Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Leraf wrote: »
    Has there been anymore thoughts about setting up a google group for the October sitting or will the old one be still active?

We should just be able to restart that one if we get new members in

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Thanks, I have sent a request to join, which I hope is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any experience with getting an exam re-checked? I got 2 out of 3 this time around and missed out on company by 7%. Just want to know is there much chance of being brought up as 7% is quite a lot.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fe1 2017

Right lads I've the four (in my opinion) nastier ones left - EU, company, tort and constitutional. I'm planning on doing them in twos over the next two sittings.

Any opinions on which ones would be handy to do together? Or is it just down to my own preference? Looking at next sittings timetable they're all close together :/

I would recommend doing as many as you can next sitting. You have so much time and a lot of it comes down to getting a nice paper. At least that way you'd have March if you have any remaining. I split mine and in hindsight wished I had done more last October as the March eu paper was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

BASHBAG wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Does anyone have any experience with getting an exam re-checked? I got 2 out of 3 this time around and missed out on company by 7%. Just want to know is there much chance of being brought up as 7% is quite a lot.

Thanks

I got brought up from 43% to 50 in Company last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

vid36 wrote: »
    I got brought up from 43% to 50 in Company last year.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose it's worth a shot then.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Anybody any idea how long it is until the Examiners Reports are available? I really want to have a look at the Contract report before I bother submitting the recheck fee!

smeal wrote: »
    Anybody any idea how long it is until the Examiners Reports are available? I really want to have a look at the Contract report before I bother submitting the recheck fee!

They usually take a good while. I'm pretty sure the one from the October sitting came out in January or maybe later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Yoop_

It was the start of February when the reports from October 2016 were available. I think they wait until the rechecks and all are done so they have their percentage of passes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

Does anyone know when the September/October timetable will be released?

• Advertisement

ally1234 wrote: »

It's on the bottom of the results letter.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

ally1234 wrote: »

Tuesday 03 October Tort
    Wednesday 04 October Company Law
    Thursday 05 October Constitutional Law
    Friday 06 October EU Law
    Monday 09 October Criminal Law
    Tuesday 10 October Property
    Wednesday 11 October Contract Law
    Thursday 12 October Equity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Pure balls of a timetable for me personally with the four I've left being the first four :pac: I was thinking about people's suggestion to do three but with the way the timetable is I don't think I will.. I had two in a row when I did my first lot and I swore never again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CP92

Hey guys, I got the dreaded 2/3 with Equity coming in at 43%. Does anyone know if it is worth it getting a recheck done with Equity?

Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭claiomh solais

Pure balls of a timetable for me personally with the four I've left being the first four :pac: I was thinking about people's suggestion to do three but with the way the timetable is I don't think I will.. I had two in a row when I did my first lot and I swore never again!

I did three in a row back in October! It was awful but I passed all three so it is possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

CP92 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I got the dreaded 2/3 with Equity coming in at 43%. Does anyone know if it is worth it getting a recheck done with Equity?

Thank you! :)

I got a 44 in equity rechecked and my grade didn't change :/

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lindyloo 1

Anyone have experience of a tort recheck?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 graduate555

Fair enough. I had two lots of two in a row, my best by far were the ones I had one night to study for, but it depends on how organized you are in advance.

Mod - comments deleted
    Pls, no comments on marking of various subjects.
    Examiners are people too

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Has anyone successfully pursued a recheck? Passed 3 of the 4 last week, with only 42% in Equity. I have 2 more sittings to pass the others but feel I don't deserve a fail as I (think) the exam went ok. Anyways, 115 is a bit saucy to recheck. Am I wasting my money!?

I'd sit them all and have your second sit as a back-up. A lot of work but start in June, few hours a week per subject and increase it.
    Company is tricky. I have 4 left - EU, Constitution, Tort and Contract. I'll sit all in Oct despite not doing the latter 3 since 1st yr UCC

• Advertisement

I completely agree with the above comments. These exams are a joke. How many sit these exams in each sitting and how many places are in blackhall each year?

I just failed what I thought was my final exam. It was my third attempt and I studied 8 hours a day everyday for this giving it 100%. I answered five questions well, having passed the other seven I think I know what is needed to pass these exams.

I have a law degree and masters. I got a 1.1 in my degree. I can honestly say the times I sat EU and constitutional I hadn't spent as much time studying them as I had Tort and Contract, I wasn't even too sure what I was being asked or what topic a question was about. I gave it my best shot and by some complete fluke I managed to pass. I failed the ones I had studied more for. How does that make any sense?

I feel I know tort better than any other subject, by far, I did two revision courses and studied like crazy for these. I now failed on third attempt. I thought I did well and got 45??????? FOURTY FIVE!!!!!!!

It makes absolute no sense to me and i am FUMING. It feels like some kind of sick joke. I woke up this morning and it hit me first thing.

I just lost a training contract and the chance of going to blackhall this year. After spending the last three years studying for these exams putting a huge amount of time and effort and a huge amount of money It is devastating to be coming away unemployed, no training contract, no blackhall again and just debt from these exams. Telling friends and family is the icing in the cake.

I am 30 years of age and I don't see the point in continuing now that I have lost my training contract and taking into account I did everything in my power to pass this time and i have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I have my other seven passed some time ago. I think I will have to look for legal Secretary work now and give up on my goal of becoming a solicitor.

Would anybody be up for taking this further? Demanding transparency? Be given the opportunity to view our papers before a recheck? Much clearer examiner reports.or request some information on what exactly happens in the grading process. I am so angry at all the time and money I wasted for nothing and all the stress its caused me.

We need some answers!!!!!!

Get your appeal paper in by Friday!! I failed Equity, knowing if I answered like I did in Uni I would have gotten a 1.1 in the exam. The fact to check a paper is 115 vs 105 to sit it (incl grading/ red cow/ staff etc) speaks volumes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

what would people consider the easiest subjects v the hardest?
    not sure who tto choose which to sit first

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

yournerd wrote: »

Property - not alot to cover, Succession Law nearly always examined over two questions

Criminal - straight forward legal principles and easy to identify what being asked in exam questions

Have you a law degree? I can only give you my opinion from that pov.....
    Pick 4 (1 as a safety net). So 2 'hard' and 2 'easy'. None are easy. It's all subjective though.
    I would suggest Equity and Contract as they overlap, with Constitutional and Criminal. Mix of easy/hard imho.

Mod
    Sorry as already asked please do not post any comparisons between examiners

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Has anybody had any successful experience having Contract remarked? I've been on this thread a while now and don't think I remember seeing anyone having a Contract a paper go up

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Louisekeegan

New to the board, just finished my finals! Starting studying for fe1s-company, contract and equity. Any study tips would be greatly appreciated 😀

New to the board, just finished my finals! Starting studying for fe1s-company, contract and equity. Any study tips would be greatly appreciated 😀

Congrats on finishing! My tips would be overall dont get bogged down with detail - main principles of the cases only.

Study the whole contract course, cut out max one small topic. One q can examine maybe 3 topics. Also, make sure you know how each topic relates to the other topics - i think this is where a lot of people make mistakes. E.g. the remedy for a breach depends on the type of term/obligation. Helps to make a flow chart of the topics.

Spot cross-overs between contract and equity to cut down on workload - e.g. Estoppel. Look at past questions, as there are some topics they just don't examine.

Company - buy the act!

Overall, width of knowledge rather than depth is most important. Dont learn huge case summaries or quotes, you wont have time to write about them. The manuals have way, way too much detail in some instances, though they are good for getting an understanding

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Louisekeegan

Thank you so much it is daunting knowing where to start as I work full time and a family but i will persevere

• Advertisement

Thank you so much it is daunting knowing where to start as I work full time and a family but i will persevere

You'll be fine! Just keep your notes short and in good order and start to learn them off a week or so in advance - I personally just rewrite them til i know them off. Good luck, it will be worth it!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement