Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Not sure what caused my above post to come out like that??

Basically I was just looking for the name of that Supreme Court book people have been talking about n this thread for Constitutional law.  I've passed it before but have a few friends doing it who probably find it useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

lawless11 wrote: »
    Opinions about property - can I discard the learning (& understanding) of those chapters: Freehold covenants, Settled Land, Hybrid Estates ? It seems to me they are more old history than anything (and they are really annoying). I've seen they disappeared from the questions since like 2009.

Or is it not safe now that there is a new examiner?

I was delighted with the March paper but a lot were upset about the paper having changed quite drastically. Both 2018 papers were written in January. I'd say the next paper would be different again in terms of topics and maybe even style. I doubt it would be regressive by including historical sort of questions? I'd say you'd be safe enough avoiding :D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Thanks for your answer :D. It would be really mean to dig out these topics I feel haha.

Edit: would anyone have any notes on judgment mortgages over family homes and co-owned properties? I have (pretty bad) scans of a property manual, it's missing pages... I feel it's not very important as distinction from the overall JM but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lmsc

If anyone had an equity and criminal exam grid, I can swap tort, property and EU!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Blazedup

What are your priority topics for Cons?
    Anyone leaving out case note q?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

Blazedup wrote: »
    What are your priority topics for Cons?
    Anyone leaving out case note q?

Try to avoid the mentality of avoiding the case note question. It's luck on the day whether you get cases you know nothing about or are very familiar about. Read Ruadhan Mac Cormaic's 'Supreme Court' book and it will help you understand the most significant older cases and 1-2 of them are likely to appear on the paper. It could end up being one of your best questions so don't be too weary about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I haven't started any study yet. Sitting 4 in October. Am I totally screwed ..

Pyggg wrote: »
    Due to unforeseen circumstances, I haven't started any study yet. Sitting 4 in October. Am I totally screwed ..

I don't think so, if you start now I'm sure you can pull it out if you have the time to study during the day, take notes etc... Don't lose hope. I think it's feasible (I haven't passed any yet though, so I'm speculating).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

There's honestly no answer to that. It very much depends on you and your circumstances. Some candidates are capable of putting in unbelievable shifts. Others aren't. If it was me, working full time and starting from scratch, then no, that wouldn't be enough time. But that's just me. How do you feel yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 frankiejoepat

Are you working full time? How much time do you have to dedicate to full-time study?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Freckley201

Hi all, thinking of doing the one day Griffith course for the subjects I'm sitting in Oct as a final prep, anyone know if its any use or if they give manuals that are any use?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

The short answer is No. My first sitting I procrastinated so bad but still managed to scrape through and in many ways didn't really get properly into it until about a month before (bearing in mind I had three weeks study leave).

Having said that though, that first sitting was outrageously stressful. You still actually have time to cover an awful lot of stuff --- you just have to get into the routine and the sooner you do, the less painful early October is going to be .

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Still doing up notes. Endless note taking. If I am completely honest, I am not now, nor will I be ready for October. However, I am still going to sit them. I will resit in March if needs be.

I was taking notes the day before my last exams and i scrapped a pass.

Its always doable. You could be as prepared as possible and still have a meltdown on the day.

Just work to your pace as best you can and hope for a bit of luck on the morning.

Leraf wrote: »
    Still doing up notes. Endless note taking.

I just started taking notes, if it makes you feel better...

lawless11 wrote: »
    I just started taking notes, if it makes you feel better...

It does, its nice to be in the same boat with someone !! we can sink together :)

I would prefer if be both sailed well and safely, but oh well :D
    We have time. It will be fine *auto pep-talk*

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Smiley283

Could anyone send me the March 2018 paper for Property and Equity?

How much effort is required for criminal law? I have been loaned a 2017 manual and am thinking of sitting it in October along with 3 other subjects.

Would anyone happen to have an Independent Tort Grid? Working from the Independent manual so would be handy. Can swap for anything on Criminal, Property or Constitutional.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Legalmate

If anyone had an up to date Tort grid that would be greatly appreciated. I can offer EU or Criminal in return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

last year i got study leave from mid sep and still got 4 so its never too late if youre keen and have a good realistic timetable!

yournerd wrote: »
    last year i got study leave from mid sep and still got 4 so its never too late if youre keen and have a good realistic timetable!

I will be working all the way up to the 28th September unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Evenings lunches and weekends, I did them last time while working and its hell but its doable. I don't know if that helps or not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Alice Downey

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has up to date grids for Criminal, EU and Constitutional.

Thanks a mill,
    Alice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Yeah I get nothing this year and just finished tax exams, 3 day break and straight into FE1 study! :( #willieverbefinished

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

Hey guys, only applying now as I've been on the fence about doing 3 or 4. I'm graduating in a few weeks after the closing date so I need to send them proof that I'm getting my degree. Do you think a letter from the college saying "congrats on graduating with X degree, we're great and we have good masters courses" on headed paper will suffice? I can't see why not but I'm just nervous.

On another note, what are we thinking for company? The topics seem quite mixed in the way they come up. Obviously SLP, S212, Duties under 228 and the remedies for such breaches but what else do we think? S819 seems popular as does floating charges and crystallisation. Any help is appreciated as I'm pretty much only getting into the swing of things now after a J1, intention was to do a lot over there but that was more difficult than expected working 6 days a week and not exactly in the most ideal of study environments!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Blazedup

Letter from college was sound for me.

From SAA. Stating student course, duration, completion etc

Hey guys, only applying now as I've been on the fence about doing 3 or 4. I'm graduating in a few weeks after the closing date so I need to send them proof that I'm getting my degree. Do you think a letter from the college saying "congrats on graduating with X degree, we're great and we have good masters courses" on headed paper will suffice? I can't see why not but I'm just nervous.

On another note, what are we thinking for company? The topics seem quite mixed in the way they come up. Obviously SLP, S212, Duties under 228 and the remedies for such breaches but what else do we think? S819 seems popular as does floating charges and crystallisation. Any help is appreciated as I'm pretty much only getting into the swing of things now after a J1, intention was to do a lot over there but that was more difficult than expected working 6 days a week and not exactly in the most ideal of study environments!

I sent them my transcript, had a section where it said my degree was completed. Look for something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Chuckler

I worked right up to the start of the exams in both sets of the FE-1's. My technique was to study after work each evening, revise this each morning, learn the main points off by heart at lunchtime. I did not have time for note taking so I relied on GCD PowerPoint/PDF handouts of synopsis of each topic.

The trick is to know a little about a lot. You still have plenty of time if you sacrifice your weekends also and you'll get 4 exams at least using the method above. Apply a more intensive study session each weekend and finally know how to study...rewriting notes is not study. Read, read, read & read again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 fe1exams2018

does anyone have a company grid? have all others to swap

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement