Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SteveD92

Could anyone who has a copy of recent Company exam papers by any chance be able to get in touch please?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

I think you're safe, I'm going in with something very similar and without rectification even unless I get it done. Not doing satisfaction, only thing you're missing quite likely is constructive trusts.

Honestly I think all the following will be up - Cy Pres, Tracing, Specific Performance, Injunctions (QT or Mand Inter), 3 Certainties and Constructive Trusts. Leaves room for one of trustee duties or undue influence and then the note, but that's probably my terrified hopeful logic.

I missed my lecture for Constructive Trusts and couldn't write more than a sentence on them, so will have to edge my bets :confused:

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Can I hand in my legislation for Contract and Property when I'm in there for Tort?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 legaleagle2010

Property A lot of people don't seem to be covering finding or registration of land

Our lecturer seemed confident they would make an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

I'm looking through the contract papers and slightly worried. I've covered enough topics but struggling to identify the areas being asked in the question!! Any tips or trends?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

I missed my lecture for Constructive Trusts and couldn't write more than a sentence on them, so will have to edge my bets :confused:

Thanks!

No problem, we barely touched on them in college so I've a very bare knowledge myself after trying to do them from scratch. If they do come up I just pray its for fiduciaries as that can have a lot of company law imported into it.

If you add Strong v Bird to your satisfaction and rectification then you'd be able to answer 4/5 of the last note questions (including a little on Non charitable purpose trusts for one of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

holliek wrote: »
    I'm looking through the contract papers and slightly worried. I've covered enough topics but struggling to identify the areas being asked in the question!! Any tips?

Read the examiner reports!

Read the examiner reports!

worries me seeing the answers. Very much a case of "ohhh that's what it was" when I read them

Anyone know of anywhere you can buy the Companies Act where it could be brought back with a receipt? The whole process is so expensive I don't want to spend €100 on a book for one day :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Can I hand in my legislation for Contract and Property when I'm in there for Tort?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Is there actually any case law on the Summary Approval Procedure beyond Charter Bridge Corp and Lombard & Ulster Banking?

Any predictions for contracT? Is it a predictable papers with trends?

holliek wrote: »
    Any predictions for contracT? Is it a predictable papers with trends?

The Problems are a big mess of stuff with 2 or 3 topics per question. Often they'll be a mix of O&A, Consideration, Estoppel, Consumer contracts, exclusion clauses, Mistake, Misrep, Breach and damages.

Then your essays are usually topics on their own, can be quite random but duty to negotiate in good faith was up twice in a row before being left off last time, illegality hasn't been up in awhile but isn't that common, penalty clauses and exclusion clauses are both popular but were up last time in an either or scenario.

Dont know what else to say as its quite unpredictable but you'll be making the bulk of your marks up off problem questions I would imagine, or at least I will anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Legislation
    I use to get in a place off dawson street.
    Where can i buy now? Hodges and fidge? Decided to bring in the lclra2009 to help with memory loss...

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Blazedup

Anyone know of anywhere you can buy the Companies Act where it could be brought back with a receipt? The whole process is so expensive I don't want to spend €100 on a book for one day :/

Borrow from library.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Property A lot of people don't seem to be covering finding or registration of land

Our lecturer seemed confident they would make an appearance.

After going through the past exam papers for the last hour I realised that the same essay question tends to come up for registration of land so I decided that I will memorise the answer just in case it comes up. The same with landlord and tenant law essay questions are either on the 2014 act whether it succeeded in its purpose or on reasonableness deasys. act.

The Problems are a big mess of stuff with 2 or 3 topics per question. Often they'll be a mix of O&A, Consideration, Estoppel, Consumer contracts, exclusion clauses, Mistake, Misrep, Breach and damages.

Then your essays are usually topics on their own, can be quite random but duty to negotiate in good faith was up twice in a row before being left off last time, illegality hasn't been up in awhile but isn't that common, penalty clauses and exclusion clauses are both popular but were up last time in an either or scenario.

Dont know what else to say as its quite unpredictable but you'll be making the bulk of your marks up off problem questions I would imagine, or at least I will anyway!

Hi ya

I have been worried about the essay questions for contract will it be safe just to memorise answers from last essay questions ?
    I am doing with property as it seems safe enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

I think you're safe, I'm going in with something very similar and without rectification even unless I get it done. Not doing satisfaction, only thing you're missing quite likely is constructive trusts.

Honestly I think all the following will be up - Cy Pres, Tracing, Specific Performance, Injunctions (QT or Mand Inter), 3 Certainties and Constructive Trusts. Leaves room for one of trustee duties or undue influence and then the note, but that's probably my terrified hopeful logic.

^ I'd say those topics are bang on!

Make sure you add in NON-CHARITABLE PURPOSE TRUSTS! Going by past reports people get caught out on that.

For constructive trusts, the FE1 focus has been on the New Model (aka Remedial) CT, and Strangers to a trust; so we probably shouldn't have too big of hopes of fiduciaries appearing (I saw your post about hoping that was what came up!) I think the fiduciaries-style question appeared once or twice? Cover it by all means but not to the exclusion of the other ways it has been examined.

jewels652 wrote: »
    After going through the past exam papers for the last hour I realised that the same essay question tends to come up for registration of land so I decided that I will memorise the answer just in case it comes up. The same with landlord and tenant law essay questions are either on the 2014 act whether it succeeded in its purpose or on reasonableness deasys. act.

New examiner might shake the question style up a bit 🕺🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

The last paper was the new examiner, all past papers you would have read would have been the old examiner.

• Advertisement

Leraf wrote: »
    The last paper was the new examiner, all past papers you would have read would have been the old examiner.

Oh no so what would it be reasonable to expect?

Oh no so what would it be reasonable to expect?

The unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Teamhrach wrote: »
    The unexpected.

Agreed. the last paper was in the same vein as the previous ones, i do not know if that's the intention going forward or if that was planned so as to not shock the 100's of people in the room so much that ambulances had to be called.

The unexpected.

Well that’s noot helpful.
    Why the Fe1s have to be so stressful?
    Is there any need for them ?
    If you studied Law at a university it should be enough. Perhaps, they should scrap the Fe1s and just go straight to the PPC’s.

Is basically studying everything all over again like. Fe1s should be for those who don’t have a law degree or foreign educated lawyers.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawlad101

If you studied Law at a university it should be enough. Perhaps, they should scrap the Fe1s and just go straight to the PPC’s.

Is basically studying everything all over again like. Fe1s should be for those who don’t have a law degree or foreign educated lawyers.

It used to be like that.

The FE-1s are used to slow the rate of people qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Thing is, being a solicitor is more akin to a trade than a profession so the idea of any formal education requirements for the role is almost an anathema to it in my view. The Solicitors Act says anyone who has attained the age of 17 is eligible to become a solicitor and a degree (law or otherwise) isn't strictly required if you can pass the preliminary exam.

Rant over?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

I have been thinking out what property will be like and it can't be that bad. Like it won't be as handy as other years but sure there will be the same elements that will be examined every year like succession law, coownership, AD, easements, Landlord and Tenant.....thats the standard stuff a solicitor would need to know. If you compare his report with Parks from other years its basically the same stuff he is looking for with a little twist to it. I reckon questions might be specific enough but i'd say you could work in the basics for each topic and the big ones will appear, it won't be that bad..... like he can't go and put big questions on stuff that isn't really important like covenants etc that would be pointless....I hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Negotiate in good faith? Oh god what topic can that be found in.

• Advertisement

Rant over?

The choice is to either rant or study 😂 I chose to rant for a while now back to study. So I guess rant is over 😆

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement