Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawlad101

Is anyone else leaving out Rescission - unconscionability for Equity? I completely forgot about it until now and had mainly focused all my time on Undue Influence

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Heart Shaped Box

Has anyone STILL not heard anything from the Law Society?? Maybe I should the silence as a sign not to sit them...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Has anyone STILL not heard anything from the Law Society?? Maybe I should the silence as a sign not to sit them...

I didn't get mine too. But received an email last week acknowledging the payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭L124

Another poster said was exactly two weeks before exams last year.So, considering the first exam is October 2nd I’m thinking it’ll arrive tomorrow. That or FE1s are cancelled this year. Which would obviously be a real shame.

L124 wrote: »
    Another poster said was exactly two weeks before exams last year.So, considering the first exam is October 2nd I’m thinking it’ll arrive tomorrow. That or FE1s are cancelled this year. Which would obviously be a real shame.

We can only dream :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Heart Shaped Box

definitely a stupid question, but does it matter whether you bring in the Companies ACt 2014 or the 2017 edition?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

definitely a stupid question, but does it matter whether you bring in the Companies ACt 2014 or the 2017 edition?

Probably just the format that differs! I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Anything people would recommend to NOT focus in company? It's not going in really well, so if I could more or less safely cut some topics..

Anyone has an up to date (inc March 2018) Contract Grid? I would really appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gomzu

This is a stupid question I realise- but how many questions do we answer in the exam? 3 or 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭vid36

Gomzu wrote: »
    This is a stupid question I realise- but how many questions do we answer in the exam? 3 or 4?

5 out of 8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

lawlad101 wrote: »
    Is anyone else leaving out Rescission - unconscionability for Equity? I completely forgot about it until now and had mainly focused all my time on Undue Influence

I'm just including a sentence on it in the undue influence answer - I don't have any cases so if it comes up on its own I'll be avoiding...

This is what I'm hoping to cover in detail:
    - [ ] 3 Certainties
    - [ ] Charitable Trusts; Cy-près; Non-charitable purpose trust (haven't started this yet!!)
    - [ ] Constructive Trust
    - [ ] Quit Timet PQ
    - [ ] Mandatory Interlocutory Injunctions EQ
    - [ ] Specific Performance & Rectification
    - [ ] Undue Influence
    - [ ] Estoppel
    - [ ] Secret Trusts

Do you think I'm missing anything important? Mareva/presumption of advancement? I've done the maxims and constitution of trusts also.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Hey does anyone know how to find a case on courts website? I've searched parties names and it's not coming up for me. I have seen it in the paper so there is def a judgement somewhere in it!! I've tried Westlaw and can't find it on there, its a case from central criminal court

Teamhrach wrote: »
    I'm just including a sentence on it in the undue influence answer - I don't have any cases so if it comes up on its own I'll be avoiding...

This is what I'm hoping to cover in detail:
    - [ ] 3 Certainties
    - [ ] Charitable Trusts; Cy-près; Non-charitable purpose trust (haven't started this yet!!)
    - [ ] Constructive Trust
    - [ ] Quit Timet PQ
    - [ ] Mandatory Interlocutory Injunctions EQ
    - [ ] Specific Performance & Rectification
    - [ ] Undue Influence
    - [ ] Estoppel
    - [ ] Secret Trusts

Do you think I'm missing anything important? Mareva/presumption of advancement? I've done the maxims and constitution of trusts also.

It looks good but I think it would be wise to cover injunctions as a whole. It's pretty guaranteed that at least one topic from it will come up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LawStudent2018

user115 wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know how to find a case on courts website? I've searched parties names and it's not coming up for me. I have seen it in the paper so there is def a judgement somewhere in it!! I've tried Westlaw and can't find it on there, its a case from central criminal court

Use Justis website. Far better than Westlaw for cases

Can sometimes rarely get lucky on google SCHOLAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Thanks a mil for that, i searched Justis and Lexius and still nothing :( guess I'll just leave it I don't think the judge has the case up yet cause I searched the court and judge on courts.ie and he only has a handful of cases up, so frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

user115 wrote: »
    Thanks a mil for that, i searched Justis and Lexius and still nothing :( guess I'll just leave it I don't think the judge has the case up yet cause I searched the court and judge on courts.ie and he only has a handful of cases up, so frustrating!

Tbh you don’t need such details for the FE1. They’re more quantity than quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

What's the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

What do you think the likelihood of a PQ on mortgages revolving around vulture funds arising would be? Does anyone know of anything good I could put in an answer in regard to how a farmer may fight a case like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    What do you think the likelihood of a PQ on mortgages revolving around vulture funds arising would be? Does anyone know of anything good I could put in an answer in regard to how a farmer may fight a case like this?

Vulture funds? Is it a thing to know for Property? :pac:#lost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Well just say for example a farmer falls into arrears with his mortgage and the vulture funds try to repossess the farm. You'd apply the same law for that question as you would say if the bank was trying to repossess the farm. I'm just asking if anyone may have come across this type of case at work or if they've heard of any particular way of fighting it? Could gain a person a few extra marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LegallyBlonde2

illy.m wrote: »
    Anyone has an up to date (inc March 2018) Contract Grid? I would really appreciate that.

I have one, send me on your email!

Equity

Has the fiduciary relationship only appeared once as an EQ? (Oct 15 q1)
    I think all the other constructive trust Qs are on strangers/NMCT only??

• Registered Users Posts: 1 laura 94

Does anyone have any tips on what is safe to leave out in torts and constitutional?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 frankiejoepat

Company
    How do people feel about the 5 main reforms question in company law? It has come up 4 of the past 5 years and should be a gimme but the prepared essay that I have from my prep course is really not that easy to learn off... Any decent sample answers floating around the information superhighway?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

lawlad101 wrote: »

Yes I'm the same haven't looked at unconscionability at all!

I read on the law society website something about giving legislation that you are bringing into the exam to them 2 days in advance.. Is that correct? If so, can anyone explain procedure

TIa

holliek wrote: »
    I read on the law society website something about giving legislation that you are bringing into the exam to them 2 days in advance.. Is that correct? If so, can anyone explain procedure

TIa

To get your legislation at 9.30 on the day of the exam you must hand it in the day before. So for example, if the property exam is on the Tuesday 9th October, you hand in your Succession Act on Monday. However, you can hand in the legislation on the morning of the exam and they usually bring it to you about half an hour/an hour after the exam started.

illy.m wrote: »
    To get your legislation at 9.30 on the day of the exam you must hand it in the day before. So for example, if the property exam is on the Tuesday 9th October, you hand in your Succession Act on Monday. However, you can hand in the legislation on the morning of the exam and they usually bring it to you about half an hour/an hour after the exam started.

Do I hand it into the red cow hotel if I'm giving it in the day before?

• Advertisement

holliek wrote: »
    Do I hand it into the red cow hotel if I'm giving it in the day before?

Yeah, there's signs for the examination office (turn right when you go into reception usually).

You might be better leaving it in on the morning of the exam so you can look/highlight the legislation more if you need to (Its an extra 20 or so hours with it!) You'll be reading the paper for a while anyway and probably won't need the legislation straight away when you're in the exam? Just an idea and depends on the exam and how much studying you've done I suppose

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement