Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

FE1s2018 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can claim social welfare while sitting these exams? We won't be full time students anymore and studying for these won't give us a chance to work. Just wondering where the money is supposed to come from to support ourselves through them? Does anyone have any experience with this?

I can't comment exactly on social welfare but most people work and study in the evening/ weekends. Maybe taking time off as exams come round. If you want to study fulltime, they will prob tell you to suck it up I'm afraid as they're not FETAC recognised etc. In essence, they're a personal choice. Financially it's tough luck. Though, why tell them you're busy and not available for work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pollybcullen

Hi guys,

Sitting four exams in October. Doing Criminal, Property, Equity and Contract. Have ye any recommendations on topics to focus on for the last three? I know there's no point in trying to narrow down Criminal!

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Would be very grateful to anybody who could pass on an Equity and/or Contract grid from recent years. Many thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Blazedup

FE1s2018 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can claim social welfare while sitting these exams? We won't be full time students anymore and studying for these won't give us a chance to work. Just wondering where the money is supposed to come from to support ourselves through them? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Sign on JSB. Just need your p45.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Any exam technique tips on how to answer 5 in 3 hours? It seems impossible to give quality answers in that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

jus_me wrote: »
    Any exam technique tips on how to answer 5 in 3 hours? It seems impossible to give quality answers in that time.

Practice, keep your answers to the point at all times, there is nothing the examiner hates more than something that is long and unrelated. If they think you are trying to shoehorn in a learned answer then they will punish you marks wise

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Anastaciag94

Would anyone have an up to date EU grid? I can help out with the others!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Anyone have 2018 March reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BeepBoopBot

Hi Friends,
    Looking for EU and Tort grids.
    I have Equity and Company.
    Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Hi Friends,
    Looking for EU and Tort grids.
    I have Equity and Company.
    Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks

Could I trouble you for the equity and company ones please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

Does anyone have an Equity and/or Torts grid that they'd be willing to send me? I've made a Property grid that covers Spring 2018 all the way back to Spring 2011 that I can swap for them. I'll probably do the same for Criminal this evening and tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Becks63976

Hi
    Does anybody have a tort grid they could send on. Please

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Joanneom

Hi there,

Just starting into Constitutional this morning and I'm wondering has any any idea on what topics I should be focusing on- seems like a huge subject and I still have tort to get through.

Any tips would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 legaleagle2010

At this stage has anyone decided what topics they are covering for tort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

Joanneom wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just starting into Constitutional this morning and I'm wondering has any any idea on what topics I should be focusing on- seems like a huge subject and I still have tort to get through.

Do the AG. You could nearly leave out president/referenda as they were on the last paper.

I avoided fair procedure as it's quite vast and could change a few times before the exam. If you are covering Damache etc though be aware of CRH v CCPC. G v Rogers case.

Cases tipped for March 2018 that I don't think appeared so know these
    • CRH plc v CCPC [2017] IESC 34
    • Persona Digital Telephony v Minister For Public Enterprise [2017] IESC 27 CIT v Min for Transport, Tourism and Sport
    • Walsh v Walsh, Brownfield Restoration v Wicklow CoCo o 3; Persona mentioned re rights of access to the courts
    • Merriman & Ors v Fingal County Council – [2017] IEHC 695 (might be under appeal nowl?)
    • Rowlard v An Post [2017] IESC 20
    • PC v Minister for Social Protection [2017] IESC 63
      Know NVH in case it comes up again.

Might find useful articles on these cases via
    Constitutional Project at UCC
    Search on google scholar

Hope that helps, and I cannot stress enough how helpful the Supreme Court book is! I'm always raving about it, but honestly I could've written a case note on most of the cases discussed in the book and couldn't have done that based on the manuals of uni notes/slides!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Teamhrach wrote: »
    Do the AG. You could nearly leave out president/referenda as they were on the last paper.

I avoided fair procedure as it's quite vast and could change a few times before the exam. If you are covering Damache etc though be aware of CRH v CCPC. G v Rogers case.

• Persona Digital Telephony v Minister For Public Enterprise [2017] IESC 27 CIT v Min for Transport, Tourism and Sport
    • Walsh v Walsh, Brownfield Restoration v Wicklow CoCo o 3; Persona mentioned re rights of access to the courts
    • Merriman & Ors v Fingal County Council – [2017] IEHC 695 (might be under appeal nowl?)

Search on google scholar

Hope that helps, and I cannot stress enough how helpful the Supreme Court book is! I'm always raving about it, but honestly I could've written a case note on most of the cases discussed in the book and couldn't have done that based on the manuals of uni notes/slides!

Also have a look at Parliamentary Privilege and the recent Kerins and Denis O'Brien cases!

I agree that the Supreme Court book is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

Equity

Any thoughts on leaving out these topics for equity?
    - DMC
    - Formalities and constitution of trusts
    - Resulting trusts
    - Constructive trusts

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

I'd say you'll be grand for leaving out DMC, I think it was on the paper in March 2018?

General question, what's the stage for people who are studying for 4/5 right now, are you already memorizing etc? I am just freaking out a little bit on my slowness, would appreciate a bit of comparison to either calm myself down or kick myself more to produce more work. *My nerves are thanking you in advance*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

lawless11 wrote: »
    I'd say you'll be grand for leaving out DMC, I think it was on the paper in March 2018?

General question, what's the stage for people who are studying for 4/5 right now, are you already memorizing etc? I am just freaking out a little bit on my slowness, would appreciate a bit of comparison to either calm myself down or kick myself more to produce more work. *My nerves are thanking you in advance*

As someone who has passed 7 so far, I can tell you that many, many people (myself included) will be in the final few days before they get down to memorising.

FE1 study always takes ages because you have to first understand the topics and then memorise an awful lot of them. The first stage is slow with lots of note taking and cases getting jotted down -- and by the time you get into the final 2 weeks you will see your notes have been whittled down to cue cards with a handful of cases.

If you are going slow now that's a good sign -- you have lots of time. Focus on understanding the topics -- and once you do, the cutting down will be easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

As someone who has passed 7 so far, I can tell you that many, many people (myself included) will be in the final few days before they get down to memorising.

FE1 study always takes ages because you have to first understand the topics and then memorise an awful lot of them. The first stage is slow with lots of note taking and cases getting jotted down -- and by the time you get into the final 2 weeks you will see your notes have been whittled down to cue cards with a handful of cases.

If you are going slow now that's a good sign -- you have lots of time. Focus on understanding the topics -- and once you do, the cutting down will be easy!

I totally agree with this, there is no point memorising stuff if you don't understand it, take as long as you need to get your notes condensed whether through practising past questions or just reviewing topics over and over. Once you put in the hours its amazing what soaks in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Joanneom

Search on google scholar

Thank you so much. Very helpful. I have been reading the book over the past few days and it is very good, so thank you for the recommendation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dinn138

Would anyone have an upto date EU grid pleeeease

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Frances94

Hi everyone. I'm doing EU in October.. Anyone else skipping competition law??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 10922UCD

Re constitutional I would study both president and AG as they are short topics you’ll have all the content you need in the constitution to jog your memory and just know couple of cases for each one.itll calm you before exam knowing you are guaranteed a question!

I have left comments on this before but for the new people on this:-

For myself,I found that once in the exam the hardest part was knowing how to structure the answers.i had an intro for each problem question I started ie if someone died in a criminal case,starting point is murder so:murder is defined as x under y legislation under which 2 ingredients must be present x and y.in order to advise x on whether he will be charged with murder it is necessary to identify of the necessary elements are present.if not,manslaughter will be discussed which is defined as x under common law.i will advise x if they are liable under x y or z,discuss potential defences and finally provide a short summary of implications of a guilty verdict etc.

thats my intro that keeps me on track,I assess each point and in my conclusion I say x and y;in conclusion due to x y and z it is probable that x will be found y.in light of the recent decision in x it is also possible that y and therefore x y z;

I used this structure for all problem questions for all exams and ensured that my intro kept my focused on how to address each point and/or red herring the examiner was putting in front of me.With the relevant 5-15 cases thrown in I found myself getting good marks and passing each exam first time.

So basically if all the exam questions are practiced,that encompasses the study and you can focus on (not the nerves or the memory) the exam technique.

(Typing this late so apologies for the lack of structure)

I also found people I spoke to at the time about it didnt go into specifics about how to answer questions,just how awful the exams were and so I didn’t continue engaging with them on it. Once you have a way of remembering the cases (mind maps or otherwise) the rest was not as bad as people made it out to be.

I wouldnt recommend leaving the summarising until towards the end of study but this and the above is just my opinion.i left summarising one topic until the end(property)and it was my lowest mark despite it being one of the easier exams.i still passed it but many of my friends had to repeat a lot of their exams.carry around cards or notes on your phone to summarise when going to shop watching tv or in my case repeating cases over and over with my family and getting them to quiz me on cases or random questions on the topics which I am sure gave them nightmares but for which I am grateful.i still had “me time” and relaxation by the way😀

I would also recommend having a structure so you remember what case follows the next (everyone has their own way-mine was drawing visualisation pictures of familiar areas and associating case names with them in terms of a story) dont go on this at 9.20 the day of the exam,dont spend too long wondering why the same people are going to the bathroom during the exam every two minutes and leave your legislation in the day before the exam.

I read the Supreme Court book right before my exam when the book was released it is amazing and embodies what is really meant by constitutional interpretation.

Watch EU videos on EU websites for summaries you will remember.

Leave a couple of minutes to your cases at end of exam.

Don’t be disheartened if you know a lot of people that haven’t passed exams.You don’t know how they study or how they felt on the day-you are not them!

Dont bring crisps or apples out of respect for those around you and ignore the people around you talking about how much work experience they have before and after exam.It not the place to brag and it looks silly at any time-I had no work exp in big firms and I was lucky and still got a top 5.

Don’t leave your milkrounds applications until week after the exam either you will be exhausted!

Again the above is just my opinion based on my experience.I had noone (sitting the exams at the same time as me) that gave me any advice that helped around the time of my study so I had to pep talk myself.its competitive out there (I fondly remember hearing that I had no hope of passing any if I sat more than 4 exams on my first go) but it’s good to talk on this board to help relieve and not add to the stress of it all.best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

10922UCD wrote: »
    Re constitutional I would study both president and AG as they are short topics you’ll have all the content you need in the constitution to jog your memory and just know couple of cases for each one.itll calm you before exam knowing you are guaranteed a question!

I have left comments on this before but for the new people on this:-

For myself,I found that once in the exam the hardest part was knowing how to structure the answers.i had an intro for each problem question I started ie if someone died in a criminal case,starting point is murder so:murder is defined as x under y legislation under which 2 ingredients must be present x and y.in order to advise x on whether he will be charged with murder it is necessary to identify of the necessary elements are present.if not,manslaughter will be discussed which is defined as x under common law.i will advise x if they are liable under x y or z,discuss potential defences and finally provide a short summary of implications of a guilty verdict etc.

thats my intro that keeps me on track,I assess each point and in my conclusion I say x and y;in conclusion due to x y and z it is probable that x will be found y.in light of the recent decision in x it is also possible that y and therefore x y z;

I used this structure for all problem questions for all exams and ensured that my intro kept my focused on how to address each point and/or red herring the examiner was putting in front of me.With the relevant 5-15 cases thrown in I found myself getting good marks and passing each exam first time.

So basically if all the exam questions are practiced,that encompasses the study and you can focus on (not the nerves or the memory) the exam technique.

(Typing this late so apologies for the lack of structure)

I also found people I spoke to at the time about it didnt go into specifics about how to answer questions,just how awful the exams were and so I didn’t continue engaging with them on it. Once you have a way of remembering the cases (mind maps or otherwise) the rest was not as bad as people made it out to be.

I wouldnt recommend leaving the summarising until towards the end of study but this and the above is just my opinion.i left summarising one topic until the end(property)and it was my lowest mark despite it being one of the easier exams.i still passed it but many of my friends had to repeat a lot of their exams.carry around cards or notes on your phone to summarise when going to shop watching tv or in my case repeating cases over and over with my family and getting them to quiz me on cases or random questions on the topics which I am sure gave them nightmares but for which I am grateful.i still had “me time” and relaxation by the way��

I would also recommend having a structure so you remember what case follows the next (everyone has their own way-mine was drawing visualisation pictures of familiar areas and associating case names with them in terms of a story) dont go on this at 9.20 the day of the exam,dont spend too long wondering why the same people are going to the bathroom during the exam every two minutes and leave your legislation in the day before the exam.

I read the Supreme Court book right before my exam when the book was released it is amazing and embodies what is really meant by constitutional interpretation.

Watch EU videos on EU websites for summaries you will remember.

Leave a couple of minutes to your cases at end of exam.

Don’t be disheartened if you know a lot of people that haven’t passed exams.You don’t know how they study or how they felt on the day-you are not them!

Dont bring crisps or apples out of respect for those around you and ignore the people around you talking about how much work experience they have before and after exam.It not the place to brag and it looks silly at any time-I had no work exp in big firms and I was lucky and still got a top 5.

Don’t leave your milkrounds applications until week after the exam either you will be exhausted!

Again the above is just my opinion based on my experience.I had noone (sitting the exams at the same time as me) that gave me any advice that helped around the time of my study so I had to pep talk myself.its competitive out there (I fondly remember hearing that I had no hope of passing any if I sat more than 4 exams on my first go) but it’s good to talk on this board to help relieve and not add to the stress of it all.best of luck!

Excellent post. Strongly recommend these points to all examinees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

The worst one can do to their self esteem is discuss the exam with others after it. I usually get my stuff put on earphones and go straight to luas. Keep them on the luas too haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Anyone have bullet points/ sample answers for EU and Tort?
    To add to the artillery.

I've the other six passed and misc stuff to swap. PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fe1hun18

Does anyone have an updated tort or contract grid they could send me?

Have tons of sample answers/reports for company criminal and Eu that I’d be willing to swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Opinions about property - can I discard the learning (& understanding) of those chapters: Freehold covenants, Settled Land, Hybrid Estates ? It seems to me they are more old history than anything (and they are really annoying). I've seen they disappeared from the questions since like 2009.

Or is it not safe now that there is a new examiner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Joanneom wrote: »
    Hi there,

• PC v Minister for Social Protection [2017] IESC 63Know NVH in case it comes up again.

Search on google scholar

Could anyone let me know what this Supreme Court book is called / where to get it please?  I've actually passed Constitutional but have a few fellow northerners cracking into FE1s who have only ever studied UK constitutional law (it's quite significantly different).  It would be great to point them towards some helpful material.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement