Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Did anyone see the City Colleges Night Before video for ContracT? They don't seem to be on the site anymore and was hoping someone could tell me what topics were discussed in it

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

50% overall to pass so assuming you do the five required questions, on average you need 10 marks out of 20 for each question

lawless11 wrote:
    I guess I was more about what standard is worth 10 marks for the examiners and all that. (High medium, true medium, enough to satisfy them that we know stuff... Etc).

That is what amazes me because I've come out before thinking i did ok and mentioned say 6 to 7 cases then i read things online that people only mentioned 2 cases or waffled 4th and 5th answers and passed. I think it depends on the subject. Some examiners are more generous than others. If one thing I've learnt through attempts is you need to understand what your talking about. Obvious i know but u be surprised we learn topics go in and can't apply them to the question. You perhaps coming across as revised and not able to be confident with tge topic then an examiner would see through that ...i think now bear in mind i haven't got the magic three but i thunk that is where i went wrong previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Roisin_Law

For the legislative sources, are we supposed to drop them in the day before or on the morning of the exam? this is my first sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 twitchandsweep

Roisin_Law wrote: »
    For the legislative sources, are we supposed to drop them in the day before or on the morning of the exam? this is my first sitting.

Either or. If you drop it in the morning of your exam you’ll get it an hour into the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 24 twitchandsweep

Feel like the longer I spend studying the less I know. Feel like doing a backflip off the roof of my house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

That is what amazes me because I've come out before thinking i did ok and mentioned say 6 to 7 cases then i read things online that people only mentioned 2 cases or waffled 4th and 5th answers and passed. I think it depends on the subject. Some examiners are more generous than others. If one thing I've learnt through attempts is you need to understand what your talking about. Obvious i know but u be surprised we learn topics go in and can't apply them to the question. You perhaps coming across as revised and not able to be confident with tge topic then an examiner would see through that ...i think now bear in mind i haven't got the magic three but i thunk that is where i went wrong previously.

I dont get this either. I feel ive put down like 5/6 cases per answer and explained everything to the best I can and still fail while others say they barely answered 4 questions and pass? I just hope this tme my paper isnt after a FE1 nerd otherwise Im quitting this career..

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭HappySlappy123

Ah I see, hopefully very little!!! :)

From my experience it very much depends on the subject and the examiner. I've the majority of the exams passed but have never got anything above the 50s in them. Assumed that the very best answers would be 14/20 due to looking back at college exams in law, you may get a 1st but it would be rare (if at all) anyone would get 75+(which would equate to 15/20).

For that reason when I'd be looking at my own questions after coming out of an exam, even though I may feel I'd have answered a question reasonably well, I still wouldn't be estimating more than a 12, or at the very most a 13.

Does this sound accurate or does it happen that people receive well into the 70s?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 byrne7

From my experience it very much depends on the subject and the examiner. I've the majority of the exams passed but have never got anything above the 50s in them. Assumed that the very best answers would be 14/20 due to looking back at college exams in law, you may get a 1st but it would be rare (if at all) anyone would get 75+(which would equate to 15/20).

For that reason when I'd be looking at my own questions after coming out of an exam, even though I may feel I'd have answered a question reasonably well, I still wouldn't be estimating more than a 12, or at the very most a 13.

Does this sound accurate or does it happen that people receive well into the 70s?

I’ve two friends that achieved the highest marks in the country and they both got 73 in their subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

byrne7 wrote: »
    I’ve two friends that achieved the highest marks in the country and they both got 73 in their subjects.

Ok, so 15s don't happen, and here I was hoping for the 12s or 13s to save me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Fe1hayes

Would anyone whose done constitutional know is it hard to pass ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 lawdedaw

Same, really hoping I could scrape by with three good questions haha

• Registered Users Posts: 21 GingerAleSnail

Is it just me or is the EU Institutions and all that early area just a mess.
    Your head would be wrecked trying to decipher it.

Can't stand the Institutions stuff, do not want to do it....

• Registered Users Posts: 11 byrne7

I got 71 last sitting in constitutional and i honestly didn’t write anything unusual. I had a broad knowledge of most topics and gave loads of opinions. I was shocked it was that high! I wouldn’t stress about them once they’re done. It’s impossible to tell!

I got 71 last sitting in constitutional and i honestly didn’t write anything unusual. I had a broad knowledge of most topics and gave loads of opinions. I was shocked it was that high! I wouldn’t stress about them once they’re done. It’s impossible to tell!

I got 70 in the last sitting in Criminal and all I remember I did quite well and advise is I mentioned the 2017 Sexual Act pretty thoroughly and compared it with the old position, if that's any good advice for anyone! I have a good summary note on it if anyone needs it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Fe1hayes wrote: »
    Would anyone whose done constitutional know is it hard to pass ?

Doing it myself tomorrow and very nervous. I've seen the examiner say in a couple of exam reports that the majority of candidates did well. He also really emphasised the importance of attempting 5 questions, he said even if you don't pass all the questions, you could pass overall (which is definitely true from my experience of other exams, tort and contract I definitely didn't pass all the questions I attempted but I passed the exam)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

From reading the examiner reports you must have channelled Montesquieu that day...

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

I'm looking over finding now, what the status of item found on land where the finder is a trespasser? Do any of the cases deal with the trespass issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 GingerAleSnail

I've gotten 50 and I've gotten up to 67, I really think the difference is arguing your opinion. I came out of constitution upset because I blanked a load of case names but I did just kinda let rip with opinion and got 67. I came out of equity delighted as I had put LOADS of cases for each question and got 55

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawlad101

user115 wrote: »
    I'm looking over finding now, what the status of item found on land where the finder is a trespasser? Do any of the cases deal with the trespass issue?

Hibbert v McKiernan

http://e-lawresources.co.uk/cases/Hibbert-v-McKiernan.php

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

lawlad101 wrote: »

Thank you so much lawlad101 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

I've gotten 50 and I've gotten up to 67, I really think the difference is arguing your opinion. I came out of constitution upset because I blanked a load of case names but I did just kinda let rip with opinion and got 67. I came out of equity delighted as I had put LOADS of cases for each question and got 55

Whether you get 50 or 70.... employers do not care!! I can categorically guarantee that!! Don't stress!! It never comes up at interview.... HAVE YOU PASSED THE FE1s is all they'll ask.

Can anyone explain the significance of S4 in the SOGA 1893 to me? They reference it loads in the past papers but I don't fully grasp when to bring it in?

Can anyone explain the significance of S4 in the SOGA 1893 to me? They reference it loads in the past papers but I don't fully grasp when to bring it in?

It means where a contract is for over 12.70 and without writing it is unenforceable if its not declared as an contract. Can someone else confirm?

yournerd wrote: »
    It means where a contract is for over 12.70 and without writing it is unenforceable if its not declared as an contract. Can someone else confirm?

And am I right in saying that if it's accepted then it will be valid? So in those consumer protection questions where they have the goods and try to say it was invalid it becomes relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Craobh Rua Lua

Yes, but doesn’t affect the validity of the contract. Just can’t be enforced by court

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Smiley283

Can anyone send me sample notes or answers on constructive trusts PLEASE

Yes, but doesn’t affect the validity of the contract. Just can’t be enforced by court

so if it sayins X is threatening to sue for damages for breach of contract, can you say they cant cause its not written?

so if it sayins X is threatening to sue for damages for breach of contract, can you say they cant cause its not written?
    I’m not doing contract so someone else may be able to better answer this but I think the questions tend to be that the person you are advising is looking to enforce. You should go through the issues one by one. That’s also an issue which will be determinative in the end, ie everything else can be for the person seeking to enforce it and yet it can’t be enforced.

I’m not doing contract so someone else may be able to better answer this but I think the questions tend to be that the person you are advising is looking to enforce. You should go through the issues one by one. That’s also an issue which will be determinative in the end, ie everything else can be for the person seeking to enforce it and yet it can’t be enforced.
    And of course the opposite would be true if it’s the other person arty seeking to enforce. You will still need to deal with the issues though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Do you guys think I will be covered for contract with:

O+A
    Consideration/Estoppel
    Terms
    Remedies
    Consumer Protection
    Mistake
    Misrep
    Illegal Contracts
    Discharge