Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Has anybody been successful in sourcing (allowed) physical copies of The Sale of Goods & supply of Services Act 1990 & Sale of Goods Act 1893 for the Contract exam?

Been looking around for them myself and haven't been having much luck unforch

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Nikcan18

JCormac wrote: »
    Has anybody been successful in sourcing (allowed) physical copies of The Sale of Goods & supply of Services Act 1990 & Sale of Goods Act 1893 for the Contract exam?

Been looking around for them myself and haven't been having much luck unforch

Have you contacted the government publication office? 076 1106 834

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Nikcan18 wrote: »
    Have you contacted the government publication office? 076 1106 834

Great, thank you!

I didn't actually. I'll ring them in a bit & edit the comment then to say how I got on. (Just in case other people are looking for the Acts also)

Update:

Got the Sale of Goods & Services 1990; Sale of Goods 1893; 2009 Conveyancing Act & The 1965 Succession Act. All for under €25.

Estimated arrival time is 3 days from ordering.

Thought it'd cost a lot more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Hey,

So based on trends and frequency of topics being examined, I am covering the following for Equity:

Injunctions (particularly quia timet, interlocutory, AP)
    Charitable Trusts
    Non-Charitable
    Cy-press
    Rectification
    Undue Influence / Recission
    Satisfaction
    Trusteeship
    DMC
    Three Certainties
    Strong v Bird
    Quistclose Trusts

I know the paper is unpredictable etc but I struggle with equity so the above is already a lot for me to get my head around.

Any thoughts? Am I missing anything major, or anything worth leaving out?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Hey,

So based on trends and frequency of topics being examined, I am covering the following for Equity:

Charitable Trusts
    Non-Charitable
    Cy-press
    Rectification
    Satisfaction
    Trusteeship
    DMC
    Three Certainties
    Strong v Bird
    Quistclose Trusts

I know the paper is unpredictable etc but I struggle with equity so the above is already a lot for me to get my head around.

Do Specific Performance also. Usually comes up with Rectification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

Hey,

Charitable Trusts
    Non-Charitable
    Cy-press
    Rectification
    Satisfaction
    Trusteeship
    DMC
    Three Certainties
    Strong v Bird
    Quistclose Trusts

Leraf wrote: »
    Do Specific Performance also. Usually comes up with Rectification.

Specific Performance is very much due (despite the unpredictability). Estoppel has been up 2 in a row and I think SP might be 3 sittings gone at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mariealice

Hey guys,

Looking for recent sample answers for property/eu if anyone has them? Can swap for tort/constitutional sample answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nimcdona

Hey,

Charitable Trusts
    Non-Charitable
    Cy-press
    Rectification
    Satisfaction
    Trusteeship
    DMC
    Three Certainties
    Strong v Bird
    Quistclose Trusts

Constructive trusts could be a good one to do if you get a chance, apparently its due and has been always the same 2 essay questions when it appears

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

Hi, anyone else up to their eyeballs in tort, what are topics are people studying/focusing on? Any advice is appreciated as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TillyG

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, only joined today. I am sitting exams in October (left to late for March sitting) can anyone provide suggestions for best way to study. Hoping to sit Contract, Equity, Property and Criminal.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Kallyann1

Hi!

Does anyone have any sample tort answers? I am finding that the reports are very minimal!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Kallyann1 wrote: »
    Hi!

Does anyone have any sample tort answers? I am finding that the reports are very minimal!

Hey I do - PM me your email :)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Criminal Law

In the October 2018 report the examiner says that the question is based on the facts of a recent case DPP v Solowiow 2018 I have been looking for this case online and no luck.

Would somebody that may know this case please give me a summary of it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

jewels652 wrote: »
    Criminal Law

In the October 2018 report the examiner says that the question is based on the facts of a recent case DPP v Solowiow 2018 I have been looking for this case online and no luck.

Would somebody that may know this case please give me a summary of it.

Thanks

My 2-second googling gave me this. https://scoirl.wordpress.com/2018/02/17/dpp-v-solowiow-trial-judge-must-assess-defendants-lies-in-time-nature-and-circumstances-of-offence-when-directing-jury/

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gomzu

Is anyone else just absolutely wrecked? This is hopefully my last two but I just seem to have lost the will to study 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

jewels652 wrote: »
    Thank you so much.

No probs.

@Gomzu: wrecked, tired, and working lol. Super combo of the death.

Anyway, still looking at any insights about constitutional (and what could be left as topics) :x. Notes ready ok for my other two, but i don't have time to do constitutional ones so I think i'll just try and learn off the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Gomzu wrote: »
    Is anyone else just absolutely wrecked? This is hopefully my last two but I just seem to have lost the will to study ��

Wrecked with no will to study either. It honestly feels like i am learning nothing. I am so sick of FE1s. Cant wait until they're over.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

Leraf wrote: »
    Wrecked with no will to study either. It honestly feels like i am learning nothing. I am so sick of FE1s. Cant wait until they're over.

How many do you have left? This is my first time sitting and I already can't wait to be done! It's gonna be a loooong year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawlad101

Does anyone have any grids/answers for Constitutional or Contract? I have stuff for Criminal, Equity, Property and EU if you wanna PM me. :)

• Advertisement

does anyone know whats the story with bringing the acts in? Where to hand them in the day before?

And also are you able to highlight and tab them and just not write on them?
    Or do they have to be completely untouched?

Worried about having things highlighted and being told I can't bring it in then

• Registered Users Posts: 47 starfishxxo

You can highlight and underline (no problem with using different colours) and use tabs, but no writing.

It's usually sign posted in the Red Cow where they are to be handed in before 1pm the day before. If you hand in your legislation on the morning of the exam, they will usually bring it to your desk in the first half hour, if not already there before the exam starts.

nimcdona wrote: »
    does anyone know whats the story with bringing the acts in? Where to hand them in the day before?

You can highlight and underline (no problem with using different colours) and use tabs, but no writing.

It's usually sign posted in the Red Cow where they are to be handed in before 1pm the day before. If you hand in your legislation on the morning of the exam, they will usually bring it to your desk in the first half hour, if not already there before the exam starts.

Oh thats great, thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Does anyone have an up to date grid for Criminal? I can trade for lots of other stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Does anyone have an up to date grid for Criminal? I can trade for lots of other stuff!

looking for the same
    I have other subjects if neeeded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

nimcdona wrote: »

hightlighting and Tabbing the pg is ok

Nothing more than that tho !

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Supreme!Fox

Could somebody explain the criminal law defence of intoxication to me? Specifically what mens rea is required for voluntary and involuntary intoxication. (specific and basic intent)

Also, would it be fine to ignore the Procedure, Detention and Bail chapter if covering everything else, or do people normally tie that chapter in when advising clients at the end of each problem q?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

Could somebody explain the criminal law defence of intoxication to me? Specifically what mens rea is required for voluntary and involuntary intoxication. (specific and basic intent)

Also, would it be fine to ignore the Procedure, Detention and Bail chapter if covering everything else, or do people normally tie that chapter in when advising clients at the end of each problem q?

I think the best way to break it down is to look at voluntary intoxication in the most detail. If you become intoxicated by your own will, the courts have been inclined to say that you cannot form the intent for specific intent offences, murder being the obvious one, off the top of my head I suppose making or causing a loss by deception would be an outfield one too and a couple more dishonesty based ones. The exception is where you intentionally get yourself drunk for dutch courage as per AG for NI v Gallagher.

Basic intent you can be held liable for because one need only be reckless for basic intent offences. Manslaughter is usually from an unlawful act which is dangerous (gross negligence too of course). So assault causing harm would be strict liability for example and serious harm has the possibility to be caused recklessly. If you do one of those while drunk and they end up dead you can and likely will be held liable for the manslaughter. In R v Caldwell this came up where they held he could be convicted for the reckless arson but not for the intention to harm arson as that required specific intent so that's a good case to differentiate. Australia have done away with the distinction as being arbitrary but as per DPP v John Reilly though the court expressed reservations we still follow distinction like the English.

Regarding Innocent intoxication that'll only happen if you're spiked or you take a drug following the doctors orders without awareness it would cause the reaction it did. In DPP v Majewski the guy took 200 pills and assaulted a few people so he was liable whereas in R v Hardie he took valium to calm himself down and had an adverse reaction and became aggressive so it was held that he couldn't expect that.

Essentially the policy reason behind it all is you can't become intoxicated and act with wanton disregard of law and that was pretty much the logic stated in AG v Manning regarding men "giving in to their passions" or something like that.

Regarding that chapter:
    It's a nasty boring area and I don't want to answer on it. There's often a question disguised as a problem but its essentially an essay where the client says tell me everything about detention, arrest and my right to silence. But on top of that there might be a question where at the end of the offences committed he throws in that he's out on bail at the time. Another year there was 2 questions that brought it in and another on the courts specifically so I'd recommend having a barebones knowledge on it. I'm tryna have 3/4 cases for each area, an idea of bail and then be able to talk about the Special Criminal court with 5 or 6 cases just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BemusedKettle

Would it be possible to leave everything for contract (and I mean everything) to do between the evening of the 15th and the morning of the 21st?

I'm a dab hand at cramming but I'm still writing up my other four subjects haha (sob)

Contract is fairly easy to learn going from my undergrad, but I've no idea about the scope and predictability of the course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Anybody still working full time and still have about half your notes left to make? Misery loves company

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement