Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

What are people learning for cy-pres - I'm fairly lost with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TemptationWaits

holliek wrote: »
    What are people learning for cy-pres - I'm fairly lost with it!!

I think the most important thing is to know the difference between initial and supervening impossibility. The wikipedia page is surprisingly helpful!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cy-pr%C3%A8s_doctrine_in_English_law

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Do you think I can skip the residence rights in the licence chapter? I don't understand how it works, the general/special right and what it does... Kind of useless if I can't apply it.

I think the most important thing is to know the difference between initial and supervening impossibility. The wikipedia page is surprisingly helpful!

What cases are you learning for initial failure - there's so many I don't know which are important etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pollylou75

Hi all, I'm trying to cram for equity, I'd be eternally grateful for advice on the topics not to bother going in to the exam without knowing. Are there any tips for this exam. I'm trying to decide if I should sit the exam or not. I've concentrated so much on my other three exams I've really not prepared well for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭MagicThree18

xBell123 wrote: »
    HELP is this enough for property:

Succession
    AP
    Family Property
    Co-ownership
    Land reg
    Easements
    Finding / treasure trove
    Mortgages

Really worrying that Im skimming it too broadly and wondering if I should do equity and notice??

I'm doing the exact same topics. We are virtually guaranteed two questions on succession and one on adverse possession (assuming the new examiner doesn't drastically depart from past exams, which he didn't do last year).

That leaves us looking for two from Family Property, Co-ownership, Land Registration, Easements, Mortgages and Finding. Land Registration wasn't on the last paper and the mortgages question last year was a niche sub-topic. City Colleges have cautioned all of its students to be ready for a full-blooded mortgages question.

I think we have enough. In any event I've run out of time (still doing mortgages here) so it will have to do.

Pollylou75 wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm trying to cram for equity, I'd be eternally grateful for advice on the topics not to bother going in to the exam without knowing. Are there any tips for this exam. I'm trying to decide if I should sit the exam or not. I've concentrated so much on my other three exams I've really not prepared well for this one.

Injunctions. The entire topic.

I was thinking of leaving out purpose trusts for equity - thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

I'm doing the exact same topics. We are virtually guaranteed two questions on succession and one on adverse possession (assuming the new examiner doesn't drastically depart from past exams, which he didn't do last year).

That leaves us looking for two from Family Property, Co-ownership, Land Registration, Easements, Mortgages and Finding. Land Registration wasn't on the last paper and the mortgages question last year was a niche sub-topic. City Colleges have cautioned all of its students to be ready for a full-blooded mortgages question.

I think we have enough. In any event I've run out of time (still doing mortgages here) so it will have to do.

If that is the case, do you reckon we could cut out another topic? I'm hoping to do all the same, but still have to learn all Succession, Land Registration, Finding and Co-Ownership... Or is leaving one out just too risky?

What are people covering for resulting trusts?

• Advertisement

If that is the case, do you reckon we could cut out another topic? I'm hoping to do all the same, but still have to learn all Succession, Land Registration, Finding and Co-Ownership... Or is leaving one out just too risky?

Finding is a tiny subject that comes up very regularly so definitely don't cut that. Land Reg is a straight-forward subject that wasn't on the last paper. And you'd be crazy to cut Succession. That leaves Co-ownership. It was on that last paper. If you have to cut something that's probably your best bet, but it's exactly that, a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Criminal
    How did everyone find it?
    I felt i identified all the issues but did mix up some stuff like said say s15 of the act when it was say s12 eeeek. I named the act correctly but not the section..not sure how much they penalise you for memory loss if you have identified the issue plus the offence? Also like for the part iv of question six i didn't cover this topic but said it was contempt in face of court and scandalising to lower the publics opinion of judges of the court. No caselaw.
    Any previous people who passed making these mistakes? I answered five questions but some answers were like 2 pages only as ran out of time.

Re property
    I am covering same as posters above except land reg.
    Not sure il bother with family either. Have little time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

CY-PRES - Not learning a lot, the bare minimum in case of it forming part of a PQ or note. Just doing the minimum because I think I'm okay with knowing other topics quite well (hopefully before the exam).

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawlad101

I know people have talked about this before but just to clarify - you can definitely drop legislation in on the morning of the exam and get it an hour into the exam? I heard people say this before the exams started but my letter says that they have to be handed in between 9-1 on the day before the exam.

Kind of freaked out about it, badly need my 1965 and 2009 acts for tomorrow!

lawlad101 wrote: »
    I know people have talked about this before but just to clarify - you can definitely drop legislation in on the morning of the exam and get it an hour into the exam? I heard people say this before the exams started but my letter says that they have to be handed in between 9-1 on the day before the exam.

Kind of freaked out about it, badly need my 1965 and 2009 acts for tomorrow!

YES!

Anyone able to summarise cy-pres for me - very confused!! Esp the initial failure part

Teamhrach wrote: »
    YES!

Exactly what I wanted to hear :D

lawlad101 wrote: »
    Exactly what I wanted to hear :D

I cba going into the deets.....:rolleyes: :D

Regarding family protection, my manual has a good few pages on declarations and searches and power of the the court to deal with property. Are these necessary to learn for family home?

Regarding family protection, my manual has a good few pages on declarations and searches and power of the the court to deal with property. Are these necessary to learn for family home?

Possibly with the new examiner but I wouldn't get too hung up on it unless you know your other topics well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 PollybeeCullen

How did criminal go for everyone today? Would anyone mind saying what questions came up? Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

No kind soul has a spare copy of the legislation for Property? I'll pay top dolla! Mine never came in time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

Quick question on succession law and joint tenancy survivorship. If the family home is owned by a joint tenancy can the surviving spouse say he/she owns the house through survivorship and thus the deceased spouse was not entitled to include as part of legal right share?

As in can the surviving spouse say they are entitled to 1/3 (1/2 if no kids) of the rest of the estate in addition to the house because the house wasn't the deceased's to give away due to the law of survivorship?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LawStudent2018

Quick question on succession law and joint tenancy survivorship. If the family home is owned by a joint tenancy can the surviving spouse say he/she owns the house through survivorship and thus the deceased spouse was not entitled to include as part of legal right share?

As in can the surviving spouse say they are entitled to 1/3 (1/2 if no kids) of the rest of the estate in addition to the house because the house wasn't the deceased's to give away due to the law of survivorship?

Yes is the simple answer

Gonna have to toss mortgages aside. It's just not clicking for me and I'm eating into the time that I need to revise the subjects that I do have a grasp on.

So I'm going in with:

Succession
    Adverse Possession
    Finding
    Co-ownership
    Family Property
    Registered Land
    Easements.

I'm cutting it close.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Gonna have to toss mortgages aside. It's just not clicking for me and I'm eating into the time that I need to revise the subjects that I do have a grasp on.

So I'm going in with:

Succession
    Adverse Possession
    Finding
    Co-ownership
    Family Property
    Registered Land
    Easements.

I'm cutting it close.

I decided to cut mortgages as well. I just couldn’t get around it. I hope if it comes up the other topics that I have will be enough.
    Best of luck tomorrow.

Does lease/licence distinction ever come up?
    We made a big deal about it in college so I have a good knowledge of it! Just haven't seen many mention it

Mortgages
    Literally thought same as previous posters just now. Am putting it aside and focusing on other topics will go back to it then for an overview, if i have time.

Starting to panic about property. I lulled myself into a false sense of security thinking it was predictable and easy to pass. I've learnt co-ownership, mortgages, adverse possession, family home, easements but still to learn succession & land reg (will have a glance over finding if I have time). That being said, the topics I've 'learnt', I'm far from confident on them. Hoping for a miracle tonight.
    Does anyone have advice for answering questions?

• Advertisement

Starting to panic about property. I lulled myself into a false sense of security thinking it was predictable and easy to pass. I've learnt co-ownership, mortgages, adverse possession, family home, easements but still to learn succession & land reg (will have a glance over finding if I have time). That being said, the topics I've 'learnt', I'm far from confident on them. Hoping for a miracle tonight. Does anyone have advice for answering questions?

You have alot more covered than me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement