Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

Are people sticking with the standard Property Q's?

So far I have covered:

Succession x2
    Adverse Possession
    Registered/Unregistered Land
    Finding
    Mortgages

I will probably add Co-Ownership and Easements...is that enough?

Criminal I'm covering basically everything except Offences against Justice/State and maybe Inchoate.

Haven't even looked at Tort/Criminal yet, god help me.

I haven't gone back to property since before christmas so it's very rusty but I'll be doing effectively the same, know all the succession stuff from the making of the will to disgruntled kids looking for more. Adverse possession and Finding could be nice problem questions. I really don't like registered and unregistered land but I think it and mortgages could both be important technical areas. I'll definitely be doing Easements and Co-Ownership too (family homes and all that jazz as well). Only thing I'm thinking I could be missing is landlord and tenant, anyone know if that comes up often at all?

I'm starting criminal today and I intend to do everything, he mixes so much stuff you have no choice really if you don't want to get caught.

Tort is massive, I'd start on that before criminal if I was you. Constitutional took me 8 days to get notes from start to finish, Tort took me closer to 20 just with trying to get to grips with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

What are people leaving out of torts for sure anyway? Let's try to proceed the other way what, cause there is no way I'll learn everything in there.

Probably won't bother with:
    -Animals & fire liability
    - fatal injuries
    -defences
    -trespass to land
    - statutory liability & public authority liability
    - economic torts not including passing off

Opinions on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

I know everyone is different so as many views as possible might help me out, please.

On average, how many pages of notes do you have per Chapter? How detailed are your notes? Do you have a particular structure to how you write them or what information you need to know. Not really sure what I am doing to be honest :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Leraf wrote: »
    I know everyone is different so as many views as possible might help me out, please.

On average, how many pages of notes do you have per Chapter? How detailed are your notes? Do you have a particular structure to how you write them or what information you need to know. Not really sure what I am doing to be honest :(

Sorry this is probably not the answer you want, but every topic is different really. E.g. Sexual Offences for me is maybe 5/6 pages whereas Offences against Property is 2/3. Very minimal imo, definitions, cases with facts (sometimes) and the point of law and relevant legislation. If you need to get more detail on a particular section of a topic you can always read that section of the manual.

Then I'm writing out the main headings for each topic with the cases underneath and a few words beside the case to jog your memory. For example, I'm studying Offences against Property atm so my heading could be:

1. Robbery
    a. Force
    R v Dawson and James - Stole wallet, jostled = force
    DPP v Mangan - 2 nuns, smashed windscreen, fear = force

The main notes will be used to get a broader idea of the topic and the shorter ones with just cases will be used for memorising the cases. Hope that helps!

Sorry this is probably not the answer you want, but every topic is different really. E.g. Sexual Offences for me is maybe 5/6 pages whereas Offences against Property is 2/3. Very minimal imo, definitions, cases with facts (sometimes) and the point of law and relevant legislation. If you need to get more detail on a particular section of a topic you can always read that section of the manual.

Then I'm writing out the main headings for each topic with the cases underneath and a few words beside the case to jog your memory. For example, I'm studying Offences against Property atm so my heading could be:

1. Robbery
    a. Force
    R v Dawson and James - Stole wallet, jostled = force
    DPP v Mangan - 2 nuns, smashed windscreen, fear = force

The main notes will be used to get a broader idea of the topic and the shorter ones with just cases will be used for memorising the cases. Hope that helps!

I'm quite similar to this, reading though the manual highlighting and trying to take condensed notes. As said above, big topics (I'm currently looking at all of due process and it's 7 pages) might eclipse smaller pages (Equality is 2).

Then I refine that 6 pages down into just headings like said above e.g - Right to Legal advice - and list one case per line below the same as above. The logic is if you read your manual and made the notes which you then turned into the list of cases, if you can learn your list and associate the case names together it should stick easier!

Hope this is some help in that the above method isn't just one person!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

Does anyone have a sample answer for this short question in property:

The role that the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 currently plays and will play in the future.

The manual I have is very all over the place with the RTA and it would really help to see a full answer thanks a million in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

I'm looking to get the Constitution to bring into the exam. Online the latest edition seems to be 2016, does anyone know is there a more recent edition as I was hoping it'd have the current articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

lisac223 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a sample answer for this short question in property:

The role that the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 currently plays and will play in the future.

The manual I have is very all over the place with the RTA and it would really help to see a full answer thanks a million in advance :)

Hey yes I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stressssedout

If anyone has property gird/exam papers I would be eternally grateful? I can provide tons of materials for Equity/contract in return; grids, exam papers, manuals etc.

yournerd wrote: »
    Hey yes I do!

Brilliant, I messaged you there :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Does anyone know when City Colleges will release the March 2019 "Night Before Notes?" or if they have already been released?

Interested to see which topics they're focused on for Equity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

TBH I've moved away from making notes somewhat as it's extremely time-consuming. I've been looking at sample answers from past papers instead and highlighting the cases that are being used. Cuts out a lot of material!

I will probably go back and make notes using those cases which seem to be used most frequently in the sample answers.

Good luck!

TBH I've moved away from making notes somewhat as it's extremely time-consuming. I've been looking at sample answers from past papers instead and highlighting the cases that are being used. Cuts out a lot of material!

I will probably go back and make notes using those cases which seem to be used most frequently in the sample answers.

Good luck!

Yes, i am struggling with the volume. Its taking an age to even read through the information

i quit !

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Been lurking on these FE1 threads for a while now.

As someone who's getting on the FE1-horse for the first time in March and it gives immense comfort to know that lots of people are equally as petrified.

Just as a point of curiosity, do yous bother learning off the dates for each case?

That's what been doing so far, but if it's not necessary it'd be great to cut it out!

Obviously the exception being for Essay questions (Eg: Trace the development of a Doctrine, etc)

JCormac wrote: »

As someone who's getting on the FE1-horse for the first time in March and it gives immense comfort to know that lots of people are equally as petrified.

Just as a point of curiosity, do yous bother learning off the dates for each case?

That's what been doing so far, but if it's not necessary it'd be great to cut it out!

Obviously the exception being for Essay questions (Eg: Trace the development of a Doctrine, etc)

I dont and I know from reading on here that there are many others who dont. If you know it great, put it in but I wouldnt sweat it if you didnt.

If anyone has property gird/exam papers I would be eternally grateful? I can provide tons of materials for Equity/contract in return; grids, exam papers, manuals etc.

I have both the Grid and papers if you're still stuck!

Fair warning tho, the grid doesn't include the 2018 October exam.

I dont and I know from reading on here that there are many others who dont. If you know it great, put it in but I wouldnt sweat it if you didnt.

Sound!

Was thinking as much. Just don't want to end up lulling myself into a false sense of security pre-exam, haha

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

can anyone tell me in company what is generally asked in relation to shares?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bayb12

Dates are important in the sense that you know how the law has developed in an area ie don't be writing an answer thinking one case is the current position if a newer case has updated it or changed it. But for actually knowing the dates as in [2012] or (1992) you don't necessarily need that as long as you understand why the case is relevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Emtec

There's absolutely no need to learn the years, save for the one exception that you've outlined.

Every lecturer on the prep courses that I've had so far has told us that it's a waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Having a look back on this thread as I've come out the other end (passed all 8)....
    In UCC you'd get away with leaving out the years as we were told the emphasis on the relevance/ ratio of the case.
    I wouldn't worry about memorizing minute details like years but you'll find they stick/or don't stick.
    Enjoy the ride.... the FE1s will make you or break you lol.
    Sure you've 3 sittings to do Blackhall 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

Does anyone have predictions yet from law school or other places for either contract, Constitutional, Tort and criminal?? Thank you!

Only getting down to study now as I worked until last week so want to narrow it down hopefully

If one was answering a broad question on Separation of Powers like the one a couple sittings ago - Separation of Powers doesn't involve hermatic sealing but some overlap, discuss - what would be the best way to approach that because there are so many ways?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

holliek wrote: »
    can anyone tell me in company what is generally asked in relation to shares?

I would appreciate some insight into this too if anyone can help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Notes are ready to go for my 4 exams...memorisation begins Monday. Hopefully that will be enough time. Feels like I have no actual information in my brain at the moment which is kind of terrifying...

Luckily there is 7 days between my 3rd and 4th exam! Hoping I'll be safe pretty much ignoring contract until that break.

Notes are ready to go for my 4 exams...memorisation begins Monday. Hopefully that will be enough time. Feels like I have no actual information in my brain at the moment which is kind of terrifying...

Luckily there is 7 days between my 3rd and 4th exam! Hoping I'll be safe pretty much ignoring contract until that break.

Same here! Have all my notes done and ready to memorize like mad! Have 4 days between my 3rd and 4th so I'm effectively ignoring equity as well lol

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

I pretty much have no notes for Constitutional as of now yet. I am so doomed :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 loosehead1973

Hi
    Has anyone a strategy for the case notes question on the constitutional paper.
    TIA
    Gus

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Hi
    Has anyone a strategy for the case notes question on the constitutional paper.
    TIA
    Gus

Good question! Before, I think I would have been of the mindframe if you know your key cases well you may get lucky and two you know well will come up. However, after last years 2 questions on one specific topic (family) it’s made me really cautious of preparing for it more than I otherwise would have in case question choice is very scarce.

So I’ve gone through the papers and have a list of all the ones that came up in the last 8 sittings. Some seem to repeat, but still think would be too big an ask at this stage to learn them all well. So thinking from that have highlighted 10/12 that are either A) recent cases that appear a lot on recent papers B) ones that repeat generally and C) ones that feature well in my good topics/ ones that genuinely interest me. This has left me with about 12/13 cases and I may add in one or two more from other recent cases - such as the challenge to the abortion referendum.

What do you think of that approach? Also - does anyone have an indication of how much detail you need for these case notes? Would 2/3 pages be ideal?

• Advertisement

lawless11 wrote: »
    I pretty much have no notes for Constitutional as of now yet. I am so doomed :(.

I'm only halfway through criminal and have not looked at property since before Christmas, all is not lost I assure you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement