Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 keightlaw

Check your junk mail folder - my email ended up there!

Anyone else having trouble logging in? I am fairly sure I am using the proper username (the ID number at the top of the letters the Law Soc sent me), along with the temporary password, but it's saying that my username or password is incorrect :rolleyes:

Yeah I an also having that same problem, emailed the law society earlier so hopefully they will get back. Stressful enough. Have you emailed them or heard back?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

keightlaw wrote: »
    Yeah I an also having that same problem, emailed the law society earlier so hopefully they will get back. Stressful enough. Have you emailed them or heard back?

I was planning on emailing them tomorrow about it. Hopefully they get back to me quickly so I can sort it out. The whole thing is stressful enough without not being able to login!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Becks63976

Im also having trouble logging in and i emailed them yesterday morning and i still havent heard anything back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 keightlaw

Becks63976 wrote: »
    Im also having trouble logging in and i emailed them yesterday morning and i still havent heard anything back yet.

Did you hear back since? I haven't heard back, I emailed yesterday evening. I called as well and was put through to voicemail but no one got back either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Becks63976

keightlaw wrote:
    Did you hear back since? I haven't heard back, I emailed yesterday evening. I called as well and was put through to voicemail but no one got back either.

I did not hear back from them but I went to try to log in there and it is working now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

keightlaw wrote: »

I sent an email this morning, and they replied a while ago - it's working perfectly for me now! Maybe try logging in again in case it's fixed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 f.t.mcdaid

Hi all, i hope this is the correct form.

Just wondering if there is any online/live groups that people might have or know of. I know its a bit early but I am intending to sit Equity, Contract, Company and Tort.

Would anyone be interested in setting up a messenger group?

Thanks,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Best of luck tomorrow to all of your waiting on results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Call me stupid, but what/where is the temporary password?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lindyloo 1

Paleblood wrote: »
    Call me stupid, but what/where is the temporary password?

The temporary password is the word 'password' (all lower case) and then
    change your password when you login, using the My Profile link in the
    top right-hand corner of the site.

Best of luck everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

f.t.mcdaid wrote: »

Just wondering if there is any online/live groups that people might have or know of. I know its a bit early but I am intending to sit Equity, Contract, Company and Tort.

Thanks,

I would be interested in setting something up, let me know if you get anywhere with it.

Best of luck today everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭claiomh solais

passed 3, EU, Property and Equity.

Failed contract so this is just the worst. 7 of 8 god damn. no 2017 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Passed equity on the second attempt! She's a feckin tough marker I thought I'd 5 good answers (I only sat equity) and I still only barely passed. Meh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dsalmon91

Just did my first sitting, did 4 subjects. Just seen the results got 47 in Tort, 46 in Criminal and 43 in Property and no good in equity unfortunately (but I expected that). Just looking for some advice from people who have sat these exams before or have had rechecks done. Would it be worth getting Tort, Property and Criminal rechecked or ideally should I have at least passed one before getting a recheck done. What kind of mark should you be on if you are considering a recheck.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭kiwi33

I have 7 out of 8 passed. I got 40 in EU does anyone think it could be worth it to recheck it??

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭claiomh solais

Well I'll be rechecking my contract law thats for sure.

Its crazy, I thought I failed EU and got a 57, and I thought I did great in contract and got a 42

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

f.t.mcdaid wrote: »

Thanks,

This Google group was set up before. We could try it again?

After getting totally panicked last night and talking about giving up on the exams entirely, I'm feeling way better today! Passed Company (AT F**KING LAST) and Contract so I'm now at 5 out of 8. Got a 42 in Criminal and that was the only one I thought I had a chance in passing so I'm debating as to whether to recheck that.

Well done everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

I failed equity 43 and I honestly thought it was my best one and I thought I might of failed contract and got 59.I don't get how these exams are marked

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Got 43 in constitutional, it is worth re-checking?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

Is 46 in EU worth getting rechecked guys??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 LLBeatle

Passed 2/3 and got 44 in Criminal. Is a recheck worth my while? Anyone here passed criminal on a recheck with less?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Last of the FE1s passed! I got 61 in Company and 59 in Constitutional. My previous best was a 52 in Tort so nice to pass them with a bit to spare.

For those who didn't get good news this morning stick at it. Once you get the first 3 passed a significant amount of pressure is off. Unless you're under time constraints to pass by a certain year because you have a training contract secured then take your time with them. After sitting 4 the first time around the most I sat in any subsequent sittings was 2. They become more manageable if you break them down a bit. You have 5 years to pass them so there's plenty of time.

For anyone thinking of giving up please stick at it. There was a stage when I felt the stress of these exams was impacting on my mental health so I walked away from them. I'd 5 passed at that stage but I failed Tort miserably and my heart wasn't in it any more. I went away working in retail for a while and when I felt I was better equipped I went back and sat Tort last October and passed it. The 18 months I took away from the exams was the best thing I ever did. I passed the three exams I had left at the first time of asking. These exams are daunting but more than passable. I barely got a 2:1 degree in college so if I pass these anyone can! :P

Finally thank you so much to everyone on here that has helped me over the years. This thread really has been invaluable. Best of luck to everyone going forward! Now to go out and try and get a training contract!

PS The manuals I used in the last sitting were of a really poor standard and me passing was of little or no thanks to them. I know I can't name them on this thread but feel free to PM me and I'll tell you the college involved. I've heard they are rewriting the Constitutional manual but on the off chance they don't I'd be wary of using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

20029422 wrote: »
    I failed equity 43 and I honestly thought it was my best one and I thought I might of failed contract and got 59.I don't get how these exams are marked

Exactly the same here getting it rechecked

Passed equity on the second attempt! She's a feckin tough marker I thought I'd 5 good answers (I only sat equity) and I still only barely passed. Meh :pac:

I failed too thought was my best paper so getting a recheck

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

Lumi77 wrote: »
    Exactly the same here getting it rechecked

equity must be marked at a higher standard because people generally understand it.I answered 5 questions.

20029422 wrote: »
    equity must be marked at a higher standard because people generally understand it.I answered 5 questions.

It must be because I really studied hard for it and passed 3 in my first sitting so equity was a shock for me

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mayo91

I did 3 Prop, Equity and Contract.

Thought I failed contract, got a 53

Thought I honestly aced Equity. Easiest exam I sat in years. got 50

Prop I got a 60 and I thought I may have barely passed.

I really question the way they're marking this. I've been in a few unis and have postgrad, I have an idea about marking exams. In this case however, there seems to be absolutely zero consistency. I have no idea what parameters they're using. They're obviously marking straight on the curve, with no credence for whats actually on the page. I feel like this is an absolute lottery at best, and a scam at worst. People are saying stick at it, and put in the work but it's genuinely worrying how off these exams are. If they're going to mark on the curve, then say you're marking on the curve and change the grading system. It makes zero sense.

I am happy I passed, but with a few more to sit, this kind of marking doesn't really bode well for me going forward. I just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

Has anybody jumped from 46 to 50 on recheck?? Eager to find out as have the application form recheck ready to go but is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Mayo91 wrote: »
    I did 3 Prop, Equity and Contract.

Thought I failed contract, got a 53

Thought I honestly aced Equity. Easiest exam I sat in years. got 50

Prop I got a 60 and I thought I may have barely passed.

I really question the way they're marking this. I've been in a few unis and have postgrad, I have an idea about marking exams. In this case however, there seems to be absolutely zero consistency. I have no idea what parameters they're using. They're obviously marking straight on the curve, with no credence for whats actually on the page. I feel like this is an absolute lottery at best, and a scam at worst. People are saying stick at it, and put in the work but it's genuinely worrying how off these exams are. If they're going to mark on the curve, then say you're marking on the curve and change the grading system. It makes zero sense.

I am happy I passed, but with a few more to sit, this kind of marking doesn't really bode well for me going forward. I just don't get it.

I agree. There is absolutely no transparency in how these exams are marked. For rechecks I wonder do they even bother checking half of them. The examiners reports are also for the most part useless.

For people who have 1/2 exams left to pass especially I think they should be weighing up the marks and give consideration to past exams already passed- at least give people a chance unless they completely messed up the exam entirely. Especially since these exams have very little to no benefit to the practicalities of working in an office (have worked in a Solicitors office for 3 years now actively on files and not once can I remember thinking "Oh thanks to the knowledge of the FE1s I can move this file on..."). I've seen the Legal Executive course exam past papers where you're examined on the likes of the importance of special conditions in conveyancing contracts or the first 10 things to consider when being instructed to make a Will which would be a more of a beneficial thing to know rather than the recent Law Reform Commission Report on privity of contract.....The FE1s do not test your ability to be a good Solicitor they simply test your memory and your luck that you will hopefully answer the exam in the same subjective way as the Examiner.

For most of us having studied through college we have a fair idea of how an exam went after we sit it..if we feel like we made a total mess of it then yes, we can accept a fail. But with so many people walking away from the exam hall confident in what they have just put down on the page, it is heart-wrenching not to get that 50.

• Advertisement

Personally I am thinking is a scheme to make money, I dont know many people that paid for a recheck that got a higher mark but thats how they make 115 per subject. I am absolutely shocked at the results I got as I was expecting a lot higher, I have studied 8 hours a day for three months with work and two kids and I was sure I was going to get higher marks.
    And like the others have mentioned I have an undergrad and Masters so plenty of exams sat!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement