Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

nimcdona wrote: »
    Thats exactly what I'm planning on covering with the exception of licences and more of a focus on registration, so if you're mad I am too

I'd be very surprised if we weren't covered

I think we should both be fine, hoping for 4 of that top 5 if not 5. Then Family and Co-Ownership are a good shout for 1 question.

Licences and Registration will have to be up if the above are not.

That's a relief that I'm not on my own at least. It makes sense but you know the nervous rationalisation one does when taking calculated (minor) risks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

A mate of mine did one of the courses and Finding, Mortgages, Registration and Landlord and Tenant were tipped to come up with an especially strong suggestion of covering Finding and Registration.

I'm doing:

Succession
    AP
    Finding
    Easements
    Registration
    Mortgages
    Family Property

Possibly/Should do: Co-ownership

Leaving out Landlord and Tenant because there is way too much and 2 completely different kinds of questions can come up on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

S. 6 of the Bail Act 1997 - the accused cannot commit any offence and the accused shall otherwise be of good behaviour.

If X is out on bail for robbery and is then charged with rape, is this deemed a breach of bail?

Or does X need to actually be convicted of rape before he has breached the conditions under S.6?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Also for equity is there any injunctions people are focusing on, or would you advise to cover them all equally?

Know a bit about all but mostly Quia Timet and Mandatory, the Campus Oil and Lingham Tests and the Departures from Campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

S. 6 of the Bail Act 1997 - the accused cannot commit any offence and the accused shall otherwise be of good behaviour.

If X is out on bail for robbery and is then charged with rape, is this deemed a breach of bail?

Or does X need to actually be convicted of rape before he has breached the conditions under S.6?

I think it would only be a breach if the offence was committed while on bail. If the offence was committed prior to bail but only came to light while on bail it wouldn't be a breach.

Guesswork on my part though! I wonder if it would cause the court to reassess the grant of bail in light of new information...hmm, now I really don't know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Would anyone be willing to send me past papers for criminal, equity and property?

Plz

If you still need them, I can send them on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

What are you going in with? I'm only doing 7/8 topics for property vs 15-20 for the likes of tort.

Succession (2 questions)
    Easements (only left out once from Oct 12 - Oct '17 in my grid)
    Adverse Possession (once also and not the same sitting)
    Finding wasn't up the last 2 and was very frequent til recently.

Could get 5 out of those but just in case also have:

Co-Ownership
    Family Property
    Licences and Estoppel

All these 3 were up last time so some won't be, but there's never been all 3 skipped.

Systems of Land Registration - least amount of knowledge but something.

I'm leaving out Landlord and Tenant because I've too much notes for it to whittle down and Mortgages because it bores me to death. Am I mad or should I be fine, what do people think?

This is what I was thinking. There is a chance easments or AP wont appear but even so by covering this (some topics are short) i think should be well covered

- sucession
    - AP
    - Easements
    - Co ownership
    - Reg of land (usually same Q isn't it?)
    - Findings
    - Family property
    - Findings
    - Licences and Estoppel

I am allowing for Q on AP or Easments may not be overly nice so shorter topics might be handy.

thoughts?

I think it would only be a breach if the offence was committed while on bail. If the offence was committed prior to bail but only came to light while on bail it wouldn't be a breach.

Guesswork on my part though! I wonder if it would cause the court to reassess the grant of bail in light of new information...hmm, now I really don't know!

What I’m getting at is whether that “committed” part merely refers to being arrested / charge being brought.

Or would the accused need to be convicted of an offence to satisfy the “committed” element.

i.e. if X is out on bail for robbery and is then subsequently arrested for another offence. If this breaches the considitions of his bail, then surely this goes against the presumption of innocence?

Also for equity is there any injunctions people are focusing on, or would you advise to cover them all equally?

Going by recent past, i wouldn't leave anything out but maybe focus on what is more probable

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

A mate of mine did one of the courses and Finding, Mortgages, Registration and Landlord and Tenant were tipped to come up with an especially strong suggestion of covering Finding and Registration.

I'm doing:

Succession
    AP
    Finding
    Easements
    Registration
    Mortgages
    Family Property

Possibly/Should do: Co-ownership

Leaving out Landlord and Tenant because there is way too much and 2 completely different kinds of questions can come up on it.

Would I be wrong in thinking that Registration doesn't come up as a Problem question?

Dear god I hope I'm wrong b/c essay questions are my Achilles heel

• Advertisement

JCormac wrote: »
    Would I be wrong in thinking that Registration doesn't come up as a Problem question?

has always been an essay

October 2017-
    According to the Property Registration Authority of Ireland,
    By international comparison, Ireland has a very extensive and well developed system of land registration. Since the foundation of the Land Registry in 1892, there has been a gradual, ongoing and continuous programme of movement away from the older and limited system of recording deeds (in the Registry of Deeds), to the more modern, flexible and comprehensive 'title registration' system provided through the Land Registry.
    In light of the above statement, critically assess the development and operation of the system for recording property transactions in relation to property in Ireland.

Breacnua wrote: »
    has always been an essay

October 2017-
    According to the Property Registration Authority of Ireland,
    By international comparison, Ireland has a very extensive and well developed system of land registration. Since the foundation of the Land Registry in 1892, there has been a gradual, ongoing and continuous programme of movement away from the older and limited system of recording deeds (in the Registry of Deeds), to the more modern, flexible and comprehensive 'title registration' system provided through the Land Registry.
    In light of the above statement, critically assess the development and operation of the system for recording property transactions in relation to property in Ireland.
    JCormac wrote: »

I'm more of a fan of problems too, but I don't see how the topic could lend itself to a problem, much more simple to ask an essay on it. Some things like Succession can swing either way and finding is obviously more easily a problem but Registration would be an odd problem.

Anyone know why there are no up to date night before tort notes up? They're up for every other subject as far as I can see!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

Hey, does anyone have anything decent on the Double Construction Rule in Constitutional Law please?

Anyone know why there are no up to date night before tort notes up? They're up for every other subject as far as I can see!

other subjects wont load for me

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

For Tort

Do you think defamation is a safe chunk to leave out because it’s generally self contained?

I know it’s a regular/constant but I didnt factor in time wise at all and extremely far behind in Constitutional and Company .... let’s not mention EU law.

Could you please post the link? I can still only see October 2018 notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Equity
    I am covering
    maxims
    All injunctions
    All trusts
    Specific performance
    tracing
    Rectification

I am leaving out:
    recission
    estoppal
    Is this ok? Or are the left out topics mixed alot. Literally first time looking at equity in years have no course notes etc so headless chicken approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

kasey0123 wrote: »
    For Tort

Do you think defamation is a safe chunk to leave out because it’s generally self contained?

I know it’s a regular/constant but I didnt factor in time wise at all and extremely far behind in Constitutional and Company .... let’s not mention EU law.

Defamation is the only topic I left out in Tort! It's just too big and boring for me and it doesn't ever mingle with other questions so we should be grand! :)

Anyone know how Company is marked. Probably done the least for this subject and leaving out receivership capital maintenance shareholders meetings..

• Advertisement

lisac223 wrote: »
    Defamation is the only topic I left out in Tort! It's just too big and boring for me and it doesn't ever mingle with other questions so we should be grand! :)

Yeah it’s like 35 pages I do not have in me!! It’s easily identified too so... here’s to hoping the other 7 qs aren’t rotten 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 24 iana2017

Hi everyone,

I'm desperately looking for some up to date grids for constitution, company, tort & contract, if anyone has any to share... also maybe some predictions... need to cut some as I'm working full time till the exams...

Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

I asked a question here before about whether attempted burglary was a strict liability offence and I think I found the answer in an old exam report just in case anyone else was wondering!

"In R v Kelly (1992) 97 Cr App Rep 245 Kelly had used a large screwdriver to break into a house, when he was confronted by the occupier. Kelly used the screwdriver to assault the occupier when making his exit. Kelly appealed against conviction for aggravated burglary on the basis that the weapon was not intended for use to cause injury and so the definition of aggravated burglary was not satisfied. It was held:

the time at which the appellant must be proved to have with him a weapon of offence to make him guilty of aggravated burglary was the time he actually stole. The screwdriver would become a weapon of offence on proof that the appellant intended to use it for causing injury...

For aggravated burglary, the mens rea of ordinary burglary must be proven. In addition, it is necessary that the accused is aware of his possession of the weapon, although it is not required to prove an intention to use the weapon for burglary. Moreover, it is not necessary to prove an intention to use the weapon to cause injury or incapacitation."

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

For EU is it worth learning the development of the treaties? Does this come up as an essay Q ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

For EU is it worth learning the development of the treaties? Does this come up as an essay Q ever?

Don't think so - I didn't anyway for last sitting! Just know maybe the 3-4 important ones (Rome, Maastricht, Lisbonne etc.).

My question is for Criminal - how much in detail do we need to know legislation? Do we need to know the "word by word" provisions or can we summarize it/rephrase them? I don't think I can learn by heart all of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

lawless11 wrote: »
    Don't think so - I didn't anyway for last sitting! Just know maybe the 3-4 important ones (Rome, Maastricht, Lisbonne etc.).

My question is for Criminal - how much in detail do we need to know legislation? Do we need to know the "word by word" provisions or can we summarize it/rephrase them? I don't think I can learn by heart all of them...

Thank you!

No definitely don't need to learn the legislation verbatim, as long as you have the provision (which I often highlight, similar to highlighting my cases) and all the key elements of the offence/defence as provided for in statute. Summarising the legislation shows a thorough understanding of it, learning provisions word-for-word just shows you have a good memory.

Could you please post the link? I can still only see October 2018 notes.

https://www.citycolleges.ie/uncategorized/fe1-night-before-notes/ the above person was correct, they're not loading and tort is not up!

kasey0123 wrote: »
    Anyone know how Company is marked. Probably done the least for this subject and leaving out receivership capital maintenance shareholders meetings..

I felt it was generously marked, I liked company in college, but still, quite nice imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Do I understand correctly that the S.48 of the 2017 CJ (Sexual Offences) Act amending the old S.9 of the Criminal Law (Rape) (Amendment) Act 1991 for consent to sexual acts applies to ALL sexual offences/types of rape/sexual assault/etc?

Reform is confusing me a good bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

What have the colleges predicted? I'm doing constitutional, company, contract, criminal and equity. Anyone done a course in any of these and willing to give a heads up?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement