Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Natalie_06

Does anyone have property (any) and equity solutions (from 2011) that they could share? thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

I imagine I'll use it in practice so I got them to throw in a VAT receipt and I'll try get my firm to run it through at least to get a few quid back. Suffice to say I've never been as passionate about access to justice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

I think I've asked / at least read it before but EU topics......
    - Free movement of goods
    - Free movement of workers / citizenship
    - Judicial review
    - Direct effect of directives
    - Institutions
    - Equality
    ^^ This should be sufficient, right?
    I haven't looked at competition law and only starting to study EU properly today. I don't think I'll be doing the case note question either

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Smiley283

Has anyone passed equity first time? It's one of my first 3 exams :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 44 redyellow greenblue

Smiley283 wrote: »
    Has anyone passed equity first time? It's one of my first 3 exams :-(

Passed first time in March - so did everyone else I knew sitting it. Found other subjects much harder - all personal preference I suppose. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 byrne7

Teamhrach wrote: »
    - Free movement of goods
    - Judicial review
    - Institutions
    - Equality
    I haven't looked at competition law and only starting to study EU properly today. I don't think I'll be doing the case note question either

Maybe chuck in General Principles also and I’m pretty sure that’s everything I plan on covering!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

- Free movement of goods
    - Judicial review
    - Institutions
    - Equality

Analysed it last night in detail!

I'm going in with:
    -Direct Effect and member state liability
    -Article 263
    -Article 34 & 36 FMOG
    -Article 30 & 110 Taxation
    -Equality
    -Citizenship
    -Question on Democratic Deficit
    -Fundamental Principles

The reason I'm breaking them up that way is that the questions are quite repetitive. 5/5 of the last sittings have had direct effect of directives and mostly with some MS liability. 5/5 have had 263 and usually a problem but once or twice a very general essay. 4/5 have had MEQR Arts 34 & 36. 1/5 has had sex equality on its own and 2/5 mixed with other equality but it came up last time so not as likely now. 4/5 and the last 4 in a row we've had citizenship. We're due an essay or looking at the pattern add some extra focus to an intra EU worker who is being usurped of educational grants. The reason I split Article 30 on taxation away is the last 2 in a row its come up as its own question distinct from 34/36 and sometimes on the same paper and once mixed with it but we can't expect 3 in a row on its own sadly.

Those first 3 questions involved 2/3 of Democratic Deficit/Law Making with the odd focus on the Parliament, Fundamental Principles of EU Law or Member States Autonomy with law. Sadly I've not done the latter and it wasn't up last year so it likely will this year, but one of the other 2 should be up as well.

I'm going in fairly risky but you should be ok. My institutions is very bare and pretty much just related to law making the the democratic defecit but if the other 4 are strong it shouldn't be an issue.

byrne7 wrote: »
    Maybe chuck in General Principles also and I’m pretty sure that’s everything I plan on covering!

Thank you, I had that on my list too! It's not too bad a subject really :pac:

Thank you, I had that on my list too! It's not too bad a subject really :pac:

If you're doing equality you can put in a lot of that, if you're doing criminal liability in direct effect you have material for non retro activity and if you did ECHR and fundamental rights in Undergrad you can throw in that too!

For Judicial Review are you guys doing preliminary reference procedure? I did it in college and I think its a nice topic but it doesn't seem all that relevant sadly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 jazzypatty89

Does anyone know whether FULL case names are necessary? Rather than just the first part of it? One of my prep course lecturers is finally grading my homework and has just said that full case names are needed, citing both Plaintiff and Defendant. He's the expert but I didn't realise this!!

Does anyone know whether FULL case names are necessary? Rather than just the first part of it? One of my prep course lecturers is finally grading my homework and has just said that full case names are needed, citing both Plaintiff and Defendant. He's the expert but I didn't realise this!!

I will be trying to get the full ones in where I can but I certainly won't be leaving cases out where I can't remember the full names. I think if they're looking at your standard and it's borderline they surely have to give you some credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

I've passed 6 FE1s and I haven't always put both parties down. Prob half the time I list one party and a year. Depends on the brain.
    From my experience thus.... No you don't need to obsess over it

For EU directives question it's likely going to concern in some part criminal / non criminal liability of non state bodies. Does anyone have many cases for that? I only have 3 for criminal liability and 3 for non criminal. Is there much case law on it?

Criminal - Kopinghuis Nijmegen , Knug Grongard & Allan Bang , Lemmens
    Non Criminal - Arcaro, Centrosteel, Kofoed v Skatteministeriat

Anything else would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Frances456

For EU directives question it's likely going to concern in some part criminal / non criminal liability of non state bodies. Does anyone have many cases for that? I only have 3 for criminal liability and 3 for non criminal. Is there much case law on it?

Criminal - Kopinghuis Nijmegen , Knug Grongard & Allan Bang , Lemmens
    Non Criminal - Arcaro, Centrosteel, Kofoed v Skatteministeriat

Anything else would be appreciated!

Why do you think it'll likely be that? Don't think I've seen any similar q before.

Frances456 wrote: »
    Why do you think it'll likely be that? Don't think I've seen any similar q before.

In the most recent Spring one he was being charged for the time period before it was brought into the state (as they were late) partially and so that could be retroactive criminal charges.

In Autumn 17, which has it more clear cut, the concert company were going by the Irish law and not by the EU law as it hadn't been brought in yet. He got injured during the time where the Irish law was late to come in and he's seeing if he has a case against the concert company. You'll be able to talk about indirect liability and marleasing and von colson and that but I'm just wondering about the cases on criminal and non criminal liability for retroactive cases.

I could be reading it all wrong but that's just the way I'm interpreting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 legaleagle2010

EQUITY Is there an savior out there in this world that would have some sample notes/essays on equity?
    I find it hard to narrow down the chapters into notes that make sense

If it helps i have some criminal and property to swap

If you're doing equality you can put in a lot of that, if you're doing criminal liability in direct effect you have material for non retro activity and if you did ECHR and fundamental rights in Undergrad you can throw in that too!

Thanks for all the tips. This is all a bit mind-boggling (such is the stage of my studies) but I did European Human Rights during my llm, mostly ECHR-based though.
    Someone sent me a guide from the Griffith course, it's very helpful if you want it PM me with your email address!

I've passed 6 FE1s and I haven't always put both parties down. Prob half the time I list one party and a year. Depends on the brain.
    From my experience thus.... No you don't need to obsess over it

Yeah, if you can't think of the case name, say "In a decided case, ...." and jot down whatever you remember about it

Thanks for all the tips. This is all a bit mind-boggling (such is the stage of my studies) but I did European Human Rights during my llm, mostly ECHR-based though.
    Someone sent me a guide from the Griffith course, it's very helpful if you want it PM me with your email address!

No worries, I'm exactly the same, trying to get EU in a position where I can cram if after the first 2 because I'm onto the company and contract grind. I'll be putting that stuff in for sure if I answer that question, I think he doesn't mind it being very general from the reports on that question. Thank you, I really appreciate that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawlad101

Yeah, if you can't think of the case name, say "In a decided case, ...." and jot down whatever you remember about it

Thank you! I never knew how to word it. Back in college exams I always left out cases I couldn't remember the names for even if I knew the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mariealice

Does anyone have a sample answer on cy pres that they could send me please? Have some tort/equity/constitutional sample answers i could swap ? :)

mariealice wrote: »
    Does anyone have a sample answer on cy pres that they could send me please? Have some tort/equity/constitutional sample answers i could swap ? :)

Had a look and I don't, sorry. Look at past reports to see what you'd need in an answer and then write bullet points or an essay based on that (depending on how you prefer to study). This is all I have so far:

* Cases of initial impossibility versus cases of supervening impossibility
    * But §47 Charities Act 1961 expanded upon that - know §47
    Re Worth Library [1995]
    §50 1961, LRC 2000, Re Endacot
    Re Rymar [1895]
    Biscoe v Jackson [1887]
    Re Jenkins [1966]).
    Re Satterthwaite’s Will Trust [1996]
    Re Lysaght [1966]
    Re Jordan [2014] - Examiner LOVES this case!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

The night before notes are up for October

http://www.citycolleges.ie/wp/fe1-night-before-notes/

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Any guesses for the case note Q in EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Any hints for criminal, contract or land from Griffith or Indep??

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawlad101

For property - does anyone know if you're allowed bring in the LCLR 'Explanatory Memorandum' that came with my legislation order it just the legislation itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

lawless11 wrote: »
    Any guesses for the case note Q in EU?

M v minister for justice perhaps? Just delivered in July

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

lawlad101 wrote: »
    For property - does anyone know if you're allowed bring in the LCLR 'Explanatory Memorandum' that came with my legislation order it just the legislation itself?

Just the act itself. They will send you away with the rest to leave in the hall outside, not allowed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

M v minister for justice perhaps? Just delivered in July

I think the papers are done in the beginning of each year, so too recent :).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement