Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Does anybody have the spring 2019 Constitutional paper? I'd be very grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Can anyone outline the costs and payments to the law society after we finally pass all 8 and seek to apply for PPC1 (Whenever that day comes haha)

And generally do firms usually foot the bill or do a lot of people pay their own way?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 leek15

The pack has a contract/other form you get your training solicitor to sign, a declaration you fill in, and asks for your birth cert, certified copy of your degree, letter confirming fe1s passed, 2 references, a life history too basically, and a bill for €840 to APPLY to the PPC1.

Do you know is that €840 additional to or part of the PPC1 fee? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Replying to the last two messages:

The €840 is not part of the PPC1 fees. Which I think is a stealth fee as statutory rates have the PPC1 set at €8300. Overall, that's €9140.
    If you pay this yourself you can get about €800 refunded in tax down the line.

A lot of solicitor offices are open to taking on trainees AFTER the PPC1. Ie. You fund it yourself and draw no wage. You then start in April in office.

Unfortunately, this is all expenses. If you get into a big firm you'll not have to worry. That said, they'll work you so hard you'll burn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BemusedKettle

what's the book that everyone akways recommends that you read for constitutional?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

what's the book that everyone akways recommends that you read for constitutional?

The Supreme Court by Ruadhan Mac Cormaic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

Does anyone know if firms will be hiring for 2021 aswell as 2020 when the milk rounds open this autumn?

Also when is generally the closing date for applications and when do you hear about interviews etc? Probably getting a bit ahead of myself but trying to plan re annual leave/exam leave.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

TCPIP wrote: »
    Does anybody have the spring 2019 Constitutional paper? I'd be very grateful.

I don't but I got this from a previous comment, hopefully of some help. Would be grateful also. Anyway here is what I have:

1 Problem Q. Challenge to an international agreement that Ireland is entering into.

Q2 Essay Q. Mallack v Minister for Justice
    Fair Procedures
    Duty to give reasons

Q3 Essay Q. Referenda. Mc Kenna (2) and Mc Crystal represent inappropriate interferences with politics. Information & Funding:

Q4 Case Note Q.

M v Min for Justice and Equality (2018)
    Unborn;

Meadows v Minister for Justice; Re Art 26 and the Employment Equality Bill 1996;
    Fair Procedures
    Duty to give reasons

Persona Digital Telephony v Min for Public Enterprise.
    Locus Standi
    Plaintiff must have interest in case and argument being made

Q5 Problem Q. Blood sample taken from Paula by Gardaí after road traffic accident turns back a negative and no charges are brought. Years later she applies for a job as a teaching assistant and is turned down because it says the Gardaí informed the school that she was likely to have been under the influence of alcohol. Advise Paula in context of the retention of the blood sample and the disclosure of information. I wrote about the right to privacy and the right to earn a liveihood mainly. Not sure if that was the right tack. Tricky one.

Q6 Prob Q. Betty's house is searched by Gardaí. Gun found. Warrant was wrong and Gardaí knew that. I wrote about unconstitutionally obtained evidence here.

Q7 Essay Q. That the Irish constitution gives an unusually strong protection to property rights is overstated and the Oireachtas actually has quite some latitude.

Q8 Problem Q. Michael wears a cross overtly to work every day in the dept of agriculture. The dept issues a circular saying that such jewellery of any kind. Constitutional recourse for Michael. Religion and the Heaney proportionality test were relevant to this question in my view.

I thought it was a fair paper overall. Further evidence that the case note question is a waste of time. Basically had 7 questions to work with. The case note question is often a shaft in constitutional and is almost always a shaft in EU in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

Thank you so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Daly29 wrote: »
    I don't but I got this from a previous comment, hopefully of some help. Would be grateful also. Anyway here is what I have:

1 Problem Q. Challenge to an international agreement that Ireland is entering into.

Q2 Essay Q. Mallack v Minister for Justice
    Fair Procedures
    Duty to give reasons

Q3 Essay Q. Referenda. Mc Kenna (2) and Mc Crystal represent inappropriate interferences with politics. Information & Funding:

Q4 Case Note Q.

M v Min for Justice and Equality (2018)
    Unborn;

Meadows v Minister for Justice; Re Art 26 and the Employment Equality Bill 1996;
    Fair Procedures
    Duty to give reasons

Persona Digital Telephony v Min for Public Enterprise.
    Locus Standi
    Plaintiff must have interest in case and argument being made

Q5 Problem Q. Blood sample taken from Paula by Gardaí after road traffic accident turns back a negative and no charges are brought. Years later she applies for a job as a teaching assistant and is turned down because it says the Gardaí informed the school that she was likely to have been under the influence of alcohol. Advise Paula in context of the retention of the blood sample and the disclosure of information. I wrote about the right to privacy and the right to earn a liveihood mainly. Not sure if that was the right tack. Tricky one.

Q6 Prob Q. Betty's house is searched by Gardaí. Gun found. Warrant was wrong and Gardaí knew that. I wrote about unconstitutionally obtained evidence here.

Q7 Essay Q. That the Irish constitution gives an unusually strong protection to property rights is overstated and the Oireachtas actually has quite some latitude.

Q8 Problem Q. Michael wears a cross overtly to work every day in the dept of agriculture. The dept issues a circular saying that such jewellery of any kind. Constitutional recourse for Michael. Religion and the Heaney proportionality test were relevant to this question in my view.

I thought it was a fair paper overall. Further evidence that the case note question is a waste of time. Basically had 7 questions to work with. The case note question is often a shaft in constitutional and is almost always a shaft in EU in my opinion.

when you say shaft, do you mean it is so random its beyond a lottery what the case note might be or do you mean its hard marked ?

• Advertisement

Breacnua wrote: »
    when you say shaft, do you mean it is so random its beyond a lottery what the case note might be or do you mean its hard marked ?

Hi, I saved this comment down in my notes when I saw someone put it up after the last constitution exam so I am just regurgitating someone else who helpfully put these notes up.

I'd guess they mean random. From reading the exam reports they more often than not say this Q was answered successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

Daly29 wrote: »
    Hi, I saved this comment down in my notes when I saw someone put it up after the last constitution exam so I am just regurgitating someone else who helpfully put these notes up.

I'd guess they mean random. From reading the exam reports they more often than not say this Q was answered successfully.

It is impossible to predict which cases will appear in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

vid36 wrote: »
    It is impossible to predict which cases will appear in my opinion.

I feel it is indeed impossible to predict, though I was lucky with Constitutional this year as I 'predicted' the 2018 case (I was banking M and it came up, and was thinking about any of the Equality bill ones... and it came up too, even though I didn't really prepare this one, so yep, luck). It's like, either you just abandon the prospects of doing that question and you focus on the 7 remaining, or you just play the fate, pick the cases you learn, and well, pray.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

It's definitely very hard, a lot of them you'll inevitably have studied over the course, a lot of fair procedure ones come up and there's always 1-2 new SC cases from what I saw. Also, with the M one, a lot predicted that based on the fact abortion would have been too moot a topic to give a full question given the repeal, however it was such a core topic for so long there was a good chance they'd try give it some focus and that was the best place to do so.

I had never planned to do it and ended up doing it and was luckily fine, had seen the digiphone case as being a good shout given how much access to litigation is being asked these days and the fact it came up in full questions recently before meant it was likely gonna come up there if anywhere, and then I was lucky with the Re Art 26 case just from having studied all the presidential references.

The core point of the above is a mixture of prediction with a hefty amount of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

On another note, if anybody would like that Supreme Court book, I'm looking to declutter my place so you can drop me a PM if you'd be interested in getting it. (And other materials for FE1s too possibly).

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Smiley283

Would anyone have a EU grid they could share with me? I'd really appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Silence88

Hi guys. Does anyone have notes for Company or EU that they'd be willing to share? I've notes for all the other subject, as well as exam reports and past papers that I could swap.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JohnsKite

How do the fe-1s compare to college law exams at marking - do they expect the same level of detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Jimdtug1

JohnsKite wrote: »
    How do the fe-1s compare to college law exams at marking - do they expect the same level of detail?

Think Junior Cert and Leaving Cert

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JohnsKite

Jimdtug1 wrote: »
    Think Junior Cert and Leaving Cert

So pretty basic/straight forward?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

Jesus you must have had an awful tough junior or leaving cert. For me, the FE-1's were much harder than school exams, undergraduate and postgraduate exams. I definitely wouldn't call them basic/straight forward. I never failed any of my junior, leaving cert or 3rd level exams. I have failed many FE-1s in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

Yohnathan wrote: »
    Jesus you must have had an awful tough junior or leaving cert. For me, the FE-1's were much harder than school exams, undergraduate and postgraduate exams. I definitely wouldn't call them basic/straight forward. I never failed any of my junior, leaving cert or 3rd level exams. I have failed many FE-1s in the past.

Same!! I flew through school and college no bother. Those FE1 exams made me feel thick as a brick and I ended up doubting myself and my abilities. Glad Im finished with them, good riddance to that arduous process, my life was pretty much on hold the last three years. Zero fun.....

ally1234 wrote: »
    Same!! I flew through school and college no bother. Those FE1 exams made me feel thick as a brick and I ended up doubting myself and my abilities. Glad Im finished with them, good riddance to that arduous process, my life was pretty much on hold the last three years. Zero fun.....

Haha tell me about it! 3 years of torture. Finally finished. Booked flights to South America at the end of August/start of September for my first big holiday in years then realized that Blackhall may be starting in the first week of September :(:( The Law Society still haunts me ;):pac::D

Does anyone have any point of reference for the King's Inns exams?
    Unlike the FE1s I can't find any retort/ guidance.

I've actually passed the FE1s so I'm no stranger to the work. However, is there more depth required does anyone know? Ie. 3Q in 3 hours (out of 5Qs)

Yohnathan wrote: »
    Haha tell me about it! 3 years of torture. Finally finished. Booked flights to South America at the end of August/start of September for my first big holiday in years then realized that Blackhall may be starting in the first week of September :(:( The Law Society still haunts me ;):pac::D

Aw wow enjoy South America, you luck thing but so well deserved!!

So glad to be finished these rotten exams. Now Im on the job hunt for a training contract, they seem slim on the ground for Blackhall 2019 entry, all the Dublin firms seem to be recruiting for Blackhall 2020?

By way of background i worked full time the last six years as a legal secretary, four of which i spent studying for the FE1's. My current job has no training positions available. Am i clutching at straws hoping to get a training contract before this September. I know time is ticking!!! Any advice/insight is much appreciated as always!

So glad to be finished these rotten exams. Now Im on the job hunt for a training contract, they seem slim on the ground for Blackhall 2019 entry, all the Dublin firms seem to be recruiting for Blackhall 2020?

By way of background i worked full time the last six years as a legal secretary, four of which i spent studying for the FE1's. My current job has no training positions available. Am i clutching at straws hoping to get a training contract before this September. I know time is ticking!!! Any advice/insight is much appreciated as always!

Approach smaller firms and say you'll fund the PPC1 yourself. Therefore, joining them in April.
    That's if you can afford this. Get a loan?
    Qualify a year earlier = higher wages sooner.

Approach smaller firms and say you'll fund the PPC1 yourself. Therefore, joining them in April.
    That's if you can afford this. Get a loan?
    Qualify a year earlier = higher wages sooner.

True. Ideally need a contract in the west. Rents in Dublin for a training period is what is holding me back. Can get credit, but need to sort things out fast if i am to get a place in Blackhall for this September! Fe1 stress ends now another begins. Oh the joys of this wonderful profession!

Yeah, I have seen most places are looking for 2020 trainees. I'm not sure really. I interviewed for a few places in small and medium but for me the money wasn't appealing. I have nearly 5 years experience. 1 in a firm and 3.5 in house, all as a paralegal.

Dublin is not ideal for training with the wages v rent scenario.

The funding PPC 1 yourself scenario is not a bad idea. I am debating that myself although I am waiting to hear back from my employer as to whether they will train me in-house and pay fees.

Post FE-1 Blues :eek:

True. Ideally need a contract in the west. Rents in Dublin for a training period is what is holding me back. Can get credit, but need to sort things out fast if i am to get a place in Blackhall for this September! Fe1 stress ends now another begins. Oh the joys of this wonderful profession!

I think you can do the PPC1 without a training contract. You USED to be able anyways.
    Approach firms saying you'll be PPC1 finished. Fund it yourself.
    I seriously think you'll struggle to find a fully sponsored traineeship now (in June). I found it hard with a 1.1 Masters and 2.1 BCL.
    I found two then and ended up taking neither

• Advertisement

In fairness the person asked the difference of difficulty between college and FE1. Think he meant to think of college like Junior Cert difficulty (easy) and FE1 lke Leaving Cert in comparison (much more work)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement