Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

PROPERTY PQ. CO-OWNERSHIP

Ross and Barbara are an unmarried couple. They live in a property which they co-own as joint tenants. Their relationship is very troubled and almost all communication has broken down between them. The property is held on a long lease and, unbeknownst to Ross, Barbara has made inquiries as to purchasing the fee simple reversion in the property for herself. A draft contract has been drawn up by an estate agent in this regard. Around this time, Barbara (who no longer speaks to Ross) decides to terminate the relationship, and writes a handwritten letter to him expressing this intention and her desire to purchase ‘his half® of the property as a prelude to him moving out. The letter
    is never delivered, however, as Barbara is tragically killed by Tom, a drunk driver, crashing his car into the front of the house. Ross is not named in Barbara’s will and is not entitled to any claim against her estate. He comes to you seeking advice as to his
    remaining interest, if any, in the property after Barbara’s death. Advice him as to his options.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 FE1s2018

If anyone has predictions for contract, criminal, company and EU, I'd really appreciate it. Time is running out for me.

I've covered the below so far, any thoughts?

CONTRACT
    O&A
    Consideration and Estoppel
    Intention
    Capacity
    Exemption clauses
    Terms
    Consumer Protection
    Discharge
    Misrepresentation / Mistake/ Duress, Undue Influence, UB
    Remedies

Leaving out Illegal contracts, F&E requirements, Privity and Agency- is that too much?

CRIMINAL

AR
    MR
    Complicity
    Public Order Offences
    Offences Against Justice
    Homicide
    Non Fatal Offences Against Person
    Sexual Offences
    Offences Against Property
    Incohate Offences
    Self Defence/ Duress/ Provocation/ Necessity/ Intoxication/ Insanity/ 'Other Defences'

Was going to leave out like chapter 1 of the manual and Practice and Procedure as they're usually standalone questions?

Any and all help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭L124

Townton wrote: »
    Can dig them out for you tomorrow. PM to remind me though.

Is it the same 9 they recommend every sitting so?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jazzypatty89

TORT - Does anyone have an up-to-date grid, pretty please?? Have things to swap :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Proctop_

Company:
    What are people covering?
    Reforms
    Directors duties
    Restrictions & disqualifications
    Single legal personality
    Share transfer
    Corporate borrowings
    Winding up

Do you think capacity & authority will come up?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

FE1s2018 wrote:
    CONTRACT O&A Consideration and Estoppel Intention Capacity Exemption clauses Terms Consumer Protection Discharge Misrepresentation / Mistake/ Duress, Undue Influence, UB Remedies

FE1s2018 wrote:
    AR MR Complicity Public Order Offences Offences Against Justice Homicide Non Fatal Offences Against Person Sexual Offences Offences Against Property Incohate Offences Self Defence/ Duress/ Provocation/ Necessity/ Intoxication/ Insanity/ 'Other Defences'

Both look good to me and similar to what i am covering. I was going to include privity but heard it not likely to come up and u have to take risks somewhat i suppose well for those of us working fulltime.

I think there should be a scheme where your marked differently like even a few percent if u prove working fulltime till the end. It so unfair people who get like a month off work or more to study and you could be marked right after them and have worked twice as hard really ;(*

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

any solid contract predictions at all guys? I’m literally starting contrant only now - so it would really help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Family
    Is the FH protected by marriage act 2015 my understanding is it is not? I cannot find anything on it. I know the fhpa did not extend to the civil and co ha b 2010. Any help appreciated x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

Family
    Is the FH protected by marriage act 2015 my understanding is it is not? I cannot find anything on it. I know the fhpa did not extend to the civil and co ha b 2010. Any help appreciated x

Yes - the 1976 Act protected the matrimonial home and that's why civil/unqualified cohabitants were not protected by it. Same-sex married couples are now covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Family

Part 4 of the 2010 Act provides for rights of civil partners in respect of the family home, that are in substance the same as the FHPA regime.

For cohabitants, there is a "safety net" in Part 15 of the 2010 Act. If cohabiting for 5y (or 2y if children together) and is financially dependent on the other.
    Court may make some orders if it's satisfied it's just & equitable to do so (S.173(2)).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Proctop_

Both look good to me and similar to what i am covering. I was going to include privity but heard it not likely to come up and u have to take risks somewhat i suppose well for those of us working fulltime.

I think there should be a scheme where your marked differently like even a few percent if u prove working fulltime till the end. It so unfair people who get like a month off work or more to study and you could be marked right after them and have worked twice as hard really ;(*

I know!!! I’m working full time as a legal secretary in my firm the interns get 6 weeks off! 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Blazedup

Proctop_ wrote: »
    I know!!! I’m working full time as a legal secretary in my firm the interns get 6 weeks off! ��

What firm

Mod
    No names here pls

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

Smiley283 wrote: »
    These are the Equity Topics I have that Griffith told us to cover.

1. Injunctions
    2. Express Trusts
    3. Charitable Trusts
    4. Resulting Trusts
    5. Trusteeship
    6. Tracing
    7. Specific Performance
    8. Constructive Trusts
    9. Undue Influence

Can anyone send me Undue influence sample answers or mortgage sample notes/answers?! PLEASE!

For injunctions did they say to focus on any in particular? For constructive and resulting I'm wondering the same? I'm just worried about something crazy specific coming up in certain areas like last year bringing up quistclose when its 5 of 900 pages in Biehler

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

Proctop_ wrote: »
    Company:
    What are people covering?
    Reforms
    Directors duties
    Restrictions & disqualifications
    Single legal personality
    Share transfer
    Corporate borrowings
    Winding up

Do you think capacity & authority will come up?

Thanks

In order I'm doing

-SLP
    -Directors
    -Shareholder Remedies
    -Winding Up
    -Floating Charges
    -Receivership
    -Examinership
    -Dividends
    -Restriction
    -Shares
    -SAP

If I've time I'll do ultra vires and ostensible authority, I probably should have put them ahead of the last 3, but regarding the order I think 2/3 of liquidation, receivers and examiners could come up with the latter two maybe even mixed. I don't fancy something specific as share transfer and restriction to come up 2 years in a row and SLP, Directors (likely 228, 231 & 238 maybe in a problem) and shareholder remedies are good for 2 questions again most likely, leaves you with needing 1 more

Do I seem mad with my logic or ?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Natalie_06

Does anyone have EU sample answers? I have other material to swap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Any recent case law in contract that should be mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭HappySlappy123

In order I'm doing

-SLP
    -Directors
    -Shareholder Remedies
    -Winding Up
    -Floating Charges
    -Receivership
    -Examinership
    -Dividends
    -Restriction
    -Shares
    -SAP

If I've time I'll do ultra vires and ostensible authority, I probably should have put them ahead of the last 3, but regarding the order I think 2/3 of liquidation, receivers and examiners could come up with the latter two maybe even mixed. I don't fancy something specific as share transfer and restriction to come up 2 years in a row and SLP, Directors (likely 228, 231 & 238 maybe in a problem) and shareholder remedies are good for 2 questions again most likely, leaves you with needing 1 more

Do I seem mad with my logic or ?

I agree with you on the directors Q, although I also wouldn't be surprised with a nice essay on different types of directors etc, has appeared in a couple past papers.

Also think Authority, Realisation of Corporate Assets, and Reckless and Fraudulent Trading could all be due a spin, as I agree with you that I don't think share transfer and restrictions will come up as they have done two sittings in a row (here's hoping anyway as I haven't time to get them learnt)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Fuguestate

I'm in two minds about cutting out certain sub-topics. For example, my lecturer said she's never seen tenders or delay come up in an Offer question. But is it too risky?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ethan90

Fuguestate wrote: »
    I'm in two minds about cutting out certain sub-topics. For example, my lecturer said she's never seen tenders or delay come up in an Offer question. But is it too risky?

Tenders is only like 3 cases
    Harvela (Couldnt accept ref bid)
    Howberry Lane ( Privilege Clause, could accept any bid)
    Smart Telecom (Ref bids only where expressly permitted)

Delay can just be 1 case
    Ramsgate Victoria (revoked by delay, Offer to buy shares not accepted for 6 months)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Natalie_06

I think that landlord and tenant law will come up for property

has anyone got any sample answers on it in the past couple of years or have notes on any of the 2 pieces of legislation?

residential tenancies amendment act 2015
    planning and development act 2016

please pm me, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Fuguestate

Ethan90 wrote: »
    Tenders is only like 3 cases
    Harvela (Couldnt accept ref bid)
    Howberry Lane ( Privilege Clause, could accept any bid)
    Smart Telecom (Ref bids only where expressly permitted)

Delay can just be 1 case
    Ramsgate Victoria (revoked by delay, Offer to buy shares not accepted for 6 months)

Cheers, I take your point. But the above are just two examples, whereas I've heard all four or my levtueres say similar things about numerous topics. Combined, it adds up to a fair amount or case law when I'm already bursting at the seems. But yeah, no shortcuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Anyone think it's relatively safe to leave out Damages and Defamation considering how often they've come up the last few years...?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Natalie_06 wrote: »

has anyone got any sample answers on it in the past couple of years or have notes on any of the 2 pieces of legislation?

I think it's highly possible yes. What is the second act you're looking notes for though? I don't think I have heard of it *worried*. Or is it just part of the Residential Tenancies Acts 2004-2016?
    Edit: answered myself by googling x).

please pm me, thanks

Commercial leases defintely coming up. I would say a PQ. Especially considering he said it was worrying nobody knew about business equity and how much it is used in practice.

Landlord and tenant act 1980-1994; business equity, long user equity and improvement equity. Also compensation for improvements and disturbance. S.46,s.47,48,58

Also good to know you can renounce your rights under business equity when entering into the contract. Weren’t able to do this until the civil law 2008 Bill but now you can!

The exceptions under a.17(1)(a)(iv) and 17 (2)

& Deasys Act. If RTA comes up again probably will be the same question, maybe include tenant obligations too this time round...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LawStudent2018

kasey0123 wrote: »
    Commercial leases defintely coming up. I would say a PQ. Especially considering he said it was worrying nobody knew about business equity and how much it is used in practice.

Landlord and tenant act 1980-1994; business equity, long user equity and improvement equity. Also compensation for improvements and disturbance. S.46,s.47,48,58

Also good to know you can renounce your rights under business equity when entering into the contract. Weren’t able to do this until the civil law 2008 Bill but now you can!

The exceptions under a.17(1)(a)(iv) and 17 (2)

& Deasys Act. If RTA comes up again probably will be the same question, maybe include tenant obligations too this time round...

Both exam papers are written at the start of the year so he wouldn't necessarily have known that people don't understand Business Equity. I would say it's far more likely on the March 19 paper than the October 18 one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Does anyone have EU sample answers? I have other material to swap :)

I have answers send me your email!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mariealice

Just wondering if any has any equity sample answers from the past 2/3 years that they would be willing to share please? Would be greatly appreciated!����

Both exam papers are written at the start of the year so he wouldn't necessarily have known that people don't understand Business Equity. I would say it's far more likely on the March 19 paper than the October 18 one

Yeah Very true! But if he is going to examine that topic again I’d say we can expect to see it in a problem question whether it’s a commercial lease, residential or a lease/license distinction type Q!
    I had him in College and the fe1 exam was identical to our summer exam, bar 2 questions from the college one, so I’m hoping they’ll now appear this October!
    Wishful thinking lol.

One was on commercial leases the other freehold estates!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Smiley283

For injunctions did they say to focus on any in particular? For constructive and resulting I'm wondering the same? I'm just worried about something crazy specific coming up in certain areas like last year bringing up quistclose when its 5 of 900 pages in Biehler

Hi, I actually didn't do the course.. my friend did the course and sat equity (passed first time- see there is hope! 😜) last march and gave me their notes during the summer so I'm not too sure whether or griffith give their students specific aspects of topics to focus on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Smiley283

Has anyone a march 2018 property law paper and hopefully a examiners report they could share with me?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement