Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

jus_me wrote: »
    For a first timer - is going into the exam hall easy and straight forward to find seat etc... I find the idea of entering the exam terrifying!!!Do many people opt to stay at the Red Cow?
    Depends on their price. I have stayed in the Green Isle (good but a long walk). The Ibis (almost as good but closer). In March I stayed in the Red Cow. The hotel is a lot more plush and worth the extra imho.Albeit Cheltenham was on, and being stuck in my room 2 days I ended back forth into Powers next door to help alleviate the boredom, and the total cost was higher in the end lol.
    ErinLP44 wrote: »
    Hi, 
    I am a student from Belfast, therefore I am so unfamiliar with the FE1 system. I have secured a training contract in a Dublin firm - but first I need to complete my FE1 exams and I have so many questions!
    1) I have just graduated from a law degree in Belfast - but given that the Law in the Republic of Ireland is not the same I have no idea what to expect in terms of how different the content of the FE1 exams will be in comparison to Northern Irish/ UK law. does anyone on here have any experience of moving from Northern Ireland and studying these exams? 
    2) I am not currently in full time work, but have yet to start the preparation and studying for these exams (I plan to sit the first 4 in October this year) - I am leaving myself roughly 8/9 weeks to prepare and only working part time in retail. Is this generally considered to be enough time to comfortably cover 4 subjects? 
    3) I am planning to sit Contract. Tort, Criminal and EU - does anyone have any advice/ past experience regarding whether this is a good combination? I have not yet sent the application, so therefore this combination of subjects is not yet set in stone. 
    4) I do have a law degree- but was considering registering for a grind school online for the first set of exams - Ie Griffith, or Independent Colleges (due to the fact I am concerned that the content will be very different from what I have been familiar with in University in Belfast) - can anyone give me recommendations as to whether this is advisable and/or which online courses are the best. 
    Would really appreciate any advice at all!! Thanks

Can't comment on the NI/RoI element.
    Also Moderator will go berserk if you discuss grind schools lol.

That said, 4 in 8-10 weeks incl should be ok.
    I know Tort is on 02nd and EU the 10th. The other 2 I don't know.

You won't have done Constitutional in the UK jurisdiction so I'd avoid this one until later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Can't comment on the NI/RoI element.
    Also Moderator will go berserk if you discuss grind schools lol.

That said, 4 in 8-10 weeks incl should be ok.
    I know Tort is on 02nd and EU the 10th. The other 2 I don't know.

You won't have done Constitutional in the UK jurisdiction so I'd avoid this one until later.

The Legal Discussion Mods, all lawyers, do their work calmly, efficiently and impartially. We don't do berserk.

However we are discussing increasing the numbers of topics which may be raised by students and apprentices here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Hi, 
    I am a student from Belfast, therefore I am so unfamiliar with the FE1 system. I have secured a training contract in a Dublin firm - but first I need to complete my FE1 exams and I have so many questions!
    1) I have just graduated from a law degree in Belfast - but given that the Law in the Republic of Ireland is not the same I have no idea what to expect in terms of how different the content of the FE1 exams will be in comparison to Northern Irish/ UK law. does anyone on here have any experience of moving from Northern Ireland and studying these exams? 
    2) I am not currently in full time work, but have yet to start the preparation and studying for these exams (I plan to sit the first 4 in October this year) - I am leaving myself roughly 8/9 weeks to prepare and only working part time in retail. Is this generally considered to be enough time to comfortably cover 4 subjects? 
    3) I am planning to sit Contract. Tort, Criminal and EU - does anyone have any advice/ past experience regarding whether this is a good combination? I have not yet sent the application, so therefore this combination of subjects is not yet set in stone. 
    4) I do have a law degree- but was considering registering for a grind school online for the first set of exams - Ie Griffith, or Independent Colleges (due to the fact I am concerned that the content will be very different from what I have been familiar with in University in Belfast) - can anyone give me recommendations as to whether this is advisable and/or which online courses are the best. 

Hi there -- I’m a graduate of Queen’s and the FE1s were an absolute mystery to me even up to a month or two before my first exams! Welcome to the weird world of the Irish qualification process by the way – it’s a convoluted and sometimes baffling process but if I have fumbled my way through 7 of these exams so far so it is very doable! Going through your points:

1. There are quite a few differences between Irish law and English/N.Irish law – but it’s nothing which is mind-bending and luckily the FE1s don’t really require you to delve into fine academic detail on any topic. One thing you might find weird is that even though you’ll be used to explaining in exams how case law on a topic has developed, in the FE1s you will also have to know how the case law developed first in the UK (or Commonwealth) and then whether the Irish courts followed or diverged. So, while cases like Caparo on the duty of care are seminal cases in English law, you will need to know the Irish “equivalent” case and how the Irish courts have approached matters. But having said all that – it’s not difficult to understand and explain the differences, it’s simply a matter of memorising.

2. You have a good bit of time yet but I would really get stuck into studying asap. I arsed about on my first sitting, leaving myself about 4 weeks and was insanely lucky to pass them – but I almost lost the plot in the process and got 50 on the dot on all of them! I will PM you with some advice on acquiring study materials!

3. Tort is considered a tough one, while EU is a big one but has a really high pass rate. Criminal and Contract should present no major issues (just really really make sure you look at lots of past papers – this is crucial). The key thing for your first sitting (I think anyway) is giving yourself at least a day or two between exams when choosing.

4. I never did the classes personally so can’t comment. I’ve got through 7 exams without them but it’s a matter of personal choice and a bit of research as I understand there are sensitivities about discussing the different courses on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

So I've been originally planning to do EU and Constitutional in my first sitting and now I'm starting to wonder if I'm mad since they're both so voluminous. The only kind of positive factor I seem to have is that constitutional has a couple of predictable questions. Would it be worth swapping out EU (as I've done less work) for something else and if so, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

EU is quite predictable too and has a good pass rate! Constitutional scares me to be honest haha please share any tips! :D

• Advertisement

TCPIP wrote: »
    So I've been originally planning to do EU and Constitutional in my first sitting and now I'm starting to wonder if I'm mad since they're both so voluminous. The only kind of positive factor I seem to have is that constitutional has a couple of predictable questions. Would it be worth swapping out EU (as I've done less work) for something else and if so, what?

It depends on your own strengths too. I passed Constitutional on first attempt. It took me 3 sits to do Equity.
    I actually think Constitutional is ok. I really enjoyed the subject, which helps.
    EU is quite a boring subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

EU is quite predictable too and has a good pass rate! Constitutional scares me to be honest haha please share any tips! :D

Const'l is quite daunting until you get into the study. I shared some articles/tips in previous posts - you'll be able to find them through my profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

Other than being a third level student, does anyone have any means of accessing academic journals free/cheap? Trying to do some extra reading for the odd topic (which means I'll probably download them and never ever look at them again!)

I've searched for articles on google scholar but the only ones that are free are via the SSRN website when you register.

Any genuine contract predictions for October? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Nikcan18

Hi would anyone have exam grids for contract EU equity and criminal. Also any tips for studying criminal haven't done it since first year in college and its now 6 years later. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Anyone could please explain to me in plainer words that those of a manual what the "inducement theory" (stemming from the Perrins case) in the topic of secret trusts means. I really do.not.get.it (then I may be a little thick too for stuff I never encountered in college such as secret trusts...). Thanks a million.

And by the way, any predictions for Equity? I saw predictions from the lawschool.ie for the previous sitting and they were scarily accurate, so if someone would have them and share the knowledge... ;).

Any genuine contract predictions for October? :)

This may or may not be helpful to you but, if I was being honest, I would advise strongly against trying to go into predictions on Contract. The essay questions are renowned for being a bit random and so most people get their marks in the problem questions -- where the topics are highly mixed together.

Fortunately the Contract topics are small and you don't need to know them in minute detail.

The key in Contract is having enough of a broad study base to identify the issues in the PQs and apply 5-6 of the key cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ErinLP44

as a combinations for FE1 exams- I was thinking tort, contract , EU and criminal . does anyone have any advice of whether this is a good or bad combination?

as a combinations for FE1 exams- I was thinking tort, contract , EU and criminal . does anyone have any advice of whether this is a good or bad combination?
    Yep I think that's grand, and they're well spaced on the timetable.  EU is big but is marked generously, while in Contract and Criminal you have to cover lots of topics but they're small and pretty straightforward.  Tort can be tough so get stuck in and make sure you get your hands on a good few past papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Joanneom

Hey there,

Would anyone have an uptodateish grid for Equity?

Please and thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Its just the amount of detail in both that's intimidating me. My notes are getting to be alarmingly thick. In terms of tips, all I can see is that there's a consistent selection of broad topics that hon in on the minutiae therein. So taking Q6/2018 there's a question which, on the face of it, appears to be really broad but there's actually only three/four cases one can draw on for answers without adding others which would bring the question on a tangent or else render it just plain wrong.
    It depends on your own strengths too. I passed Constitutional on first attempt. It took me 3 sits to do Equity.
    I actually think Constitutional is ok. I really enjoyed the subject, which helps.
    EU is quite a boring subject.

Yeah, I think I'm stronger on constitutional since I've done more work on it in my thesis too. EU just seems a combination of sales and administration.

Thanks for the advice guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ErinLP44

Hi, 

Hi there -- I’m a graduate of Queen’s and the FE1s were an absolute mystery to me even up to a month or two before my first exams!  Welcome to the weird world of the Irish qualification process by the way – it’s a convoluted and sometimes baffling process but if I have fumbled my way through 7 of these exams so far so it is very doable! Going through your points:

1. There are quite a few differences between Irish law and English/N.Irish law – but it’s nothing which is mind-bending and luckily the FE1s don’t really require you to delve into fine academic detail on any topic.  One thing you might find weird is that even though you’ll be used to explaining in exams how case law on a topic has developed, in the FE1s you will also have to know how the case law developed first in the UK (or Commonwealth) and then whether the Irish courts followed or diverged.  So, while cases like Caparo on the duty of care are seminal cases in English law, you will need to know the Irish “equivalent” case and how the Irish courts have approached matters.  But having said all that – it’s not difficult to understand and explain the differences, it’s simply a matter of memorising.  

2. You have a good bit of time yet but I would really get stuck into studying asap.  I arsed about on my first sitting, leaving myself about 4 weeks and was insanely lucky to pass them – but I almost lost the plot in the process and got 50 on the dot on all of them!  I will PM you with some advice on acquiring study materials!

3. Tort is considered a tough one, while EU is a big one but has a really high pass rate.  Criminal and Contract should present no major issues (just really really make sure you look at lots of past papers – this is crucial).  The key thing for your first sitting (I think anyway) is giving yourself at least a day or two between exams when choosing.

4. I never did the classes personally so can’t comment. I’ve got through 7 exams without them but it’s a matter of personal choice and a bit of research as I understand there are sensitivities about discussing the different courses on here.
    Thanks this is great help for me!! Generally is it rare for people to pass all 8 exams across two sittings?

Less than 10% I think

Less than 10% I think

That seems very pessimistic as a number :eek: . What did you base yourself on?

lawless11 wrote: »
    Less than 10% I think

That seems very pessimistic as a number :eek: . What did you base yourself on?

I got the stats a while back off someone in the know.
    The number of people who never have to repeat an exam is depressing too.
    That's not to say it's unattainable .....

• Advertisement

I got the stats a while back off someone in the know.
    The number of people who never have to repeat an exam is depressing too.
    That's not to say it's unattainable .....

So 90% of people don't get it over 2 sittings! wow that's awful....

Well that's awesome for me that plans to do them over 2 sittings ahaha.... Can someone please lend me a rope already? xD

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

hi everyone! for anyone doing Contract this October any idea how many cases we should know per topic ? I’ve heard people say 10-12, however there’s a considerable amount under a few topics.. just wondering what the average amount of cases are?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭vid36

These stats are not public, I have passed 7 exams over a few years and I think he is correct In my experience with friends, colleagues, acquaintances, the vast majority took 3 or more sittings.

Unless you've a traineeship pending in 12 months, relying on 2 sits to pass 8 is a lot of stress. Aim for 3 sits, with a 4th as a back up. I'm onto my 4th with 2 left.
    I know someone who passed 8 in 2 sits.
    Everyone else I know ..... took them 3, 4, 5....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 10922UCD

I know a few people that passed 4 and 4.i sat 5 and 3 which the minority of my friends did and I was lucky to get them.i learnt the case names in a certain way read the questions properly and if I got a nasty paper I just spent extra time on the questions where I knew I’d pick up marks.that said I had a lonely few months of it and did nothing but study,but it worked for me and I had no cramming at the end.i still get notifications on this post and often email a few posters who are looking for tips.the above was my way of doing things but everyone studies differently.i was no mean the brightest in my class either by the way I just got by with a bit.best of luck to everyone

Honest opinion needed - I'm doing Criminal, property, equity, Eu and adding a 5th

Should I add Constitutional, company, tort or contract ( easiest would be best whatever that may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Honest opinion needed - I'm doing Criminal, property, equity, Eu and adding a 5th

Should I add Constitutional, company, tort or contract ( easiest would be best whatever that may be)

Contract or company i would say but it depends what you did most recently in college. If you have studied the new company act its not a bad subject and having the act with you in the exam I found was very handy for jogging your memory

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭david_etc

The obvious answer is the one you feel most comfortable with, but if all things are equal I say Contract. Overlaps with Property and Equity and is in general a pretty straightforward course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 FE1s2018

Does anyone know if you can claim social welfare while sitting these exams? We won't be full time students anymore and studying for these won't give us a chance to work. Just wondering where the money is supposed to come from to support ourselves through them? Does anyone have any experience with this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement