Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

For EU I’ve covered;
    Supremacy
    Direct effect
    Citizenship
    Free movement of workers
    Completion law
    Article 263
    Institutions
    General principle
    Member state liability

Any advice on something important I’m leaving out??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

jus_me wrote: »
    For EU I’ve covered;
    Supremacy
    Direct effect
    Citizenship
    Free movement of workers
    Completion law
    Article 263
    Institutions
    General principle
    Member state liability

Free movement of goods?
    Is institutions mad boring or how did you cover it??

Teamhrach wrote: »
    Free movement of goods?
    Is institutions mad boring or how did you cover it??

Sorry I did fmog also! So you think in your opinion that’s enough? Institutions was ‘easy’ compared to others. I personally just looked at each institutions, what it does and how they came about... enough to answer an essay question to show I know what they are.

EU is just so draining I’d love to say that’s all I’m doing and start actually learning the notes but I’m worried it’s not enough! Hope the examiner is lenient with marking haha

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

This is what I intend to cover for Contract

Offer/Acceptance
    Consideration/Estoppel
    Intention to Create Legal Relations
    Formal Requirements/Privity/Capacity
    Terms
    Exclusion/Limitation
    Consumer Contracts
    Misrepresentation/Mistake/Duress/Undue Influence
    Discharge of Contracts
    Remedies/Damages

Would anyone add anything or take anything away? Is it too much, too little? All help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Heart Shaped Box

Anyone still selling the companies Act?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Leraf wrote: »

Offer/Acceptance
    Consideration/Estoppel
    Terms
    Exclusion/Limitation
    Consumer Contracts
    Discharge of Contracts
    Remedies/Damages

Would anyone add anything or take anything away? Is it too much, too little? All help appreciated.

I think Illegal/Void contracts is the only thing you're not covering? I can't imagine you not getting five questions if you've the above covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Offer/Acceptance
    Consideration/Estoppel
    Terms
    Exclusion/Limitation
    Consumer Contracts
    Discharge of Contracts
    Remedies/Damages

I've studied all the same topics. Its the bulk of the syllabus tbh so should be ok. Only extra thing you've done is formal requirements. I haven't brought myself to do it yet.. do you reckon its important?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    What do you think the likelihood of a PQ on mortgages revolving around vulture funds arising would be? Does anyone know of anything good I could put in an answer in regard to how a farmer may fight a case like this?
    LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Well just say for example a farmer falls into arrears with his mortgage and the vulture funds try to repossess the farm. You'd apply the same law for that question as you would say if the bank was trying to repossess the farm. I'm just asking if anyone may have come across this type of case at work or if they've heard of any particular way of fighting it? Could gain a person a few extra marks.
    A "vulture fund" has exactly the same rights (for the purposes of a land law exam) as any other mortgagee.

Know the law as to how a mortgagee may obtain an order for possession and don't get caught up as to their identity. You can drift off on an off syllabus rabbit hole. The only mortgagee with "super powers" you might need to be aware of is NAMA and (someone might correct me here) that may be off syllabus.

You're far more likely to see a problem question that deals with a scenario where you need to discuss whether the land is registered/unregistered and the timing of the mortgage. Start Mortgages v. Gunn [2011] IEHC 275 is a key case here. Statutory reform followed in the 2013 Act.

Sorry I did fmog also! So you think in your opinion that’s enough? Institutions was ‘easy’ compared to others. I personally just looked at each institutions, what it does and how they came about... enough to answer an essay question to show I know what they are.

EU is just so draining I’d love to say that’s all I’m doing and start actually learning the notes but I’m worried it’s not enough! Hope the examiner is lenient with marking haha

I'd imagine so anyway and there's a high pass rate for EU :)

Is everyone still covering material or starting to memeorise notes yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Still doing notes, won't be learning off til week before, not gona stress over it, once you have notes done well have spent the time and understand them its a lot easier to remember rather than just flying through note to have them done

user115 wrote: »
    Still doing notes, won't be learning off til week before, not gona stress over it, once you have notes done well have spent the time and understand them its a lot easier to remember rather than just flying through note to have them done

Agreed, I am still doing notes. I will probably finish them over the weekend. i will then read and reread in the days leading up to the exams and hope it all sticks.

worked last time :(:)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭L124

Still doing notes unfortunately... feel like a complete failure though! So here’s hoping I’m not the only one

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

definitely a stupid question, but does it matter whether you bring in the Companies ACt 2014 or the 2017 edition?

Sections 440 and 621 are amended in relation to the new Companies Accounting Act 2017 which was put in place to deal with the floating charge issues from JD Brian, any other small amendments will be there too but that's the only major major one I can think of or came across

Offer/Acceptance
    Consideration/Estoppel
    Terms
    Exclusion/Limitation
    Consumer Contracts
    Discharge of Contracts
    Remedies/Damages

Seems like loads to me, I've done the same minus Privity as it came up in an essay last year, no duress as it's never came up as compared to the other ones you have with it there and for discharge I only have breach and frustration.

Besides that I have Statutory illegality as its due a run and penalty clauses although I don't fancy it will come up 2 years in a row.

What scares me is the little niche questions like the duty to act in good faith.

I think we should both be ok though.....right? :/

For EU I’ve covered;
    Supremacy
    Direct effect
    Citizenship
    Free movement of workers
    Completion law
    Article 263
    Institutions
    General principle
    Member state liability

You could make an argument for equality but I think you have loads there. I have no supremacy and I only have the institutions done in enough detail to answer the "democratic deficit"

L124 wrote: »
    Still doing notes unfortunately... feel like a complete failure though! So here’s hoping I’m not the only one

You're not, plenty of people still doing notes. I was doing them right up the night before on some subjects and cramming them in on the day of the exam! Dont worry. Everyone works at their own pace and you will be surprised by how much info is now floating around your head from just the note taking part. It always feels like you have done nothing and can remember nothing from what you wrote down 5 minutes ago, but its all in there waiting until its useful on the day.

Seems like loads to me, I've done the same minus Privity as it came up in an essay last year, no duress as it's never came up as compared to the other ones you have with it there and for discharge I only have breach and frustration.

Besides that I have Statutory illegality as its due a run and penalty clauses although I don't fancy it will come up 2 years in a row.

What scares me is the little niche questions like the duty to act in good faith.

I think we should both be ok though.....right? :/

While I am sure we will be ok :/:/:/ I am now totally terrified as I left out statutory illegality as I got bored (true story :O) and duty to act in good faith is not jumping out as something I have covered for Contract!!

It will be fine, it will be fine, it will be fine, it will?

Company
    How do people feel about the 5 main reforms question in company law? It has come up 4 of the past 5 years and should be a gimme but the prepared essay that I have from my prep course is really not that easy to learn off... Any decent sample answers floating around the information superhighway?

I am just using it as an overlap with my topics, so codification of directors fiduciary duties, ultra vires rule gone for ltds, Restriction and Disqualification procedures, gave me an excuse to learn the SAP and I can't decide the 5th, mind me asking what the sample answer goes for? And how long do they seem to be suggesting for sample answers? No manuals and no courses so I'm kind of going into these blind and terrified with no idea what they want.

While I am sure we will be ok :/:/:/ I am now totally terrified as I left out statutory illegality as I got bored (true story :O) and duty to act in good faith is not jumping out as something I have covered for Contract!!

It will be fine, it will be fine, it will be fine, it will?

haha Statutory illegality is boring as hell and is nowhere near as common as the big topics you have and the duty to act in good faith came up once in the last 6 sittings, I wouldn't fret too much :) We really should be ok, most of the time the problem questions will be covered by the big ones you mentioned - O & A, Consideration, Estoppel, Mistake, Misrepresentation, Consumer contracts, exclusion clauses and frustration are very often mixed in the problems and looking back at the last few years you'd have 4 problem questions done just from having them. It's very unlikely there wouldn't be an essay on even one of the rest :)

• Advertisement

haha Statutory illegality is boring as hell and is nowhere near as common as the big topics you have and the duty to act in good faith came up once in the last 6 sittings, I wouldn't fret too much :) We really should be ok, most of the time the problem questions will be covered by the big ones you mentioned - O & A, Consideration, Estoppel, Mistake, Misrepresentation, Consumer contracts, exclusion clauses and frustration are very often mixed in the problems and looking back at the last few years you'd have 4 problem questions done just from having them. It's very unlikely there wouldn't be an essay on even one of the rest :)

Phew! Almost had a meltdown, crisis averted ! as you were ;)

Phew! Almost had a meltdown, crisis averted ! as you were ;)

Apologies for the semi-meltdown, what else are you sitting?

Apologies for the semi-meltdown, what else are you sitting?

Company. Just the two this time, hopefully the last two! You?

Does anyone have notes explaining the general principles (EU) in a short and sweet way I’m really struggling and just can’t follow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawlad101

Can anyone who has sat Criminal Law before give me a hand? Looking through exam papers I'm starting to feel a bit worried seeing full questions on small topics like "outline and discuss the special criminal court", "discuss the presumption of innocence" etc.

Based on the notes I have taken over the last few weeks I wouldn't have enough cases/statute to write full essays on things like this, only a page or two at a push!

Company. Just the two this time, hopefully the last two! You?

Those two as well as equity and EU, first four :/ As someone who's sat them, how long do they look for answers? I've a silly amount of notes for things in equity and can't see myself learning it all.

Those two as well as equity and EU, first four :/ As someone who's sat them, how long do they look for answers? I've a silly amount of notes for things in equity and can't see myself learning it all.

It is a "how long is a piece of string" answer/question. You only get 30/35 minutes for each answer, they cannot be expecting miracles in that time. Get your point across and as a many cases as you can. I was hopeless, no joke. I had 3 pages for some answers, 4 for others, there were times when I wrote 2 cases and times when I wrote 5. It really is about showing them you know what you are supposed to know but I am sure I tied myself up in knots and stop making sense along the way but the start and end seemed ok and were good enough.

Everyone is different, everyone sees the questions differently and answers them differently. Some people can write reams of paper with tonnes of cases some people get to the point in a page or two with a few cases thrown in. Whatever your style, you just gotta show them you can grasp what they are asking and can give good advice to your "client" in an extremely high pressured environment with Red Cow Staff banging around in the kitchen next door to the exam hall and builders outside the window to distract you.

A lot of it is down to luck on the day as well.

Try your best, you will be fine.

It is a "how long is a piece of string" answer/question. You only get 30/35 minutes for each answer, they cannot be expecting miracles in that time. Get your point across and as a many cases as you can. I was hopeless, no joke. I had 3 pages for some answers, 4 for others, there were times when I wrote 2 cases and times when I wrote 5. It really is about showing them you know what you are supposed to know but I am sure I tied myself up in knots and stop making sense along the way but the start and end seemed ok and were good enough.

Everyone is different, everyone sees the questions differently and answers them differently. Some people can write reams of paper with tonnes of cases some people get to the point in a page or two with a few cases thrown in. Whatever your style, you just gotta show them you can grasp what they are asking and can give good advice to your "client" in an extremely high pressured environment with Red Cow Staff banging around in the kitchen next door to the exam hall and builders outside the window to distract you.

A lot of it is down to luck on the day as well.

Try your best, you will be fine.

I thought it would be one of those piece of string style questions. That's actually a big held, I appreciate it, thank you :)

lawlad101 wrote: »
    Can anyone who has sat Criminal Law before give me a hand? Looking through exam papers I'm starting to feel a bit worried seeing full questions on small topics like "outline and discuss the special criminal court", "discuss the presumption of innocence" etc.

Based on the notes I have taken over the last few weeks I wouldn't have enough cases/statute to write full essays on things like this, only a page or two at a push!

Don’t waste time on anything to do with trial in due course (even if you’re taking const’l this sitting). I did an llm in criminal justice so knew the area inside out but it is complex enough; rather than learning the new cases in detail I found my time was better put into other topics that overlap.

If you are doing it law society gazette had a good article on the DPP/Barry Doyle case. That was the extent of my research I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Aoife2012

Hi, do you mind me asking why the suggestion not to study trial in due course? Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement