Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

lisac223 wrote: »
    Company

Hi All,

Does anyone have any predictions or advice for company? His report from March was so harsh I want to be sure I cover enough to not get stuck having a go at dividends or another question he hasn't asked since before 2013!

Thank you :-)

I’m in the same boat! I’m hoping we’re due a kind paper because this last one was such a stinker

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

Hi guys what are your studying methods? Should I be going through the reports and making notes before I begin cramming?
    Do you condense things down onto flash cards?
    There is an overwhelming amount of information

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

lisac223 wrote: »
    Company

Hi All,

Does anyone have any predictions or advice for company? His report from March was so harsh I want to be sure I cover enough to not get stuck having a go at dividends or another question he hasn't asked since before 2013!

Thank you :-)

I saw a You Tube Channel that talks about the FE 1 put up a video on the last company paper. Law Hero on You Tube might be a small help.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

Daly29 wrote: »
    I saw a You Tube Channel that talks about the FE 1 put up a video on the last company paper. Law Hero on You Tube might be a small help.

Oh great I'll have a look at that thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CMUL

When or how do you get your student number for the first time sitting exams?

• Advertisement

CMUL wrote: »
    When or how do you get your student number for the first time sitting exams?

I think I’ve heard it’s in the 2 weeks before the first exam

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Olliepollie

To my consititutional sitters:

Does anyone have any idea of what personal rights don't generally come up? Anything to cut for be MASSIVELY appreciated!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Smiley283

Would anyone be willing to exchange EU notes with me?

I have notes on property, contract, criminal and equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

When are people starting to learn stuff off? Should I be starting now?

So far I have just done out notes and been reading them over to get familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

EU

What do people think about studying services & establishment? Considering they're so rare and services came up in October 2018?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sbbyrne

Hey!

Does anyone have any notes on Mortgages for Property that they'd be willing to share? I have notes on the other Subjects I can share!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

Does anyone have recent sample answers for EU? i.e. general principles, etc.?

I have a lot of materials I can swap in return if anyone wants to PM me.

I tried to start learning but the motivation is rough. But it’s like I can’t do the exam qs unless I at least try memorise some stuff first. So that’s my plan

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

COMPANY

Any predictions guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PuffleHuffLyra

Hi.

Is anyone willing to share recent, up-to-date EU or Equity grids / sample answers?

Hope the study is going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

Anyone able to breakdown mortgages for me? Having a mental block with them

holliek wrote: »
    Anyone able to breakdown mortgages for me? Having a mental block with them

I'll give it a go, good revision for myself.

Creation of mortgages is really confusing because there are so many different factors.

They are Split into Unregistered Land and Registered/Pre and Post LCLRA/Legal and Equitable.

Unregistered - Pre 2009 Legal Mortgage = Convey fee simple or demise (borrower grants lease to lender)
    Post 2009 Legal = Charge
    Equitable = Deposit title deeds is the main way

Registered - Only done by charge
    Equitable = Rare, land certificates were abolished, deposit of title deeds with an agreement to enter into a charge.

Then you have Powers of Mortgagees.

Mainly - Possession, Power of Sale and Power to appoint receiver. Foreclosure and consolidation in disuse.

Again, the mechanism is different depending on if the mortgage came into effect pre or post LCLRA. Pre 2009 - S.62(7) Registration of Title Act 1964 for Possession and S.19 Conveyancing Act 1881 for Power of Sale.

Post - Possession is S.97(1) and Power of Sale is S.100 LCLRA.

Powers of Mortgagor
    Right of Possession, equity of redemption are the main ones. Also penalty clauses generally aren't allowed unless commercial.

Also know about Start Mortgages v Gunn and Land and Conveyancing Reform Act 2013 which corrected the problem brought up there. Means that pre-2009 powers are still in place for mortgages which came into effect pre-2009.

Hope that helps, hopefully it doesn't confuse you even more!!

Topics covered so far for Tort:

Land Torts
    Trespass to Person
    DOC/SOC/Causation/Remoteness
    Vicarious Liability
    Occupiers Liability
    Res Ipsa
    Damages
    Liability for Animals/Fire
    Limitations
    Concurrent Wrongdoers
    Remedies
    Passing Off
    Nervous Shock
    Pure Economic Loss/Negligent Misstatement
    Defective Products
    Fatal Injuries

Is this enough? Any I should add? Only big topics I have left out are Defamation and Professionals because they both came up last year and I don't like them but the paper is so unpredictable I'm worried about leaving anything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Topics covered so far for Tort:

Land Torts
    Trespass to Person
    DOC/SOC/Causation/Remoteness
    Vicarious Liability
    Occupiers Liability
    Res Ipsa
    Damages
    Liability for Animals/Fire
    Limitations
    Concurrent Wrongdoers
    Remedies
    Passing Off
    Nervous Shock
    Pure Economic Loss/Negligent Misstatement
    Defective Products
    Fatal Injuries

Is this enough? Any I should add? Only big topics I have left out are Defamation and Professionals because they both came up last year and I don't like them but the paper is so unpredictable I'm worried about leaving anything out.

I think you should be covered with what you have, but equally defamation does come up nearly every year and professionals is quite popular too. Would you consider swapping one of those for something less popular like liability for fire/ animals? (I know it’s easy to learn but rare enough). That being said it may be due a run! So hard to know.

I sat it in March there, having cutting defamation but had done professional. Was glad I did as only had 5 Qs but that was a stinker of a paper, he was throwing in questions on the nature and function of tort, so I think you should be due a much nicer paper

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JohnsKite

I plan to start proper rote around the 20th. Doing one or two random cards each day until then, just to keep my memory fresh. But I doubt much from now will stick until october.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CiaranS93

niamh1612 wrote: »
    Working full time at the moment so Im trying to limit the amount of material a much as i possibly can. Could anyone advise me if im missing anything absolutely vital, I know im probably taking a gamble with this amount of topics:
    Equity: Injunctions, Note Q(all previous notes learned), Ch and Non Ch trusts, 3 certainties, Undue Influence, Prop. Estop
    Land: Succession, AP, Co ownership, Finding, Easements

Literally doing the exact same so hoping that the paper is kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CiaraND16

niamh1612 wrote: »
    Working full time at the moment so Im trying to limit the amount of material a much as i possibly can. Could anyone advise me if im missing anything absolutely vital, I know im probably taking a gamble with this amount of topics:
    Equity: Injunctions, Note Q(all previous notes learned), Ch and Non Ch trusts, 3 certainties, Undue Influence, Prop. Estop
    Land: Succession, AP, Co ownership, Finding, Easements

I've just started equity, does that mean you're not doing any other trusts? Ie. Resulting, constructive, express, secret etc?

Really not sure how many topics to study for equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CiaraND16

DUMSURFER wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Really getting tangled up in the papers at the moment and have sadly wasted most of the day on this question... Every time I think I finally got it, I find out some other piece of information that catches me. Would anyone possibly have a sample answer to:

- Q1 in the October 2016 paper; or
    - Q1 in the Spring 2019 paper.

Not sure if my brain has stopped working today or if it is genuinely this confusing but any help is appreciated with it. And I'm more then willing to reciprocate any bit of help!

Just Pm'd you

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mariussulla1977

Be honest guys.....is it too late to start studying for 3 exams at this stage?
    Was hoping to do Property, Criminal, Contract. To at least get some exams on the board.

I am off work at the mo so have hours during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Was hoping to do Property, Criminal, Contract. To at least get some exams on the board.

Have you registered to sit them?

Do you have notes for them?

Definitely not too late imo

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Is delay in sex abuse cases ever asked in constitutional? Haven’t seen any and would like to leave it out if possible.

Is delay in sex abuse cases ever asked in constitutional? Haven’t seen any and would like to leave it out if possible.

I could be wrong, must go back to Constitutional next week but the only time I remember it coming was in March 2013, a problem question around a sexual assault case that there was a delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mr. JD

Hiya,

Could anyone describe the difference between nervous shock and Intentional infliction of Emotional Suffering within Trespass to the Person?

Thank you!!

• Advertisement

Nervous shock is not a tort in the way that intentional infliction of emotional distress is. Nervous shock is a condition that may be a result of a tort (wrong) but it is not a wrong itself.

So any given question can be about one or both the tort of intentional infliction of emotional distress and nervous shock.

Conflating the two concepts would cause confusion. I will try and clarify by reference to more accessible torts and conditions.

Take the tort of negligence. The wrong is the negligent act or omission that gives rise to loss, injury, damage etc. A straightforward example is concussion suffered as a result of being rear-ended in a car crash. The tort or wrong is the negligent driving (failing to stop, driving at an excessive speed, failure to keep a proper look out etc.) The loss, injury, damage is the concussion.

In an intentional infliction of emotional distress case, the tort is the intentional or reckless infliction of emotional distress and the loss, injury, damage etc. might be nervous shock. So to continue with a road traffic scenario by way of analogy, if someone drives so erratically and in such a dangerous way as to give other road users such a fright that one or more of them develop nervous shock, for example, an out of control driver mounting a footpath at a busy bus stop but miraculously failing to hit any pedestrians might still cause loss or damage to people at the bus stop from their wrongdoing. This may be held to be the tort of intentional infliction of emotional distress and some of the rather fortunate unfortunates at the bus stop may develop nervous shock and have a case against the driver of the vehicle.

Hopefully this person's breakdown is a little help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement