Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Does anyone have any experience of trying to use legislative sources that have a small amount of writing on them? I've borrowed a friend's Companies Act and I'm worried it'll get rejected.

There's only a small amount of writing such as "NB" or "Important" on total of 10 pages max in the whole book. There's nothing like case law or explanations or anything. If I Tipp-Exed them out would they care or even notice? How thorough do they search it?

I have never tested them. I for one would be a lot happier not taking the chance that they will accept it on the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

Does anyone understand what exactly you’d talk about for Constitutional law if we are asked about access to the courts/access to justice...I don’t understand what points this Q is hitting on?

seems like a mixed bag of different things like locus standi, equality, socio economic rights.. or am I missing the whole point here?? Fairly confused help!

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

Does any kind soul have the EU & Constitutional predictions given by Independent colleges? In dire need to choose what limited topics to study!

Also how do people choose what case notes to study for both?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Anyone else not start learning off yet? :(

Don't think I'll be ready for another few days at least

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gomzu

scooby321 wrote: »
    Does any kind soul have the EU & Constitutional predictions given by Independent colleges? In dire need to choose what limited topics to study!

Also how do people choose what case notes to study for both?

The topics the city colleges lecturer for EU said are high priority are: institutions and creation law, general principles, direct effect, judicial review, free movement goods, competition law, free movement workers and equality law.

Just on the case note- the lecturer in city college for EU recommended against doing the casenote unless you know the cases asked in great detail. They said they’d recommend most people don’t do the case notes for that reason.

@iamanengine: very much in the same boat! This is my first time even looking at most of the topics in 4/5 years. But it’s worked out for the last two sittings for me so *shrug*.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

Gomzu wrote: »
    The topics the city colleges lecturer for EU said are high priority are: institutions and creation law, general principles, direct effect, judicial review, free movement goods, competition law, free movement workers and equality law.

Just on the case note- the lecturer in city college for EU recommended against doing the casenote unless you know the cases asked in great detail. They said they’d recommend most people don’t do the case notes for that reason.

@iamanengine: very much in the same boat! This is my first time even looking at most of the topics in 4/5 years. But it’s worked out for the last two sittings for me so *shrug*.
    Thank you so so much! This is a huge help! I will avoid the case note and focus on those areas as I am only cracking down today

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

Gomzu wrote: »

Can second the randomness of the case notes, I had a lot on taxation expecting a full question, thought I was done for when I thought I could only answer 4 questions but in the case note were a lot of taxation cases so it was great. Wrote 1 1/2 pages for each, gave the reason it was important and the cases which either led up to it or followed on from it (but ensured not to get sidetracked - just made sure they knew I knew the context) and it was given 13/20, so hopefully that's some indication of what they look for.

I really do not want to have to do it in Constitutional as there's less choice and the cases can at times be obscure - pray for Crotty and McGee!

I'm only starting learning off tomorrow and I've 4, I don't mind property or criminal but Tort is just hundreds of cases and it's daunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lmsc

Same! im condensing all my notes down to flashcards still. Although I feel the more groundwork you do the easier it is to learn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Not even doing flashcards but yes, still on doing notes too for Constitutional! *eep*

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BemusedKettle

Criminal Property and Constitutional here. Had 2 in a row the last set and I was shattered for the second as I was too stressed to sleep much both nights, only advice I have is to look after yourself physically in the run up. Sadly exercise is gone out the window since last week for me but if you've time get in something, it helps a lot. Also eat clean and drink tonnes of water and you'll feel better for it. Sounds obvious but it really is true.

The week of try sleep as decently as you can and the nights before just remember you get to a point of diminishing returns where you're not learning any more and you're acting to the detriment of your brain power and memory tomorrow!

Nods at the screen emphatically through a cloud of tobacco smoke with eyes burned red from sleep deprivation in a room carpeted with take away boxes and cans of energy drink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Can second the randomness of the case notes, I had a lot on taxation expecting a full question, thought I was done for when I thought I could only answer 4 questions but in the case note were a lot of taxation cases so it was great. Wrote 1 1/2 pages for each, gave the reason it was important and the cases which either led up to it or followed on from it (but ensured not to get sidetracked - just made sure they knew I knew the context) and it was given 13/20, so hopefully that's some indication of what they look for.

I really do not want to have to do it in Constitutional as there's less choice and the cases can at times be obscure - pray for Crotty and McGee!

I'm only starting learning off tomorrow and I've 4, I don't mind property or criminal but Tort is just hundreds of cases and it's daunting.

Agree with this greatly! I mean I understand that constitutional you do perhaps need a deeper understanding of the cases than in other subjects, but very few of my cases I would know enough about them to be able to generate a full case note (presuming around 2/3 pages?) Crotty and McGee for sure - and maybe Norris 😅

Agree with this greatly! I mean I understand that constitutional you do perhaps need a deeper understanding of the cases than in other subjects, but very few of my cases I would know enough about them to be able to generate a full case note (presuming around 2/3 pages?) Crotty and McGee for sure - and maybe Norris ��

For sure, but when you're learning 10-15 topics you can't be expected to know every case in huge detail, just know why it's applicable and why the law developed as it did. That can usually be disposed of in 3 lines, it doesn't mean you don't understand the case, it just means you don't know enough to write 2 pages on it! I think if your detail is high quality surely 2 pages would be enough, because even with the cases I know I'm not capable of 3 A4 pages worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Fe1hayes

scooby321 wrote: »
    Thank you so so much! This is a huge help! I will avoid the case note and focus on those areas as I am only cracking down today

If you are doing workers do citizenship as they always come up together same with comp law and state aid . I find putting in so much work for one topic might as well be Able to answer the qu and they are small topics anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Freckley201

AJM95 wrote: »
    Anyone sitting three exams in a row (company,criminal & property), just wondering how you may be managing time or any tips on how to cram for each the week of?

I did my first four back to back and passed, best thing I did was to go home and take a nap/rest until about 3/4pm after the exam and then allow yourself to revise for maybe 4hrs max, have a nice dinner and get an early night. You can do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kallyann1

Does anyone know how easily/ difficult tort is marked? Seems to be a LOT of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 starfishxxo

Does anyone have recent grids for any of Constitutional, Equity, EU, or Company? Would be very grateful, and happy to exchange for other materials, sample answers, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

Tort - What topics are people covering?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Anyone have predictions for any of the following subjects? Really trying to narrow down content..
    - Constitutional
    - Contract
    - Company
    - Equity
    - Criminal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Would anyone be willing to send me past papers for criminal, equity and property?

Plz

Kallyann1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how easily/ difficult tort is marked? Seems to be a LOT of cases.

I'm wondering this too, it's a silly huge course and he always seems to say in his reports that students struggled to score high marks in questions but got passes - which terrifies me because I want to get some 12 and 13 questions as there's a real possibility i'll let myself down in a question or (i fear) 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

ally1234 wrote: »
    Tort - What topics are people covering?

So far I'm banking on a Land tort Q, Trespass to Person Q, Negligence Q (DOC/SOC/Causation...). Feel like at least 2 of those will come up.

I think it's too risky to leave out Vicarious Liability even though it's been rinsed at this stage.

My outside picks are Medical Negligence and Liability for Animals.

Also gunna do Pure Economic Loss/Nervous Shock/Negligent Misstatement.

I know I need to do more but they are my focus for now.

Other topics I should probably do - Defamation, Damages, Passing Off.
    Other topic to think about - Employers Liability, Occupiers, Products

UGH

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

So far I'm banking on a Land tort Q, Trespass to Person Q, Negligence Q (DOC/SOC/Causation...). Feel like at least 2 of those will come up.

I think it's too risky to leave out Vicarious Liability even though it's been rinsed at this stage.

My outside picks are Medical Negligence and Liability for Animals.

Also gunna do Pure Economic Loss/Nervous Shock/Negligent Misstatement.

I know I need to do more but they are my focus for now.

Other topics I should probably do - Defamation, Damages, Passing Off.
    Other topic to think about - Employers Liability, Occupiers, Products

UGH

Ugh is right! Thanks a million for that, im thinking along the same lines. It's a nightmare of a subject, so much to cover and im remembering none of it. Best of luck with your revision :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Anyone have the case facts for BOI v Rockfield?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 marc24

Does anyone know what came up in the last sitting of property? Did the new examiner throw anything whacky into the mix or keep it fairly similar?

marc24 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what came up in the last sitting of property? Did the new examiner throw anything whacky into the mix or keep it fairly similar?

Old examiner back in. The other who was in the previous though didn't do anything utterly wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 marc24

Old examiner back in. The other who was in the previous though didn't do anything utterly wild.

Thanks for this. Can sleep easy with some of the old reliables so

marc24 wrote: »
    Thanks for this. Can sleep easy with some of the old reliables so

What are you going in with? I'm only doing 7/8 topics for property vs 15-20 for the likes of tort.

Succession (2 questions)
    Easements (only left out once from Oct 12 - Oct '17 in my grid)
    Adverse Possession (once also and not the same sitting)
    Finding wasn't up the last 2 and was very frequent til recently.

Could get 5 out of those but just in case also have:

Co-Ownership
    Family Property
    Licences and Estoppel

All these 3 were up last time so some won't be, but there's never been all 3 skipped.

Systems of Land Registration - least amount of knowledge but something.

I'm leaving out Landlord and Tenant because I've too much notes for it to whittle down and Mortgages because it bores me to death. Am I mad or should I be fine, what do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nimcdona

What are you going in with? I'm only doing 7/8 topics for property vs 15-20 for the likes of tort.

Succession (2 questions)
    Easements (only left out once from Oct 12 - Oct '17 in my grid)
    Adverse Possession (once also and not the same sitting)
    Finding wasn't up the last 2 and was very frequent til recently.

Could get 5 out of those but just in case also have:

Co-Ownership
    Family Property
    Licences and Estoppel

All these 3 were up last time so some won't be, but there's never been all 3 skipped.

Systems of Land Registration - least amount of knowledge but something.

I'm leaving out Landlord and Tenant because I've too much notes for it to whittle down and Mortgages because it bores me to death. Am I mad or should I be fine, what do people think?

Thats exactly what I'm planning on covering with the exception of licences and more of a focus on registration, so if you're mad I am too

I'd be very surprised if we weren't covered

Does anyone understand the concept of wilful default in relation to trustees, I know the case re chapman refers to it but I can't really get my head around it, does it mean that if a trustee isn't involved in the trust that they're still liable?

Would appreciate if anyone had any info on it

• Advertisement

Also for equity is there any injunctions people are focusing on, or would you advise to cover them all equally?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement