Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sbbyrne

Does anyone by any chance have any EU and/or Property notes or exam papers they're willing to share, please?

I have sat and passed the rest of the exams so can share what I have on those! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Hi all, I'm re-sitting constitutional but using last years notes. Have there been any big recent cases in the last year that you think might be relevant for this year?

Thanks!!

If you go onto the Kings Inns syllabus for the Constitutional exam, all the cases are listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

For company, is there any point going pre CA14 in terms of past papers? In that, did anyone go back to 2014, 2013, 2012, etc. just to practice questions and largely ignore examiners report? Feels a bit useless to me

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

For company, is there any point going pre CA14 in terms of past papers? In that, did anyone go back to 2014, 2013, 2012, etc. just to practice questions and largely ignore examiners report? Feels a bit useless to me

Yeah realistically there's no point going back prior to 2014 as your exam is focused on different legislation. Think its safe to say the reform question has probably come and gone but still the possibility of a reform q focusing on one specific change.
    But yeah the rest of your questions will require only 2014 commentary and also with the amount of changes the act brought, I'd say some of the questions pre 2014 mightn't even be relevant anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

holliek wrote: »
    Yeah realistically there's no point going back prior to 2014 as your exam is focused on different legislation. Think its safe to say the reform question has probably come and gone but still the possibility of a reform q focusing on one specific change.
    But yeah the rest of your questions will require only 2014 commentary and also with the amount of changes the act brought, I'd say some of the questions pre 2014 mightn't even be relevant anymore.

Thanks so much!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Just as to the discussion on ILAC/answer structure/case law discussion.

What is not important is how many cases you can write about. What is important is that you apply the correct cases to the facts as given.

ILAC is not Intro, middle, conclusion. That's an academic model for essay writing and it is completely inappropriate for professional entrance exams. Candidates for the FE1s need to move away from the academic style and appreciate that you are being asked to advise on often complex factual matrices but at a high level. It is not about giving as much detail as possible but it is about identifying what details are necessary for your answer.

ILAC, or more properly imo, IRAC is Issues-(Relevant) Law and Application (of the relevant law)-Conclusion.

Even using the IRAC model, many people make the mistake of treating it as a four-stage process ie. I, then R, then A, then C, dealt with in that sequence in 4 parts. Don't do that.

It's a case of ensuring that in your answer, you have covered all of the issues and applied the relevant law in order to reach your conclusion. It's not necessarily a sequential process. You can identify issue 1, apply relevant law and conclude your advices in relation to that issue, then move on to identify issue 2. That might be neater. It might be preferable to identify all issues together if certain issues change your advices on application of the law.

If you do want to go the route of dealing with IRAC in sequence, that's fine. It might not be the best way to structure an answer, but it's fine. However, be conscious that if you are going to deal with it this way, the "RA" part of it should be one "section" of your answer. You deal with the application of the relevant law to the facts in front of you together.

Otherwise, what happens is you can end up identifying an issue, writing an essay-style exposition on the law on that particular issue (the writing down everything you know about [x] error) and may fail to actually apply the law for any number of reasons (time, ennui, simply forgetting to do it etc.) You may also have made an error identifying the issue (human nature) and your exposition, though probably very correct on the point you thought you were dealing with, is completely incorrect for the question.

One thing that I have said in these threads is that you are not expected nor are you required to have detailed knowledge of every aspect of the subject you are sitting. The breadth of your knowledge is what is being examined, not the detail of it. This ties in to IRAC as well because it's the breadth of knowledge that will allow you to correctly identify all of the legal issues in a question. If you leave topics out for certain subjects, you might think you're answering a question on an area you have covered but it is common for examiners to tweak the facts of a question to bring in another "topic" that may completely alter the advice given by a competent professional.

It's better to miss a case or two than miss an issue or two.

Does anyone have any sample answers for some of the more recent questions on occupiers liability? I.e. Oct 18 Q5; Mar 17 Q7; Oct 16 Q8 and Mar 16 Q7.
    Having difficulty sometimes identifying the entrant

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

If anyone has sample answers for contract I can send you whatever you need on any of the other subjects!

Really stuck - cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 11 moomin2901

anyone have notes for company? i have c colleges manual , but don't find it coherent- arggg

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

Just wondering if the giving of marks is similar to that in college?

I was averaging about 60% in my college law exams just gone, how would this standard compare to the FE1s?

There's obviously a big format change considering my college exams were 2 questions in 90 minutes whereas FE1s are 5 questions in 3 hours.

Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

Does anyone else feel really behind. I’m typing and writing till I’m blue in the face but it’s taking AGES and I haven’t learned anything yet or done questions...I’m good at exams and did very well in college but I’m really really worried about these.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Just wondering if the giving of marks is similar to that in college?

I was averaging about 60% in my college law exams just gone, how would this standard compare to the FE1s?

There's obviously a big format change considering my college exams were 2 questions in 90 minutes whereas FE1s are 5 questions in 3 hours.

Thank you!

The marking is quite hostile. I got a good 2.1 in the BCL but these broke my spirit.

Sit 4 on your first go and know the principles and the law inside out. Don't expand/ go too deep.
    3 pages of their booklet per answer should do you if you're concise.

I passed them after 4 sits.

Good luck

Does anyone else feel really behind. I’m typing and writing till I’m blue in the face but it’s taking AGES and I haven’t learned anything yet or done questions...I’m good at exams and did very well in college but I’m really really worried about these.

i feel the same way. :(

I'm still typing and writing out my notes and expect I'll be doing it for the next week or two realistically. Haven't started learning or looking at questions yet either. Hoping others are in the same boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 GF612

I'm still typing and writing out my notes and expect I'll be doing it for the next week or two realistically. Haven't started learning or looking at questions yet either. Hoping others are in the same boat!

Also at the note-making stage. It just takes so much time, but there's no point in rushing it because that's what all the revision will be based off. I'm hoping to be done in about 2-3 weeks.

Once you have about two weeks before the exams to revise and cram I think it should be ok.
    Or at least that seems to work for me. I always end up scrambling for the last few days beforehand. It's a mad race to the finish.

Anyone else find EU fundamental rights difficult to get their head around??

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bassadd

Anyone else find EU fundamental rights difficult to get their head around??
    I haven't looked at the actual past exam questions concerning fundamental rights but the notes I have prepared for it deal with compliance with fundamental right (within the scope of the EU member states are bound to comply - even if the member state is derogating from EU law) if outside the scope of EU law then the ECJ will not deal with it.

Other than this aspect my notes also cover the evolution of recognition of fundamental rights within EU law and where the fundamental rights came from (common constitutional traditions among the member states and also the ECHR)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 luimneachabu73

Re the Constitutional 2019 Paper:

1. Government borrows €50M to fund Galway Floating Nuclear Research facility under power granted to Min for Finance. Challenge.

2. Since Mallak v Min for Justice, SC has gradually watered down the obligation on decision makers to give reasons for their actions.

3. McKenna v An Taoiseach and McCrystal v Min for Children are an inappropriate interference with the practical business of politics.

Does anyone know which topics these Qs are relating too?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

That's tough - but you were so close that you're bound to get over the line!

Unlucky about the cases, but try not to get too bogged down by it - the likes of tort and criminal are super case heavy, compared to other subjects like Constitutional where its more about the depth of your cases rather than the quantity.

In terms of advice, I don't struggle with learning cases myself but a good friend of mine did massively - she emphasized the importance of being 'smart' with your cases (i.e. don't waste time trying to learn off several cases saying the same thing but rather being clever about it - e.g. the locus classicus, modern example, Irish example).

Another thing I remember she said she used to do is she would learn off a list of cases for a topic - e.g. for defamation, and when she got into the exam before even starting to plan the question she would write them out in this rigid order she had learnt. She would then go through the list and literally put a line through the ones not relevant to the specific question. Personally that sounds quite soul destroying, but she said it was the only way she could learn off cases was in this really ordered list. She flew through the exams so it may be really effective.

Not sure if any of that helps :)

Thank you for your help and nice comments I wish I had your brain for cases :) I usually too just write off the cases via spider diagram when I get the paper. But it’s stressful as I’m terrified I will forget and have trouble remembering everything.

I find if a name corresponds to someone or something I know it helps.

I also am trying the Sherlock homes memory palace. I tried it this week and it worked for one question I was trying to learn.

I read active recall or testing yourself is the best mode of learning and has been proven through studies.

I would be interested in any other tips out there.

Thank you.

Does anyone use a whiteboard for study?

• Advertisement

Jenosul wrote: »
    Thank you for your help and nice comments I wish I had your brain for cases :) I usually too just write off the cases via spider diagram when I get the paper. But it’s stressful as I’m terrified I will forget and have trouble remembering everything.

I also am trying the Sherlock homes memory palace. I tried it this week and it worked for one question I was trying to learn.

I read active recall or testing yourself is the best mode of learning and has been proven through studies.

Thank you.

could you send a link to sherlock homes memory palace? i did google, but bombarded with results and not sure where to start. I also have to learn cases in a rigid list format and i am struggling to motivate myself! hoping a new format of learning will spark interest again.

Bassadd wrote: »
    I haven't looked at the actual past exam questions concerning fundamental rights but the notes I have prepared for it deal with compliance with fundamental right (within the scope of the EU member states are bound to comply - even if the member state is derogating from EU law) if outside the scope of EU law then the ECJ will not deal with it.

Other than this aspect my notes also cover the evolution of recognition of fundamental rights within EU law and where the fundamental rights came from (common constitutional traditions among the member states and also the ECHR)

thanks for that. I'll try using those headings and see how I get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mr. JD

Hi all,

For Constitutional, are there any topics people are leaving out??

There's just so many!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Mr. Arkadin

I passed four last year and I was still learning topics at 6am on the morning of each exam. Seriously. I 'learned' Marveva injunctions on the motorway on the way to the Red Cow. I attempted no past papers in advance and I walked out of each exam utterly despondent. And yet I got over the line. I am also far from a top quality candidate! A wing and a prayer is the name of my particular game. Keep the head down and press on. That's the best advice I can give you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Does anybody know how to apply to get a copy of scripts back from law society ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eLawGirl

moomin2901 wrote: »
    Does anyone use a whiteboard for study?

I use a little A4 size whiteboard, I like to write out case names or headings of topics etc over and over until I remember them. I use it for drawing out diagrams to get my head around a topic, sometimes I draw something out and take a picture so I have it on my phone to look over. I'd love a bigger one but the A4 is handy for on the go and studying in different places. Less paper waste for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

Breacnua wrote: »
    Does anybody know how to apply to get a copy of scripts back from law society ?

To: fe1dataprivacy@lawsociety.ie
    Subject: Copy of Exam Scripts

Please provide me with a copy of my exam scripts as per below

Name: xxxxx

ID Number: xxxx

Candidate Number: xx

Paper 1: Company Law

Paper 2: The Law of Property

Paper 3: The Law of Tort

Copying the email I sent above.
    Send an email then ring I'd say as I don't know if there was any time limit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

Looking for an up to date exam grid for:

1. Company
    2. EU; and
    3. Contract.

Does anyone have these?

Jenosul wrote: »

Thank you.

What is the Sherlock Holmes memory palace?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 GF612

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone knew which topics these questions relate to?

October 2018 - Q1: (Freedom of Expression maybe????)
    S.25 of the Pharmaceutical Regulation Act 2018 introduces a ban on any publication which might encourage the taking of pharmaceuticals other than in circumstances where they have been prescribed by a doctor.
    Alice runs an Irish website (like ebay). One of the vendors on the site replaces his ads with the statement "Liberty and freedom fail when government interferes with individual chose, resist 'big-government' and visit online-meds.ie"
    Alice is prosecuted for breach of S.25 and seeks your advice on whether there are any grounds of Irish Constitutional law upon which she can challenge her prosecution?

October 2018 - Q3: (Constitutional Interpretation?????)
    "The influence of natural law theory on the development of Irish Constitutional Law was significant and had both positive and negative elements." Do you agree? Give reasons for your answer.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement