Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 luimneachabu73

Hello people.

FE1 newcomer looking for up-to-date Company, Constitutional, Equity and EU grids.

No grids of my own I can swap as yet but willing to pay if necessary.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

lisac223 wrote: »
    EU LAW:

Would anyone be able to tell me the difference between the European Convention of Human Rights and the Charter of Fundamental Rights and Freedoms? I'm finding it so hard to tell them apart and which one is enforceable in Ireland etc.

TIA :-)

I sat EU last time around and off the top of my head I would say that the Convention is an international convention outside of the EU. Despite the fact some member states have ratified it, as of yet it has NOT been fully ratified by the EU and therefore not directly effective and cannot be invoked as EU law. However the Charter is an EU piece of legislation which covers similar rights and has been influenced by the constitutional traditions of member states and perhaps the Convention. I think the Charter is directly effective as it is part of TEU or TFEU where as the Convention is not unless of course your member state has ratified it.

People who have sat Tort do you think the following would be comprehensive enough or would you recommend doing a bit more? I must go though pass papers yet to see how I would be covered if I just did these but would be very interested in your views.

Also how was the last sitting?

- All of negligence, i.e standard and duty, causation, remoteness, egg shell skull rule
    - Res Ipsa Loq
    - Nuisance
    -Trespass to person and land
    -Passing off
    -Ryland and Flecher
    -Nervous shock
    -liability for animals
    -liability for fire
    - Defamation
    -Product liability
    -Occupiers liability
    -limitation period of actions
    - Damages
    -Vicarious liability
    -medical negligence

Would really appreciate anyones input who has sat tort.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

user115 wrote: »
    I sat EU last time around and off the top of my head I would say that the Convention is an international convention outside of the EU. Despite the fact some member states have ratified it, as of yet it has NOT been fully ratified by the EU and therefore not directly effective and cannot be invoked as EU law. However the Charter is an EU piece of legislation which covers similar rights and has been influenced by the constitutional traditions of member states and perhaps the Convention. I think the Charter is directly effective as it is part of TEU or TFEU where as the Convention is not unless of course your member state has ratified it.

Brilliant that makes sense thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

Hi guys is anyone else writing the notes by hand from the manuals. I’m still at the note writing stage and feel like i don’t have enough time for every topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 htnor

Hi guys, would anyone have an up to date constitutional grid they are willing to share? Would be much appreciated, thanks :)

Hey guys.

I am sitting FE1s for the first time; attempting Company, Constitutional, Equity and EU.

I have the following materials for them:

Company - Independent Colleges 2015 Manual

Constitutional - City Colleges 2017/18 Manual

Equity - Independent Colleges 2016 Manual

EU - City Colleges 2016/17 Manual

Do you think these would suffice? i.e. are they up-to-date enough?

Any/all advice appreciated!

Regards.

Mod
    Pls do not discuss the various colleges etc nor their publications here

• Registered Users Posts: 38 htnor

Hi guys is anyone else writing the notes by hand from the manuals. I’m still at the note writing stage and feel like i don’t have enough time for every topic.

I usually always type everything and typed notes in lectures throughout college but when doing college exams and FE1's I definitely think handwriting notes works better for me. Its frustrating that it takes so long but it just has to be done I think. Plus I genuinely think I need to prepare myself for writing by hand in the exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could recommend how much time to take off work? My work have said I can have max 5 weeks, would this be plenty? Have all of my notes made as of Friday.

Apologies if I seem overly concerned, just this is my second set of 4 and while I passed my last ones I was working part time up until a week before and working full time is just a totally different ball game!

Many thanks

Constitutional:

Would someone who has done constitutional mind telling me the most important topics? And any other tips or hints you have about the course would be greatly appreciated as it is fairly huge in scope!

Thank you :-)

• Advertisement

lisac223 wrote: »
    Constitutional:

Would someone who has done constitutional mind telling me the most important topics? And any other tips or hints you have about the course would be greatly appreciated as it is fairly huge in scope!

Thank you :-)

Hi there!

I sat constitutional in March and passed comfortably, relying on the below tips that I received and found useful. i hope they do the same for you:

Cases - of all the exams, it is likely that constitutional is the one that requires the most in depth knowledge of cases. The examiner likes a detailed discussion of the facts, significance and wider implications of cases in a way that the likes of tort and criminal don't. Very much quality over quantity. On this note, there's a book 'The Supreme Court' (by Ruardhi someone, forget surname) that would recommend to read around now - gives your key cases like Crotty and Boland in great detail and helps you to cement them in a historical context.

Problem Qs - do not panic if you're going through the exam papers not being able to figure out what the problem questions are! Honestly, I was like this up until about a few days before the exam. It's normal to feel like he could be asking 3/4 things and in some questions he is giving you a choice. I viewed my script out of pure nosiness to see my best questions, and I found him to be a kind and fair marker who gave marks for a variety of different angels. Also on this remember that on the day in the exam, you quite simply have to make a choice and go with your gut! So you won't be as indecisive as you are at home trying to figure out what is going on.

Size - I have heard constitutional being referred to as one of 'the big 3' and I would agree with this - it is simply a larger course than the likes of contract or equity. I personally don't like to cut topics, so only cut maybe 2/3 chapters from the entire course. That's just me, but if the last 2 sittings have shown us anything its that the examiner is really seeking to avoid predictable questions, so where possible I would advise avoiding cutting wherever you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Property:
    any tips in regard property and which topics could be left out.
    So far I have succession, adeverse possession, co-ownership and licenses/ Rights of residence and finding done.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Does anyone have Tort Examiner reports!?
    Raymond Friel sets the King's Inns papers too, and being somewhat insular the KI do not publish such. The exams start Monday.

I have passed the FE1s too so I have material in abundance........ if you're looking....

Hi there!

I sat constitutional in March and passed comfortably, relying on the below tips that I received and found useful. i hope they do the same for you:

Cases - of all the exams, it is likely that constitutional is the one that requires the most in depth knowledge of cases. The examiner likes a detailed discussion of the facts, significance and wider implications of cases in a way that the likes of tort and criminal don't. Very much quality over quantity. On this note, there's a book 'The Supreme Court' (by Ruardhi someone, forget surname) that would recommend to read around now - gives your key cases like Crotty and Boland in great detail and helps you to cement them in a historical context.

Problem Qs - do not panic if you're going through the exam papers not being able to figure out what the problem questions are! Honestly, I was like this up until about a few days before the exam. It's normal to feel like he could be asking 3/4 things and in some questions he is giving you a choice. I viewed my script out of pure nosiness to see my best questions, and I found him to be a kind and fair marker who gave marks for a variety of different angels. Also on this remember that on the day in the exam, you quite simply have to make a choice and go with your gut! So you won't be as indecisive as you are at home trying to figure out what is going on.

Size - I have heard constitutional being referred to as one of 'the big 3' and I would agree with this - it is simply a larger course than the likes of contract or equity. I personally don't like to cut topics, so only cut maybe 2/3 chapters from the entire course. That's just me, but if the last 2 sittings have shown us anything its that the examiner is really seeking to avoid predictable questions, so where possible I would advise avoiding cutting wherever you can.

Thank you so much this is brilliant! So helpful thanks for taking the time to write that out :-)

Is anyone aware of any important changes since 2015 in Company / Constitutional / Equity / EU ?

(My materials are from 2015)

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Is anyone aware of any important changes since 2015 in Company / Constitutional / Equity / EU ?

(My materials are from 2015)

Many thanks.

If you go onto the King's Inn page and look at the syllabus for their Constitution exam it lists all the cases you'll need consider. There's a good chunk of cases in the last 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Does anyone have Tort Examiner reports!?
    Raymond Friel sets the King's Inns papers too, and being somewhat insular the KI do not publish such. The exams start Monday.

I have passed the FE1s too so I have material in abundance........ if you're looking....

Have up to March 2018 if they're any use? PM me your email and I'll forward them on this evening.

Does anyone know where you get the EU legislation? OPW don’t have it

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

Does anyone have an EU grid at their disposal they could send on??! :)

I have others I could swap in return if wanted.

Cheers!

I got the consolidated charter & treaties from the publications office of the EU. It was €25.67 but it did take almost a month to get to my so if you're thinking of using it for the exam I would get it soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JohnsKite

Is undue influence structured the same way in equity as contract? I thought it was the same thing, a equitable doctrine applied in contract. I'm confused because from a contract study perspective it talks about 'class 1/2a+b', but from equity there was no mention of classes, just actual and presumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

I got mine in UCDs book shop. Maybe try whichever University is closest to you?

I got mine in UCDs book shop. Maybe try whichever University is closest to you?

Thanks - should have thought of this! Ordered from Eason online this morning, they said would be here in 5 working day so hopefully have it by the end of next week! Have a non-FE1 compliant one used for my exams in June so am familiar with, will hopefully just be a case of highlighting and tabbing

Does anyone have copy of March 2019 Tort exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LBGan94

Does anyone have an up-to-date EU and Company Grid please ? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JohnsKite

user115 wrote: »
    Does anyone have copy of March 2019 Tort exam?

I'm not 100% sure of the accuracy, as I don't have the examiners reports for this one, but I think this is correct -

q1 negligence, i think causation/contrib neg; q2 professional neg; q3 nervous shock; q4 seems like a general question on the fundamental objectives of tort; q5 public authority neg; q6 employers liability; q7 defamation; q8 damages

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ciarocxcc

I sent off my cheque and application form for four exams over a week ago and I still haven't received confirmation from the law society, they sent a receipt the last time via email.. have other people gotten their receipts?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 aideenc18

ciarocxcc wrote: »
    I sent off my cheque and application form for four exams over a week ago and I still haven't received confirmation from the law society, they sent a receipt the last time via email.. have other people gotten their receipts?

I’ve found it’s usually a couple of weeks after the closing date when they send out the emails! This time last year it didn’t come until early September so I wouldn’t worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

ciarocxcc wrote: »

Hey, I sent a bank draft and got an order confirmation from them 2 days later. Give them a call maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 ciarocxcc

Daly29 wrote: »
    Hey, I sent a bank draft and got an order confirmation from them 2 days later. Give them a call maybe.

I'm calling them all day, keep getting put on hold and left on voice machine.. just conscious that the deadline is Friday for registration

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement