Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fe1examtaker

What topics are you guys leaving out for company law?????

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Hi all, could anyone offer some advice on Q8 of EU from Spring 2019? Was on Merger control and gave two proposed updates. Was able to trace the development of merger control but really struggled on how to comment on the benefits of the proposed updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

I passed four last year and I was still learning topics at 6am on the morning of each exam. Seriously. I 'learned' Marveva injunctions on the motorway on the way to the Red Cow. I attempted no past papers in advance and I walked out of each exam utterly despondent. And yet I got over the line. I am also far from a top quality candidate! A wing and a prayer is the name of my particular game. Keep the head down and press on. That's the best advice I can give you.

Thank you so much. This is honestly the best motivation. We need to be encouraging eachother like this more! Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

I'm currently doing my notes for free movement of workers. Looking back on past papers and Q4 March 2015 seems fairly overwhelming. Is it just me or is this an exceptionally hard question?

If anyone has a sample answer that'd be great, don't know where to even start with an answer for that

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭niamh1612

Hi, could anybody who is sitting Contract in October if when in exams they ask for an essay on penalty clauses, do you automatically talk about liquidated damages in comparison throughout the whole essay, I know its essential to mention but is that what they are looking for? I don't want to over-talk liquidated damages if its not what they are looking for. Also if anybody happens to have a sample answer on that or any problem question regarding doctrine of mistake i have loads of sample answers for anything in property and equity as a swap :)
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nimcdona

Does anyone have any tips for how to deal with constitutional, most important topics to cover etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mr. JD

nimcdona wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips for how to deal with constitutional, most important topics to cover etc?

Hiya! I am kind of in the same boat, I've kind of vaguely looked at all the topics, but know nothing well. I'm at the point where I want to start cutting things out and really focusing on specific areas..

What I think (hoping) will come up will be ...
    Q on Freedom of Expression (w/Privacy or Association or Assembly)
    Q on either AG or President or Constitutional Interpretation

I need to add to that above list ... but other areas that are really important are:

Family
    Property Rights
    Referendum Law
    Fair Procedures
    Non-delegation doctrine
    Trial in due course of law
    SOP
    Institutions of the State

Defo not limited to the above... if anyone has any other ideas??

Also for the case note, it'll be a few old important SC decisions and a few new... anyone have any predictions for those!?

Nuisance and Ryland v Fletcher - is it important to know/likely to come up? its not on my exam grid so not sure how often it appears

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Louisekeegan

I have passed all fe1s my tip for constitutional is to buy the nutshell and know it inside out. It’s very helpful as questions on the paper have mixed topics

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bassadd

holliek wrote: »
    Nuisance and Ryland v Fletcher - is it important to know/likely to come up? its not on my exam grid so not sure how often it appears

I have nuisance and rylands as one of the more likely questions on the exam looking at the grid - Its a fairly straightforward topic so its not too bad

• Advertisement

Bassadd wrote: »
    I have nuisance and rylands as one of the more likely questions on the exam looking at the grid - Its a fairly straightforward topic so its not too bad

thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Erica b

Hi guys, where do you order the legislative materials such as the 2014 Companies Act? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 starfishxxo

If anyone has recent grids for Constitutional, EU or Company I would be v. grateful if you would be willing to share ��

Erica b wrote: »
    Hi guys, where do you order the legislative materials such as the 2014 Companies Act? Thanks!

You can order any of the legislation from OPW (office of public works) or with the companies act its also available on Bloomsbury website.
    If your looking for a cheaper option, you can buy it 2nd hand on adverts.ie or gumtree etc

Hi all,

Would ay EU people have any idea of how to tackle the following question? It's from March 2017, Q2.

The CoJ in Case C-603/2010, Pelati v Slovenia, clearly summarised the level of procedural autonomy available for member states in deciding which remedies should be available at national level for breaches of EU law (then gives quote from para 23 of judgement explaining this).

How have these principles of 'equivalence' and 'practical possibility' referred to been developed by the Union judicature to provide clear guidance on how they should deal with breaches of EU law?

I think this is a general principles of EU law question? I may be massively wrong. Anyone any idea on how to tackle this?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Would def cover it, I reckon it's due up this year hasn't been on in last few sittings

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Erica b

You can order any of the legislation from OPW (office of public works) or with the companies act its also available on Bloomsbury website.
    If your looking for a cheaper option, you can buy it 2nd hand on adverts.ie or gumtree etc

brilliant thanks a million! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Roisin Phelan

Anyone have up to date contract/tort grids? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Erica b wrote: »
    brilliant thanks a million! :)

The Sale of Goods 1893 is €2.73

Sale of goods 1980 €5.08

Land and conveyancing act €9.65

Sucession act €7.62

If you would like to purchase one please call us on 01 6476834 between 10am-4pm Monday – Friday.

You can pay by credit/debit card or alternatively you can pay by EFT or send us in a cheque.

Once payment is received delivery will take 2-3 working days

This is what I got from the OPW - hopefully this helps!

Anyone have notes on easements or know the examinable areas? Struggling to understand it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 jamesob123

Hi guys,

Could one of you please tell me what Q3 was in the last Company exam? Here it is:

"In limited liability companies, dividends can only be declared from distributable profits and assets may only be transferred to shareholders at an under value when the company has sufficient distributable profits."

Discuss this according to case and statute etc...

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CiaraND16

JohnsKite wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure of the accuracy, as I don't have the examiners reports for this one, but I think this is correct -

q1 negligence, i think causation/contrib neg; q2 professional neg; q3 nervous shock; q4 seems like a general question on the fundamental objectives of tort; q5 public authority neg; q6 employers liability; q7 defamation; q8 damages

1. Causation, 3. Intentional infliction of emotional distress (not nervous shock), 5. Public authority beach of statutory duty.

the rest are correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sbbyrne

What are peoples thoughts on Property? What are priority topics and what isn't as important? I'm beginning to panic - SOS :(

CiaraND16 wrote: »
    1. Causation, 3. Intentional infliction of emotional distress (not nervous shock), 5. Public authority beach of statutory duty.

the rest are correct!

Is this in referral to the March 2019 sitting? If so, examiners report doesn't specifically state that can talk about nervous shock in Q3, but I did and it was my highest question by far (think it got 16/17 out of 20). I get that the report says infliction of emotional distress, so not really sure :/. That was an awful paper

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Nervous shock is not a tort in the way that intentional infliction of emotional distress is. Nervous shock is a condition that may be a result of a tort (wrong) but it is not a wrong itself.

So any given question can be about one or both the tort of intentional infliction of emotional distress and nervous shock.

Conflating the two concepts would cause confusion. I will try and clarify by reference to more accessible torts and conditions.

Take the tort of negligence. The wrong is the negligent act or omission that gives rise to loss, injury, damage etc. A straightforward example is concussion suffered as a result of being rear-ended in a car crash. The tort or wrong is the negligent driving (failing to stop, driving at an excessive speed, failure to keep a proper look out etc.) The loss, injury, damage is the concussion.

In an intentional infliction of emotional distress case, the tort is the intentional or reckless infliction of emotional distress and the loss, injury, damage etc. might be nervous shock. So to continue with a road traffic scenario by way of analogy, if someone drives so erratically and in such a dangerous way as to give other road users such a fright that one or more of them develop nervous shock, for example, an out of control driver mounting a footpath at a busy bus stop but miraculously failing to hit any pedestrians might still cause loss or damage to people at the bus stop from their wrongdoing. This may be held to be the tort of intentional infliction of emotional distress and some of the rather fortunate unfortunates at the bus stop may develop nervous shock and have a case against the driver of the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CFeery

If anyone has recent grids for Constitutional, EU or Company I would be v. grateful if you would be willing to share ��

Hi, I have most recent grids for EU & Constitution. Company grid also from 2018. I can email them to you. What your email - it could be staring at me - I'm new to this Boards thing :)

Do you have grids for Contract & Criminal?

Are distinctly and indistinctly applicable rules the same as direct and indirectly discrimination?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CFeery

sbbyrne wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on Property? What are priority topics and what isn't as important? I'm beginning to panic - SOS :(

Succession = 2 questions on the paper
    Licences
    Co-Ownership
    Family

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bassadd

Are distinctly and indistinctly applicable rules the same as direct and indirectly discrimination?

Direct discrimination relates only to imported products

Indirect discrimination is a measure which appears to be neutral (applies to both domestic and imported products) but in reality it affects imported products more than domestic

Indistinctly applicable rules are ones which do not discriminate but have the effect of hindering FMOG. eg Dassonville - requiring a certificate when importing scotch whiskey from France into Belgium hindered the movement of goods as the cert was only issued when the whiskey was first imported into France

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

Bassadd wrote: »
    Direct discrimination relates only to imported products

Indirect discrimination is a measure which appears to be neutral (applies to both domestic and imported products) but in reality it affects imported products more than domestic

Indistinctly applicable rules are ones which do not discriminate but have the effect of hindering FMOG. eg Dassonville - requiring a certificate when importing scotch whiskey from France into Belgium hindered the movement of goods as the cert was only issued when the whiskey was first imported into France

Hope this helps

thank you! so for this chapter would I be right in thinking that direct and indirect discrimination mainly come under art110(1)? And then distinctly and indistinctly applicable rules which mainly fall under art 34 and can be justified by art 36?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement