Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I'm in a similar boat, when you say learn off how many cases do you mean per topic because I just can't make mine stick

It depends on the topic I guess. I have 35 for O+A, 20 for consideration, 30 for damages, who knows how many of those I will actually remember.

The problem is depending on what kind of question is asked only 5 or 6 cases might actually be relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LawStudent2018

What came up in constitutional today?

Q1: absolutely no clue
    Q2: Gilchrist & Rogers
    Q3: Natural Law
    Q4: Re Haughey; Maguire vs Ardagh; 're Article 26 and the Employment Equality Bill; can't remember last case.
    Q5: Family Rights
    Q6: No clue
    Q7: Article 42A
    Q8: Equality

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jaspoon12

It depends on the topic I guess. I have 35 for O+A, 20 for consideration, 30 for damages, who knows how many of those I will actually remember.

The problem is depending on what kind of question is asked only 5 or 6 cases might actually be relevant.

That is an insane amount of cases!

Jaspoon12 wrote: »
    That is an insane amount of cases!

Well take Damages for example, you could be asked about remoteness of damage so I have 6 cases, types of loss I have 10 cases a few different kinds of loss so I have one case for each. Then you have damages for inconvenience or emotional stress 6 cases and finally penalty clauses 6 cases...so it all adds up unfortunately.

Well take Damages for example, you could be asked about remoteness of damage so I have 6 cases, types of loss I have 10 cases a few different kinds of loss so I have one case for each. Then you have damages for inconvenience or emotional stress 6 cases and finally penalty clauses 6 cases...so it all adds up unfortunately.

Oh I wasn't criticising, anything but....contract is terrifying lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

That's my fear too, you'll be happy with your 30 lovely cases and then they ask something narrow and you're down to a handful

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Stupid question, but is it better to attempt a case name and get it wrong, or just say 'in a distinguished case' or 'in case with similar facts' ? I am seriously struggling with all these case names, it's all obscure companies names for contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Craobh Rua Lua

Q4: Re Haughey; Maguire vs Ardagh; 're Article 26 and the Employment Equality Bill; can't remember last case.
    The other case was O’Sullivan v Sea Fisheries ( thank God).
    1 involved potentially a lot; I went with expression, livelihood and vagueness but others had locus standi and sedition.

6 was (I think but didn’t try) access to justice and consequences of invalidity of a part of a section. I also think 5 went beyond family into the whole TD, O’Donnell, Sinnott resources based issues Re separation of powers and upholding constitutional rights vs statutory rights but again I didn’t try it

Jaysus. :eek:

Stupid question, but is it better to attempt a case name and get it wrong, or just say 'in a distinguished case' or 'in case with similar facts' ? I am seriously struggling with all these case names, it's all obscure companies names for contract!

Not that stupid as I was thinking the same myself. I'll be attempting it and probably fluffing 10% because there's so many too, I think it'd be harsh with long case names to not give credit or when you only remember one party. I was trying to shorten the Hong Kong Firs case name myself and realised that "KKK ltd" probably wouldn't go down a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

March 2018 and October 2017 q1a is exact same, fingers crossed for round 3

Also, am I correct in saying an exclusion clause encompasses both exemption clauses as well as limitation of liability clauses ?

yournerd wrote: »
    March 2018 and October 2017 q1a is exact same, fingers crossed for round 3

Noticed that but not too hopeful! Would be a lovely one to pick up marks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Craobh Rua Lua

Not that stupid as I was thinking the same myself. I'll be attempting it and probably fluffing 10% because there's so many too, I think it'd be harsh with long case names to not give credit or when you only remember one party. I was trying to shorten the Hong Kong Firs case name myself and realised that "KKK ltd" probably wouldn't go down a treat.

Learn it as Hong Kong Firs. You don’t need to get the case names exactly right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭MagicThree18

I passed contract last year (50% on the nose) and I referred to a good number of cases in a very crude fashion. For example, I referred to the misrepresentation case, Gil v McDowell, as "the hermaphrodite cow" case and marked it in highlighter. That was the most embarrassing example but there were a few more. I also only had one party's name for about half of the cases I mentioned.

If it happens tomorrow, I intend on saying something like, "in a decided case concerning a hermaphrodite cow, it was held that.."

It's not ideal, but if I have a case in my head that's relevant it's going on the page one way or another. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭MagicThree18

In terms of time management, how do you guys do it? It's 36 minutes per question but in the past I've been guilty of rushing through my first read of the paper as quickly as possible in order to get back to answering my first question. I think I'm gonna allow myself 10 full minutes tomorrow to have a solid read of the paper, make some rough work and relax.

In terms of time management, how do you guys do it? It's 36 minutes per question but in the past I've been guilty of rushing through my first read of the paper as quickly as possible in order to get back to answering my first question. I think I'm gonna allow myself 10 full minutes tomorrow to have a solid read of the paper, make some rough work and relax.

I actually only give myself 30 mins per question. I take 20 mins at the start to read the paper and jot down a short plan for each question, then 30 mins per question, and that leaves 10 minutes to either check over my answers, or allows me to go slightly over on a question or two. Probably not the best way, but worked last time at least

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

I actually only give myself 30 mins per question. I take 20 mins at the start to read the paper and jot down a short plan for each question, then 30 mins per question, and that leaves 10 minutes to either check over my answers, or allows me to go slightly over on a question or two. Probably not the best way, but worked last time at least

I'm also taking a bit of time at the start to choose, put down some cases (otherwise I easily forget and once in the exam, can't remember and blank) and then get into them each hopefully 30min.

Freaking out for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pollylou75

Me too 😀 so many cases to remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Pollylou75 wrote: »
    Me too �� so many cases to remember

So not ready like. Phew. Looks like I utmostly underprepared :').

Anyone would have a sample answer on PB Q with misrepresentation?

I still have to go over breach, illegal, misrep and mistake! Not a hope

Sames, still have to go over pretty much everything once or twice off to try make it stick and at that I've left things out :/

Sames, still have to go over pretty much everything once or twice off to try make it stick and at that I've left things out :/

i cant understand mistake.. anyone have any easy ways/summaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lawdedaw

I'm absolutely terrified for tomorrow after a touch and go company exam - omitted illegal contracts and unconscionable bargain and know the very very bare minimum on undue influence...am I selling myself short? :/

lawdedaw wrote: »
    I'm absolutely terrified for tomorrow after a touch and go company exam - omitted illegal contracts and unconscionable bargain and know the very very bare minimum on undue influence...am I selling myself short? :/

I omitted undue influence, unconscionable bargain, formal construction, privity and agency I hope to be ok so you should too

Has anybody got sample answers for contract?

Anybody else not going to have the luxury of sleeping tonight due to the sheer amount of study left to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 twitchandsweep

Not to be pessimistic here but looks like we are all rightly *****d lol
    Look we just need to stay calm, if you go blank - breathe. We didn’t spend hours of our day looking at virtually nothing. It will come back. Focus on quality over quantity and fingers crossed it goes our way! Best of luck to everyone tomorrow - feel like we have a little study group thing going on lol it’s actually so nice to know we aren’t alone keeps the motivation running - anyways best of luck :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement