Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

Hi
    Has anyone a strategy for the case notes question on the constitutional paper.
    TIA
    Gus
    Good question! Before, I think I would have been of the mindframe if you know your key cases well you may get lucky and two you know well will come up. However, after last years 2 questions on one specific topic (family) it’s made me really cautious of preparing for it more than I otherwise would have in case question choice is very scarce.

So I’ve gone through the papers and have a list of all the ones that came up in the last 8 sittings. Some seem to repeat, but still think would be too big an ask at this stage to learn them all well. So thinking from that have highlighted 10/12 that are either A) recent cases that appear a lot on recent papers B) ones that repeat generally and C) ones that feature well in my good topics/ ones that genuinely interest me. This has left me with about 12/13 cases and I may add in one or two more from other recent cases - such as the challenge to the abortion referendum.

What do you think of that approach? Also - does anyone have an indication of how much detail you need for these case notes? Would 2/3 pages be ideal?

This is something I wonder about too. You need to know the classics (McGee, Crotty, Norris spring to mind) and then she tends to ask recent important ones too but tbh that's difficult to expect or predict. I'm really just praying for one of those classics and as said here something that overlaps with a topic I'm doing in detail. A case like one of the surrogacy cases would be a good shout. I think the lack of choice (2/4) is difficult to the point of unfairness as it can leave you with 5/7 questions to do on a huge course.

Another good shout could be if there are any recent cases on access to the courts. That's been featured recently in problem questions so it's clearly favoured but it could be a bit much to put it into a question again - case note could be more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nimcdona

I'm planning on covering

Succession
    Adverse Possession
    registered and unregistered land
    ownership and possession
    family property
    co-ownwership

and hopefully easements too

does anyone have any thoughts on if that would cover me? Or is it too risky to be leaving mortgages and landlord and tenant law out?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

To those feeling overwhelmed right now.... take it from me, these exams are winnable.
    I failed Equity 3 times (but passed all other 7 on their first sits) so it took me a while. It's disheartening. But you'll get there....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

How many topics are people covering for Tort? i.e. how many do you need to be safe? There's no way I can cover everything...My brain can't handle that many cases!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

How many topics are people covering for Tort? i.e. how many do you need to be safe? There's no way I can cover everything...My brain can't handle that many cases!

So i'm not covering (at least):
    -animal liability
    -fire
    -concurrent wrongdoers (fatal injuries etc)

-statutory liablity
    -pure economic loss
    -public authority liability
    -other economic torts (not including passing off)

What do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

nimcdona wrote: »
    I'm planning on covering

Succession
    Adverse Possession
    registered and unregistered land
    ownership and possession
    family property
    co-ownwership

and hopefully easements too

does anyone have any thoughts on if that would cover me? Or is it too risky to be leaving mortgages and landlord and tenant law out?

I second this;

No idea really as it's my first time sitting Property (& FE1s in general) but I'm pretty much the same as you.

Contemplating leaving those two topics out if I can get away with it, but am unsure as to their importance in the grand scheme of Property.

lawless11 wrote: »
    So i'm not covering (at least):
    -animal liability
    -fire
    -concurrent wrongdoers (fatal injuries etc)

-statutory liablity
    -pure economic loss
    -public authority liability
    -other economic torts (not including passing off)

What do you think?

So far my definites are:

Nuisance/Rylands/Land
    Trespass to Person
    Negligence/DOC/SOC/Causation
    Occupier's Liability
    Medical Negligence
    Defamation
    Damages
    Passing Off
    Negligent Misstatement

Probably should cover but kind of seem like maybe they are due a rest:
    Vicarious Liability
    Products Liability

Would it be ridiculous to leave out Duress (as a defence) for Criminal?

Really feeling the pinch of time now

JCormac wrote: »

I'm led to believe the most important defences to know are Provocation (but this goes with homicide more so), Lawful Excuse, Insanity, Intoxication and Automatism (goes with Actus Reus).

Necessity, Mistake, Entrapment, Infancy are less important, I'm gunna know 1/2 cases for each.

I'd put duress in the middle of that important wise. Maybe just learn the main cases in case it comes up as part of another Q? E.g. if the bulk of a question is about homicide but duress was involved you might only have to drop 1 or 2 big cases to pick up the marks in relation to duress.

Just my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

For those doing Property, do not leave out findings/Treasure Trove.

It is the easiest topic in the FE1s to prepare and to learn and comes up so often. You would be mad to leave it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

know what it is and know a main case or two.

Yohnathan wrote: »
    For those doing Property, do not leave out findings/Treasure Trove.

It is the easiest topic in the FE1s to prepare and to learn and comes up so often. You would be mad to leave it out.

what would you recommend to cover for property

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

Breacnua wrote: »

I sat property three sittings ago so cannot fully remember to be honest. But I know that every exam, people think of leaving out treasure trove and it always seemed to come up.

I might have my notes on TT still. Its the sort of answer you can do in 10 minutes in the exam and saves your time for the more difficult topics that come up.

I second this;

No idea really as it's my first time sitting Property (& FE1s in general) but I'm pretty much the same as you.

Contemplating leaving those two topics out if I can get away with it, but am unsure as to their importance in the grand scheme of Property.

First time for Fe1s and law for me too so a bit clueless,

Hopefully we'll be ok without them anyway...

Any idea how important criminal procedure topic is in the scheme of criminal law?

May as well procrastinate further...

I'm doing:

Succession x 2 - Almost always there are 2 questions on succession.
    Adverse Possession - Comes up 99% of the time.
    Co-Ownership - Comes up 90% of the time.
    Finding - Comes up a lot, hasn't come up last 2 sittings and is a lovely topic.
    Mortgages
    Registration
    Easements

I might cover Family Property as well cos it's a handy topic though it came up last sitting.

Does anyone have an up to date grid for Criminal? Can swap for Tort, Property or Contract.

I'm led to believe the most important defences to know are Provocation (but this goes with homicide more so), Lawful Excuse, Insanity, Intoxication and Automatism (goes with Actus Reus).

Necessity, Mistake, Entrapment, Infancy are less important, I'm gunna know 1/2 cases for each.

I'd put duress in the middle of that important wise. Maybe just learn the main cases in case it comes up as part of another Q? E.g. if the bulk of a question is about homicide but duress was involved you might only have to drop 1 or 2 big cases to pick up the marks in relation to duress.

Just my opinion!

Thank you!

You're right yeah, I'll just brush up on it lightly because it'd be crazy not to.

Knowing my luck it'll come up anyway, but sure listen

Any idea how important criminal procedure topic is in the scheme of criminal law?

Apparently it comes up as a question nearly every year, sometimes with two questions (?) that's what the Independent colleges criminal lecturer said on the topic anyway.

I was tempted to leave it out until I heard that.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

For a trespass to person question in tort where someone is on someone else's property and the property owner threatens, batters and falsely imprisons them as they often do in the problem questions, how would you work the Defence of Dwellings Act 2011 into that. I'm just doing criminal at the moment and I'm wondering about the applicability. I know obviously one is civil and the other is criminal but I'm just wondering what anyone else may think?

• Advertisement

For a trespass to person question in tort where someone is on someone else's property and the property owner threatens, batters and falsely imprisons them as they often do in the problem questions, how would you work the Defence of Dwellings Act 2011 into that. I'm just doing criminal at the moment and I'm wondering about the applicability. I know obviously one is civil and the other is criminal but I'm just wondering what anyone else may think?

The act applies as a defence to criminal and civil liability. So if the Q is about an assault occurring in someone's home you could mention that they may be able to use the 2011 Act as a defence if they were the homeowner, reasonable force was used, subjective test etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

it might come as part of an answer but never on its own

mostly - theres 1 Q on paper from this area

can leave it out but would want to have all other areas known well

sometimes it can be a handy Q

mostly - theres 1 Q on paper from this area

can leave it out but would want to have all other areas known well

sometimes it can be a handy Q

Ah ok, thank you!

I'll try and fit it in if I can so

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Any ideas of what can be left aside for Constitutional in terms of topics?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Nikcan18

Would anyone have good condensed notes on equity? I got some but they are not the best I have criminal contract or eu to swap.

Im also looking advice on which trusts are most likely to come up and what I can leave out as I am trying to condense as much as possible at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Jimdtug1

Are any of the one day revision courses worth doing?

Nikcan18 wrote: »
    Would anyone have good condensed notes on equity? I got some but they are not the best I have criminal contract or eu to swap.

Im also looking advice on which trusts are most likely to come up and what I can leave out as I am trying to condense as much as possible at this stage.

I was told with regards to trusts to do express, resulting, constructive and charitable trusts, hope that helps

But I noticed in October 2017 q1 was a problem question with resulting trusts and secret trusts, so theres always a possibility they'll be mixed, so its always going to be a risk I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Hello everyone,

So I am starting memorising the materials today.
    For criminal I am covering:
    1. Means and actus rea
    2. Homicide
    3. Complicity in offences
    4. Non FatalOAP Act
    5. Sexual offences
    6. Property offences
    7. Public order offences
    8. Offences against justice
    9. Incohate offences
    10. Practice procedure detention and bail
    11. Defences

For Eu I am covering

1. Competition law
    2. Free movement of goods and workers
    3. Judicial review art 263
    4. General principles
    5. Equality
    6. Citizenship
    7. Direct effect
    8. Institutions
    9. Sources of Eu law

I am well covered for both subjects ???
    If I was to leave something out what should it be??

TÍA

• Advertisement

jewels652 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

So I am starting memorising the materials today.
    For criminal I am covering:
    1. Means and actus rea
    2. Homicide
    3. Complicity in offences
    4. Non FatalOAP Act
    5. Sexual offences
    6. Property offences
    7. Public order offences
    8. Offences against justice
    9. Incohate offences
    10. Practice procedure detention and bail
    11. Defences

For Eu I am covering

1. Competition law
    2. Free movement of goods and workers
    3. Judicial review art 263
    4. General principles
    5. Equality
    6. Citizenship
    7. Direct effect
    8. Institutions
    9. Sources of Eu law

I am well covered for both subjects ???
    If I was to leave something out what should it be??

TÍA

You would have to be unbelievably unlucky not to be more than sufficiently covered for Criminal with that. If I was to leave out something it would be Offences against Justice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement