Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

kasey0123 wrote: »
    Yeah Very true! But if he is going to examine that topic again I’d say we can expect to see it in a problem question whether it’s a commercial lease, residential or a lease/license distinction type Q!
    I had him in College and the fe1 exam was identical to our summer exam, bar 2 questions from the college one, so I’m hoping they’ll now appear this October!
    Wishful thinking lol.

One was on commercial leases the other freehold estates!

Guys, I thought that about the exam papers too but one of the lecturers said its not like that for every subject so maybe with the new property examiner, he might have said he'd prefer to draft the October paper after the March sitting...? Hard to know whether he'll upset the applecart!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Teamhrach wrote: »
    Guys, I thought that about the exam papers too but one of the lecturers said its not like that for every subject so maybe with the new property examiner, he might have said he'd prefer to draft the October paper after the March sitting...? Hard to know whether he'll upset the applecart!

I reckon they have set rules that papers need to be drafted in Jan. Suppose we will never know though! Such massive lack of transparency with law society don't know why they can't just publish a marking scheme and have an approved booklet of information we need to know like every other professional exam in the country so much time wasted trying to figure it out......and then examiners complaining that students use unapproved course etc. Would save everyone so much time and stress! Such a load of nonsense!!.....rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sheamyboy

Hi, what are people covering for Constitutional?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Does anyone have any advice for contract?

I failed it last time and I’m studying again and I just don’t know how to do it again I don’t know what I’m doing wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Property
    Reading through comments about this new examiner which has me worried. I've been studying for the style paper of the old examiner. Does this new guy mix questions and has he changed the style of the paper? Business equity and leases re commercial assume this is landlord tenant i always avoid this question /topic o_o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Property
    Reading through comments about this new examiner which has me worried. I've been studying for the style paper of the old examiner. Does this new guy mix questions and has he changed the style of the paper? Business equity and leases re commercial assume this is landlord tenant i always avoid this question /topic o_o

I think you will be fine relying on old papers. When I did the paper in March I felt it was different but nobody else noticed so don’t worry too much! Focus on succsssion and you will have 2/5 question!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

For Equity, is there a need to look at Mareva injunctions in a worldwide context?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mariealice

For Equity, is there a need to look at Mareva injunctions in a worldwide context?

This might be a bit risky but I am leaving out Mareva as it came up in March of this year and it tends to come up every second sitting and has never come up twice in a row. Mandatory Interlocutory injunctions is looking most likely or quia timet so if your looking to narrow injunctions down you would probably be safe enough to leave out Mareva :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

Property

Ah don't worry at all!! If anything I think he has an easier style than the past papers and he is a generous marker :) Doesn't generally mix topics from my experience, only thing you might have is a random licence scenario in an AP question or an easement in an AP question but these are small things...

If you're doing succession that's 2 questions. And if you are doing mortgages that's 3 for sure so sure you've already nearly passed!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

mariealice wrote: »
    This might be a bit risky but I am leaving out Mareva as it came up in March of this year and it tends to come up every second sitting and has never come up twice in a row. Mandatory Interlocutory injunctions is looking most likely or quia timet so if your looking to narrow injunctions down you would probably be safe enough to leave out Mareva :)

I'm leaving out Mareva too... would be SICK if it came up.. Quia timet Probelm Q pleaseee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Predictions for company?

I looked over some exam papers yesterday and not sure I'm covered!! This is what I've done:
    -Incoporation
    -Seperate legal personality
    -Corporate authority
    -Ultra vires
    -Directors (duties and to whom they owe their duties)
    -Restrictions and disqualifications
    -Shareholder protection
    -Shares (appointment, floatation and the prospectus)
    -Corporate Borrowing
    -Receivership (duty to get best price)
    -Liquidation
    -Realisation/disposition of corporate assets

Any thoughts on what I've covered greatly appreciated

holliek wrote: »
    Predictions for company?

I looked over some exam papers yesterday and not sure I'm covered!! This is what I've done:
    -Incoporation
    -Seperate legal personality
    -Corporate authority
    -Ultra vires
    -Directors (duties and to whom they owe their duties)
    -Restrictions and disqualifications
    -Shareholder protection
    -Shares (appointment, floatation and the prospectus)
    -Corporate Borrowing
    -Receivership (duty to get best price)
    -Liquidation
    -Realisation/disposition of corporate assets

Any thoughts on what I've covered greatly appreciated

Looks pretty solid , if you have time maybe throw in reckless and fraudulent trading I think its due a run but I reckon you should be pretty well covered! (I hope , I've covered more or less the same as you but I've done fraudulent and reckless trading and reform and left out liquidation)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 niamhcmon

Does anyone have any recent sample answers for contract and tort that they'd be willing to swap? The ones I have are from a few years back but I can send them on to anyone that would like them. I also have up to date grids for both subjects. Thanks!

Are you allowed do rough work on the paper provided? I often draw out spider diagrams before doing my answer and wondering is that ok?

Some of my college lecturers were fine and actually wanted to see rough work but others were strongly against it and it had to be in seperate booklets etc so just checking to protocol for these exams!

Am I correct in thinking that these are both short enough topics?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

holliek wrote: »
    Are you allowed do rough work on the paper provided? I often draw out spider diagrams before doing my answer and wondering is that ok?

Some of my college lecturers were fine and actually wanted to see rough work but others were strongly against it and it had to be in seperate booklets etc so just checking to protocol for these exams!

I did rough work at the very start of each exam. Same booklet, page 1 was just my scribbles. Do what you need to do get the information down.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

holliek wrote:

holliek wrote:
    Some of my college lecturers were fine and actually wanted to see rough work but others were strongly against it and it had to be in seperate booklets etc so just checking to protocol

I usually scribble on the exam paper but it isn't a problem to have a rough work paper at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

Am I correct in thinking that these are both short enough topics?

Quia Timet is very short and nice and the interlocutory injunctions can be intricate enough but if you get it it's quite short too. The pattern I see is one of Mareva/Anton Pillar/Quia Timet every year and then one year they threw in Interlocutory as well as Anton Pilar (Autumn 2017)

Looks pretty solid , if you have time maybe throw in reckless and fraudulent trading I think its due a run but I reckon you should be pretty well covered! (I hope , I've covered more or less the same as you but I've done fraudulent and reckless trading and reform and left out liquidation)

With the reckless and fraudulent trading what detail are you going into? It hasn't come up in the last 6 sittings I don't think and just trying to prioritise myself. With the reforms, you're probably looking at the 5 reforms question, what reforms are you going with? I was trying to do an overlap with my actual topics so I've gone Directors duties being codified, SAP (just in case it came up), abolition of the UV rule and the restriction and disqualification proceedings (they changed I think?) I'm not sure what else to do that would overlap with the topics as I'm not sure what actually changed. Any suggestions appreciated :/

Our lecturer said we'd be idiots to leave the mareva out because the examiner wasn't happy with how it was answered in March?? I'm not going to spend as much time on it though.

• Advertisement

For ultra vires in company law I've learnt about the objects clause and powers. Is gratuitous dispositions important? If so, can anyone simply explain it to me? I'm trying to understand it and just can't!!:confused:
    Besides powers and object clauses is there any other essential parts to ultra vires?

holliek wrote:
    Some of my college lecturers were fine and actually wanted to see rough work but others were strongly against it and it had to be in seperate booklets etc so just checking to protocol

I usually scribble on the exam paper but it isn't a problem to have a rough work paper at all.

All my college lecturers encouraged it! Try to do the rough work in the answer book in case something slips your mind when answering the q fully. At least they can see you had thought of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FE1 Lady

To anybody who has passed Constitutional? Any tips on structure etc? I am petrified everytime I look at past questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Aoife2012

Hi, the person beside me requested an extra booklet during one of my exams for rough work and was refused (and not happy about it) in March. I don't know the rule/protocol in relation to extra booklets but I usually do my rough work on the last page of my booklet and mark it as rough work. The Examiner may see something you didn't include in the answer and it's better to have it there than in the exam paper that you leave with, the way I look at it.

Our lecturer said we'd be idiots to leave the mareva out because the examiner wasn't happy with how it was answered in March?? I'm not going to spend as much time on it though.

Oh ok , I hadn't heard that, that was just my view on the matter , maybe they will switch up the pattern and ask it twice in a row but I'm screwed if they do because I don't have enough time to cover it :/

With the reckless and fraudulent trading what detail are you going into? It hasn't come up in the last 6 sittings I don't think and just trying to prioritise myself. With the reforms, you're probably looking at the 5 reforms question, what reforms are you going with? I was trying to do an overlap with my actual topics so I've gone Directors duties being codified, SAP (just in case it came up), abolition of the UV rule and the restriction and disqualification proceedings (they changed I think?) I'm not sure what else to do that would overlap with the topics as I'm not sure what actually changed. Any suggestions appreciated :/

I have done reckless and fraudulent trading in decent enough detail in that I condensed the notes from the manual into 5 handwritten pages and it was short enough so I'm learning it as well as I can but its not one of my main topic areas if that makes sense? Its just as a back up as it hasn't come up for a while and I just feel like it could be due a run? For reforms I've taken : codification of directors duties, abolition of UV , SAP, introduction of restriction and disqualification undertakings and introduction of two step registration process (this will come up under borrowing by the company if you are doing that chapter):)

Well that's terrifying, would be horrible to go in with Quia Timet, AP, Mandatory Interlocutory and then Mareva to come up :(

I have done reckless and fraudulent trading in decent enough detail in that I condensed the notes from the manual into 5 handwritten pages and it was short enough so I'm learning it as well as I can but its not one of my main topic areas if that makes sense? Its just as a back up as it hasn't come up for a while and I just feel like it could be due a run? For reforms I've taken : codification of directors duties, abolition of UV , SAP, introduction of restriction and disqualification undertakings and introduction of two step registration process (this will come up under borrowing by the company if you are doing that chapter):)

5 handwritten pages of notes sounds like it could be a lot of cases! Makes sense though, just as a back up I understand. You're right in that it's not up a while so they could have a look. I was doing borrowing only so far as floating charges and crystallisation as they like that so much but I suppose if all that's needed extra is the registration process it's not a huge amount extra to add on? Thank you :)

Surely the whole 5 reforms has to break soon enough though? Or do they really want people to know about the differences?

So confused re: injunctions at the moment. Do we need to know general info e.g. elaboration on Campus Oil test and instances in which it isn't to be applied, and info re: damages as adequate remedy and laches/acquiescence etc? Sorry, having a panic at the moment :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

So confused re: injunctions at the moment. Do we need to know general info e.g. elaboration on Campus Oil test and instances in which it isn't to be applied, and info re: damages as adequate remedy and laches/acquiescence etc? Sorry, having a panic at the moment :(

Yeah it's the basis of interlocutory injunctions + can apply to Quia Timet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement