Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 olliej

Leraf wrote: »
    Is there anyone who is still writing notes, and is nowhere near starting to learn it all yet? :confused:

I am still writing notes, I am always the same.  I wont start learning until (hopefully) two weeks before although at this rate it may well be the week before.  Its the joy of working full time with no time off before the exams unfortunately, you just gotta try your best and hope for a bit of luck on the day
    Same same. Working 40 hours a week and lucky to squeeze in 2 or maximum 3 hours in the evenings (of note- condensing, not even proper "studying"). The week before exams will be a cramming session and probably a slight mental breakdown :D

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

Can anyone tell me what topic Q1 from Tort March 2018 is? I know it's a bit similar to Q3 March 2016. Is it Duty of Care for third parties, Home Office v Dorset Yacht? Or is it Nuisance?

Here's the question in case you don't have it to hand:
    "Mary was sunbathing in her garden at home with her son, Michael (aged 17) and his friend Matthew {also aged 17). Michael and Matthew were very excited as they were going to a concert in the capital that evening. They became quite boisterous and were continually jostling with each other playing touch rugby. Mary was increasingly getting annoyed with them as she was finding it difficult to read her book. Moreover they would burst into loud singing every now and then. Mary would continually shout back at them to behave or she would not take them to the concert.
    The boys began playing catch the ball, throwing the rugby ball between them. A couple of times, Michael would throw the ball so hard that it would go into the garden next door and the boys would have to climb over the wall and retrieve it. After a while, Mary's neighbour called over and spoke with Mary, asking for her to stop the boys from throwing the ball into her garden. Mary promised to sort it out.
    Mary asked Michael and Matthew to avoid throwing the ball into the garden next door and instead to throw the ball lengthways down the garden. The end of the garden adjoined a busy road but there were a number of high trees which acted as a windbreak from the road.
    Matthew was constantly throwing the ball so that it would hit off the trees. Mary told Matthew to stop but he replied simply by saying "You are not the boss of me." At one point, Matthew threw the ball so high it got caught in the branches of the trees. Matthew ran over to the tree and, despite Mary telling him to stop, began to shake it vigorously to dislodge the ball.
    Suddenly, the ball went free falling into the road and bounced off Harry's windscreen. Harry panicked, slammed on the brakes and skidded into an adjacent wall.
    Advise Mary as to whether she has any liability to Harry with respect to Matthew's actions."

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Can anyone tell me what topic Q1 from March 2018 is? I know it's a bit similar to Q3 March 2016. Is it Duty of Care for third parties, Home Office v Dorset Yacht? Or is it Nuisance?

DOC for 3rd parties

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Freckley201

Anyone selling any Sample Answers (Griffith, Independ etc) for EU/Prop/Crim/Equity for 2016/2017/2018?

Thanks

Mod

This post may be held to be in breach of Forum rule No 6 re advertising.

However LD mods are reviewing ways of making forum more useful, especially to students at this stressful time - so fire away for now.

However please note we have no mechanism for monitorng or implementing such transactions. Honour system applies

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

anyone know when the UCD Constitutional lecture is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

Pyggg wrote: »
    anyone know when the UCD Constitutional lecture is?

March!

For anyone studying ADMIN OF JUSTICE and the GILCHRIST & ROGERS case, here's a snippet of the examiner's paper at UCD.
    https://twitter.com/ronanlupton/stat...36939912503297

Ronan Lupton has lots more tweets from the event if you go back.

Teamhrach wrote: »
    March!

For anyone studying ADMIN OF JUSTICE and the GILCHRIST & ROGERS case, here's a snippet of the examiner's paper at UCD.
    https://twitter.com/ronanlupton/stat...36939912503297

Ronan Lupton has lots more tweets from the event if you go back.

This thread might be helpful for constitutional October 18:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057791596&page=6

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Quick question about mergers - if there are coordinated effects, it means that the merger will be invalidated by the Commission because of the collective dominance?

Also, if there is an essay on this topic - does it basically involves just an enumeration of articles of the Regulation 139/2004 and the changes? My manual has like 2-3 examples of mergers and that's it.

Also thoughts about the odds of State Aid & Participation being on the EU exam?

Otherwise, I don't think I'm going to bother learning the Private International Law for EU for starters. Nor the detailed history of Treaties even though I do know the succession of them more or less precisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Property
    I am covering:
    Succession
    Easements
    Co-ownership
    Adverse possession(do we need to know much re leasehold?)
    Finding
    Land reg /unreg
    Family (does the marraige act change much re cohab re redress etc?
    Am working off old notes

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

What are people's thoughts on bringing legislation in? In particular Companies Act.. I'm assuming most people probably bring it but considering the size of the Companies Act did you find yourself actually using it much in the exam?

Trying to decide if it could possibly be a bigger distraction than an exam aid.

TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

holliek wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts on bringing legislation in? In particular Companies Act.. I'm assuming most people probably bring it but considering the size of the Companies Act did you find yourself actually using it much in the exam?

Trying to decide if it could possibly be a bigger distraction than an exam aid.

TIA
    Honestly on the night before the exam you will be glad of not having a pile of numbers overlapping all the case names you will have memorised (or indeed legislative exceptions which you won't have to memorise to the letter) -- and as well as that sometimes the legislation can act as a memory trigger.  Because you are assumed to have the Act in front of you, you won't get any credit or extra marks for correctly citing the article numbers or writing out the provisions -- but by the same assumption you may get hit hard for incorrect referencing of numbering or imprecise description of the provisions.

Buy a good bundle of multi-coloured tabs and have your Act tabbed well and colour coded -- you will fly through it.  The cost of the Act is of course a bit of a b*****ks but you might pick a cheap one up online second-hand or just re-sell after the exam to cut your losses (I re-sold mine for 70 for e.g.).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hopefullawyer

Previously re Equity does PE mean Proprietary Estoppel? What do people think will come up for Company and Contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawlad101

Property
    I am covering:
    Succession
    Easements
    Co-ownership
    Adverse possession(do we need to know much re leasehold?)
    Finding
    Land reg /unreg
    Family (does the marraige act change much re cohab re redress etc?
    Am working off old notes

It looks good, I would also throw in mortgages if you have time maybe.
    As for leasehold, I don't have much, just that AP kicks in after leasehold interest is expired.

How is everyone getting on? I don't know how much longer I can take of working full time and studying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

lawlad101 wrote: »
    It looks good, I would also throw in mortgages if you have time maybe.
    As for leasehold, I don't have much, just that AP kicks in after leasehold interest is expired.

How is everyone getting on? I don't know how much longer I can take of working full time and studying :(

Not very well... I only finish up work on Friday, and am still taking notes. I'll be very lucky if I get started learning next week :(

Hope everyone is getting on better than I am at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LawStudent2018

Anyone still waiting on an email from Law Society?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Anyone still waiting on an email from Law Society?

I got the email confirming my application but not the letter with my exam number.

I wouldn't worry, yours will come through soon enough. That's when the real panic sets in as you know there is no going back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 GingerAleSnail

I didn't get any acknowledgment yet but they cashed the cheque alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Hey guys, does anyone have a list of what came up in equity or criminal in March?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Blazedup

What's ur top qs for eu?
    Mine is
    1.citizenship / worker / q
    2. Institutions
    3.jr
    4d.e
    5art101
    6fmog
    7sources and gen principles
    8.equality

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Has anyone bought the first class notes on adverts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭L124

yournerd wrote: »
    Has anyone bought the first class notes on adverts?

Yeah bought one set a while ago to judge - thought it’d make life easy. Found them useless so had to read the manual to make my own notes. Which I’ve to start doing this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I'd be so grateful for an updated contract law exam grid. Thanking in advance.

Hey not sure if it has been posted but was jut reading the Property exam report from March 2018 with new examiner. Explicitly says the failure rate was 15%. He might have been easy as it was his first year but just thought I'd let everyone know to put some minds at ease!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawlad101

Pyggg wrote: »
    Hey not sure if it has been posted but was jut reading the Property exam report from March 2018 with new examiner. Explicitly says the failure rate was 15%. He might have been easy as it was his first year but just thought I'd let everyone know to put some minds at ease!

Yeah hopefully he doesn't want to 'rock the boat' too much in his first year.

Hey guys, does anyone have a list of what came up in equity or criminal in March?

Criminal:
    Q 1 Problem: Causation, Murder, Insanity, Automatism
    Q 2 Problem: Threats, Sexual offences
    Q 3 Essay: Bail
    Q 4 Problem: Murder, Manslaughter, Provocation
    Q 5 Essay: Incitement
    Q 6 Problem: Causation, Complicity, Assault, Harassment, Criminal Damage, Perjury, Contempt, Public Order, Conspiracy
    Q 7 Problem: Theft, Burglary, Deception, False Accounting, Possession
    Q 8 Essay: Omissions

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PuffleHuffLyra

I have a quick question re: constitutional.

How do you know whether to apply the non-delegation doctrine or ultra vires? Do you just mention the presumption of constitutionality and the double construction rule, and say it could go either way for every question, but acknowledge the preference for a constitutional reading (which would result in ultra vires)?

From the case law I always find it difficult to see the reasoning behind how some cases were read as UV whilst others applied the non-delegation doctrine. I'm not confident I'd know which route to go in an exam, especially with a strict time limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Any topics that people reckon would be safe to leave out for Contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hopefullawyer

In relation to Mandatory Interlocutory Injunctions for my notes should I focus on just them or include a little background regarding Mandatory Injunctions in general! Thanks!

Hope everyone is doing okay in their study, only a few weeks left!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Can anyone help:
    I'm looking for the topics of both Tort exams last yr (2017).
    It be much appreciated

• Advertisement

Equity students

I've reached a new low in the FE1 study - "YouTube-ing" definitions! But this channel is very helpful in explaining cases etc :)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuiL_L-CZ1h46CKi-CANc1g/videos

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement