Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Smiley283 wrote: »
    In Re Varko Ltd in liquidation (2012) Gilligan j expressed the view that the 'new model constructive trust has met with limited approval in this jurisdiction. Consider making reference to relevant case law, the use made by the Irish Courts of the new model constructive trust.

Only making out sample essays for this topic now after reading posts on this thread. (I really appreciate all the tips)

Would learning other jurisdictions approach be a waste of ink and time considering the question asks about Ireland? Do I consider remedial constructive trusts and new model constructive trusts to be as one or should do I briefly mention remedial trusts in this essay?

For me, remedial constructive trust is just another name for the new model. Please tell me if I'm wrong anyone. I'd focus on the Irish cases (+ UK precedents).

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Smiley283

lawless11 wrote: »
    For me, remedial constructive trust is just another name for the new model. Please tell me if I'm wrong anyone. I'd focus on the Irish cases (+ UK precedents).

So the decision in Kelly v Cahill bassically makes remedial trusts and new model constructive trusts identical under irish law?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

Smiley283 wrote: »
    So the decision in Kelly v Cahill bassically makes remedial trusts and new model constructive trusts identical under irish law?!

No, because they are one and the same principle anyway? Keane's book says its just another name but I think I read somewhere else (a less reliable source than him) that they're different

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

lawless11 wrote: »
    Just a quick question for anyone doing Equity please - I have the City manual, and in the Chapter on Rescission, there is a part on Equitable Interests & Equities? Is this part important (the distinction mere/naked equities etc.)? Has it been on previous exams? Can I throw it away because I hate it? :confused:

Otherwise, what are people leaving out for Equity?
    I'm not learning secret trusts (even if it's maybe due a run, didn't do it in college, and have no space in my brain left to learn new things), and also ditching out the small doctrines of election/satisfaction/conversion. Not going over Mareva injunctions. Considering not doing the Equitable interests & Equities. Ohterwise I'd say low probability on DMC & Rule of Strong v Bird.

I’m also leaving out secret trusts and ignoring those small doctrines which you mentioned. I’m covering DMC and strong v bird though

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MarkOC95

Any predictions/vital topics for Constitutional?

Badly stuck, only starting to cover it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

holliek wrote: »
    I’m also leaving out secret trusts and ignoring those small doctrines which you mentioned. I’m covering DMC and strong v bird though

I think that I'll cover them too, just in case, they are handy enough and short! Thanks for your reply.

What do people think for Company? Any areas safe to leave out? Any tips on how to handle the exam well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

user115 wrote: »
    Hey Kasey0123! Thanks for sharing your predictions for land really helpful, esp judgement mortgages, I had a look through March 2018 paper and pretty much what you mentioned was what was asked bar freehold estate. I wonder will influence of equity appear in this sitting. Someone mentioned both land papers were written in jan this year so Im a bit worried incase totally different stuff comes up, but I suppose there are the substantive parts that they would need to test based on that I'm gona do
    -finding
    - succession
    - mortgages
    - adverse possession
    - family property
    - easements
    - licences and prop estoppel

For criminal its so broad I think we will just need to cover as broad amount as possible, questions are so mixed, I'm doing- most all principles of criminal law, bail, arrest, detention, homicide, assault, sexual offences, basic knowledge of all property offences, provocation, self defense, dim responsibility, insanity, intox, duress,

For contract I'm hoping I'm okay with O&A, consideration, consumer protection, mistake, misrep, remedies, discharge of contracts, pro estop and exempt clauses

What do you think of contract and criminal topics?

Do you know the name of the JM book? I think self defence in criminal with the new case end of last yr

Has anyone exam reports from March 18?

equity
    I'm covering undue influence - wondering how much of rescission I'd need to know? (Have never looked at it before!) Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Breacnua wrote: »
    Do you know the name of the JM book? I think self defence in criminal with the new case end of last yr

I think the JM book is practice on mortgages, it's not that recent though, I think 2006. Thanks for tip on self defense, I had a look there for recent self defense case couldn't find it what was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

Breacnua wrote: »
    Has anyone exam reports from March 18?

Which ones are you looking for ?

user115 wrote: »
    I think the JM book is practice on mortgages, it's not that recent though, I think 2006. Thanks for tip on self defense, I had a look there for recent self defense case couldn't find it what was it?

There’s a 2017 second edition published now!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 frankiejoepat

I'm doing three subjects this sitting - equity, company, contract. I passed four in the spring sitting. I'm trying to use the same process as last time. I have now covered all of the topics I intend on covering and I feel like I understand the concepts but I'm really only just starting this weekend to sit down and learn it by rote. How does this compare with everyone else in terms of strategy? I have 8 days for each contract and company now and will depend on the 5 day break to get back to equity.

Shout to all the people who are doing this while working full time. Don't know how you manage. I took a few weeks off and still feel seriously under serious pressure.

Best of luck to everyone!

kasey0123 wrote: »
    Which ones are you looking for ?

Contract and property
    I’ve plenty stuff to swap

I'm doing three subjects this sitting - equity, company, contract. I passed four in the spring sitting. I'm trying to use the same process as last time. I have now covered all of the topics I intend on covering and I feel like I understand the concepts but I'm really only just starting this weekend to sit down and learn it by rote. How does this compare with everyone else in terms of strategy? I have 8 days for each contract and company now and will depend on the 5 day break to get back to equity.

Shout to all the people who are doing this while working full time. Don't know how you manage. I took a few weeks off and still feel seriously under serious pressure.

Best of luck to everyone!

Exact same as myself! I’ve only just covered all the topics I intend to learn, now have to get started on the memory game.. I find dedicated multiple days to one subject works for me as I feel I’ve made a good dent in it then rather than doing bits and pieces of everything!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Starting to freak out and can't manage to stay focused at all this weekend..

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawlad101

yournerd wrote: »
    Starting to freak out and can't manage to stay focused at all this weekend..

Relax - there's actually a lot of time left if you put your mind to it! Trying to study while freaking out is a waste of energy I find so do something to distract yourself, make a plan and start fresh tomorrow :)

lawlad101 wrote: »
    Relax - there's actually a lot of time left if you put your mind to it! Trying to study while freaking out is a waste of energy I find so do something to distract yourself, make a plan and start fresh tomorrow :)

I'm also working full time and in work till 8 every day, I just cant find the time!

I'm also working full time and in work till 8 every day, I just cant find the time!

Im working full time too and I only managed to get a few days off the week before I start. Is there any way you could get some time off?

Im working full time too and I only managed to get a few days off the week before I start. Is there any way you could get some time off?

Its the busiest season so its highly unlikely but yeah im going to try! its so unfair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

I just can't get my head around remembering cases :/ I just can't see myself remember so many cases for four subjects, I always get the names confused with ones from different subjects completely!

Pyggg wrote: »
    I just can't get my head around remembering cases :/ I just can't see myself remember so many cases for four subjects, I always get the names confused with ones from different subjects completely!

I'm in the same boat.. even if read into the facts of the case I still cant remember it!

What are peoples study techniques for these exams?

I have material if anyone is stuck or in need. I guess this is a platform to help each other so why not share our strategies if any :confused::confused:

I'm in the same boat.. even if read into the facts of the case I still cant remember it!

What are peoples study techniques for these exams?

I have material if anyone is stuck or in need. I guess this is a platform to help each other so why not share our strategies if any :confused::confused:

I don't know if this helps, but to remember case names, I write a list of the most relevant cases per topic and then a little prompt beside them.

So for example, I'm studying Sexual Offences at the moment and I'll draw up a page after reading the chapter that is like:

R v Fletcher - no force required
    R v Bree - drunken consent is consent
    R v Dica - HIV case
    DPP v Morgan - honest belief

Etc.

I dunno if that helps but that's what I do! :)

I don't know if this helps, but to remember case names, I write a list of the most relevant cases per topic and then a little prompt beside them.

So for example, I'm studying Sexual Offences at the moment and I'll draw up a page after reading the chapter that is like:

R v Dica - HIV case

Etc.

I do that too and it works!
    I put in the year, court and judge's name as a sort of narrative in my head to help me remember what happened first and usually remember most of that in the exam.

For family law cases, I used to think of people I knew with the same initials (even if the people I know didn't know each other). You can do it with celebrities/soap stars...anything that's familiar and you'll remember.

Some people are able to memorise by walking around their house or something?? I'm intrigued if anyone can share how that's done!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Teamhrach wrote: »

R v Dica - HIV case

Etc.

I do that too and it works!
    I put in the year, court and judge's name as a sort of narrative in my head to help me remember what happened first and usually remember most of that in the exam.

For family law cases, I used to think of people I knew with the same initials (even if the people I know didn't know each other). You can do it with celebrities/soap stars...anything that's familiar and you'll remember.

Some people are able to memorise by walking around their house or something?? I'm intrigued if anyone can share how that's done!

There is no need to recall judges names, or even the year. The examiner is looking for proof of understanding of the concepts and the law. Don't be fretting over small insignificant details.
    Sorry if that sounds harsh but I promise you - don't worry about the minute stuff like that.

There is no need to recall judges names, or even the year. The examiner is looking for proof of understanding of the concepts and the law. Don't be fretting over small insignificant details.
    Sorry if that sounds harsh but I promise you - don't worry about the minute stuff like that.

In general, not all answers will need that detail but in terms of understanding, this is what works for ME. Sometimes judges have a history of taking a particular stance on an issue - they could be the leading judge and a few years later in the minority for example.

Teamhrach wrote: »
    In general, not all answers will need that detail but in terms of understanding, this is what works for ME. Sometimes judges have a history of taking a particular stance on an issue - they could be the leading judge and a few years later in the minority for example.

Yeah for certain topics I find it easier to remember it with judges in a narrative format and for other topics I just learn case names. For instance, I think that the undue influence and third party lenders is a good one for remembering judges! :pac:

Does anyone have an up to date equity grid?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LegallyBlonde2

What are people focusing on for company? is it safe to leave out examinership?

• Advertisement

What are people focusing on for company? is it safe to leave out examinership?

I left out examinership

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement