Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

DoomDaDa wrote: »
    3rd time sitting these exams, with the hopes of getting the magic three.....another failed attempt :'(

I'm at a loss now...but I'm going to try and give 5 a go in October. Am I crazy to continue down this rabbit hole that I can't seem to escape?

Maybe I'm approaching study wrong....any advice would be much appreciated

Send me your email in direct message and I can try to pass on what people said to me and what I’ve tried to do to make sense of these bizzare exams! I managed to pass my first 4 with a few over 70% and haven’t studied law in college so hopefully what I’m doing is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Send me your email in direct message and I can try to pass on what people said to me and what I’ve tried to do to make sense of these bizzare exams! I managed to pass my first 4 with a few over 70% and haven’t studied law in college so hopefully what I’m doing is right!

I’ve also sent mine, hope that’s ok!

Also thanks to all for the opinions, I think I’ll get started early and possibly do 5 or maybe 6

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

3rd time sitting these exams, with the hopes of getting the magic three.....another failed attempt :'(

I'm at a loss now...but I'm going to try and give 5 a go in October. Am I crazy to continue down this rabbit hole that I can't seem to escape?

In the same boat. Started again yesterday. Going to go for 5 or 6. I have a pretty good knowledge of the 2 I passed and the 1 I failed. Doing Constitutional at the moment. Moving onto Criminal and fingers crossed enough time for Contract and to revise the other 3 and go over them all.

Tough pill to swallow, cancelling plans etc. Never had any issue with doing well in exams before this. Anyway, just go again really, work hard early as the chance to cram late in the day will be more problematic. I’m going with the mentality of all in now.

Re specific exam advice, think I’ll wait until I pass at least 3 until I can give anything there.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Failed 3 of my 4 with 41,42, and 43. Was genuinely gobsmacked as I expected to pass at least three, really thought I had done well. I’ve applied to view them but generally speaking is there any hope with rechecks and those marks?

Ask to request a copy of scripts under data access request free of charge then if you see that scores added up incorrectly request rectification of those scores. None of this should cost as its in line with your rights under GDPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

I also think a recheck is a good advice if you feel you did better than the final grade suggests. I was brought up from 43 to 50 in Company. I also don't believe that it was just a calculation error in the marks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Daly29 wrote: »
    In the same boat. Started again yesterday. Going to go for 5 or 6. I have a pretty good knowledge of the 2 I passed and the 1 I failed. Doing Constitutional at the moment. Moving onto Criminal and fingers crossed enough time for Contract and to revise the other 3 and go over them all.

Tough pill to swallow, cancelling plans etc. Never had any issue with doing well in exams before this. Anyway, just go again really, work hard early as the chance to cram late in the day will be more problematic. I’m going with the mentality of all in now.

Re specific exam advice, think I’ll wait until I pass at least 3 until I can give anything there.

In the same boat. Going for 5 in oct. think 6 would be to much given exams are going to be back to back which means not much room for cramming.

Summer plans are cancelled for me.
    Will be worth it in the end , hopefully.

If 6 exams are doable with a lot of ground covered in 4/6 let me know.
    I don’t want it to backfire. It’s bad enough having to start into the study this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

I got my magic 3 this time, after trying 3 times. Don't lose hope if it is something you really want to do. I had lost hope and I actually couldn't believe when I opened the results, like the % went blurry for me. I did study every evening after work starting from January, and only got a week off before the exams. I sat Property, Criminal, Constitutional and Contract. However, I cant say that I was confident I passed them this time, as failing them twice I just lost confidence in myself. But when I opened that letter and seen I got them, you get such a boost of confidence and hope that I was almost prepared to open the books and start studying for the next ones.

Didn't get Contract this time which was a shock to me, as I did know it really well and it is the only one I always passed on 2 previous sittings.

I did at least 2 hours of study almost everyday after work, and at weekends too. My study involved reading a chapter on the book/manual, then reading a nutshell. Rewriting main points and major cases on the topic. The next day I would read over the notes I made and then I did at least one question from the past exam papers on that topic without looking at the book/notes. 2 weeks before the exam for the 4 subjects - I had a poly-pocket for each topic with my consolidated notes on the chapter, cases, and sample answer / past exam question. So 2 weeks before the exam when I had these done, this is the only thing I looked at. Kept reading the notes, learning off cases and re-reading the sample answers. I didn't look at manuals, books, articles at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

I passed Property, Constitutional and Criminal.

Going to sit 5 in October as I feel I would be unsafe dividing them up into 2 sittings - October and March.

Anyone has any tips for Tort and EU & the rest? Grids? - anything at all. Haven't looked at these since college.

vid36 wrote: »
    I also think a recheck is a good advice if you feel you did better than the final grade suggests. I was brought up from 43 to 50 in Company. I also don't believe that it was just a calculation error in the marks.

I've seen a few people on this saying they got put up, a lot more saying no change. I find it hard to believe that all the people who were brought up was down to totting up wrong, I mean that is a 100/1 shot surely. Wouldn't be getting my hopes up but I'd imagine they glance over it at worst and see if it merits any change.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Daly29 wrote: »
    I've seen a few people on this saying they got put up, a lot more saying no change. I find it hard to believe that all the people who were brought up was down to totting up wrong, I mean that is a 100/1 shot surely. Wouldn't be getting my hopes up but I'd imagine they glance over it at worst and see if it merits any change.

Both my rechecks kept the grade static. No change.
    It is NOT a regrade. It only checks it was marked/ added correctly.
    Beggars belief they charge 115 for this.
    That said, they now want over 800 now to APPLY for the PPC1.
    TO APPLY !!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Did anyone who put in to view a script get any confirmation of any kind?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Magic3pg

Seeing a few posts here telling people to keep their money when it comes to the rechecks. Just wanted to give a bit of hope. Rechecked 3 exams from the October sitting, Constitutional (47%), contract (47%) and equity (40%). Was brought up to a pass (50%) in both constitutional and contract, meaning I only had equity to do last March, and just passed it there. Fe1s are completely done and dusted now and don't know where I'd be if I hadn't taken the gamble and gone for the rechecks. Best of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Did anyone who put in to view a script get any confirmation of any kind?

I didn't hear anything back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 b.anna

I've passed the FE1s (after much heartache) which is quite ironic I'm going to Kings Inns now instead. Anyways, I rechecked on 2 occasions on my FE1 Odyssey and regretted wasting 115 a pop. I'm not saying that to discourage you though, I'm saying it to be careful giving them ANOTHER 345 euro!!
    The recheck isn't a re-grading. It's a calculator task which they feel they can fleece people for. Out if interest what exams were they?

Hi I think it's a re-grade because I actually went from 40s to 30s on 2 occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

Equity Recheck

Has anyone ever been brought up in a recheck in equity? Or heard of it even?

scooby321 wrote: »
    Equity Recheck

Has anyone ever been brought up in a recheck in equity? Or heard of it even?

Do you want a brutally true answer?
    I suppose I'll give you one.
    I passed all my other exams first go.
    Failed Equity 3 times (41, 43, 46)
    Rechecked twice and they stayed the same.
    That exam broke my spirit.
    Passed it forth go with a 51.

I can't tell you to recheck or don't. Write the exam off and if you've 115 going spare then spin the wheel I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Rebelette288

Yohnathan wrote: »
    Hey guys, just a quick note to say thanks to everyone for help throughout the FE1s. I just passed Constitutional to get my eight exam and can say without doubt that this forum was a massive help to me. I couldn't bare to open the results until just now.

When I was in the Red Cow coming out of Constitutional in March, I bumped into a few people who asked me how I got on. I told them it was my last and that it had went well. They looked both impressed and disheartened. They then asked how I had managed to get through the first 7 as they were still stuck on the magic 3 after 3 attempts. They said that they were going to give up.

I think it is important to tell people that I had passed 2/3 in three attempts at the magic three. I was so close to giving up so many times (I couldn't handle all the questions from extended family, friends, colleagues etc but eventually decided, screw them. I had my own goal and I would give it one or if needed even two more attempts.) I then managed to get 3/4 on my fourth attempt. After getting the magic three, I managed to fly through the exams I sat.

What I am getting at here is that these exams took me around 3 years (just one year less than my degree and masters!) but once you get over the magic three, it becomes so much easier mentally to get through the exams. There is much less pressure. You learn from previous exams.

Some people fly them and some people like me don't but it is so satisfying to get through them especially when you have a big struggle with them at the start. Don't give up and don't be put off by people who get them in 2 sittings.

Best of luck all and by the way, rechecks are worth it!

Firstly just want to say well done to you for passing all your FE1s and thank you for your encouraging words!

I got 2 in October but because I missed out on the magic 3 I went again in March and I am delighted to say I got the magic 3 in March so I now have Constitutional, Property and Equity in the bag! The relief was something else on Friday morning!And it is so encouraging to hear that once you get the 3 in the bag it becomes much easier mentally!I didn't get Tort but I am going to take a look at my script on Sunday and if I feel I should get it rechecked I will. Therefore depending on that will take 2-3 in October.

To those who have their magic 3 like myself well done and to those who missed out all I can say is don't beat yourself up. I have been there and I know what it's like. I studied my arse off for October and only got 2- there is no rhyme or reason to these exams and when you have studied law before and gotten 1HS/2H1s believe me it's so frustrating but if this is what you want to do KEEP GOING YOU WILL GET THERE EVENTUALLY!I am aware that I have another 5 exams to pass but I will not give up it is my dream to be a solicitor and I would encourage you all to keep going!

.....I will not give up it is my dream to be a solicitor and I would encourage you all to keep going!

Out of interest- what made it your dream?
    Have you worked in-practice much?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Rebelette288

Yes I have a number of years practical work experience and the reality is different from studying law/FE1s but would have exposure to a number of areas and simply put I love the work and it is what I want to do

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

Might I ask what made you want to change to the Kings Inn?

I too have plenty of experience in practice (both in a top 10 firm and in a large multinational) and absolutely love what I am doing and thus it is my dream too.

I have had friends who hated the idea of being a solicitor when they got into practice, but what it turned out to be was that they actually really didn't like the work they were doing, the firm they were in or the partner they were working for.

I only ask you as it could be the case, like it was for my friends that a simple move to another firm might be enough to confirm your passion to continue down the solicitor route. Surely after doing the FE-1s, that makes sense before going back and starting again on the Kings Inn route? I mean, realistically you have thought this through, but still, I will ask the question!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

Do you want a brutally true answer?
    I suppose I'll give you one.
    I passed all my other exams first go.
    Failed Equity 3 times (41, 43, 46)
    Rechecked twice and they stayed the same.
    That exam broke my spirit.
    Passed it forth go with a 51.

I can't tell you to recheck or don't. Write the exam off and if you've 115 going spare then spin the wheel I say.

I really appreciate this. I just failed Equity for the 3rd time also. But at 42 it would be a stretch and I had it checked once also before with no change. Out of curiosity, what did you do different the 4th time? I studied the whole course, but blanked on case names which I know isn't the end of the world, and I messed up the 5th question as I changed my mind part-way through to do a different 5th question and ran out of time - rookie mistake but I blanked towards the end, but I still thought I had more of a chance than 42. I won't get it rechecked, I just don't know how I'll face reading about injunctions all over again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

I really appreciate this. I just failed Equity for the 3rd time also. But at 42 it would be a stretch and I had it checked once also before with no change. Out of curiosity, what did you do different the 4th time? I studied the whole course, but blanked on case names which I know isn't the end of the world, and I messed up the 5th question as I changed my mind part-way through to do a different 5th question and ran out of time - rookie mistake but I blanked towards the end, but I still thought I had more of a chance than 42. I won't get it rechecked, I just don't know how I'll face reading about injunctions all over again :(

Something that helped me when i was doing them was basically writing out a full outline of all the questions i was going to do with a list of relevant cases and legislation, this meant that I could assess which questions i could do and which order. I always did my favourite question last and my second favourite first as i felt that starting on a question I knew gave me confidence and saving your best til last means that it is usually the question you can write fastest

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Did anyone who applied to review their script hear anything back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Did anyone who applied to review their script hear anything back?

I got an email confirming on Wednesday, if you haven’t heard anything you should probably ring them.

I actually don't know what I done different that worked. I prob was so expert that this stage that I wrote enough.
    I found Equity seems to trip a lot of people up.
    I wrote as much as I could incl. waffle in the final one. Literally write as much as you can I believe is the key for this examiner. I could be wrong.
    It is soul destroying to open QUIA TIMET INJUNCTIONS ..... AGAIN!!!!!

Yohnathan wrote: »
    Might I ask what made you want to change to the Kings Inn?

I too have plenty of experience in practice (both in a top 10 firm and in a large multinational) and absolutely love what I am doing and thus it is my dream too.

I have had friends who hated the idea of being a solicitor when they got into practice, but what it turned out to be was that they actually really didn't like the work they were doing, the firm they were in or the partner they were working for.

I only ask you as it could be the case, like it was for my friends that a simple move to another firm might be enough to confirm your passion to continue down the solicitor route. Surely after doing the FE-1s, that makes sense before going back and starting again on the Kings Inn route? I mean, realistically you have thought this through, but still, I will ask the question!

Yeah I hear ya. I've worked in 4 firms now over the years and now realise nothing really excited me. It's ok. It's a good job. A lot of paper pushing!!!
    Kings Inns is more of a challenge.
    Maybe I relish the idea of that.
    Maybe I'll be sorry.
    You can convert to being a solicitor after 3 yrs practising as a barrister though.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

Yeah I hear ya. I've worked in 4 firms now over the years and now realise nothing really excited me. It's ok. It's a good job. A lot of paper pushing!!!
    Kings Inns is more of a challenge.
    Maybe I relish the idea of that.
    Maybe I'll be sorry.
    You can convert to being a solicitor after 3 yrs practising as a barrister though.

I get ya! I am lucky enough where I work that I deal with our US, EU lawyers quite a lot, travel around Europe etc and have managed to gain trust to lead a number of things myself. In-house is more enjoyable than practice from my experience (I enjoyed being in practice but it was a little paper pushing for my liking).
    In my last job, I worked with around 4 solicitors who had converted from being Barristers due to the hours being so tough, travelling on the Circuit etc. I think they had a couple of day conversion course which was very handy from what I heard.
    In my first internship I came across a Barrister who had worked in the firm I was in as a solicitor and then transferred across. Luckily it works both ways. Great experience to have seen both sides aswel.

Its quite annoying how our system works. I have been offered jobs abroad and had been asked in interviews why I wasn't going for their Legal Counsel position instead of legal specialist or paralegal roles (as I had a masters in International Law and that is what most in house lawyers have across mainland Europe). Others offered to train me in a different country where it would be faster. I still won't take any positions until I qualify as then if I move, I will always have the option to come home and practice here.

Best of luck with whatever path you choose. I want off on a bit of a rant there, just from thinking about the FE-s!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lovestolisten

I failed Equity and just viewed script, I had internal and external examiner mark it.
    Both gave me 44 so is there any point sending it forward for a recheck?

Is that basically it already rechecked?

Just viewed my company script. Pretty strictly marked. 40 marks in my 1st 4qs. 2/20 on my last. 42 total. I was able to use my phone to take pics of my script. To the above point, mine was only checked by the internal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

Hi guys..

When the milkrounds open is it just for 2020 trainees or will companies be taking on 2021 trainees too?

Also in terms of application deadlines and interviews for the traineeships when are they roughly held? I want to book a trip after the October FE1s (give me a reason to suffer through the study) but don’t know if directly after the exams is the best idea?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement