Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Could anyone give me a brief run down on what changes the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2017 introduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

TCPIP wrote: »
    Does anyone know when we might actually get the results of this round actually?

They're generally out six weeks after the last exam. So I'd say the third Friday in November?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Could anyone give me a brief run down on what changes the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2017 introduced?

Part 2: Sexual Exploitation of Children
    Sec 3(1) any person who for the purposes of sexual exploitation sells, buys, obtains, or otherwise provides a child for the purposes of sexual exploitation shall be guilty of an offence,
    Sec 3(2) A person, other than the child, who accepts or agrees to accept money or any other form of remuneration or consideration shall be guilty of an offence
    Liability:
    On Summary: Class A fine, or imprisonment not exceeding 12 months, or both, or
    On Conviction on indictment, a fine or imprisonment not exceeding 10 years, or both
    Sec 4: Invitation etc. to sexual touching
    Sec 4: A person who for sexual purposes, invites, induces, counsels, or incites a child to touch, with an object, the body of any person, including the body of the person who so invites, induces, counsels, or incites, shall be guilty of an offence
    Liability: Conviction on indictment to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 14 years.
    Sec 5: Sexual Activity in the Presence of a Child
    A person who for the purposes of obtaining sexual gratification from the presence of a child or corrupting or depraving a child, intentionally engages in sexual activity (with or without another) when a child is present or in a place from which the person can be observed by the child and knowing or believing that the child is aware, or intending that the child should be aware, that the person is engaging in sexual activity
    Liability: Conviction on indictment to imprisonment not exceeding 10 years
    Sec 6: Causing child to watch sexual activity
    A person who for the purposes of obtaining sexual gratification or corrupting or depraving a child intentionally causes a child to
    Watch another person engaging in sexual activity
    To look at an image of that or another person engaging in sexual activity
    Liability: Conviction on indictment to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years
    Sec 7: Meeting a child for sexual exploitation
    A person who a) intentionally meetings, or travels with intent of meeting, or makes arrangements with the intention of meeting a child or for a child to travel, whether or not from within the state, having communicated by any means with that child on at least one previous occasion, and b) does so for the purpose of doing anything would constitute sexual exploitation of the child, shall be guilty of an offence
    Liability: Conviction on indictment to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 14 years
    Sec 8: Use of ice to facilitate sexual exploitation of child
    8(1) A person who by means of ICT communicates with another (incl child) for purpose of facilitating exploitation… shall be guilty of an offence
    Liability: Conviction on indictment to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 14 years
    8(2) Offence of sending sexually explicit material to a child (under 17)
    Liability: Summary conviction, to a class A fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or both, or (b) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years.
    8(3) No proceedings for an offence against a child (under 17) save for with consent of DPP
    \fPart 3 - Sex with Protected Person
    Sec 21: Sexual Act with Protected Person
    A person who engages in a sexual act with a protected person, knowing that they are a protected person, or being reckless as to whether that person is a protected person shall be guilty of an offence.
    Invites, induces, counsels or incites a protected person to engage in a sexual act, knowing that the person s protected, shall be guilty of an offence
    In proceedings under this section it shall be presumed unless contrary is shown, that the defendant knew or was reckless as to whether the victim is a protected person (reverse onus provision)
    Liability:
    Where act under ss1. consisted of sexual intercourse, buggery, or act described in sec.3(1) or 4(1) of the 1990 Act - liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for life or lesser term
    Where act under ss1. consisted of n act which if done without consent would constitute a sexual assault shall be liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 14 years
    Where guilty under ss2, on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years
    Sec 22: offence against relevant person by person in authority
    engages in sexual act with a relevant person guilty of an offence
    person in authority: any person who as part of a contract of service or a contract for services is, for the time being, responsible for the education, supervision, training, treatment, care or welfare of the relevant person;
    Relevant person: mental or intellectual disability or mental illness
    Offence of inducement
    Defence under this section to prove they were reasonably mistaken that, at the time of commission of the offence, the person it was committed against was not a ‘relevant person’
    Not a defence to prove the person against whom the offence is alleged to have been committed against consented
    Standard of proof for reasonably mistaken shall be the same as that applicable to civil

Liability:
    SS 1: Where offending act consisted of sexual intercourse, buggery, or act described in sec.3(1) or 4(1) of the 1990 Act - liable on conviction on indictment for a term not exceeding 10 years
    SS1: Where the sexual act consisted of an act which if done without consent would constitute a sexual assault or an offence under ss2 shall be liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years

Section 4 of the 1990 Act: Sexual assault that involves either the penetration of the anus or mouth by the penis or the vagina by any object held or manipulated by another person proceedings

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Would anyone have a case to back "mutual exchange of promises can constitute consideration" - in contract? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Frances456

Does anyone know some of the recent Vicarious Liability cases for tort?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Twinings2016

yournerd wrote: »
    I do!

any chance you could pm? thanks a million!!!

lawless11 wrote: »
    Would anyone have a case to back "mutual exchange of promises can constitute consideration" - in contract? Thank you.

Centrovincial Estates Plc v Merchant Investors Assurance Co Ltd 1983

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawlad101

Not starting til Monday 8th.
    Anyone else only starting to memorize now? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Smiley283

lawlad101 wrote: »
    Not starting til Monday 8th.
    Anyone else only starting to memorize now? :(

Don't fret over it.. doing up notes takes way longer than actually learning it all... just pick a topic and learn the basic principles and then start adding in cases as you go along.. you can do this!!

Just don't compromise on getting 8 hours sleep and drink plenty of water and get out in fresh air.. you will make it harder on yourself to retain information otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

They're generally out six weeks after the last exam. So I'd say the third Friday in November?

6 weeks after the last Friday of the Exams. I would put that at the 30th November, no?

• Advertisement

Leraf wrote: »
    6 weeks after the last Friday of the Exams. I would put that at the 30th November, no?

23rd by my count?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FE1 Lady

Some people do some don't. Probably better to do them if u haven't studied law before. I didn't do them nor did many i know. More a case of having the finances to be honest.

Cheers_ i have an undergraduate and masters in law. Took a two year break and went travelling and now I’m back staring into a book wondering “why did I come back to do these exams” I feel like I’m getting enough from the book alone but then panicked because maybe I’m missing the vital information or something that may be contained in the prep course. Thanks so much for Reply

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Fuguestate

How are people learning off cases and info. I'm using the Quizlet flash card app. I find it very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FE1 Lady

Ngannou54 wrote: »
    FE1 Lady wrote: »
    Quick Q - Did Many Sit Prep Courses for these Exams? Am I the only person who just bought material? This would put my mind at ease if any kind individual could enlighten me? :)

I've passed 5 and I just bought materials. I couldn't afford prep courses. All my materials are second hand from donedeal.

Thank you very much for your Reply. This is my first time sitting and to be honest I genuinely didn’t have the funds to do the courses so I bought my material of gumtree and I have been studying off the book entirely and some really kind people on here gave me reports etc. so thanks to all!

As I don’t know anybody doing the FE-1s I just presumed that material would be enough and this week I have gone into a blind panic wondering am I the on,ya person who did this. Thanks so much for heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

send me ur email i have good notes on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Could anyone send me a constitutional grid or tell me what came up last sitting? I'd be very very grateful!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pollylou75

What is the general consensus on bringing the sale of goods legislation into the contract exam. Is it foolish not to bring them in

Pollylou75 wrote: »
    What is the general consensus on bringing the sale of goods legislation into the contract exam. Is it foolish not to bring them in

Very useful for a Consumer Protection question and it tends to come up every sitting

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Fe1hayes

Just wondering anyone have tips for constitutional ? I sat my fe1's in march passing 3 quite well but failed const. I have been studying it constantly the last month but it's like a wall as much as I understand it ,the questions complete ly trow me ,the reports are unhelpful also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fe1hun18

If anyone could send me an updated EU grid I’d really appreciate it :(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Joanneom

Fe1hayes wrote: »
    Just wondering anyone have tips for constitutional ? I sat my fe1's in march passing 3 quite well but failed const. I have been studying it constantly the last month but it's like a wall as much as I understand it ,the questions complete ly trow me ,the reports are unhelpful also.

Im feeling the exact same way about it. From going through the reports I think the most important thing to do is read the questions extremely carefully and consider them. The essay questions are a good one to go for in Const as they are open to opinion and can give you a little wiggle room there, granted you have the law/ratio to back them up. I found in my undergrad the most important thing with Const was to not fear giving a reasoned opinion as it shows that you've considered the law in that area.

I'm just so stuck with the vastness of the whole subject. Feeling very underprepared even though I've studied more than half the course. What have you studied?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bashbag89

Quick question n relation to tort and negligent mistatement?

Can Negligent mistatement only impose liability when the loss suffered is financial? Or can it be equally applied in situations when a Pl relied on information and as a result suffered personal injury?

Thanks!!!

Putting in another shout out for Contract/Tort/Equity predictions from Lawschool.ie
    If anyone on here has them and was willing to share I'd be eternally grateful!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Twinings2016

Does anyone have any predictions for case notes in Constitutional???

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LawStudent2018

Does anyone have any predictions for case notes in Constitutional???

The only tip worth noting is that case notes rarely repeat themselves. In the last 6 sittings I believe 2-3 may have repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mariealice

The only tip worth noting is that case notes rarely repeat themselves. In the last 6 sittings I believe 2-3 may have repeated.

Ya , in desperation I went back through all the past papers and made a list and only maybe 6 or 7 cases notes were repeated since 2010 :/ I feel like they always try to throw in a recent one if there has been a big case in the last year or so so maybe a case like DPP v Doyle(2017) ? Other then that no clue. Not feeling too confident about constitutional!

Bashbag89 wrote: »
    Quick question n relation to tort and negligent mistatement?

Can Negligent mistatement only impose liability when the loss suffered is financial? Or can it be equally applied in situations when a Pl relied on information and as a result suffered personal injury?

Thanks!!!

I think it's only for financial loss as negligent misstatement is essentially a type of economic loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

mariealice wrote: »
    Ya , in desperation I went back through all the past papers and made a list and only maybe 6 or 7 cases notes were repeated since 2010 :/ I feel like they always try to throw in a recent one if there has been a big case in the last year or so so maybe a case like DPP v Doyle(2017) ? Other then that no clue. Not feeling too confident about constitutional!

I remember last sitting I was expecting either Gilchrist v Sunday Newspapers or NVH v MJE to come up - Gilchrist came up but no sign of NVH as far as I can remember, so maybe give that judgment a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Heart Shaped Box

yournerd wrote: »
    send me ur email i have good notes on this

Is there any chance you'd be willing to share those with me also? I can (hopefully) find something to swap with you :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Heart Shaped Box

First time sitting FE1s - if you are sitting subjects on both the first and second week which allow you to bring in legislation, does it make sense to come in on the first day and drop off ALL legislation to be checked?

If you do that, is it the case that when you arrive to your first exam (i.e. the day after you dropped it all off) you'll be handed back your legislation for all subjects in one go, despite only needing it for 1?
    If so, doesn't that mean you could technically go changing your highlights/tabs etc for the exam you have a week later?

Sorry if this makes no sense/is stupid - caffeine has frazzled my brain

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement