Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jaspoon12

If any kind sole has grids/notes for constitutional that wouldn't mind dropping into my DM, I would be much appreciated! Woke up this morning sick as dog, not sure how I'll fare tomorrow with little focus to study!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

It's rare but it would be a shame to not take the question that legitimately only has 5 cases expected to be in an answer for it!

Ok very good point, anyone able to shed some light on which cases to learn for freedom of assembly?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

holliek wrote: »
    Ok very good point, anyone able to shed some light on which cases to learn for freedom of assembly?

DM me your number and I’ll send you what I have

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Anyone got their EU script back and saw how casenote question is marked in EU?

The report asks for alot of detail, wondering what kind detail gets a 12 or so in casenote? Or any mark at all

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Joanneom

Can anyone give any indication as to what may be predicated for EU?

Considering focusing on:-
    Institutions
    FMOG
    FMOW
    Citizenship,
    Equality,
    Direct Effect
    MS Liability
    General Principles (maybe minus fundamental rights)
    Judicial Review

Just not sure if I'm covering enough as I've made the decision to leave out competition etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

user115 wrote: »
    Anyone got their EU script back and saw how casenote question is marked in EU?

The report asks for alot of detail, wondering what kind detail gets a 12 or so in casenote? Or any mark at all

Got 11 with one case note pulled out of my fine a** :D I mean i knew it was a case about freedom of movement of goods but I couldn't remember the precise facts so i applied the banana case to it, seems to have worked alright :p had about less than a page for each.

I'd actually have the same question about Constitutional - anyone saw his/her script for the case note?

That is so great to hear!! :)

In the 2 that you knew well did you go into how that case developed EU law and cases lead on from it/up to it? If I'm lucky and I know cases that come up I think i could do a brief background on facts, area of law, the decision and the effect of it on that area but not sure I would remember cases linked

For anyone who's interested I think preliminary ref and merger are really likely to come up, really hoping for 2 questions on FMG also. Direct effect seems to come up without fail every year. Hoping EU is going to be fairly good paper, hope there are no weird Brexit questions though
    lawless11 wrote: »
    Got 11 with one case note pulled out of my fine a** :D I mean i knew it was a case about freedom of movement of goods but I couldn't remember the precise facts so i applied the banana case to it, seems to have worked alright :p had about less than a page for each.

I'd actually have the same question about Constitutional - anyone saw his/her script for the case note?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

That is so great to hear!! :)

In the 2 that you knew well did you go into how that case developed EU law and cases lead on from it/up to it? If I'm lucky and I know cases that come up I think i could do a brief background on facts, area of law, the decision and the effect of it on that area but not sure I would remember cases linked

For one I had just another case name that was decided differently (For Humblot) at the end, the other no just quick few lines about the facts, the issue, the court's decision (opening if there was one). Really not *that* detailed. But probably if you put more you'll achieve better :).

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

Does anyone know the difference between Leontjava and Laurentieu cases. Both in relation to delegated legislation and the aliens Act, they seem almost identical to me :/

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Legal_Eagle_95

EU

What are people actually covering in the Sources of Law chapter? Feels a bit all over the place and not sure what is actually relevant and frequently appears in the exams? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Does anyone know the difference between Leontjava and Laurentieu cases. Both in relation to delegated legislation and the aliens Act, they seem almost identical to me :/

In my notes, I have written that Leontijava shows that they don't need to make a direct reference to the parent Act and just have that Laurentiu relates to the Aliens Act

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

Leontjava was in relation to the alien order implemented by the minister that allowed an immigration officer to decide the duration of an Aliens stay in the country... this was outside the delegated authority in the aliens act and the courts saw it as making law, the ministers act were ultra vires. The other article in the order article 15 compelled an immigrant to produce birth cert/registration and the courts viewed this as within the delegated authority of the aliens act, they referred to the “ and other matters “ in the Aliens Act itself and held that compelling an alien to show proof of identity was not so far removed from the other provisions in the act so it was all good. There was Principle and policies basically.

Then larentiu they struck down s5 of the aliens act which gave the minister the power to grant a deportation order as unconstitutional, they held there was literally no guiding principles or policies in the act at all it simply said the minister had the authority to deport so they viewed it as giving too much power to the government... and they noted it was before City view press case so the Oireachtas weren’t aware of the P and P test at that time.
    I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bbol

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has any advise/views on contract law? I’m sitting 5 and find it by far the hardest! 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Smiley283

Anyone have an up todate contract grid? (Or last October's exam paper/ report?)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

holliek wrote: »
    In my notes, I have written that Leontijava shows that they don't need to make a direct reference to the parent Act and just have that Laurentiu relates to the Aliens Act
    kasey0123 wrote: »
    Leontjava was in relation to the alien order implemented by the minister that allowed an immigration officer to decide the duration of an Aliens stay in the country... this was outside the delegated authority in the aliens act and the courts saw it as making law, the ministers act were ultra vires. The other article in the order article 15 compelled an immigrant to produce birth cert/registration and the courts viewed this as within the delegated authority of the aliens act, they referred to the “ and other matters “ in the Aliens Act itself and held that compelling an alien to show proof of identity was not so far removed from the other provisions in the act so it was all good. There was Principle and policies basically.

Then larentiu they struck down s5 of the aliens act which gave the minister the power to grant a deportation order as unconstitutional, they held there was literally no guiding principles or policies in the act at all it simply said the minister had the authority to deport so they viewed it as giving too much power to the government... and they noted it was before City view press case so the Oireachtas weren’t aware of the P and P test at that time.
    I think!

Thanks guys, clears it up a lot! Of course they'd be similar names as well as cases to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

What would people’s approach be for an essay/ problem Q on privacy? Most of my cases are around FOE, would this be normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

EU

Are double and qualified majority voting the same thing now, after 1 November 2014? In that the majority vote must be 65% of the population, and 55% of the Member States, (except where the Council votes on a proposal not coming from the Commission or the high representative and it needs 72% of Council members). Getting a bit confused by the terminology.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ethan90

Looking back at the constitutional past papers, can anyone tell me if there is anything unconstitutional about a retrospective tax or levy, except for it possibly being a disproportionate interference with property rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Off the top of yer heads - If the conclusion of a question is wrong, would the examiner take a heap of marks off the question?

Basically, for the Co-ownership question (about the friends that got a property together before one friend became fond of the other friends wife) I said that the end result I said it'd be a Joint tenancy due to the commercial situation.

Realise now that it's literally the opposite conclusion

I think double came into effect after November 2014 and means that a proposal must be approved via QMV by 65% population and 55% MS, this enhances the votes democratic legitimately as it has been approved by maj of population i.e 65% with a turn out of 55% of MS.

They are the same thing its just that I think old QMV didn't have the 2 hurdles and now the 2 apply which make it more democratic and that is why they renamed it double QMV

EU

Are double and qualified majority voting the same thing now, after 1 November 2014? In that the majority vote must be 65% of the population, and 55% of the Member States, (except where the Council votes on a proposal not coming from the Commission or the high representative and it needs 72% of Council members). Getting a bit confused by the terminology.

• Advertisement

Does this make sense to people who have covered preliminary ref in EU

A court of final instance can be the High Court only if the HC decides not to grant leave to appeal and that decision is not subject to review by any national court i.e. the Supreme Court. Otherwise decisions of HC are not ordinarily considered as decisions of court of final instance

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

Does anyone have more cases on cabinet confidentiality.. all I have is Murphy v Dublin Corp, Ambiorix Ltd v Min for Environment and Ag v Hamilton.. could you bring privilege into this as well ? Obviously couldn’t write an answer with 3 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Fe1hayes

I think double came into effect after November 2014 and means that a proposal must be approved via QMV by 65% population and 55% MS, this enhances the votes democratic legitimately as it has been approved by maj of population i.e 65% with a turn out of 55% of MS.

They are the same thing its just that I think old QMV didn't have the 2 hurdles and now the 2 apply which make it more democratic and that is why they renamed it double QMV

I think it's also more democratic because if 4 ms reject they can block it where as before they couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

I'm looking for someone who has undertaken the Griffith Prep Course this term to drop me a DM for discussion. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

What are the best topics for EU? It’s absolutely huge so dreading it

Also my blackstone treaties are 2016 - 2017.. is this ok? Would there be a big difference in newer versions?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 laurar2019

property finding q did you have to explain below and above the land?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

laurar2019 wrote: »
    property finding q did you have to explain below and above the land?

I thought given the circumstances it was uncovered it was worth mentioning both. Further, by virtue of it being an 'antique watch' it was worth mentioning the doctrine of treasure trove and Webb v Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sapphire309

Sineaddh wrote: »
    What are the best topics for EU? It’s absolutely huge so dreading it

Also my blackstone treaties are 2016 - 2017.. is this ok? Would there be a big difference in newer versions?

My friend used the 2014 version last sitting and was fine with it.

I'm planning on covering:

Sources (i.e. regulations, directives and decisions), Gen Principles, Institutions, Judicial Review, Direct Effect, Supremacy of EU Law, State Liability, FMG, Workers, Establishment, Citizenship, Equality. Have seen a few people recommend covering Preliminary Reference so will hopefully cover it too.

Had planned to cover Competition Law but it's too big and I don't have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nimcdona

Any topics in particular to focus on for equity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 laurar2019

what can you leave out for contract

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement