Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

steveeq wrote: »
    Hi guys, and lawgirl.

Just wondering does anybody have anything on this.

Really feel it'll be the 'general principles' question in a couple of weeks time.

Panic mode setting in.

Messaged you!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ahhhhhFE1s

steveeq wrote: »
    Hi guys, and lawgirl.

Just wondering does anybody have anything on this.

Really feel it'll be the 'general principles' question in a couple of weeks time.

Panic mode setting in.

Ya I am a little concerned what are the general principles? I have some notes on equivalence and effectiveness that I feel might be relevant to the above but not sure if that's under general principles??

At the moment from what I understand the principles include fundamental human rights, equality/non-discrimination, legal certainty, legitimate expectation, conferral, subsidiarity, proportionality, transparency, supremacy and possibly equivalence and effectiveness? Anything obvious to leave out in that list?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Olliepollie

lawDani wrote: »
    Oh my god amazing thank you. I’m actually leaving out much of those too bad mortgages. The notes I have are on that topic are excellent so it could be my best question.

Are you sitting contract and/or criminal?

No I sat both of those last sitting! Criminal you'll fly, I walked out of criminal in tears and it ended up being my highest result! Contract is it's own kettle of fish but totally doable!

I'm sitting company, Con Law, EU and property... given myself a real mountain to climb :( haha

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭20082014

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with company, corporate borrowing and the case of Smith v Bridgend?

I can't get my head around this chapter and any info would be a great help

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18 GF612

20082014 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone can help me out with company, corporate borrowing and the case of Smith v Bridgend?

I can't get my head around this chapter and any info would be a great help

Thanks

This is what I have for that case in my notes:

Smith v. Bridgend County Borough Council (2002) EWCA
    Pl. was the administrator of Cosslet Construction – Cosslet were hired by the Def. County Council to carry out works…
    Cosslet received an advanced payment from the Def. in respect of the works. As security for that payment, the building contract stated that all “plant” (i.e. machinery) owned by Cosslet would be deemed the property of the Def. while on site, and that this could be sold by the Def. local authority at any time to satisfy the advanced payment made (in case of default).
    The relationship broke down and Def. secured the services of another construction company to finish the works. The Def. sought to use the “Plant” (machinery) with that other contractor.
    The Pl. brought an action to prevent this.

HELD – Millett LJ
    Legal Ownership in the ‘Plant’ did not pass from Cosslet to the Def., rather, the contract created an equitable charge (i.e. floating charge):

“…the essence of a floating charge is that it is a charge not on any particular asset, but on a fluctuating body of assets which remain under the management and control of the chargor and which the chargor has the right to withdraw from the security despite the existence of the charge…

…the essence of a fixed charge is that the charge is on a particular asset or class of assets which the charger cannot deal with without the consent of the chargee…”

The Property which was subject to the charge was a fluctuating body of assets which could be brought to, or removed from, the site in the ordinary course of business by the Chargor (Pl.). Therefore the charge was a Floating Charge.

Thus, the Chargee in this case (the Def.) was not in control of the assets because it was a floating charge and could not put them to the use which it did.

I hope that helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 legaltraineex

Does anyone have the spring property law exam paper/ examiner's report?

I just want to see if the structure has changed much since the examiner has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I just want to see if the structure has changed much since the examiner has changed.

Could be wrong but I think the examiner only changed for one sitting, usual examiner was back for spring AFAIK

When it did change the exam format stayed pretty much the same

• Registered Users Posts: 28 legaltraineex

Could be wrong but I think the examiner only changed for one sitting, usual examiner was back for spring AFAIK

I actually noticed that just after I posted, Dr. Parkes is the examiner in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

The examiner only changed for one sitting which was Spring 2018. It went back to the previous examiner in Oct 2018

I actually noticed that just after I posted, Dr. Parkes is the examiner in that case?

Correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Hi guys,

Just wondering what we are permitted to bring into the property exam and where the best place is to get the material is?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

No I sat both of those last sitting! Criminal you'll fly, I walked out of criminal in tears and it ended up being my highest result! Contract is it's own kettle of fish but totally doable!

I'm sitting company, Con Law, EU and property... given myself a real mountain to climb :( haha

Oh that’s a mountain alright but Everest has been climbed many times! I think I’d sit EU And Con. separately.
    For contract I’ve an ok grasp on the content it’s just important cases now to cram. Criminal is ok too but like contract I’m unsure what to leave out at this stage ..?!
    And I’m sorry I have no clue on the other three your sitting to offer any help / advise but I’m sure you’ve them covered enough

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭niamh1612

Don't have any notes to send as they are written out but I find it easiest to split easements into parts:

1. Characteristics - As per Re Ellenborough Park, every easement needs to have these 4 characteristics. My manual also had 2 extra requirements - Must not overly infringe on the servient owners rights and should not contravene with public policy.

2. Acquisition - I find this the most confusing part. There are 5 headings in which easements can be granted with some sub headings. Express grant, reservation, implication (most important part to know here is easement by necessity), estoppel and prescription (most important section to know statutory prescription).

3. Types - I have some general info on the common types, Right of Way, Right to Support (and Protection from wind and weather), Right to Light.

4. Discharge - Small section, 3 ways - Staute, operation of law, release

If there is any specific part you're struggling with just let me know and I will try to help!
    That does help a lot, thanks a million!!

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just wondering what we are permitted to bring into the property exam and where the best place is to get the material is?

Thanks!

You can bring in the LCLRA and the Succession Act.

You have to order them off the government publications office (I think that's the name, not 100%) then they post them out. I would do so asap as it can take a couple days!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Olliepollie

lawDani wrote: »
    Oh that’s a mountain alright but Everest has been climbed many times! I think I’d sit EU And Con. separately.
    For contract I’ve an ok grasp on the content it’s just important cases now to cram. Criminal is ok too but like contract I’m unsure what to leave out at this stage ..?!
    And I’m sorry I have no clue on the other three your sitting to offer any help / advise but I’m sure you’ve them covered enough

Defo sit EU and Constitutional separately!

PSA TO ALL SITTERS: Sit EU and Constitutional separately! Hahaha

I know its a bit late to be figuring out the logistics but are the exams being held in the Red Cow hotel this year? And if they are is it hard to get there from O'Connell street? I know with traffic at that time it would take ages in a taxi.
    Im not from Dublin so im freaking out ill get lost and be late!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

niamh1612 wrote: »
    I know its a bit late to be figuring out the logistics but are the exams being held in the Red Cow hotel this year? And if they are is it hard to get there from O'Connell street? I know with traffic at that time it would take ages in a taxi.
    Im not from Dublin so im freaking out ill get lost and be late!

Get the red luas line, it goes basically from O'Connell st and stops at the red cow. Not sure time length but definitely the handiest way to get there

holliek wrote: »
    Get the red luas line, it goes basically from O'Connell st and stops at the red cow. Not sure time length but definitely the handiest way to get there
    thank you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sbbyrne

niamh1612 wrote: »
    thank you!!!

I always get the red line luas. Go from Abbey st (just off O Connell) and aim to be on the luas around 7:45 ish just in case. It takes about 40 mins on the luas and about 5 to get over from the luas stop at the red cow to the actual hotel. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mcgreee

*Company*

Thoughts on the chances of Capital Maintenance coming up? Been up two years in a row, not sure that he'd throw it in for a third.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Property: succession, AP, Licences, Finding, Land reg essay, Easements, Family home, Co-ownership covered for property, I am panicking in that i dont have enough

channing90 wrote: »
    Property: succession, AP, Licences, Finding, Land reg essay, Easements, Family home, Co-ownership covered for property, I am panicking in that i dont have enough
    You have loads!! Im doing yours minus family home and licences.

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks!

I have a spare successions act if you want it!

mcgreee wrote: »
    *Company*

Thoughts on the chances of Capital Maintenance coming up? Been up two years in a row, not sure that he'd throw it in for a third.

I’m leaving it out - personally think unlikely to be up third year in a row and it’s too difficult to give a lot of time to with that in mind. If was due a run I probably would have

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

I’m leaving it out - personally think unlikely to be up third year in a row and it’s too difficult to give a lot of time to with that in mind. If was due a run I probably would have

@Lawgirl - what are you covering for company?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mountaingoat97

mcgreee wrote: »
    *Company*

Cant see distributions coming up again although its not a difficult topic so might be worth taking a few cases.

My predictions for Company are:

Q1. SLP
    Q2. Directors duties (owed to creditors or shareholders)
    Q3. 1 of Meetings, Corporate gov (when members can intervene) or Capacity (Ostensible Authority)
    Q4. Charges (probably in the form of Book debts or ROT clauses or both, maybe on registration but hopefully not)
    Q5. Share Transfer (Board refusing to register new members)
    Q6. Part A Reckless Trading + Part B Fraudulent Trading (this is a long shot but I have a funny feeling lol)
    Q7. Duties owed by a receiver
    Q8. Legislative question on either SAP or Optional Provisions/Table A+C

I am willing to be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Con1234567

Does anyone have exam papers for Tort for the last 3 sittings (both 2018 and March of this year), would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

jus_me wrote: »
    @Lawgirl - what are you covering for company?

I am covering:

SLP
    Consequences of incorporation
    Main reforms of CA14
    Restriction and disqualification
    Distribution of assets on wiring up
    Corporate governance
    Share transfer
    Corporate borrowing - ROT, fixed v floating, priority, books debts
    Directors duties
    Corporate authority
    Oppression
    Advantages of incorporation
    Winding up
    SAP
    Fraudulent and reckless trading
    Receivership
    Ultra vires

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭20082014

Hi,

i am wondering if someone can help me in relation to the order of payments to creditors upon liquidation

From my notes I have:
    Super preferential creditors (unpaid employee wages, witheld taxes)
    costs and expenses of liquidation
    preferential creditors (employee entitlements and unpaid taxes)
    floating charge holders
    unsecured creditors
    members and contributories

I feel like I am missing some - secured creditors, fixed charge holders?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

channing90 wrote: »

I have the same. With two questions on succession it’s perfect coverage to ensure another three.

What have people got for constitutional? That’s the one I’m worried about being unprepared for, I’ve got

Constitutional interpretation
    Judicial Review
    Separation of Powers
    38.1/Due Course of Law
    Personal Rights
    Property Rights
    Freedom of Expression, Assembly, Association
    Family & Education
    34.1 and Justice in Public
    Cabinet Confidentiality and Executive Privilege

Are there any predictions for constitutional?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement