Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

nimcdona wrote: »
    Anyone know the sentence for burglary? Cant seem to find it anywhere

14 years / fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

14 years and unlimited fine I have

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nimcdona

Thank you both!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Does anyone have notes on State Aid for EU they could swap with me? I have lots on everything else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lovestolisten

nimcdona wrote: »
    Anyone know the sentence for burglary? Cant seem to find it anywhere

Burglary 14 years but be careful with Aggrieved Burglary
    that’s if found with ANY weapon regardless of intention to use or not can result in Life

Check your Criminal Justice Act 2001 (Theft & Fraud) Sections 12 & 13

• Advertisement

One tip I can definitely share is look at the recommended reading lists. Some questions that seem to come from left field are generally pulled from one of the books recommended on the Law Society reading list.

Look at the internal / external examiners. What papers / books have they published? For example Quill for Tort is essential

SwD wrote: »
    Cuddy v Mays - the plaintiffs brother was deemed to satisfy the 'close relationship' test, furthering the Irish more relaxed approach in contrast to Alcock as per Kelly.

I took a dual perspective. I contended that her act was one which negligently inflicted psychiatric damage but there may also lie an action in trespass to the person for intentionally inflicting emotional distress as per Wilkinson. Looking forward to the examiners report.

I went down the same road also, touched on Tresspass , Intentional Psychological and also the proximity issues.
    Yes looking forward to seeing the outcome. I just felt when I looked at it that it screamed Intentional Psychological but I’m sure it can be approached from many directions.
    That’s the beauty of law !!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Anyone have notes on the Domestic violence act 2018 please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 laurar2019

For easements what do you need to know exactly ? like what have previous qs been on? im so confused with it :(

laurar2019 wrote: »
    For easements what do you need to know exactly ? like what have previous qs been on? im so confused with it :(

Learn the facts Ellenborough Park , Wong & Beaumont and what can amount to an easement. Light / Protection etc

Question popped up (can’t remember which sitting) regarding easement V profits a Prendre .
    None of the manuals referred to Profits but De londras had a short section in her Propery law 2007 edition.

This coupled with unusual questions popping up in other topics really gives me the impression that the examiners are sick of seeing the manuals regurgitated over and over to them.

They are trying too see what candidates have actually learned about the area of law instead of just memorising scrips of answers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Legal_Eagle_95

*EU*
    This is what I am planning to cover:

Institutions
    Member States Liability
    Judicial Review
    General Principles
    Impact on National Systems
    Citizenship
    Equality
    FMG - Art 30
    FMG - Art 110
    FMG - Art 34
    Competition Law - Art 101 and 102
    Sources of Law

If I have time might do private international law and state aid but is that enough? Anyone know if the examiner is sound or what the story is with the papers generally?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lawyersuffolk

Does anyone have an essay re registration of land for property or notes for what you would mention in essay?? Cannot get my head around it!! can swap for other notes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Few people were talking about classification of a crime the other day on here, for that question what headings would you use to answer that?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BemusedKettle

holliek wrote: »
    Few people were talking about classification of a crime the other day on here, for that question what headings would you use to answer that?

1. Treason, Felony, Misdemeanor

2. Serious Offences

3. Arrestable Defences

4. Minor Offences

5. Indictable & Summary Offences

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Are you in the same seat for each exam or do they move you around?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

They move you around a bit, but usually you stay in the same room. I have never changed mine anyway (even from the past sitting).

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

For specific and basic intent in intoxication, basic will apply to crimes you can do recklessly whereas specific you have to have actual intent right?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BemusedKettle

For specific and basic intent in intoxication, basic will apply to crimes you can do recklessly whereas specific you have to have actual intent right?

Yup, and because being inebriated is of itself reckless you can still form the mens rea for basic intent crimes while absolutely sh1tfaced, per R v Majewski.

Direct quote

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

Thanks, that's a good tip.
    laurar2019 wrote: »
    i mentioned 231 in the conclusion just to round it up... think he'll dock mark for that since its not in the q?
    One tip I can definitely share is look at the recommended reading lists. Some questions that seem to come from left field are generally pulled from one of the books recommended on the Law Society reading list.

Look at the internal / external examiners. What papers / books have they published? For example Quill for Tort is essential

Yup, and because being inebriated is of itself reckless you can still form the mens rea for basic intent crimes while absolutely sh1tfaced, per R v Majewski.

Direct quote

Shane would loooove that :D

I don't quite get how they found him guilty in R v Kingston when he was spiked actually, anyone any clarity on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

Property

Think people should look at the examiner's report if they have not done so already. The examiner reports are quite good and detailed for Property. He lists the issues, the statute and the relevant case law in each question. He emphasises highlighting case law in every report and seems to get frustrated where his reports aren't read. See for example from 2014:

Unfortunately, the overall standard at this sitting was disappointing. Comments made in
    previous reports don’t appear to have been taken on board. For example, referencing case
    law requires a discussion of the cases as opposed to merely mentioning the case names.
    Answers are for the most part very general and not very discursive of the main issues. On
    the positive side, a small number of candidates made the effort to refer to academic
    discussion and they were rewarded accordingly.
    I have requested that candidates ensure that they list the questions that they have
    answered on the answer book in the order that they have answered them to avoid
    confusion, particularly where questions are not numbered inside the book. Many
    candidates failed to do this. All exams should be conducted in biro and not pencil.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

I'm doing pretty much same as only also doing FMW. I noticed Prelim ref hasn't come up in the last 7 sittings so gona do that. Do you think FOE, FOS and capital could be due a run? FOS was just up there last sitting so might be q on capital or FOE

*EU*
    This is what I am planning to cover:

Institutions
    Member States Liability
    Judicial Review
    General Principles
    Impact on National Systems
    Citizenship
    Equality
    FMG - Art 30
    FMG - Art 110
    FMG - Art 34
    Competition Law - Art 101 and 102
    Sources of Law

If I have time might do private international law and state aid but is that enough? Anyone know if the examiner is sound or what the story is with the papers generally?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

I've been moved around lots before, you number is up on the board so it's easy enough to find just make sure your there in time in case you need to go find aother room

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Shane would loooove that :D

I don't quite get how they found him guilty in R v Kingston when he was spiked actually, anyone any clarity on that?

I have in my notes for Kingston even if involuntary if the prosecution can prove you still had the required Mens Rea you can be found guilty

I have in my notes for Kingston even if involuntary if the prosecution can prove you still had the required Mens Rea you can be found guilty

Thank you, I was just getting confused between that and R v Hardie where he took valium to calm down and boy did he do anything but !

On another note..... So. Much. Statute.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sbbyrne

Does anyone have the sample answers for the last 2 or 3 sittings in Constitutional?
    I have notes/older sample answers for other subjects (Contract, Company, Equity) that I am more than willing to swap for. I have the Exam Reports, but the examiner gives about two lines in the Constitutional report - it's of very little help. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ethan90

Does anyone have a grid for Constitutional?
    I've been using one from cities which half wrong ðŸ€

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Legal_Eagle_95

user115 wrote: »
    I'm doing pretty much same as only also doing FMW. I noticed Prelim ref hasn't come up in the last 7 sittings so gona do that. Do you think FOE, FOS and capital could be due a run? FOS was just up there last sitting so might be q on capital or FOE

Yeah might give prelim a read over, the FOE might be likely but I just made a strategic decision to not do that chapter as it is faaaar to big and doesn't appear frequently enough for me to have time for it

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lawlad101

Anyone got any ideas for the note question in Constitutional? M v Minister for Justice (2018) possibly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Does the EU examiner ever repeat cases in the case note question?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement