Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Any genuine criminal predictions guys?? Really stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

jus_me wrote: »
    Any genuine criminal predictions guys?? Really stuck

I think maybe presumpt innocence and right to silence... I still haven't gone over them revising at moment and then hope to have some time tomorrow to do them. Going with all offences other than inchoate and then most defences, MR, AR, participation, definition and classification, think that would be enough so stressed that won't have time to revise all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

My predictions for Criminal are a problem question revolving around a burglary/assault, a homicide question incorporating manslaughter/provocation, a problem question incorporating arrest, detention, bail, etc, two questions on sexual offences (hopefully), and an essay on the the court system! Then maybe another problem question and an essay of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fehun123

Hey everyone, quick question about last year's exam report - I noticed under Q2(ii) he discusses the 2006 Act rather than the 2017 Sexual Offences Act....is there a reason for this or am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

fehun123 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, quick question about last year's exam report - I noticed under Q2(ii) he discusses the 2006 Act rather than the 2017 Sexual Offences Act....is there a reason for this or am I missing something?

2017 Act hadn't came into effect?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

user115 wrote: »
    Anyone else think property offences in criminal would be enough to skim big ones, burglary, robbery and theft? he put a really detailed q last year on nitty critty offences .... Trying to cut down at the moment... So much in it

Cover all of property in case. Need to know it, NFOATP and Sexual Offences in good detail but it's actually very easy to learn all of those off in a few hours. You CAN DO IT!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Smiley283

Anyone have last march criminal paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Smiley283

If you Google the criminal law rape act 2017 and scroll down the search feed there's a paper by Tom o malley that sets out the changes to the act.. states that it came into force in march 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Anyone would know the answer to a question I have about co-ownership.

My question concerns the fact when a judgment mortgage has been created against a joint tenant, as the tenancy is not severable anymore, does it mean that the mortgagee can enforce it (while the tenant/mortgagor is alive) on ALL of the joint tenants? How does that work? Or does the judgment mortgagee just need to apply for a partition or sale?

lawless11 wrote: »
    Anyone would know the answer to a question I have about co-ownership.

My question concerns the fact when a judgment mortgage has been created against a joint tenant, as the tenancy is not severable anymore, does it mean that the mortgagee can enforce it (while the tenant/mortgagor is alive) on ALL of the joint tenants? How does that work? Or does the judgment mortgagee just need to apply for a partition or sale?

I think JM applies to court to make order partition and sale under s31 lclra and court will take all circumstances into account. JM mortgage is more or less useless for coowed property if other coowners didn't agree, but if they did agree them JM can sell property providing there are no other issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Provocation
    There are slot of cases. Was this up as an essay recently. Wondering if i can get away with the 3 or r main cases so can at least get a problem question.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pyggg

Hi wondering if anyone can help me for property, in the various finding problem questions the object is always gold/silver, however in the examiners reports she says each time that treasure trove is not relevant. I’m wondering is it just that under the national monuments act they are just called items rather than treasure trove? I am confused as in Webb they said a doctrine of treasure trove applied in Ireland. This question seems so obvious but the examiners report is making me question it. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Jaspoon12 wrote: »
    Is it crazy to leave out any areas of criminal? What topics are people covering?

I need good karma.

Having passed criminal in 2014, if Kilcommins is still setting the exams, then you will need to know as much as possible. There will be overlap e.g. you may find 5 topics to mention in any one question.

Skip the courts study. You are better having thin knowledge of wide array of criminal topics than a deep knowledge of a handful of topics with him.

Good luck.

It was the March 2018 paper, sorry I shouldn't have said last year!

Provocation
    There are slot of cases. Was this up as an essay recently. Wondering if i can get away with the 3 or r main cases so can at least get a problem question.

It's been up the last 4 sittings so id say basics is grand, trying to cut down defenses think its safe enough to leave out mistake and infancy? Had a look at a grid and they rarely come up

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Heart Shaped Box

Could someone clarify this for me please - to prove sexual assault, does it need to be proven that the assault was sexual/indecent in nature AND that the accused intended for it to be so?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ucdlaw_2018

In Succession, the spouse has to right to compel the personal representative to appropriate the family dwelling? What does this mean and why? If someone could explain I’d be forever grateful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭MagicThree18

In Succession, the spouse has to right to compel the personal representative to appropriate the family dwelling? What does this mean and why? If someone could explain I’d be forever grateful!

If, at the time of the deceased's death, the surviving spouse or civil partner is ordinarily resident in a dwelling which forms part of the deceased's estate, the surviving spouse or civil partner may require the executor to appropriate the dwelling in order to satisfy the surviving spouse's share in the estate.

If the deceased died intestate the surviving spouse still gains that right and the dwelling may be used to satisfy her legal right share.

If the dwelling is worth more than the share that the spouse is entitled to then the spouse has the option of raising the money to purchase the rest of the dwelling.

The dwelling must be the home where the deceased and the spouse ordinarily lived. It cannot be a holiday home or a rental property etc.

The executor has to notify the spouse of this right.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

Hi everyone, hope study is going ok. It’s tough going isn’t it!!

I have a quick Q re criminal and the sexual offences topic - has the 2017 Act brought any changes in the area of offences against mentally impaired persons?? Any information/advice is appreciated as always. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Is there anyone taking any risks with criminal due to the grid or specific area that may not come up? I dont habe any grids etc. Nor do i know what came up in last feew papers. My exam papers are a few years back. Really need to cut down some topics.

• Advertisement

Could someone clarify this for me please - to prove sexual assault, does it need to be proven that the assault was sexual/indecent in nature AND that the accused intended for it to be so?

There are three stages in securing a conviction for SA as per Court:

i) That the accused carried out an assault.
    ii) That the reasonable person would, in light of all of the circumstances, find the act indecent.
    iii) That the accused intended to assault a the victim in a manner in which the reasonable person would find indecent.

NB: Evidence of sexual desire isn't an essential element, as per R v Bernier.

Yes!! section 21, 2017 Act sets it all out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Law4567

Does anyone be have the law school predictions for equity? Would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

fehun123 wrote: »
    Yes!! section 21, 2017 Act sets it all out :)

Thank you!! Just going over it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FE!student

Law4567 wrote: »
    Does anyone be have the law school predictions for equity? Would be greatly appreciated

1. Quia Timet Injunction- problem
    2. Specific Performance + Rectification- problem
    3. Trustees- problem
    4. Cy-Pres- essay
    5. Presumed Resulting Trusts + Presumption of Advancement- problem
    6. Three Certainties- essay
    7. Constructive Trusts (knowing assistance)- essay
    8. (a) Rule in Hastings-Bass - essay
    (b) Maxims in Equity - essay
    (c) Automatic Resulting Trusts (Surplus funds unincorporated association)- essay

I don't really have much time to cover anything outside of the above.

Is this enough? Does anyone have any other suggestions of topics I should cover for equity?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Would anyone have got Criminal exam March 2018 examiners report, I would really appreciate that.

Would anyone have any quick summery on duress and necessity? kinda freaking out now.... Have just few hours left :(

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

FE!student wrote: »
    1. Quia Timet Injunction- problem
    2. Specific Performance + Rectification- problem
    3. Trustees- problem
    4. Cy-Pres- essay
    5. Presumed Resulting Trusts + Presumption of Advancement- problem
    6. Three Certainties- essay
    7. Constructive Trusts (knowing assistance)- essay
    8. (a) Rule in Hastings-Bass - essay
    (b) Maxims in Equity - essay
    (c) Automatic Resulting Trusts (Surplus funds unincorporated association)- essay

I don't really have much time to cover anything outside of the above.

Is this enough? Does anyone have any other suggestions of topics I should cover for equity?

Is that their predictions or what you're doing or both? I invested quite a bit of time in Undue influence as well. But I've pretty much left out resulting trusts and rectification.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FE!student

Is that their predictions or what you're doing or both? I invested quite a bit of time in Undue influence as well. But I've pretty much left out resulting trusts and rectification.

That's their predictions and what I'm covering but I'm trying to cover the entire topic for each one e.g. I'm doing all of Charitable Trusts and not just Cy Pres.

Rectification can come up with Specific Performance as a problem question so maybe look at that.

I'm also going to do Undue Influence if I have time. I'm leaving out too much but I managed my time badly coming up to the exams so I still have a lot to cover and if I try to cover everything I won't know any topics in enough detail to pass. This exam is going to be a disaster for me, I've lost all interest in trying to study at this stage!

• Advertisement

Anyone wanna swap short summaries of topics? I find it's very good for helping me remember stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement