Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

user115 wrote: »
    Hey!

Wanted to get people's thoughts on something....I signed up to do EU and Tort this sitting, I got my magic 3 last October, but I'm very behind. I have about three quarters of EU done from study over Christmas and then I had alot going on over the last while so I basically have about 3 chapters done in Tort so far, should I just not bother sitting Tort just do EU? I don't know how I would get all notes done for tort over the next week and then learn it all off in just a day and then sit and do a three hour exam...and then catch up on EU do about 3 more topics for EU and prep for exam. I feel like I would put myself under unreal pressure and may not even pass tort and might also fail EU if I don't focus enough on it. Instead I could just focus on EU for the next 3 weeks and hopefully pass it. I'v been working full time but off now til exams. Do you think it would look really bad in applications for traineeships that I didn't focus on more to get them all done as quickly as possible?

There's 10 full days between tort and EU which is definitely sufficient for EU, especially as you have work done for it already.

Re tort, I think that's definitely doable. I'm still doing notes for trespass to land, nuisance and Rylands and I have company law the day after tort (I only know 1 topic and zero notes done!)

Giving it a crack anyway - what's the worst thing that can happen? Miss out and have to do it again. No big deal. The best thing that can happen? One less exam to tackle in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

user115 wrote:
    Wanted to get people's thoughts on something....I signed up to do EU and Tort this sitting, I got my magic 3 last October, but I'm very behind. I have about three quarters of EU done from study over Christmas and then I had alot going on over the last while so I basically have about 3 chapters done in Tort so far, should I just not bother sitting Tort just do EU? I don't know how I would get all notes done for tort over the next week and then learn it all off in just a day and then sit and do a three hour exam...and then catch up on EU do about 3 more topics for EU and prep for exam. I feel like I would put myself under unreal pressure and may not even pass tort and might also fail EU if I don't focus enough on it. Instead I could just focus on EU for the next 3 weeks and hopefully pass it. I'v been working full time but off now til exams. Do you think it would look really bad in applications for traineeships that I didn't focus on more to get them all done as quickly as possible?

Re tort, I think that's definitely doable. I'm still doing notes for trespass to land, nuisance and Rylands and I have company law the day after tort (I only know 1 topic and zero notes done!)

There's 10 full days between tort and EU which is definitely sufficient for EU, especially as you have work done for it already.

Giving it a crack anyway - what's the worst thing that can happen? Miss out and have to do it again. No big deal. The best thing that can happen? One less exam to tackle in October.

user115 wrote:

I agree with above poster, if u have the motivation it is definitely doable. Highlight the hell out of the manual and keep notes a min. ie dont waste ti.e writing pages n pages of notes. learn the topics. Forget eu loads of time after.
    you might lose some hair lol but if you don't fancy that and aren't in a mad rush to get the subjects than keep ur hair n wait till next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

I'd be the exact same with those exact cases. I suppose could come up as part of a problem question.

Also just wondering for SOP - Legislature - how exactly did Bedervev impact McGowan? I have the facts learnt off, but to me it seems quite similar. Probably very obvious and I'm just missing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

I'd be the exact same with those exact cases. I suppose could come up as part of a problem question.

Also just wondering for SOP - Legislature - how exactly did Bedervev impact McGowan? I have the facts learnt off, but to me it seems quite similar. Probably very obvious and I'm just missing it!

They couldn't expect you to have a whole lot more to be fair.

I haven't looked at Constitutional in 2 weeks now but I'm going back to it tomorrow. I struggled to see the difference also, was there a question where they referenced the differences between their treatment or am I getting mixed up with something else?

After looking at my notes, wow, I only had as far as the COA and not the SC decision for Bederev so thank you for pointing me back towards this!

I know McGowan was easy to understand insofar as they were making the employment agreements and they were then becoming binding laws which others were to be held to with a rubber stamp in effect from the Labour Court. You could end up with unidentified individuals making laws which could have possibly criminal ramifications without the Oireachtas having any input.

Bederev this article is informative https://scoirl.wordpress.com/2016/06/23/bederev-v-ireland-misuse-of-drugs-act-1977-is-constitutional-no-precedents-were-harmed/

It sounds to me like their logic was a bit of a stretch (but who am I to question SC judges?) They essentially said the act had enough principles and policies in that any new additions had to be dangerous to human health and possible sources of addiction and that the Oir had the power to scrutinise it with a mechanism to do so built into the Act.

I suppose a huge difference is that the Oir could scrutinise the law whereas with the Labour agreements they were a sealed deal straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Thanks so much for this! Yes, Autumn 2017 Q4 they asked you to compare and contrast both cases approaches to Art 15.2.1 - talk about a stinker of a question!

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for this! Yes, Autumn 2017 Q4 they asked you to compare and contrast both cases approaches to Art 15.2.1 - talk about a stinker of a question!

No worries at all and yea, it's an awful question. There are so much less nasty ways they could ask you to bring in your knowledge of 15.2.1 and delegated legislation and all that jazz.

Personally I think there's nothing nastier than an examiner who tries to catch you out. I'm all for giving students questions that allows them to show off their eye for detail or a particular subtle issue but actively trying to throw them off is unfair in the context of exams, especially exams like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kallyann1

For tort im thinking:

Negligence [duty of care, general neg and causation and damages], ch 3 with economic loss, neg misstatement and nervous shock and then vic lib, defamation, occ lib, trespass to person, trespass to land, limitation periods, damages, defective products and professional negligence!

Do people think this is enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Kallyann1 wrote: »
    For tort im thinking:

Negligence [duty of care, general neg and causation and damages], ch 3 with economic loss, neg misstatement and nervous shock and then vic lib, defamation, occ lib, trespass to person, trespass to land, limitation periods, damages, defective products and professional negligence!

That's almost the same as me but I'm not doing Limitation Periods/Damages and I am doing Passing Off/Liability for Animals.

Oh and Nuisance/Rylands but you might be including that in trespass to land

Kallyann1 wrote: »
    For tort im thinking:

That's almost the same as me but I'm not doing Limitation Periods/Damages and I am doing Passing Off/Liability for Animals.

Oh and Nuisance/Rylands but you might be including that in trespass to land

With tort it's nearly better just to say what you're not doing :(

I think ye should both be fine

I'm being OTT cautious and I'm (hopefully) doing:

-Negligence
    -Causation & Remoteness
    -Pure Economic Loss
    -Nervous Shock
    -Neg Misstatement
    -Professional Negligence
    -Public Authorities (bit of an out there one)
    -Product liability
    -Employer's Liability (Wasn't worth all the effort it took as it's a lot of cases for an unlikely topic.
    -Vicarious Liability
    -Trespass to Persons
    -Trespass to Land
    -Nuisance
    -Rylands
    -Occupiers Liability
    -Passing Off
    -Defamation
    -Damages

Leaving out Res Ipsa, Limitation Periods, Contrib and Concurrent Wrongdoers, Trespass to Chattels , Fatal Injuries and I don't think I'll have time for animals and fire :/ Shocked if I'm caught, I'm trying to be silly prepared for tort just as it scares me so much.

With tort it's nearly better just to say what you're not doing :(

I think ye should both be fine

I'm being OTT cautious and I'm (hopefully) doing:

-Negligence
    -Causation & Remoteness
    -Pure Economic Loss
    -Nervous Shock
    -Neg Misstatement
    -Professional Negligence
    -Public Authorities (bit of an out there one)
    -Product liability
    -Employer's Liability (Wasn't worth all the effort it took as it's a lot of cases for an unlikely topic.
    -Vicarious Liability
    -Trespass to Persons
    -Trespass to Land
    -Nuisance
    -Rylands
    -Occupiers Liability
    -Passing Off
    -Defamation
    -Damages

Leaving out Res Ipsa, Limitation Periods, Contrib and Concurrent Wrongdoers, Trespass to Chattels , Fatal Injuries and I don't think I'll have time for animals and fire :/ Shocked if I'm caught, I'm trying to be silly prepared for tort just as it scares me so much.

Haha I was just about to reply with what I'm not doing:
    1 defamation
    2 occupiers liability
    3 public auth/state liability
    4 employers liability
    5 limitation periods
    6 trespass to goods

Should probably do a little bit for 2-4 though?

I just used nutshells for animal/fire liability to get by in a PQ, maybe read it the morning of the exam to get by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

So for tort I'm not doing:
    -Animals/Fire
    -Fatal Injuries
    -Public/state authority
    -contrib and concurrent wrongdoers
    -economic torts save passing off
    -PEL (though looking at all of yous I might reconsider...)

I hope I won't get caught on the day, it would be dramatic. Don't think I could handle that aha :X.

Haha I was just about to reply with what I'm not doing:
    1 defamation
    2 occupiers liability
    3 public auth/state liability
    4 employers liability
    5 limitation periods
    6 trespass to goods

Should probably do a little bit for 2-4 though?

I just used nutshells for animal/fire liability to get by in a PQ, maybe read it the morning of the exam to get by.
    lawless11 wrote: »
    So for tort I'm not doing:
    -Animals/Fire
    -Fatal Injuries
    -Public/state authority
    -contrib and concurrent wrongdoers
    -economic torts save passing off
    -PEL (though looking at all of yous I might reconsider...)

I hope I won't get caught on the day, it would be dramatic. Don't think I could handle that aha :X.

Of 2-4 Occupiers liability is nice and self contained and 15 or so easy cases, Public authority is not the worst and it ain't that difficult conceptually. I got really bogged down on employers and ended up with 30+ cases so if you were gonna go in order of effort to reward that's just my 2 cents!

If you did Negligent Misstatement do PEL, you can almost entirely overlap the cases. I have about 10 that crossover so that's a nice way of covering yourself!

I'm not doing fatal injuries or concurrent wrongdoers actually :)

Apologies in advance....

The past questions about people walking through someone's garden and the owner then assaulting etc? Is the people walking a nuisance/trespass? Or does occ liability come into play?

Eg october 17 q1
    october 18 q3

Did a little digging, going off the last 18 sittings if you covered:

Land Torts
    DOC/SOC/Causation
    Vicarious
    Occupiers
    Trespass to Person
    Defamation
    Defective Products
    Damages
    PEL/NM
    Nervous Shock
    Passing Off
    Liability for Animals

You would have at least 5 Q's every year except for March 14 which is a freak of a year, a truly horrible paper! Take from that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

What are people thinking for Constitutional? There is so much content to cover it seems a lottery as to what actually gets asked. Has anyone heard of colleges predictions or anything?

I've covered so far:

The institutions of state (president etc, legislature, and courts)
    Principles of JR
    Separation of Powers
    Due course of law
    Personal rights
    Property rights
    Freedom of expression, assembly, and association
    Family and Education

Is this enough? First time sitting any

Did a little digging, going off the last 18 sittings if you covered:

Land Torts
    DOC/SOC/Causation
    Vicarious
    Occupiers
    Trespass to Person
    Defamation
    Defective Products
    Damages
    PEL/NM
    Nervous Shock
    Passing Off
    Liability for Animals

You would have at least 5 Q's every year except for March 14 which is a freak of a year, a truly horrible paper! Take from that what you will.

That year was mad, he had 4 or 5 questions based on stuff that's (including that) come up about 5 or less times in 18 sittings, I'd say there was a shocking rate of failure and he copped on thereafter (I hope anyway)

I'm not doing fatal injuries or concurrent wrongdoers actually :)

Apologies in advance....

The past questions about people walking through someone's garden and the owner then assaulting etc? Is the people walking a nuisance/trespass? Or does occ liability come into play?

Eg october 17 q1
    october 18 q3

It's actually a question I'd like to come up again as it's not too nasty but I don't think it will. The way I'd go at it would be based on what he asks in the actual question because if he asks "what torts will (Landowner) be liable for?" then you need to focus on the intentional torts because from reading his reports he's a stickler for giving too much info. Just to beware.

If it said "discuss all torts affecting the parties" I'm inclined to believe that you'd go with trespass to land. Nuisance is ongoing usually and can be intentional / reckless, trespass is usually a single event and intentional so that fits the bill with the person taking the shortcut.

I think with occupier's liablity he's more inclined to have a hazard on the land but I could be wrong.

I remember studying for my Tort exam in 1st year and I just didn't bother covering Medical Negligence because I didn't want to learn off the Dunne principles!

Oh how simple it all was back then :D

I remember studying for my Tort exam in 1st year and I just didn't bother covering Medical Negligence because I didn't want to learn off the Dunne principles!

Oh how simple it all was back then :D

I remember this time last year being irked about having to learn 4 topics for the final equity exam because the lecturer wasn't predictable, all the while the class were shocked that they'd schedule 2 exams in 2 days. The shock to the system is real :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jamesob123

Was Negligent Misstatement tipped to come up this time round? I noted quite a few people on the thread intend to study it and it doesn't seem to appear regularly on my grid.

Oh and are the Night Before Notes from City Colleges out yet? Their website is a total disaster to navigate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

jamesob123 wrote: »
    Was Negligent Misstatement tipped to come up this time round? I noted quite a few people on the thread intend to study it and it doesn't seem to appear regularly on my grid.

Oh and are the Night Before Notes from City Colleges out yet? Their website is a total disaster to navigate!

the notes are out but they aren't loading, few people have had the same issues

Constitution

Leaving out:
    Religion
    Abortion
    Due course (am I mad)?
    Under personal rights am i mad to leave out elements of fair hearing plus access to courts/ right to litigate plus statute
    Anyone feel there is any if the above crucial for this sitting?
    Any advice be appreciated?

also leave out inviolabilty of a dwelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Does freedom of expression have to be studied in conjunction with assembly and association? I'm covering expression but leaving out the other 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Guys for the courts in Criminal, what principles stem from the Wayne Dundun/John Dundon cases pretty please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mountaingoat97

Does anyone know if we can bring the Companies Act 2014 (2017 Version) into the Company exam? On the Permitted Legislation page it says Bloomsbury Companies act 2014 (Newest Version). I'm aware there is a new 2018 Version although i've been told my 2017 should be accepted no problem by others and I really don't fancy forking out 120 quid for a new act that it virtually identical. TIA

jamesob123 wrote: »

I just noticed from Grids that he tends to ask a couple of the less asked each year and it's awhile since it's up, it also has a lovely overlap with PEL so I did them based on that.

Constitution

Leaving out:
    Religion
    Abortion
    Due course (am I mad)?
    Under personal rights am i mad to leave out elements of fair hearing plus access to courts/ right to litigate plus statute
    Anyone feel there is any if the above crucial for this sitting?
    Any advice be appreciated?

also leave out inviolabilty of a dwelling?
    holliek wrote: »
    Does freedom of expression have to be studied in conjunction with assembly and association? I'm covering expression but leaving out the other 2.

See Constitutional rots me because there's so much to do and we only have 7 questions working on the assumption the case note is challenging.

Due course is a very big topic and it does come up, I'm doing it because it seems so big, but at the same time it doesn't come up as often as it is large if you get me? So if you're under pressure for time then it might not be worth the returns, that being said maybe look at 5 cases to do with Uncon obtained evidence as they're easy to chart and you could get lucky. Rather than doing all 40 cases that span from the right to see a solicitor to preserving evidence etc.

Abortion I'm ditching. It's a big topic and it's moot.

My extent of religion is kinda melded into the family cases and a couple personal rights. Good few cases on Jehova's Witnesses refusing blood and CW & JW with the heel prick test and Temple Street v C & D where they were allowed give the baby the blood. If it came up I could see it being part of a problem mixed with family maybe? By no means core or crucial.

Fair hearing I've not done yet and I don't want to, but it came up twice recently and apparently Frank Clarke is all about it so it could be a shout again :/ What statute is involved in the right to litigate forgive me ignorance :I

If you're leaving out inviolability of the dwelling that's only gonna come into a question relating to due course or perhaps property rights so it's not massive.

I really don't want to have to do assembly and association. FoE is more interesting and much more fleshed out. He asked a question a couple years ago where he essentially said to compare the courts treatment. That being said something like 60% of the time there's a freedom of expression question.

Guys for the courts in Criminal, what principles stem from the Wayne Dundun/John Dundon cases pretty please?

I'm not sure if Wayne was tried in the SCC, I don't think he was. But I do know the DPP appealed to the CoA to try and get the sentence raised but did not succeed.

John was in the SCC.

See Constitutional rots me because there's so much to do and we only have 7 questions working on the assumption the case note is challenging.

Due course is a very big topic and it does come up, I'm doing it because it seems so big, but at the same time it doesn't come up as often as it is large if you get me? So if you're under pressure for time then it might not be worth the returns, that being said maybe look at 5 cases to do with Uncon obtained evidence as they're easy to chart and you could get lucky. Rather than doing all 40 cases that span from the right to see a solicitor to preserving evidence etc.

Abortion I'm ditching. It's a big topic and it's moot.

My extent of religion is kinda melded into the family cases and a couple personal rights. Good few cases on Jehova's Witnesses refusing blood and CW & JW with the heel prick test and Temple Street v C & D where they were allowed give the baby the blood. If it came up I could see it being part of a problem mixed with family maybe? By no means core or crucial.

Fair hearing I've not done yet and I don't want to, but it came up twice recently and apparently Frank Clarke is all about it so it could be a shout again :/ What statute is involved in the right to litigate forgive me ignorance :I

If you're leaving out inviolability of the dwelling that's only gonna come into a question relating to due course or perhaps property rights so it's not massive.

I really don't want to have to do assembly and association. FoE is more interesting and much more fleshed out. He asked a question a couple years ago where he essentially said to compare the courts treatment. That being said something like 60% of the time there's a freedom of expression question.

Thanks a mill, yeah re due i was thinking of scanning illegally obtained evidence, ughhhh re right to courts and litigation just cant face it and no time. So much to cover for all exams. Yeah decided to do all the freedoms. Freedom assembly and ass only 3 pages in my book.
    Defo covering family, leaving out abortion.
    Not sure re amending constitution is it due? Ive to wrap up const notes today to reopen to learn off from next Tuesday after tort n company for exam on Friday :/ So 2.5 days learning in total for it!

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill, yeah re due i was thinking of scanning illegally obtained evidence, ughhhh re right to courts and litigation just cant face it and no time. So much to cover for all exams. Yeah decided to do all the freedoms. Freedom assembly and ass only 3 pages in my book.
    Defo covering family, leaving out abortion.
    Not sure re amending constitution is it due? Ive to wrap up const notes today to reopen to learn off from next Tuesday after tort n company for exam on Friday :/ So 2.5 days learning in total for it!

If you've time it wouldn't be a bad idea. I might do the same so, probably only a couple cases for each? And it would help if it's part of a problem question.

Family is crucial (and a little boring in places)

They brought up a question relating to an issue with the voting in of something else last year, so they wanted you to spin the amending the constitution info for that. Nothing to say they wouldn't bring up a pure amendment question though! But you could argue that was it being tested last exam.

I'm re-opening Constitutional today after wrapping up tort. You have my sympathy and empathy. Gonna give 2 days to Con, 2 to criminal, 1 to property and then 2 to Tort before the exam. Then I'm 4 in 5 days so no gaps really :(

But oh well, that's what caffeine is for!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement