Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Chuckler

Teamhrach wrote: »
    That's all I know! I'd imagine it's the same for all subjects and not a HUGE help in terms of predictions but for property you could maybe rule out Webb v Ireland and treasure trove appearing in October; property registration likely to appear I'd guess. I passed it in March so can't really remember what topics appeared :/

A lot of people I spoke with afterwards were annoyed about it but just keep on writing and you'll get over the line in property. If you realise what you've been writing was wrong (after 3 pages, like me!), say something like "but this scenario is distinguishable in that Harry did/didn't....whereas in the Z case... Therefore, the probable outcome may be....."
    t

Ha! I used that tactic for all 8 of my FE1s. It showed initiative at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Jimdtug1

Can anybody give me some hints for Company and Contract Law?

What are the topics, similar to Succession in Property, that you are guaranteed a question on in the exam.

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Jimdtug1 wrote: »

What are the topics, similar to Succession in Property, that you are guaranteed a question on in the exam.

Thanks!!
    Check post #4148 of this thread for my two cents on Contract.  

I covered the following for Company and I'm pretty sure had my pick of 7 or even 8 to answer (though see my word of warning below):
    - The main changes brought about by the 2014 Act
    - Constitutional Documentation 
    - Separate Legal Personality
    - Corporate Authority
    - Directors Duties (as well duties arising on insolvency)
    - Restrictions
    - Membership & Shareholders
    - Share Transfers
    - Shareholder Protection (Foss v Harbottle etc etc) 
    - Borrowing (floating charges is an area of law which has seen some recent attention in case law and the Companies Accounting Act 2017 -- it's worth knowing about this as it has been popular on recent papers)
    - Liquidation 
    - Receivership (just bullet points)

My word of warning though is that the March 2018 paper was a relatively nice one (as was March 2017).  Anyone who sat the October 2017 Company paper will know that it was quite a horror show -- one of the most horrible FE1 past papers in recent times.  I would be amazed if another one like that was to come up again soon but having said that, just make sure you go through past papers and be able to answer on 6 of the questions in each year. If you're in that position -- you are landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Jimdtug1 wrote: »

Thanks!!

yes!!! Contract hints would be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭OMGWACA

Hey does anyone have an up to date grid for Tort please? I only have one as far as October 2017! Please and thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

If anyone could send me a constitutional grid I'd be most grateful :)

Doing Tort, EU and Constitutional. As always I'm trying to cut corners where I can but especially for this sitting with such heavy topics!

If anyone has an up to date Tort grid they could send me I'd really appreciate it!

In the meantime, going off a grid 1 sitting off, I was going to cover the following topics;

1. Trespass/Nuisance/Rylands
    2. Duty of Care
    3. Causation/Remoteness
    4. Ordinary Negligence
    5. Vicarious Liability
    6. Occupier's Liability
    7. Trespass to the Person
    8. Products Liability
    9. Defamation
    10. Damages/Quantum
    11. Negligent Misstatement
    12. Nervous Shock

Suggestions, edits? Take out anything, add in anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

Finally got a response off the Office of public works. They quoted me €2.54, 9.65, and 7.62 for Bunreacht na hEireann, LCLRA, and Succession Act respectively. Is this correct? It seems very low prices to me. Just wanted to double check even though I explained I was sitting the FE1s so no doubt they are correct. Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Pyggg wrote: »
    Finally got a response off the Office of public works. They quoted me €2.54, 9.65, and 7.62 for Bunreacht na hEireann, LCLRA, and Succession Act respectively. Is this correct? It seems very low prices to me. Just wanted to double check even though I explained I was sitting the FE1s so no doubt they are correct. Thanks a mill

Yes it seems right. I remember spending less than 20euro on mine. I was surprised how cheap it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

Leraf wrote: »
    Yes it seems right. I remember spending less than 20euro on mine. I was surprised how cheap it was.

Great, thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Pollylou75

Any tips for topics likely to come up in equity and constitutional

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Can anyone tell me what areas of interlocutory injunctions have previously been examined? i.e. what are the important parts? I know Cyanamid principles and Campus Oil are important but just wondering the extent of what is to be known?

Also any general tips for equity would be great!!

holliek wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what areas of interlocutory injunctions have previously been examined? i.e. what are the important parts? I know Cyanamid principles and Campus Oil are important but just wondering the extent of what is to be known?

Also any general tips for equity would be great!!

You should look at the past papers and reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Any tips from those who have passed equity/EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

OMGWACA wrote: »
    Doing Tort, EU and Constitutional. As always I'm trying to cut corners where I can but especially for this sitting with such heavy topics!

If anyone has an up to date Tort grid they could send me I'd really appreciate it!

In the meantime, going off a grid 1 sitting off, I was going to cover the following topics;

1. Trespass/Nuisance/Rylands
    2. Duty of Care
    3. Causation/Remoteness
    4. Ordinary Negligence
    5. Vicarious Liability
    6. Occupier's Liability
    7. Trespass to the Person
    8. Products Liability
    9. Defamation
    10. Damages/Quantum
    11. Negligent Misstatement
    12. Nervous Shock

Suggestions, edits? Take out anything, add in anything?

Maybe throw in Passing Off? Definitely one of the easier topics in my opinion and didn't come in the last two papers so I reckon it's due a run.

Professional Negligence is another one. Hasn't come up since Oct 16 so is probably due a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Any predictions for contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Any predictions for contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 legalspeelman

For Constitutional law, in relation to the case note question, does anybody have any ideas of what cases should be focused on? Or are people not going to prepare for the question, and hope that cases they know come up in the question?

I have looked at DPP v Doyle and DPP v Gormley and White, but unsure what other cases to focus on.

For Constitutional law, in relation to the case note question, does anybody have any ideas of what cases should be focused on? Or are people not going to prepare for the question, and hope that cases they know come up in the question?

I have looked at DPP v Doyle and DPP v Gormley and White, but unsure what other cases to focus on.

You should check past papers. A lot of the case notes are recurring.

You should read the Supreme Court book, its great for the case notes.

You will probably know one or two of the case notes just based on what you are studying in general, so dont worry too much about it.

Tips for equity? Or contract?

• Advertisement

Can you print legislation off irishstatutebook.ie and bring that into the exam? Also can you just bring in the relevant sections rather than printing off an entire act?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Frances456

Can you print legislation off irishstatutebook.ie and bring that into the exam? Also can you just bring in the relevant sections rather than printing off an entire act?

No you can't print the legislation yourself. You have to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

What sort of answer length are people aiming for? I'm doing criminal questions at the moment and, in my view, hitting the answers perfectly with two pages for the ILAC method. I don't see a way to have longer ones with the time constraints either.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

TCPIP wrote: »
    What sort of answer length are people aiming for? I'm doing criminal questions at the moment and, in my view, hitting the answers perfectly with two pages for the ILAC method. I don't see a way to have longer ones with the time constraints either.

From previous answers to this question, there is no exact number of pages required. If you have 2 pages of case law and legislation applicable to the question, you apply that to the question you can pass with 2 pages. You could have 5 pages of waffling on the topic and fail. It all depends on the quality of the content not the quantity.

Frances456 wrote: »

What’s the actual difference? Does it come in a different format?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Frances456 wrote: »

What’s the actual difference? Does it come in a different format?
    I guess potentially it's to do with people using PDF typing to weave notes in among the text of the legislation. It would be quite easy to do, so buying the approved published versions prevents this.

Maybe throw in Passing Off? Definitely one of the easier topics in my opinion and didn't come in the last two papers so I reckon it's due a run.

Professional Negligence is another one. Hasn't come up since Oct 16 so is probably due a run.

Thanks a mill! That's a solid 14 topics. Do you think I could afford to cut any of them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fe1exams2018

for anyone who has passed tort - would you say focusing on past questions is a good way to go? The course seems very broad but when you look back at questions it seems to be the same kind of answers over and over and half of the chapter seems irrelevant, worried about just learning from questions though

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

OMGWACA wrote: »
    Thanks a mill! That's a solid 14 topics. Do you think I could afford to cut any of them out?

I never like to advocate cutting anything out! But I would say you could perhaps spend less time on Nervous Shock and Damages than you could on other topics. They've both been flogged to death lately and the run has to stop some time.

But I wouldn't go into the exam without having some knowledge on both of them so that if you're badly stuck you could claw together a fifth answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

for anyone who has passed tort - would you say focusing on past questions is a good way to go? The course seems very broad but when you look back at questions it seems to be the same kind of answers over and over and half of the chapter seems irrelevant, worried about just learning from questions though

I used to go through the manual fully taking notes and then focus on the past questions. There are a great guide but you need to be prepared for a small twist to the question or an extra part to it so you can't rely solely on them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement