Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

neon123 wrote: »
    Hi Folks, I was thinking of sitting Contract, Equity, Property and Criminal in my first sitting but read in another post that Equity might not be the best to do on the first sitting. I'm thinking of switching out Equity for Company and just wanted to check in and see what people think of company, i.e would it be one of the easier exams to pass and is there a lot in the course? I initially thought Equity would be good to do as I'm also doing contract but just wanted to get peoples thoughts. Thanks

To put it in context - I passed 7 of the FE1s on the first sit. I had to sit Equity 3 times to pass it!!
    It's all subjective obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 LeVaterIzVet

Hello there, would anyone like to swap materials?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

To put it in context - I passed 7 of the FE1s on the first sit. I had to sit Equity 3 times to pass it!!
    It's all subjective obviously.

Just wondering what caused you to keep failing it, were you leaving topics out? Because I heard its very doable if you learn it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dizg

Does anyone have grids for contract and criminal? And any more recent notes? I've some but they're from a few years ago and I'm worried they're missing some more recent changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

Does anyone have any recommendations for tutors offering one-on-one FE1 prep in Dublin? Specifically someone who would be able to correct exam questions for me and provide me with feedback.

The subjects I am doing are EU, Contract, Equity and Criminal.

Thanks.

Mod
    Sorry we don't recommend particular tutors nor courses on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Mario07

You have any hints how to study company? I find the language used in it hard and in exam can you just write off from act n get marks??

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ciarocxcc

I am currently working full time in a law firm which is really busy, but I have the months of august and september off to study for october FE1s. I havent had time to hardly pick up a book this summer, will the two months be enough if I really put the head down? This is my second lot of FE1s, I passed the first 4 in March. In October I want to sit Criminal, Tort, EU and Constitutional. Am I being too idealistic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Small Wonder

ciarocxcc wrote: »
    I am currently working full time in a law firm which is really busy, but I have the months of august and september off to study for october FE1s. I havent had time to hardly pick up a book this summer, will the two months be enough if I really put the head down? This is my second lot of FE1s, I passed the first 4 in March. In October I want to sit Criminal, Tort, EU and Constitutional. Am I being too idealistic?

You've two full months off and you're wondering if attempting 4 exams is too much? Seriously, I know they're tough but it's not NASA. I'm doing EU, Company, Criminal and Constitutional. My final four. I've one week booked off work and I intend on passing them all.

ciarocxcc wrote: »

I passed those 4 while working fulltime (out of the house from 8am to 7pm). Unless you're getting paid while taking time off - there's no need. If you've a law degree, you'll have done these before. If not, you'll be grand anyways. Two months is overkill. That's my opinion.
    Maybe take 3 or 4 weeks!? I used to study 06-08am and 7-9pm, for 6 weeks before, and weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 moomin2901

I passed those 4 while working fulltime (out of the house from 8am to 7pm). Unless you're getting paid while taking time off - there's no need. If you've a law degree, you'll have done these before. If not, you'll be grand anyways. Two months is overkill. That's my opinion.
    Maybe take 3 or 4 weeks!? I used to study 06-08am and 7-9pm, for 6 weeks before, and weekends.

Do you mind me asking how you use your study time, or what is your study technique? At present I am writing out own notes from manuals, focusing on one subject at a time. Hoping then I can learn off my own scaled down notes when have all notes complete. I am anxious that I am not spending enough time actually learning off though.

Any study format advice would be welcome please. Scared I am not utilizing my time effectively

• Advertisement

moomin2901 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how you use your study time, or what is your study technique? At present I am writing out own notes from manuals, focusing on one subject at a time. Hoping then I can learn off my own scaled down notes when have all notes complete. I am anxious that I am not spending enough time actually learning off though.

Any study format advice would be welcome please. Scared I am not utilizing my time effectively

Hey I’m doing them for the first time too, I started out with hand writing the notes but honestly it takes so so long. So now I’m typing and then condensing by hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Hey I’m doing them for the first time too, I started out with hand writing the notes but honestly it takes so so long. So now I’m typing and then condensing by hand!

I would scrap notes, id focus on sample answers and exam answers then making notes on stuff you find the hardest etc

yournerd wrote: »
    I would scrap notes, id focus on sample answers and exam answers then making notes on stuff you find the hardest etc

If I scrap notes, I won’t know the material! Have to start somewhere I’m afraid. Sample answers are extremely important but no way am I ignoring the syllabus in favour of possible qs. You never know what will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Charlie Gove MP

Hello folks.

Just a general question about the scope of reading.

I have a lot of books, like the hardback stuff by McDermott, Charleton, Wylie etc.

How much detail do I have to go into?

I feel I am reading stuff that might be too detailed....it's almost stuff I think you would be reading once you get into the Law Society rather than stuff you read to get into the Law Society.

Just my €0.02.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

Hello folks.

Just a general question about the scope of reading.

I have a lot of books, like the hardback stuff by McDermott, Charleton, Wylie etc.

How much detail do I have to go into?

I feel I am reading stuff that might be too detailed....it's almost stuff I think you would be reading once you get into the Law Society rather than stuff you read to get into the Law Society.

Just my €0.02.

Thanks.

Detail wise you only need to know the key underlining cases and relevant legislation, you do not need any academic commentary.

I would advise trying to get your hand on the FE manuals from one of the colleges.

Yeah my strategy was the same. It is time consuming to bullet point or condense manuals but it's effective as you're engaging with the material and studying.
    I was probably tied up doing this until the 2 weeks before the exam.
    I also wrote out a topic header and all the relevant case names on an A4 and a couple of key words next to each case.

Yeah my strategy was the same. It is time consuming to bullet point or condense manuals but it's effective as you're engaging with the material and studying.
    I was probably tied up doing this until the 2 weeks before the exam.
    I also wrote out a topic header and all the relevant case names on an A4 and a couple of key words next to each case.

Thanks for reply. Feel assured I am on the right track now, phew!

Hi, I was going to type, but my typing speed is horrific. I might try again. What subjects are you doing? Are you working form manuals?

Just wondering is anyone else on the Access programme ?

Hi, I was going to type, but my typing speed is horrific. I might try again. What subjects are you doing? Are you working form manuals?

I'm doing Company, Criminal, EU & Equity. Yes I have the manuals I bought them off a girl who did them last year! Yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

Can anyone give some tips on how you should mark your legislation? I know you're allowed tab and highlight but do ye do it by topic, by section etc.? This will be my first time bringing anything in and the companies act is so huge I'm not sure where to start! Thanks :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Small Wonder

lisac223 wrote: »
    Can anyone give some tips on how you should mark your legislation? I know you're allowed tab and highlight but do ye do it by topic, by section etc.? This will be my first time bringing anything in and the companies act is so huge I'm not sure where to start! Thanks :-)

The simplest answer is mark it however you like. I simply highlight the most important sections within the index for quick access, then underline key passages of text. But you'll see people in the exam with multiple colour tabs and highlighters, perhaps each colour is a topic. I don't know. Use your imagination. Just don't write anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JohnsKite

Have there been any major revolutions in tort over the last few years? Haven't covered it since 2015, are my old notes still up to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

JohnsKite wrote: »
    Have there been any major revolutions in tort over the last few years? Haven't covered it since 2015, are my old notes still up to date?

I can only really think of damages with the new act (Civil Liability Amendment Act 2017). I did a full question on that in March and it definitely saved my crappy professional negligence question! Only other thing I can think of is passing off has a couple of 2018 cases and there is actually a 2019 one that sums up the main points quite well (Galway Free Range Eggs v O'Brien). Also the UCC v ESB [2018] case is really important in nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

I'm so confused by causation in tort inparticular legal causation. In some notes, novus actus and res ipsa loquitor seem to come under it - is this right?
    And then is remoteness a seperate issue again?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

holliek wrote: »
    I'm so confused by causation in tort inparticular legal causation. In some notes, novus actus and res ipsa loquitor seem to come under it - is this right?
    And then is remoteness a seperate issue again?

I would be wary of trying to separate out issues and topics too much. They seem to be moving towards more joined up and overlapping questions every year. Its now hard to justify leaving out anything or not reviewing anything for some subjects.

In saying that those three issues would come under Causation in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

randomrb wrote: »
    I would be wary of trying to separate out issues and topics too much. They seem to be moving towards more joined up and overlapping questions every year. Its now hard to justify leaving out anything or not reviewing anything for some subjects.

In saying that those three issues would come under Causation in my opinion

OK that's great to know thank you! Would you be able to tell me what exactly is legal causation? I can't figure it out :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

holliek wrote: »
    OK that's great to know thank you! Would you be able to tell me what exactly is legal causation? I can't figure it out :confused:

Causation is a two steps process:

1. Once factual causation is proven i.e. the plaintiff has shown that there is a scientific link between the defendant's negligence and their injuries,

2. the plaintiff must then prove there is legal causation, this requires the plaintiff proving the blame for their injuries should attributed to the defendant as a matter of law.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Hi All,

I'm starting to do my Property revision and I'm pretty nailed down on 4 questions, 2 x succession, adverse possession and easements. I'm thinking of doing co-ownership as my 5th question going by the grids I have, it appears quite regularly. Going by previous posters, landlord and tenant is a question that's rather hefty and to be avoided if possible - I'm trying to be smart with my studying from outset as the last time I attempted them, I over studied and as a result wasn't smart with my time.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 mountaingoat97

Hi All,

I'm starting to do my Property revision and I'm pretty nailed down on 4 questions, 2 x succession, adverse possession and easements. I'm thinking of doing co-ownership as my 5th question going by the grids I have, it appears quite regularly. Going by previous posters, landlord and tenant is a question that's rather hefty and to be avoided if possible - I'm trying to be smart with my studying from outset as the last time I attempted them, I over studied and as a result wasn't smart with my time.

Thanks!

Co-ownership as a 5th would be wise. I'd also recommend doing Finding. its probably the easiest/shortest chapter on the whole FE1 course. it'd be crazy to leave it out imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement