Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fe1hun18

Is anyone aware of any recent case law regarding due course of trial in constitutional law ? (After Doyle, Gormley and White) I know it’s an area that changes often and it wasn’t up in the last sitting so will probably be up this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I forgot to send off my application and I have just now seen the closing date was yesterday. Is there no way they would accept my application if I sent it off now?

They will accept it yes, I've done it before. Stick it in the post first class over the weekend and you will be fine - - - nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 frankiejoepat

They will accept it yes, I've done it before. Stick it in the post first class over the weekend and you will be fine - - - nothing to worry about.

Yeah same thing happened to me. Nothing to worry about. The law society will not refuse money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Frances456

Trying to narrow it down myself and it's so broad, you look like you have a lot there to be honest. I'm focusing on the questions that always come up so;

-DE mixed with damages
    -Article 263 judicial review
    -All the free movement of goods as you can get 2 questions on that sometimes
    -Competition and Equality - worried they'll do a part A part B to choose between them or the competition could be something nasty like mergers
    -Fundamental rights with a focus on Education, Family and where they can restrict (criminality focus)
    - Question on democratic defecit and consider that my institutions question
    - Perhaps a question on the general principles of EU law even though that is so broad its painful

Are you going to bring Prelim Reference procedure into it or where do you see that coming in?

Part A or B questions don't seem to feature on recent exam papers..

I'm also leaving out competition law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Great thanks. Does anyone know if it's possible to hand deliver the application into the Law Society? If I send it by post the quickest it will get there will be Tuesday morning. So I am thinking of going to Dublin tomorrow and hand delivering it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Great thanks. Does anyone know if it's possible to hand deliver the application into the Law Society? If I send it by post the quickest it will get there will be Tuesday morning. So I am thinking of going to Dublin tomorrow and hand delivering it.

I posted mine about two weeks before the exams in a previous sitting, it was not an issue. I have seen people apply for exams in the days running up to the sitting, you will be fine. Honestly. You can ring them to confirm it, if you prefer but I wouldnt be driving to Dublin from wherever to hand deliver it. Post it and dont worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

There's absolutely no need to drive to Dublin. The deadline is there to give them some of breathing room before the exams. There's not a chance in hell that the Law Society will turn away your money. Pop it in the post today and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Townton

Hi all just wondering where the best place to get up to date grids for constitutional, tort., equity and land is.

I have some older ones but they are missing the info from March 2016 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 olliej

olliej wrote: »
    Trying to narrow down topics for EU (am I crazy?)
    Thinking to focus on:
    Institutions
    Judicial Review
    Free Movements (all)
    Direct Effect
    Competition Law
    Fundamental Rights
    Equality

Any advice from anyone who has sat it before??

Trying to narrow it down myself and it's so broad, you look like you have a lot there to be honest. I'm focusing on the questions that always come up so;

-DE mixed with damages
    -Article 263 judicial review
    -All the free movement of goods as you can get 2 questions on that sometimes
    -Competition and Equality - worried they'll do a part A part B to choose between them or the competition could be something nasty like mergers
    -Fundamental rights with a focus on Education, Family and where they can restrict (criminality focus)
    - Question on democratic defecit and consider that my institutions question
    - Perhaps a question on the general principles of EU law even though that is so broad its painful

Are you going to bring Prelim Reference procedure into it or where do you see that coming in?

Seems like the same lines as myself. I will have knowledge of the Preliminary Reference Procedure but I won't commit much time to learning it in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

Frances456 wrote: »
    Part A or B questions don't seem to feature on recent exam papers..

I'm also leaving out competition law.

See I read in one of the reports a couple years ago they said expressly they were done with A or B questions because people were getting confused but they brought it back in and said where A & B were totally different (they did competition vs gender equality) it seemed to confuse less people. That's the only reason I was thinking of lumping them in together. Whats your logic for leaving competition out, can be a technical enough area so I'd like to myself too. They seem to bring a lot of the competition cases up in the cases notes question so I guess they could work it in there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

Seems like the same lines as myself. I will have knowledge of the Preliminary Reference Procedure but I won't commit much time to learning it in detail.

I'm thinking the same, went through it yesterday so I think I'll just keep a knowledge of how it applies. Would you be putting that into the question on the EU principles and consider it a rule of legal certainty and supremacy - You can refer a question to the ECJ who have supremacy and theres legal certainty in that they apply precedence to previous questions?

Honestly, I haven't began looking at where to apply what just yet. I've just read through the manuals and set out the topics I will focus on for each subject I'm sitting. The "real study" starts tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Frances456

See I read in one of the reports a couple years ago they said expressly they were done with A or B questions because people were getting confused but they brought it back in and said where A & B were totally different (they did competition vs gender equality) it seemed to confuse less people. That's the only reason I was thinking of lumping them in together. Whats your logic for leaving competition out, can be a technical enough area so I'd like to myself too. They seem to bring a lot of the competition cases up in the cases notes question so I guess they could work it in there?

Honestly, I just don't want to do competition law. No particular reason other than time constraints. I'm doing most other topics so I figure I should be fine without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 frankiejoepat

Thanks so much for this impressive reply!! I'm kinda intimidated by it but thanks all the same!! I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Does anyone have access to contract law lecture videos?

Can swap for anything or other 7.

#sos

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lmsc

Does anyone know where you can find out what legislation you can bring into which exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 legaleagle2010

Have any of you guys that sat criminal law narrowed down the topics to study?
    People say study everything but there has to be something to leave out!
    thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Freckley201

Looking for manuals (2017 or 2018) for Crim, Prop, Trusts, and EU, if anyone has any PM me. Thanks!!

lmsc wrote: »
    Does anyone know where you can find out what legislation you can bring into which exams?

It’s on the las society website in rules I think! I can send you a screen shot either!

thank you

Unfortunately you need to cover it all to be able to identify all the issues in a problem. Only topic I didn’t focus on was the criminal system courts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Blazedup

Candidates may bring the Sale of Goods Act 1893 and the Sale of
    Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 into the examination.
    Candidates are expected to have knowledge of other relevant statutes
    (see above).

Candidates may bring unmarked copies of the following into the
    examination.
    Succession Act 1965
    Land and Conveyancing Law Reform Act 2009

Candidates are permitted to bring unmarked copies of one of the
    following publications (or earlier/later editions) into the examination
    as Union Treaties and legislative sources:
    The Consolidated European Union Treaties and Charter of
    Fundamental Rights, as published by the Office of Official Publications
    of the EU (2010 editions); OR
    Busby and Smith, Core EU Legislation 2016-17, Palgrave:MacMillan;
    OR
    Foster, Blackstone’s EU Treaties and Legislation 2016-17, Oxford
    University Press.

Bloomsbury Professional’s Companies Act 2014 (2017 Edition)

Constitution

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

thank you

You really do need to have at least a basic knowledge of everything, mainly so that you can recognise whether you can do a question or not. There is so much mixing that it could be easy to miss something important if you didn't study a particular chapter

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fe1exams2018

does anyone have a PDF of EU exam papers? I have PDFs of contract, criminal and tort papers to swap or other materials

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Anyone have tips for Constitutional and any recent cases to look at?

Blazedup wrote: »
    Candidates may bring the Sale of Goods Act 1893 and the Sale of
    Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 into the examination.
    Candidates are expected to have knowledge of other relevant statutes
    (see above).

Candidates may bring unmarked copies of the following into the
    examination.
    Succession Act 1965
    Land and Conveyancing Law Reform Act 2009

Candidates are permitted to bring unmarked copies of one of the
    following publications (or earlier/later editions) into the examination
    as Union Treaties and legislative sources:
    The Consolidated European Union Treaties and Charter of
    Fundamental Rights, as published by the Office of Official Publications
    of the EU (2010 editions); OR
    Busby and Smith, Core EU Legislation 2016-17, Palgrave:MacMillan;
    OR
    Foster, Blackstone’s EU Treaties and Legislation 2016-17, Oxford
    University Press.

Bloomsbury Professional’s Companies Act 2014 (2017 Edition)

Constitution

Where does one buy these materials? Specifically Succession Act 1965 and the LRCRA 2009. It says they don't allow downloaded sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

Where does one buy these materials? Specifically Succession Act 1965 and the LRCRA 2009. It says they don't allow downloaded sources.

I have some of them if you want to message me or have a look on adverts donedeal you might be lucky and find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

So I had a look at last years examiners report on property law and there is a new examiner....paper didn't seem massively different to others, seems to be still a 1 topic per question paper which is good, do ye think the paper will stay the same as other years or are ye expecting the paper to be more like contract or criminal where basically anything can come up? I'm really hoping it doesn't change, would not have the time to do loads of extra property subjects!

Also does anyone know how they mark or have a marking scheme for fe1s? Probably a long shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

user115 wrote: »
    So I had a look at last years examiners report on property law and there is a new examiner....paper didn't seem massively different to others, seems to be still a 1 topic per question paper which is good, do ye think the paper will stay the same as other years or are ye expecting the paper to be more like contract or criminal where basically anything can come up? I'm really hoping it doesn't change, would not have the time to do loads of extra property subjects!

Also does anyone know how they mark or have a marking scheme for fe1s? Probably a long shot!

Both papers were written in January and the examiners don't know which one will be issued to students. Going by that, there shouldn't be too much of a change from the March 2018 format (although he could change up the topics). I wouldn't waste time studying the historical areas of property law - over the next few years I'd say this examiner would modernise the exam a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Teamhrach wrote: »
    Both papers were written in January and the examiners don't know which one will be issued to students. Going by that, there shouldn't be too much of a change from the March 2018 format (although he could change up the topics). I wouldn't waste time studying the historical areas of property law - over the next few years I'd say this examiner would modernise the exam a lot.

Thanks a million for that Teamhrach :) how do you know both papers were written in January, are all FE1 papers written in January and then law society or whoever decides which to go with?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

user115 wrote: »
    Thanks a million for that Teamhrach :) how do you know both papers were written in January, are all FE1 papers written in January and then law society or whoever decides which to go with?

That's all I know! I'd imagine it's the same for all subjects and not a HUGE help in terms of predictions but for property you could maybe rule out Webb v Ireland and treasure trove appearing in October; property registration likely to appear I'd guess. I passed it in March so can't really remember what topics appeared :/

A lot of people I spoke with afterwards were annoyed about it but just keep on writing and you'll get over the line in property. If you realise what you've been writing was wrong (after 3 pages, like me!), say something like "but this scenario is distinguishable in that Harry did/didn't....whereas in the Z case... Therefore, the probable outcome may be....."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement