Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lori1980

Cant post link but go to johnoconnorsolicitors website, article in 2014, requirements for a valid will which discusses age of witnesses.age isnt relevent as long as they can view act of signing.not a great idea to ask so close to exam on boards googling and cross referencing is better in my opinion (no shade) best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Wonderstruck

lori1980 wrote: »
    Cant post link but go to johnoconnorsolicitors website, article in 2014, requirements for a valid will which discusses age of witnesses.age isnt relevent as long as they can view act of signing.not a great idea to ask so close to exam on boards googling and cross referencing is better in my opinion (no shade) best of luck!

http://www.johnoconnorsolicitors.ie/docs/default-source/eguides/a-guide-to-making-a-will-in-ireland.pdf

thanks, can't beat a simple language guide! Though these problem questions make me laugh, you don't have to be a legal whizz to stop and think: should someone who isn't an adult witness a serious legal document? >.<;

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

Quick question for contract .
    Would I be safe to leave out misrepresentation, duress, privity and parties to a contract.
    My head can't take anymore.
    I have all the rest well covered. Have an idea of the above but don't want to revise them
    Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Lumi77 wrote: »
    Quick question for contract .
    Would I be safe to leave out misrepresentation, duress, privity and parties to a contract.
    My head can't take anymore.
    I have all the rest well covered. Have an idea of the above but don't want to revise them
    Thank you.

If you genuinely have everything else covered then you'll have have enough.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    If you genuinely have everything else covered then you'll have have enough.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 joedubs

Any tips for contract? dont have an up to date exam-grid so literally anything would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

Criminal
    I know it is a straightforward paper however I only had one day to revise the whole topic so answers weren't backed up enough with case law but sketchy in parts I hear people saying it's marked easy enough I attempted five questions but fell short on naming a lot of cases / exact legislation got the sections right bit not all the sentences . Also are they strict on remembering this I have never read examiners reports any advise is appreciated. Thanks 

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Chuckler

Mileyt wrote: »
    Criminal
    I know it is a straightforward paper however I only had one day to revise the whole topic so answers weren't backed up enough with case law but sketchy in parts I hear people saying it's marked easy enough I attempted five questions but fell short on naming a lot of cases / exact legislation got the sections right bit not all the sentences . Also are they strict on remembering this I have never read examiners reports any advise is appreciated. Thanks 

I took up studying for these exams approx 2 weeks ago having passed my first 4 last October. Like you, I allowed Saturday and Yesterday to read over the Manual and go over past exam questions. I could answer all the questions on a common sense with only a handful of traditional cases in each question. I'm sure I mixed up the legislation also! MOD deletion. Pls do not discuss examiners here

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

I haven't handed in my legislation for property tomorrow.
    Are we able to hand it in on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ferry.Man

I haven't handed in my legislation for property tomorrow.
    Are we able to hand it in on the day?

Ya you can should get it back about half hour into the exam!

• Advertisement

joedubs wrote: »
    Any tips for contract? dont have an up to date exam-grid so literally anything would be appreciated!

I do but how do I give it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Becks63976

Could anybody tell me would i be ok to leave out the following for contract: capacity to contract
    Illegal contracts
    Misrepresentation
    Duress
    Formalities of a contract

Becks63976 wrote: »
    Could anybody tell me would i be ok to leave out the following for contract: capacity to contract
    Illegal contracts
    Misrepresentation
    Duress
    Formalities of a contract

I am leaving out capacity privity and duress

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭nmwcc

Hey all. Really afraid I didn't do enough for criminal today. Is it just me or did people find they write less for criminal? Did any one do question 7 ? Can I ask what the approach was?? At first I found it was criminal negligence manslaughter as the case as identical to DPP v Joel and then I touched on omissions (r v Stone and Dobinson) and causation and third party medical intervention (DPP v Dunne etc). I only remembered at the end of the question that DPP v Joel was quashed - this wasn;t in my manual as it was only 2016. It was quashed on for several reasons, one being the lack of resources one would have to deal with such a patient... I never mentioned this is in my answer at all. Am I likely to be marked down significantly???

My conclusion basically said in light of the decision in DPP v Joel there would be a charge of criminal neg manslaughter - i really hope he knows im talking about the first trial !!

Sorry another quick question.
    Are we allowed to tab the legislation?
    Like stick on sticky notes and right the section number on the tab?

Sorry another quick question.
    Are we allowed to tab the legislation?
    Like stick on sticky notes and right the section number on the tab?

You can tab underline and highlight but cant write anything on book or on the tabs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shellbm

Does anyone know the general pass rate for criminal ? worried after this morning

Can anyone advise which estoppel comes up in contract please

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

nmwcc wrote: »
    Hey all. Really afraid I didn't do enough for criminal today. Is it just me or did people find they write less for criminal? Did any one do question 7 ? Can I ask what the approach was?? At first I found it was criminal negligence manslaughter as the case as identical to DPP v Joel and then I touched on omissions (r v Stone and Dobinson) and causation and third party medical intervention (DPP v Dunne etc). I only remembered at the end of the question that DPP v Joel was quashed - this wasn;t in my manual as it was only 2016. It was quashed on for several reasons, one being the lack of resources one would have to deal with such a patient... I never mentioned this is in my answer at all. Am I likely to be marked down significantly???

My conclusion basically said in light of the decision in DPP v Joel there would be a charge of criminal neg manslaughter - i really hope he knows im talking about the first trial !!

I did that question. I said it was criminal negligence manslaughter and didnt mention dpp v joel at all. I discussed what was needed for criminallt negligent manslaughter and then I did omissions (r v gibbons and r v stone) and then I did medical intervention so you had more than me anyways! ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Becks63976

Lumi77 wrote:
    Can anyone advise which estoppel comes up in contract please

It seems like only promissory estoppel that has come up in past exam papers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Yoop

shellbm wrote: »
    Does anyone know the general pass rate for criminal ? worried after this morning

He always says there was a 'solid' pass rate so I assume it's fairly high and usually around the same rate. I've read a lot of the reports and I don't recall him giving a percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 monroe89

I couldn't seem to find one anywhere in the past reports I'm afraid, he just keeps mentioning the papers were solidly answered.
    I thought it went ok except as the day has been progressing and I'm realising I mixed up legislation references and forgot this, that, the other...it's all starting to pile up in my head. Aaaah! :(

Does anyone know what happened in the case of SD v MD for section 117 applications?
    I understand that one child had diabetes and the other was a schizophrenic?
    That's all the info I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Anna27

Has anybody any last minute tips for the succession Q's?? I'm hoping for a handy s117 question, and maybe construction of a will or formalities.... Nothing else prepared where succession is concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 5 yela

Quick contract question:

For misrep and mistake do we have to know the equitable remedies?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shellbm

For property tomorrow, dont forget to underline your cases with a different colour pen or highlight them, apparently the examiner REALLY likes this

For property tomorrow, dont forget to underline your cases with a different colour pen or highlight them, apparently the examiner REALLY likes this

She also mentions filling in what questions you have done on the front of the exam booklet a lot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Anyone covering donatia mortis causa for property? I don't think it has come up before, but I see intestacy got thrown up out of the blue before!

Co-Ownership:
    Does a right to a share of rent and income apply to only joint tenants or both joint tenants and tenants in common?

• Advertisement

Anyone covering donatia mortis causa for property?  I don't think it has come up before, but I see intestacy got thrown up out of the blue before!
    Intestacy would be fine if came up as could just copy the succession act. DMC tends to come up in equity a lot so i think what that happens they tend not to put it on other topics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement