Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Just wondering if anyone has received a confirmation letter or email from the Law Society to say that they received your application?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Just wondering if anyone has received a confirmation letter or email from the Law Society to say that they received your application?

Yeah I sent mine in on the 13th and received the confirmation email the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

To put it very simply - Characteristics, Acquisition and Types.

Is there anything you specifically can't get your head around?

I have typed out characteristics and acquisition, however all I understand on acquisition by prescription is that the period is now reduced to 12 years since 2009? Also what do you mean by types - I have nothing on that at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

EU Competition Law - is there point in learning art 101 and 102 as they haven't been asked in a long time and the examiner seems to focus on state aid and mergers instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

holliek wrote: »
    EU Competition Law - is there point in learning art 101 and 102 as they haven't been asked in a long time and the examiner seems to focus on state aid and mergers instead?

knowing competition and the difference between 102 and 101 got me over the line on Q8 Oct 2018 so I'd definitely know it even briefly just in case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 innako

Hi everyone! What is everyone who is doing Tort this autumn covering?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

Have a lot of work to do to have notes done up by the 16th (being optimistic). I'm hoping by that stage it won't be too hard to learn it all off as I'll have looked over a few times. Anyway, can see a few here are quite a bit ahead of that but for the rest I'm sure there is time to get there. Will start to chime in what I'm doing/leaving out when I get notes on the subjects done. Doing Constitutional, Criminal, Contract, Equity and EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Can anyone help as to whether the below is enough for equity?

Express Trusts
    Secret Trusts
    Purpose/Charitable Trusts
    Resulting Trusts
    Constructive Trusts
    Trusteeship
    Satisfaction
    Specific Performance
    Mareva Injunctions

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

Would you not cover all injunctions? Why only mareva?

On Constitutional I have covered the below. I’m hoping I won’t have to add too many more topics. Some of the below contain a few subtopics.

Anyone have any thoughts feel free to comment :-)

Areas covering

Constitutional Interpretation
    Sovereignty & Cabinet Confidentiality
    Separation of Powers
    Art 40.3 Unenum Rights
    Right to Livelihood
    Equality
    Problem Question on Election
    Trial in due course of Law
    Protection of Journalistic sources
    Privacy
    Locus Standi
    Freedom of Expression
    Private Property
    Family/Unmarried Father/Best Interests Principle
    Referenda
    Locus Standi

Areas Not Covered

Preamble
    Arts 1, 2, 3, 4
    President / Article 26 Ref
    AG & Relator Actions
    Jurisdiction of Lower Courts
    Major vs Minor Offence
    Natural Justice
    Oireachtas, Elections
    Emergency & International Law
    Right to Life
    Right to Life of Unborn and Mother
    Liberty & Bail
    Association & Disassociation
    Religion
    Principles of Social Policy
    Consequences of Unconstitutionality
    Administration of Justice in Public

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

Hi everyone,

Really getting tangled up in the papers at the moment and have sadly wasted most of the day on this question... Every time I think I finally got it, I find out some other piece of information that catches me. Would anyone possibly have a sample answer to:

- Q1 in the October 2016 paper; or
    - Q1 in the Spring 2019 paper.

Not sure if my brain has stopped working today or if it is genuinely this confusing but any help is appreciated with it. And I'm more then willing to reciprocate any bit of help!

To my fellow Constitutional law takers; what do you think the are chances of Constitutional Interpretation coming up? Trying to cut as much as possible! Thanks!

It's appeared every 2nd sitting for the last 8 sittings. Going by that you'd have to think it's more likely than not to come up.

Dj23 wrote: »
    Does anyone have up to date constitutional, contract or equity grids?

Also, wondering whether people think a question on parliamentary privilege and it's justiciability could be likely on constitutional, given the supreme court rulings in the Kerins and O'Brien cases?

Cheers!

Was thinking the same. I would say likely, been in the news a bit, quite a few articles on them plus an area that would fit easily in the exam. Maybe a casenote or straight up question.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

DUMSURFER wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Really getting tangled up in the papers at the moment and have sadly wasted most of the day on this question... Every time I think I finally got it, I find out some other piece of information that catches me. Would anyone possibly have a sample answer to:

- Q1 in the October 2016 paper; or
    - Q1 in the Spring 2019 paper.

Not sure if my brain has stopped working today or if it is genuinely this confusing but any help is appreciated with it. And I'm more then willing to reciprocate any bit of help!

What subject is this for?

Daly29 wrote: »
    On Constitutional I have covered the below. I’m hoping I won’t have to add too many more topics. Some of the below contain a few subtopics.

Anyone have any thoughts feel free to comment :-)

Areas covering

Constitutional Interpretation
    Sovereignty & Cabinet Confidentiality
    Separation of Powers
    Art 40.3 Unenum Rights
    Right to Livelihood
    Equality
    Problem Question on Election
    Trial in due course of Law
    Protection of Journalistic sources
    Privacy
    Locus Standi
    Freedom of Expression
    Private Property
    Family/Unmarried Father/Best Interests Principle
    Referenda
    Locus Standi

Areas Not Covered

Preamble
    Arts 1, 2, 3, 4
    President / Article 26 Ref
    AG & Relator Actions
    Jurisdiction of Lower Courts
    Major vs Minor Offence
    Natural Justice
    Oireachtas, Elections
    Emergency & International Law
    Right to Life
    Right to Life of Unborn and Mother
    Liberty & Bail
    Association & Disassociation
    Religion
    Principles of Social Policy
    Consequences of Unconstitutionality
    Administration of Justice in Public

I did constitutional last sitting so just to weigh in - think your list looks really good and I think you’d be comfortable with what you have. I would recommend doing president as you literally just tab your constitution and get your answer from that, no real learning. I tabbed his real powers in yellow, ceremonial in blue, etc. fair enough leaving referendum as was just up, but president is too handy to leave out in my opinion. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

What subject is this for?

Tort and it's about causation

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

I'm going from the grids and am picking the 7/8 topics I think are most likely for each exam.

Do people think this is sufficient?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

Anyone have any suggestions for criminal? I have ordered exam papers so not sure what comes up. I presume sexual offences, defences, murder/manslaughter and thieft and fraud act i.e robbery etc. Can I leave anything out? I am sitting 4 and having a hard time containing it all. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

Company

Would anyone have access to Courtney's book that could scan/take a picture of a few pages for me? There are no libraries within 100 miles of me (literally, I checked!) that have the book and I just need a chapter or two. I would really appreciate it and I have materials to swap for every other subject.

Thank you :-)

Would anyone have sample answers on the changes since 2014 act in Company?? Really lost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 stressssedout

Sorry if this has been answered a million times before but where can I get a copy of the constitution to bring into the exam? Can I just buy one in easons or those it have to be from a certain place?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

Sorry if this has been answered a million times before but where can I get a copy of the constitution to bring into the exam? Can I just buy one in easons or those it have to be from a certain place?

No, you can get it in easons.

jus_me wrote: »
    Would anyone have sample answers on the changes since 2014 act in Company?? Really lost

Try not to stress! Personally I think unlikely to come up at this stage as the act is 5 years in nearly, but if it does come up you can pretty much rely on other topics you’ve covered to answer it. Codification of directors duties, abolition of ultra vires for ltds, structure of the act, certain model tables etc. Can also throw in a few random things you come across through other chapters e.g. introduced compensation for oppressed shareholders under s212

Try not to stress! Personally I think unlikely to come up at this stage as the act is 5 years in nearly, but if it does come up you can pretty much rely on other topics you’ve covered to answer it. Codification of directors duties, abolition of ultra vires for ltds, structure of the act, certain model tables etc. Can also throw in a few random things you come across through other chapters e.g. introduced compensation for oppressed shareholders under s212

Thank you so much!! In you opinion what would you focus on for company? It's my worst subject!

jus_me wrote: »
    Thank you so much!! In you opinion what would you focus on for company? It's my worst subject!

Same! I absolutely hate it so far, but trying not to. I mean there are some bankers - know directors duties inside out, and then I think know the early parts of the course well - types of organization, separate legal personality, as there’s Nearly always one question on something like this and they’re straightforward with examiners reports saying people usually do well in them.

I then personally am finding the stand alone topics a bit easier - oppression, restriction orders, examinership, etc.

Also taking a bit of comfort in the fact that last sitting was a tough paper - pass rate a lot lower than usual, going from examiner report. Maybe we’re due a kind one is what I’m getting at.

Could anyone offer a bit of advice on EU? Have all of the questions that frequently appear: FMOG, institutions, direct effect/ state liability, general principles, judicial review (standing), equality, citizenship

Wondering how much further are people going - are people learning competition (huge but is due a run), then less frequent ones like mergers/ state aid/ preliminary reference procedure/ infringement and so on. Think the last 2 papers were very predictable so am cautious he might throw in a few curveballs in this sitting

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Could anyone offer a bit of advice on EU? Have all of the questions that frequently appear: FMOG, institutions, direct effect/ state liability, general principles, judicial review (standing), equality, citizenship

Wondering how much further are people going - are people learning competition (huge but is due a run), then less frequent ones like mergers/ state aid/ preliminary reference procedure/ infringement and so on. Think the last 2 papers were very predictable so am cautious he might throw in a few curveballs in this sitting

To be honest - i'm doing the exact same topics as you are! I'm not really looking at anything else. It's so easy to tie yourself up in knots that I'm just sticking to the most common topics over the last number of years and praying to the FE1 gods/examiners!

That's exactly what I did and I passed EU twice (and I had an outline on competition 101 & 102 which got me over the line the first time)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ahhhhhFE1s

To be honest - i'm doing the exact same topics as you are! I'm not really looking at anything else. It's so easy to tie yourself up in knots that I'm just sticking to the most common topics over the last number of years and praying to the FE1 gods/examiners!

Ya I'm the same as well, probably will look at Art 102 and 101 as well cause they're due a run but pretty hopefully will get 5 qs out of those topics!! General principles can come up as part of other question or as stand alone questions on supremacy etc so think that's a good one to focus on!!

• Advertisement

Thanks so much! This is the thing, the papers have to be somewhat standardized I feel. Think I’m going to do the following, would be grateful to hear your thoughts if I should leave anything out or add anything in:

Institutions
    Treaties
    FMOG
    FMOW/ Citizenship
    Mergers
    State aid
    Direct effect and state liability
    General principles
    Judicial review
    Equality/ social policy
    Preliminary reference (have nice notes and short enough so may as well)
    Competition
    106 public undertakings

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement