1 applicants, do you absolutely have to submit a copy of your degree parchment itself?

I know on the application form it says it can be either a copy of the degree or a verifying letter from college - but later in the form it seems to suggest the verifying letter is only acceptable where you haven't physically received your degree yet i.e. you are a graduand awaiting ceremony.

(My issue is that I graduated last year, but my degree is in storage - I have a very recent verifying letter from college but not sure it will be acceptable for someone who graduated a year ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

From my interpretation a letter affirming you have met the requirements will suffice. The latter part you are reading states you only need evidence of your degree which can be the letter previously requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 b.anna

Hi . Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a time limit for entering PPC1 once you pass all 8 exams?

b.anna wrote: »
    Hi . Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a time limit for entering PPC1 once you pass all 8 exams?

5 years from the date of having passed your first 3 fe1s - I THINK! Check the law society website

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

For a first timer - is going into the exam hall easy and straight forward to find seat etc... I find the idea of entering the exam terrifying!!!Do many people opt to stay at the Red Cow?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Lostudent

For a first timer - is going into the exam hall easy and straight forward to find seat etc... I find the idea of entering the exam terrifying!!!Do many people opt to stay at the Red Cow?

Don't worry, you won't get lost. There are a couple different areas within the hotel that you might be sitting, depending on your number - it's worth checking the place out the evening before if you're around, or else getting there a bit early on the morning.

If you're not in Dublin, staying in the Red Cow is pretty common. The Ibis hotel is sometimes quite a bit cheaper (it's very basic, like a travelodge) and is only a 10-15 min walk away from the other side of the roundabout.

If you're nervous, though, stay in the Red Cow for your first exam. Then you don't need to think about showing up on time or getting lost, one less thing to worry about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ucdlaw_2018

Lostudent wrote: »
    Don't worry, you won't get lost. There are a couple different areas within the hotel that you might be sitting, depending on your number - it's worth checking the place out the evening before if you're around, or else getting there a bit early on the morning.

If you're not in Dublin, staying in the Red Cow is pretty common. The Ibis hotel is sometimes quite a bit cheaper (it's very basic, like a travelodge) and is only a 10-15 min walk away from the other side of the roundabout.

If you're nervous, though, stay in the Red Cow for your first exam. Then you don't need to think about showing up on time or getting lost, one less thing to worry about :)

This might sound like a stupid question... but can one walk from the red cow luas to the red cow hotel? Its across the motorway and I'm wondering if there is a pedestrian bridge ?

This might sound like a stupid question... but can one walk from the red cow luas to the red cow hotel? Its across the motorway and I'm wondering if there is a pedestrian bridge ?

Not a stupid question at all, had the same thought myself when I did my first sitting since google maps doesn’t help much. You can walk, there’s a pedestrian path from the stop that runs alongside the luas and motorway for a bit and then a pedestrian bridge that takes you straight to the car park of the red cow hotel.

• Advertisement

I probably have a close enough Company grid, but I can check later (I am actually looking for a fully up to date grid).

As there is going to be a lot of traffic on here for people looking for grids, I don't know if it is worth a few of us coming together and compiling fully up to date grids for all subjects as of March 2018? I think I should have at least up to 2016 of every subject and then I have the actual papers relating to Criminal, Contract, Equity and Property for October 2017, then Equity, Tort, Constitutional for March 2018.

Would there be any support for this?

I absolutely would support this. I can't think of any reason why grids can't all be crowdsourced and posted online for all to see - can't imagine they're subject to any copyright issues.

Incidentally, I've mentioned on this before that I've had in mind a project to put all of my own notes for the FE1s online somewhere, and I'm still just mulling over some ideas in my head for how best to do this. As a test of the concept, here's a blog which currently has my notes on consideration and a Wikia on EU Law Competition law (Art 101).

Curious to get people's feedback on these - if anyone think they'd find these notes useful or have any preferences on blog/wikia format (or can recommend any other free site to set up an FE1 resource), let me know. I'm currently working full time and studying for the last few exams myself, but it's been a dream of mine since studying undergraduate law to put together a genuinely useful, free resource for Irish law students. So many other areas of academia and professional disciplines have amazing online resources, it's a shame we're stuck with prohibitively expensive FE1 grind courses and whatever notes people share on Boards or through friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Ngannou54

Could anyone clarify this for me?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawlad101

Hello everyone.
    Due to a big change in circumstances, I now plan to sit my first 3 FE-1s in October: Contract, Property and Equity.
    I am only starting study this evening and have also just started full-time work in a small law firm.

Does anyone have any tips on where to start and how to manage the balance between full-time working and study?
    Is 3 feasible or should I even push to get 4 done?

I have a law degree and law masters so I am familiar with most of the exam content, it's just a matter of re-learning off my cases and statute. I also have access to the 2016 Griffith College manuals. Is studying these enough or should I be looking to read some of the bigger textbooks?

Thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LawStudent2018

Hi,

First time applying to FE1's. Can someone tell me do the law society send you confirmation that they have received your application before or after the closing date?

Thanks!

The pass rate for company in the last sitting was 68% - in the exam report

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Hi,

First time applying to FE1's. Can someone tell me do the law society send you confirmation that they have received your application before or after the closing date?

Thanks!

About two weeks before the actual sitting if I remember correctly. Dont worry if you sent it they have it and you will hear from them when it suits them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

lawlad101 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.
    Due to a big change in circumstances, I now plan to sit my first 3 FE-1s in October: Contract, Property and Equity.
    I am only starting study this evening and have also just started full-time work in a small law firm.

Does anyone have any tips on where to start and how to manage the balance between full-time working and study?
    Is 3 feasible or should I even push to get 4 done?

I have a law degree and law masters so I am familiar with most of the exam content, it's just a matter of re-learning off my cases and statute. I also have access to the 2016 Griffith College manuals. Is studying these enough or should I be looking to read some of the bigger textbooks?

Thanks guys :)

The problem with doing only three is that if you fail one you're screwed. Sitting four allows you to have a bad paper and still get over the line with the other 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 curlyheadedfck

Has anyone gotten their recheck refund yet? I'm still waiting on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ErinLP44

Hi, 
    I am a student from Belfast, therefore I am so unfamiliar with the FE1 system. I have secured a training contract in a Dublin firm - but first I need to complete my FE1 exams and I have so many questions!
    1) I have just graduated from a law degree in Belfast - but given that the Law in the Republic of Ireland is not the same I have no idea what to expect in terms of how different the content of the FE1 exams will be in comparison to Northern Irish/ UK law. does anyone on here have any experience of moving from Northern Ireland and studying these exams? 
    2) I am not currently in full time work, but have yet to start the preparation and studying for these exams (I plan to sit the first 4 in October this year) - I am leaving myself roughly 8/9 weeks to prepare and only working part time in retail. Is this generally considered to be enough time to comfortably cover 4 subjects? 

3) I am planning to sit Contract. Tort, Criminal and EU - does anyone have any advice/ past experience regarding whether this is a good combination? I have not yet sent the application, so therefore this combination of subjects is not yet set in stone. 
    4) I do have a law degree- but was considering registering for a grind school online for the first set of exams - Ie Griffith, or Independent Colleges (due to the fact I am concerned that the content will be very different from what I have been familiar with in University in Belfast) - can anyone give me recommendations as to whether this is advisable and/or which online courses are the best. 
    Would really appreciate any advice at all!! Thanks

Mod
    Sorry, you may not discuss the various grind schools etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Depends on their price. I have stayed in the Green Isle (good but a long walk). The Ibis (almost as good but closer). In March I stayed in the Red Cow. The hotel is a lot more plush and worth the extra imho.
    Albeit Cheltenham was on, and being stuck in my room 2 days I ended back +forth into Powers next door to help alleviate the boredom, and the total bill was higher in the end lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement