Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Anyone else have no idea where to stay? 150 p/n in the Red Cow..

The Alex hotel was cheap when i booked.

I have a night before constutitional im not using if anyone wants it. i prepaid it months ago, its 60 room only.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Coleman101

Hi Guys, does anyone know what topics came up on contract paper in March 2019? Would appreciate it, thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Anyone else panicking yet? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Olliepollie

If multiple breakdowns a day constitute panicking, then yes... most certainly yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

Yes! Currently at the ‘I don’t know ANYTHING’ stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

Ibis hotel is also a good option within walking distance of the Red Cow

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Amanda226

Are people covering freedom of establishment and freedom of services for EU? Or are people just covering FMOG and FMOW , which ones usually comes up? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Insta92

What is everyone planning on covering for the Constitution? The syllabus in comparison to the other modules is ridiculous. Appears SOP, unenumerated right and trial in due of course law are popular with the examiner.

I am sitting Equity and Property as well so these are my last three.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

In Equity, there is a problem question in October 2016 Q2 (person who worked on farm for 30 years, and farm owner dies intestate.) The examiner report refers to it as being on promissory estoppel. From what I can see it is on proprietary estoppel not promissory . Did anyone else see this in the examiner report and is it a typo? It is a popular problem question and I wouldn’t be surprised if it came up again so was hoping someone might be able to confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Only starting to learn now and sitting 5! 😩

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ucdlaw_2018

Daly29 wrote: »
    In Equity, there is a problem question in October 2016 Q2 (person who worked on farm for 30 years, and farm owner dies intestate.) The examiner report refers to it as being on promissory estoppel. From what I can see it is not on proprietary estoppel not promissory . Did anyone else see this in the examiner report and is it a typo? It is a popular problem question and I wouldn’t be surprised if it came up again so was hoping someone might be able to confirm

Same thing happened me. I actually asked my college lecturer who is external examiner and she said it seems that it appears to be a typo and should say proprietary. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

Same thing happened me. I actually asked my college lecturer who is external examiner and she said it seems that it appears to be a typo and should say proprietary. Hope that helps!

Thank you, it sure does! Ya I was pretty sure it was a typo. The question repeats itself a few times too and he refers to proprietary in the other reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Would it be possible to get all 8 exams in one sitting? I am off work till next year and was thinking of doing all 8. Am I crazy?

Relatively crazy!!
    The work involved for some subjects is demanding.
    I know of one person who tried this approach and regretted it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sbbyrne

The panic is fully setting in, breakdown #1 happened last night, at least most of us are in the same boat!

Speaking of, I cant get my head around Easements and was going to leave it out but after seeing comments on this, I think it's probably not the best idea.

I don't know if its my own notes or what, but if someone would be willing to share theirs I'd be so grateful. I have notes I can share and papers for some subjects. SOS

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

user115 wrote: »
    Company Law:

Do you think I would be covered with just doing the following:
    - Directors
    -Restriction and disq
    -Corporate borrowing
    -Share transfer
    -Receivership
    -SLP
    -Types of co ltd, dac
    - Corporate governance
    -Shareholder remedies

I've covered exactly the same... interested to know if anyone would add to this

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

jus_me wrote: »

Personally would add in main reforms of CA14 because it’s essentially pulling a paragraph from other topics, then I’m also doing corporate authority because it’s due a run and a really lovely Q when it comes up. Also fraudulent and reckless trading is nice easy to spot he usually asks for it directly and only a few cases. Also not sure if was in your list but corporate governance is quite easy to learn once again not many cases and in my opinion could only really be asked a straightforward essay.

I’m sure you’re fine with what you have but just if you want anything else they’re quite nice and quick to learn in my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

Thoughts on not preparing for EU / Constitutional case note questions?

jus_me wrote: »

Personally would add in main reforms of CA14 because it’s essentially pulling a paragraph from other topics, then I’m also doing corporate authority because it’s due a run and a really lovely Q when it comes up. Also fraudulent and reckless trading is nice easy to spot he usually asks for it directly and only a few cases. Also not sure if was in your list but corporate governance is quite easy to learn once again not many cases and in my opinion could only really be asked a straightforward essay.

I’m sure you’re fine with what you have but just if you want anything else they’re quite nice and quick to learn in my opinion :)

Can anyone shed some light on the interaction between 101/2 and 106? I get that the state putting an undertaking in a dominant position is an automatic 102, but where does 101 fit in? Also in a Q about the 3 of them his marking scheme seems to suggest he wants a full overview of how 101/2 can be breached, then go into 106(1) and (2) - is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭niamh1612

sbbyrne wrote: »
    The panic is fully setting in, breakdown #1 happened last night, at least most of us are in the same boat!

Speaking of, I cant get my head around Easements and was going to leave it out but after seeing comments on this, I think it's probably not the best idea.

I don't know if its my own notes or what, but if someone would be willing to share theirs I'd be so grateful. I have notes I can share and papers for some subjects. SOS

Im feeling exactly the same about Easements, I dont think its particularly difficult I just found it extremely dull and boring so I cant seem to concentrate on it! I wouldnt leave it out though I think it could come up, Power through :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Ya doing corporate gov and CA 2014 aswell. Im gona leave out corporate auth cause it was up last 2 sittings and normally its every second sitting. I think so anyway corporate auth is ultra vires isn't it? I was looking at past papers last night and I think I should be okay, some papers of his are totally fine and others are just plain awful, really hope with last year being a really odd paper this sitting will be okay......(well I hope anyway!!)

sbbyrne wrote: »

If you google it, mason hayes and Curran have this handy PowerPoint on what an easement is and how it’s described, I found that handy to just like learn about it without all the cases and then go back and learn them once i understood it, rather than trying to do both at the same time in the way I would for other topics

Anyone selling companies act 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sbbyrne

niamh1612 wrote: »
    Im feeling exactly the same about Easements, I dont think its particularly difficult I just found it extremely dull and boring so I cant seem to concentrate on it! I wouldnt leave it out though I think it could come up, Power through :D

I actually just spent the morning with my head down and it's actually not bad at all. I started from scratch again and used law firm articles to understand it and feel much better about now! We've got this! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ucdlaw_2018

What is corporate governance ? My manual has different headings so not sure if I covered it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

What is everyone actually doing for these last 2 weeks? This is my first time sitting the exams. I had my notes done relatively early but only really started to cram last week. Every day is the same I’m just cramming and reading the papers...am I missing out on some crucial steps? Feel like absolutely nothing is going into my head despite spending hours on learning.

Ya doing corporate gov and CA 2014 aswell. Im gona leave out corporate auth cause it was up last 2 sittings and normally its every second sitting. I think so anyway corporate auth is ultra vires isn't it? I was looking at past papers last night and I think I should be okay, some papers of his are totally fine and others are just plain awful, really hope with last year being a really odd paper this sitting will be okay......(well I hope anyway!!)

Hey, not sure what grid you're looking at and I may be wrong but looking at the paper and the marking scheme corporate authority wasn't up last sitting, and it's only come up once in October 2018 as an essay. Corporate authority refers to an agents ability to bind the company - ostensible authority, actual, etc (came up as Q3 in Autumn 2018). So corporate authority refers to people entering into agreements for the company, because while it is a legal person it obviously can't itself. Really lovely question in my opinion, and even if it was a problem Q would just be applying the cases

Then ultra vires is more the company acting outside of it's power and is a totally separate topic (I think). That was up last sitting, don't think I'm going to spend too long on it but it is a paragraph in my 5 main reforms of CA14, so probably no more than that.

Yeah last paper was a stinker and I think that was reflected in the pass rate for sure - lowest it's been in years. Fingers crossed we're due something a bit kinder!

What is corporate governance ? My manual has different headings so not sure if I covered it haha

Corporate governance refers to s158 about how business is managed by directors, unless constitution states otherwise. Courtney (our examiner) has written quite a bit on it so I think that's why it's featured as a question before despite being in my opinion quite a specific question (Spring 2016, Q6).

He can also ask it with regards to meetings - members meetings, written resolutions and estoppel. He asked it once like that, can't remember the year off the top of my head.

Handy enough Q as really are the only 2 above ways he can ask it, not a massive amount of cases for either. Think it's under members meetings in some books, not sure.

Hope that helps :)

Hey, not sure what grid you're looking at and I may be wrong but looking at the paper and the marking scheme corporate authority wasn't up last sitting, and it's only come up once in October 2018 as an essay. Corporate authority refers to an agents ability to bind the company - ostensible authority, actual, etc (came up as Q3 in Autumn 2018). So corporate authority refers to people entering into agreements for the company, because while it is a legal person it obviously can't itself. Really lovely question in my opinion, and even if it was a problem Q would just be applying the cases

Then ultra vires is more the company acting outside of it's power and is a totally separate topic (I think). That was up last sitting, don't think I'm going to spend too long on it but it is a paragraph in my 5 main reforms of CA14, so probably no more than that.

Yeah last paper was a stinker and I think that was reflected in the pass rate for sure - lowest it's been in years. Fingers crossed we're due something a bit kinder!

Thanks so much for explaining that :) ultra vires wasn't on my grid as stand alone topic so I just presumed it was corporate auth without actually looking at it, good to know now. Might have a look at corporate auth if I've time, doubt il have time though, going to leave myself a whole 5 days to revise tort hopefully doesn't take that long!! :/

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for explaining that :) ultra vires wasn't on my grid as stand alone topic so I just presumed it was corporate auth without actually looking at it, good to know now. Might have a look at corporate auth if I've time, doubt il have time though, going to leave myself a whole 5 days to revise tort hopefully doesn't take that long!! :/

Don’t stress! Tort you’re also due a kind paper after the absolute stinker we got landed in March there, so you should have a lovely first week :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement