Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RuthieP

Does anyone have recent sample answers for Company Law that they could send me? would be really helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Anyone have Constitutional, Equity or EU grids? Can swap for others!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

What's everyone studying for Company?

Can't tell if it's difficult or actually straightforward

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

Considering that the Companies Act was enacted at the end of 2014, does that mean I should only concern myself with Company papers from 2015 onwards?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

I'm in the same boat - one minute seems quite straight forward, very procedural and then other chapters I'm like whaat is going on.

I'm sitting my second 4 - this time company, property, EU and equity.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips/ general comments on any of these?

I've made all of my notes and have begun past papers this week, and so far I feel EU is fine (just very very big and boring but straightforward enough), I quite like equity (similar to contract in terms of size and some overlap and contract my favorite so far), property seems fine but I do recall many people who sat it in March were unhappy as they thought they had passed but they failed, or thought they had done well and barely scraped over the line - is it being marked harder? And then company, which is the one I'm probably most worried about of the 4 so far - examiners report last year he was very unhappy, I wonder if we're due a kinder/ harsher paper as a result?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

I'm in the same boat - one minute seems quite straight forward, very procedural and then other chapters I'm like whaat is going on.

I've made all of my notes and have begun past papers this week, and so far I feel EU is fine (just very very big and boring but straightforward enough), I quite like equity (similar to contract in terms of size and some overlap and contract my favorite so far), property seems fine but I do recall many people who sat it in March were unhappy as they thought they had passed but they failed, or thought they had done well and barely scraped over the line - is it being marked harder? And then company, which is the one I'm probably most worried about of the 4 so far - examiners report last year he was very unhappy, I wonder if we're due a kinder/ harsher paper as a result?

You’re finished all your notes already? Why are you even worrying?😂😂

You’re finished all your notes already? Why are you even worrying?����

I think to take what I said in context, I said company is the one I'm most worried for.. meaning that I feel company to be the most tricky/ challenging to me so far. Wasn't saying anything about being generally worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 smiley1989

What topics are you doing for EU?

I think to take what I said in context, I said company is the one I'm most worried for.. meaning that I feel company to be the most tricky/ challenging to me so far. Wasn't saying anything about being generally worried.

Did you write or type your notes? I don’t feel like I’ll ever be at the stage you’re at, and I’m a hard worker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mr. JD

Did you write or type your notes? I don’t feel like I’ll ever be at the stage you’re at, and I’m a hard worker too.

I'm in the same boat, I'm writing my notes from the manuals and it's taking aaaaaages. Does anyone have any advice on how they do their notes? thinking of just typing at this stage ..

• Advertisement

Mr. JD wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, I'm writing my notes from the manuals and it's taking aaaaaages. Does anyone have any advice on how they do their notes? thinking of just typing at this stage ..

I think everyone feels like it’s taking ages! At least we have the advantage of learning it as we go, which is something you really don’t get from typing. I know it’s not much, but it’s something

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

I think everyone feels like it’s taking ages! At least we have the advantage of learning it as we go, which is something you really don’t get from typing. I know it’s not much, but it’s something

One advantage I'd see with typing is that there will be a template there you can amend/enhance if you fail. I had failed one out of my 3 in March and was regretting having very shorthand handwritten notes, luckily I got one overturned so I didn't have to solve that problem.

smiley1989 wrote: »
    What topics are you doing for EU?

Not sure - how I do it (and I know it is wasteful) is I make notes for every chapter and then decide nearer the time. For my last 4 I didn't cut anything for criminal and contract - cut 2 chapters for tort and constitutional.

However, EU is so much bigger and so much more predictable (or so I'm told, haven't looked at a paper) I feel it is one where a lot of cutting is very normal.

When I know I'll drop you a message :)

I write my notes by hand, and it absolutely does take ages. I actually started in May (I had exams in Property and EU at the end of June so it was a motivating factor to have all my notes done for those two topics by then). Did Equity over July and finished up Company just there (I also work full time atm so had to kinda plan ahead).

A lot of my friends typed their notes for the last sitting and from what they've sent me their notes are brilliant and really detailed. For me, I think I just had this silly thing in my head of writing them out by hand because I had done it that way for the last 4 and it worked, so was familiar to me, but I really do think typing them would be more effective, and I'm just silly and stubborn.

Daly29 wrote: »
    One advantage I'd see with typing is that there will be a template there you can amend/enhance if you fail. I had failed one out of my 3 in March and was regretting having very shorthand handwritten notes, luckily I got one overturned so I didn't have to solve that problem.

I guess, but even if you do type them you’re going to have to write things down at some stage when learning...and the exam is all hand written...what’s the point in typing out the manuals when that’s already done? I don’t know, I guess it’s personal preference at the end of the day.

I guess, but even if you do type them you’re going to have to write things down at some stage when learning...and the exam is all hand written...what’s the point in typing out the manuals when that’s already done? I don’t know, I guess it’s personal preference at the end of the day.

Think it's all good once you are careful to be mindful when typing, that you are engaging with the topic and not just senselessly typing/editing. This time round I'm doing a rough form long version typed and closer to the time do shorthand handwritten.
    Guess the advantage I see in typing notes when you have the manual is to hopefully condense, add your structure, make your own and engage stronger than just reading the manual.
    I'm doing 5 exams so there is a possibility I'll fall short on one and will be happier if I have a typed template to work from if that is the case.
    Most important is getting thru it and engaging with the topic in the most efficient way that suits you.

Daly29 wrote: »
    Think it's all good once you are careful to be mindful when typing, that you are engaging with the topic and not just senselessly typing/editing. This time round I'm doing a rough form long version typed and closer to the time do shorthand handwritten.
    Guess the advantage I see in typing notes when you have the manual is to hopefully condense, add your structure, make your own and engage stronger than just reading the manual.
    I'm doing 5 exams so there is a possibility I'll fall short on one and will be happier if I have a typed template to work from if that is the case.
    Most important is getting thru it and engaging with the topic in the most efficient way that suits you.

Is it really necessary to engage in more than the manuals? I’ve heard...a mile wide and an inch deep.

Is it really necessary to engage in more than the manuals? I’ve heard...a mile wide and an inch deep.

I probably spent too much time on my last set of notes going beyond the manual. Because I'm doing 5 at once I'm skimming thru the manuals, checking the exam papers and covering the topics. I'm hoping to go beyond the manuals after I get thru the 5 subjects. I find it sticks more when using more than one source and obviously you'll have a more rounded understanding. Thing is getting the balance so you aren't spending too much time beefing up your notes on each topic while creating a good set of notes which will pass you the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

No need to go beyond the manuals at all if they are up to date you will nothing else. Remember all you need are the key underlining cases and legislation, don't get bogged down in covering multiple cases that all make the same point.

In alot of cases the manuals go into too much detail, that's why it's a good idea to look at the exam papers and examiner reports to see what usually is asked.

No need to go beyond the manuals at all if they are up to date you will nothing else. Remember all you need are the key underlining cases and legislation, don't get bogged down in covering multiple cases that all make the same point.

In alot of cases the manuals go into too much detail, that's why it's a good idea to look at the exam papers and examiner reports to see what usually is asked.

Ya, tend to agree really when you say that. When I went beyond I think it meant I didn't cover enough topics sufficiently which cost me a lot more in the exams than any advantage of having more info on one topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bluntspoon

I agree with Redhighking - working from the manuals is fine. Unless you're aiming to get prize-winning marks, it's a waste of time to go beyond the manuals and do a bunch of extra reading. Focus on making sure you have a case or two to cover each relevant concept, rather than having fifteen cases that all make the same point.

However I would add two caveats to this! Firstly, sometimes the manuals don't address an important point, even if they are the up-to-date versions. So you should always check the examiners' reports and make sure you're familiar with the cases specifically referenced by the examiner. (This is rare, but it does happen. I particularly remember studying for Contract and reading a few exam reports that remarked on how outrageous it was that students did not mention James Elliot Construction v Irish Asphalt Ltd, it was as though students had never heard of it! And lo and behold, the case wasn't mentioned at all in my up-to-date manual or by my tutor.)

Secondly, for Constitutional, The Supreme Court by Ruadhan Mac Cormaic is really worth a read if you have the time. It's a very easy read and it brings some of the more important cases to life in a way that I found really helpful when trying to remember them for the exam. I read it after someone here on boards recommended it and I was really glad I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

EU/Constitutional/Equity

Does anyone have recent case notes / sample answers from 2017 until now that they are willing to share? I have sample answers up until March 2016 .. willing to swap materials for any other subject

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

Does anyone have the examiners report for the last sitting of Tort? I can swap grids, exam papers and reports up to March 19 for Contract, Constitutional and Criminal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

Does anyone know how many case names you should be aiming to remember for an exam?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Does anyone know how many case names you should be aiming to remember for an exam?

Thanks

Personally I'm aiming for about 10 per question (depending on the topic and relevance) so about 50 per exam - now of course it all depends on how everything goes, but that's my aim!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Just on my final day of King's Inns exams. I passed the FE1s and I'll see how I fare in these.
    Comparably though the intensity of the King's ones is a pain in the ass..... 5 straight days....
    Tort and Constitutional are a bit more convoluted than the FE1s.
    By day 5 you feel wrecked!!
    That said, I think they're marked with less hostility than the FE1s

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Personally I'm aiming for about 10 per question (depending on the topic and relevance) so about 50 per exam - now of course it all depends on how everything goes, but that's my aim!

I can 100% say that reciting casenames won't do it. You must be able to apply the principles first.
    5 cases is enough per question. It varies though.
    Be a rookie mistake to think learning off a list of X v Y will pass you

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

I can 100% say that reciting casenames won't do it. You must be able to apply the principles first.
    5 cases is enough per question. It varies though.
    A rookie mistake to think learning off A list X v Y will pass you

Agreed - only need to learn the key cases and apply them to the question, very useful to highlight the case names during the exam, makes it easier for the examiner to give you marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 saphiradragon

Hi guys, does anyone have the grids for contract law, criminal and eu? I have tort equity constitution and property to swap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Would anyone pleaseeee have sample answers for Contract ..... I had them and deleted them in error and now i'm really stuck!! Would seriously appreciate any help.

Happy to send anything on other subjects you need in return

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement