Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

Teamhrach wrote: »
    14 flashcards with at least 10! To be fair, there's a lot of them I don't have a clue what they're about but they're backing up one sentence/important point.

I haven't studied like this before so I won't be recommending it until I pass, at some stage :rolleyes:

Well that's terrifying but I understand, it was my style in college too and once I put equity away tonight and EU tomorrow til the break it'll be how I'll be studying contract and company. If you understand your cases and you can reduce it down to being able to recite 15 cases on a flashcard then surely it's the easiest way to remember such quantity?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

See I had that and had to find a few more that in truth are not that useful because with 7 I thought I'd only be able to write a page to two no? But don't be silly and let me scare you, I'm just finding it hard to get out of the undergrad style of quality over quantity, everyone has their own way!

I suppose yes, then it's a short topic - I mean I have no idea how much of an upgrade of standard it can be (in 30min to write), but personally I don't think I'm able to do much more than 2,5-3 pages?
    How would you imagine the standard to be? Throw 15 cases out and write 4 pages in half an hour? *I mean, if you can, sure it's excellent aha* I just don't think I can do that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Hey, at least now we know, if you were answering that style QT problem what way would you be going at it?

Mandatory QT? The more I think about it the more I think she wouldn't put it on cause it would be covering a lot.

But if it did come up I'd set out Campus Oil test first. Explain the departure at first limb for Mandatory Injuctions. Cite Lingham etc.
    Then I'd go into the QT element. Explain the higher evidential burden. Cite Zsabo and others.

lawless11 wrote: »
    I suppose yes, then it's a short topic - I mean I have no idea how much of an upgrade of standard it can be (in 30min to write), but personally I don't think I'm able to do much more than 2,5-3 pages?
    How would you imagine the standard to be? Throw 15 cases out and write 4 pages in half an hour? *I mean, if you can, sure it's excellent aha* I just don't think I can do that :(

I don't think it can be must more than undergrad, in fact I actually think it's probably a downgrade. Kilcommins who does criminal (and is about the loveliest guy you'll meet) gave us a talk on it last year and said that while undergrad is huge detail on small topics with academics for days, FE1s are far more about quantity and application. So because you're going in learning 8-12 topics you can only have 10-15 per topic and while if she gave you a problem question on specific performance with loads of issues you might be able to write for days, if she asks new model constructive trust or the defences of specific performance you cant really have that much to give.

Mandatory QT? The more I think about it the more I think she wouldn't put it on cause it would be covering a lot.

But if it did come up I'd set out Campus Oil test first. Explain the departure at first limb for Mandatory Injuctions. Cite Lingham etc.
    Then I'd go into the QT element. Explain the higher evidential burden. Cite Zsabo and others.

Yea I think I would do the development of campus oil for both QT and mandatory interlocutory. I think you're right though, it would likely be a mandatory interlocutory or just a straight prohibitory QT, most likely a problem. I also think it will be one or the other because while interlocutory came up with Anton Piller a year ago, they're totally dissimilar, in this case there's a large overlap with interlocutory and QT - both going back to campus oil at their root if that makes sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

That's rough. Do you mind me asking what you did different the time you passed versus the times you didn't? Couldn't agree more with that point, there's so much in equity you just can't know it all.

Actually, I found it isn't as voluminous as other bigger subjects. It is just the worst in my opinion. It's all subjective though.
    I think I went 44-47-51. I can't say for sure what i did the final time. I actually did a 6th Q in desperation.
    Just write as much as you know as what worked in uni earned me a failure here

Actually, I found it isn't as voluminous as other bigger subjects. It is just the worst in my opinion. It's all subjective though.
    I think I went 44-47-51. I can't say for sure what i did the final time. I actually did a 6th Q in desperation.
    Just write as much as you know as what worked in uni earned me a failure here

47 is horrible, a 6th question is brilliant though, considering it was 51 they definitely appreciated the effort / desperation!

Considering the discussion up above how many cases were you getting into questions?

Which case is Lingham, I don't know it which scares me...

Lingham v HSE (2006) It's the Campus Oil of Mandatory Interlocutory Injunctions. Instead of asking if there's a fair and bona fide question to be tried (first limb in campus oil), the plaintiff has to establish that he has a strong case that he will likely succeed at trial.

47 is horrible, a 6th question is brilliant though, considering it was 51 they definitely appreciated the effort / desperation!

Considering the discussion up above how many cases were you getting into questions?

In Equity..... hmmmm if I recall about 5 or so per question I think. I think I listed every case out once, at home, and there was about 300.
    It's not about listing off cases. Out of context name dropping cases will irk an examiner.
    Once you can structure a working answer you should pass. Of course a couple of cases to back up your answer helps. If you can't recall a case just leave a space but make the point.
    People get obsessed about learning all parties and years etc.
    In real life you need know how to solve a problem. Academic commentary and spouting cases is fine in uni but in FE1s it'll earn you a fail

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FE1 Lady

FE1 Lady wrote: »
    To anybody who has passed Constitutional? Any tips on structure etc? I am petrified everytime I look at past questions!

The fake legislation is a bit daunting at first but look at the past exam papers to see what issues he wanted to be teased out and then engage with material on that. As you're reading write notes on a black A4 and use arrows and colours (if you think it will help). It's not too bad at all. Someone said const'l is just about your opinion and that can never be wrong - so you'll have the legislation, YOUR opinion, maybe some academic commentary added in and cases. The Supreme Court book is a great help. I'd actually recommend it before doing anything else for constitutional. Constitutional Project at UCC blog is good. Read around the important recent cases - blogs, newspapers, maybe twitter. Just make sure you understand the main principes of const'l law, have a few cases for each and have your own opinion.
    Sorry if none of that makes sense but hopefully it will when you've done some more work / nearer the exam :)

Thanks Teamhrach - So much to study and so little time. I actually bought the Supreme Court book but haven’t even read it! I’ll start reading it ASAP!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

FE1 Lady wrote: »
    Thanks Teamhrach - So much to study and so little time. I actually bought the Supreme Court book but haven’t even read it! I’ll start reading it ASAP!!

You don't need to read allllll of it....
    I didn't highlight anything on these pages - I either didn't read it or it wasn't as important for anything FE1s-related:
    15-50; 72-83; 98-111; 127-155; 176-195; 217-251 (but do extradition if you're studying the AG); 299-331; or anything after p365.

Usually one q on the president, ag or referenda appears, so AG would be due in October maybe.
    I'd say the examiner will soon cop on about people reading that book and won't put on the older case note questions like Buckley and McGee!

In Equity..... hmmmm if I recall about 5 or so per question I think. I think I listed every case out once, at home, and there was about 300.
    It's not about listing off cases. Out of context name dropping cases will irk an examiner.
    Once you can structure a working answer you should pass. Of course a couple of cases to back up your answer helps. If you can't recall a case just leave a space but make the point.
    People get obsessed about learning all parties and years etc.
    In real life you need know how to solve a problem. Academic commentary and spouting cases is fine in uni but in FE1s it'll earn you a fail

300 for how many subjects?

Thanks for this, it's a relief to hear it's not all about the rote learning and regurgitating :)

300 for how many subjects?

Thanks for this, it's a relief to hear it's not all about the rote learning and regurgitating :)

300 for Equity.
    Sure with about 15 - 20 topics you can have 300 cases.
    Forget the exact figure.
    Think I did it as I was bored and wanted a distraction.
    Point being you can spout cases all day but concentrate on answer structure.
    Compare sample answers and learn the structures/ get inspiration if lost

300 for Equity.
    Sure with about 15 - 20 topics you can have 300 cases.
    Forget the exact figure.
    Think I did it as I was bored and wanted a distraction.
    Point being you can spout cases all day but concentrate on answer structure.
    Compare sample answers and learn the structures/ get inspiration if lost

Sorry I got mixed up as I thought you were saying you only had 5 for some questions and I thought you were saying you had 60 topics then.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Are u allowed to use the bathroom during the exams or is it a no no

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FE!student

Sorry I got mixed up as I thought you were saying you only had 5 for some questions and I thought you were saying you had 60 topics then.

I've passed EU, Property and Criminal and I would say the maximum amount of cases I had in one answer was about 8, sometimes less. I would have prepared more but usually that's all I could remember! It's mentioned a lot in examiners' reports about students writing down all they know about a topic, I assume this includes writing about cases which are completely irrelevant to the specific issues. Having said all that I've failed equity so maybe you shouldn't listen to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Fuguestate

Yeah it can be both. Last time QT came up (October 17 I think?) it was a mandatory interlocutory injunction. The guy was looking to make the other party hand over some paintings on foot of an agreement.

Are you sure? City Colleges don't have that question as QT and the Examiner's Report doesn't refer to QT either.

FE!student wrote: »
    I've passed EU, Property and Criminal and I would say the maximum amount of cases I had in one answer was about 8, sometimes less. I would have prepared more but usually that's all I could remember! It's mentioned a lot in examiners' reports about students writing down all they know about a topic, I assume this includes writing about cases which are completely irrelevant to the specific issues. Having said all that I've failed equity so maybe you shouldn't listen to me!

I passed contract last year with about 5 or 6 cases per answer.

Fuguestate wrote: »
    Are you sure? City Colleges don't have that question as QT and the Examiner's Report doesn't refer to QT either.

Yeah I realised my mistake last night and corrected myself.
    Ah lads I think I made a balls of this. Just looked at my grid and it was just Mandatory Interlocutory in Oct 17 not QT.

So yeah if ever QT was due a run it's now.

I blame the sleep deprivation :o

Yeah I realised my mistake last night and corrected myself.

I blame the sleep deprivation :o

It can easily happen.

On a serious note, make sure to get enough sleep. The last time I sat these was in 2017 and fatigue caught up on me right at the end. I was sitting outside the exam hall waiting on equity I literally couldn't think of 2 cases for any topic. It finally started trickling back to me during the exam but by then it was too late. I ground out 42% but a good night's sleep would have gotten me over the line. Missed out on the magic three. Sickener.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

What are people learning for the topic of ultra vires for company?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fe1exams2018

holliek wrote: »
    What are people learning for the topic of ultra vires for company?

I did a short course and the lecturer didn't say much about ultra vires in terms of it being a priority, I've done notes on it but thinking now I might prioritise other areas that are more likely to come up? He said it doesn't seem too likely considering it hasn't come up since October 14 (if my grid is correct) not long after the act came in

Does anyone have any tort predictions from any of the courses?

FE!student wrote: »

You're making me feel much better, equity is one of the scarier ones though I think.

I did a short course and the lecturer didn't say much about ultra vires in terms of it being a priority, I've done notes on it but thinking now I might prioritise other areas that are more likely to come up? He said it doesn't seem too likely considering it hasn't come up since October 14 (if my grid is correct) not long after the act came in

Does anyone have any tort predictions from any of the courses?

What kind of predictions were they going with? Ostensible authority is probably more likely in that kind of neck of the company woods I think?... maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

jus_me wrote: »
    Are u allowed to use the bathroom during the exams or is it a no no

Not within the first 45 mins or the last hour (I THINK - double check with the invigilators). During the time you're allowed to go, you can leave your seat without asking.
    You're allowed a drink and a snack (despite what the letter said)

Not within the first 45 mins or the last hour (I THINK - double check with the invigilators). During the time you're allowed to go, you can leave your seat without asking.
    You're allowed a drink and a snack (despite what the letter said)

Excellent, was about to ask about water & snack. I need it for my brain to work. A little bit of sugar rush for the 3 hours.

Excellent, was about to ask about water & snack. I need it for my brain to work. A little bit of sugar rush for the 3 hours.

Thank god, was thinking it wasn't the best circumstance to think in for 3 hours, no food, water or toilet! Remember fondly the penny mixes I brought into the leaving cert!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Just paid for the Companies Act and I've never wanted to cry more in my life.

TCPIP wrote: »
    Just paid for the Companies Act and I've never wanted to cry more in my life.
    It's painful. It's the price of an exam itself, which is... awful?!

• Advertisement

It's painful. It's the price of an exam itself, which is... awful?!

I'm not getting it myself as I'm fairly stuck at the moment but would you be clever and hang onto the receipt and maybe return it if its unmarked? Good chance they'll take it back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement