Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

Are there any predictions for contract and criminal?

SOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JohnsKite

Hey, hope everyones panic levels are still manageable.

Would anyone be willing to pass on a tort and contract grid?

Also has promissory estoppel every come up on it's own in equity?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

20082014 wrote: »
    Hi,

i am wondering if someone can help me in relation to the order of payments to creditors upon liquidation

From my notes I have:
    Super preferential creditors (unpaid employee wages, witheld taxes)
    costs and expenses of liquidation
    preferential creditors (employee entitlements and unpaid taxes)
    floating charge holders
    unsecured creditors
    members and contributories

I feel like I am missing some - secured creditors, fixed charge holders?

These are preferential creditors.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Tort

On limitation of actions someone mentioned there were 2 cases this year, I had a search and could only find was 2018 one of Brandley relating to the SC decision on 2 houses in Galway. Was there other major decisions on limitation of actions this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Company

For Company are people bothering to learn Receivership?

Really want to leave it out as I've enough to do, but feel like it might come back to bite me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

For contract I have

Offer and acceptance
    Considerations
    Promissory estoppel
    Consumer protection
    Misrepresentation
    Mistake
    Remedies

Am i cutting this too short? Anything I should add to that list? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

mcgreee wrote: »
    *Company*

Thoughts on the chances of Capital Maintenance coming up? Been up two years in a row, not sure that he'd throw it in for a third.

Certainly hope not. Unless he was thoroughly dissatisfied with it last sitting maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Re receivership

I'm really thinking of leaving it out, if you look at the grids in terms of what comes up every year (rather than sitting) it's either receivership or examinership. It's not that often he will include both of them in a year.

I've been kind of looking a the grids in terms of what comes up in a year. I saw on this before both papers are drafted at start of the year and apparently the examiner doesn't know themselves which one will be up..... I suppose I would would take that with a grain of salt since it's not been confirmed. It kind of makes a bit of sense though when you look at the grids from that point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Sineaddh wrote: »
    For contract I have

Offer and acceptance
    Considerations
    Promissory estoppel
    Consumer protection
    Misrepresentation
    Mistake
    Remedies

Am i cutting this too short? Anything I should add to that list? :/

Exclusion Clauses and Discharge come pretty much every sitting and they will often be mixed in with another topic. E.g. you could get a Q that deals with Offer/Acceptance and Discharge.

I'd be wary of leaving them out being honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

holliek wrote: »
    Get the red luas line, it goes basically from O'Connell st and stops at the red cow. Not sure time length but definitely the handiest way to get there

Make sure you know another route just in case. I was caught last time at Heuston when luas had some fault, luckily I was able to get the Lucan bus from Parkgate St and was able to get there on time. Get the luas app and check for news/update in the morning in case there are any delays etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

Exclusion Clauses and Discharge come pretty much every sitting and they will often be mixed in with another topic. E.g. you could get a Q that deals with Offer/Acceptance and Discharge.

I'd be wary of leaving them out being honest!

Thanks so much! Felt a bit tight but wasn’t sure what else to add in! Hopefully that will be enough then :/

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Wonderstruck

JohnsKite wrote: »
    Hey, hope everyones panic levels are still manageable.

Would anyone be willing to pass on a tort and contract grid?

Also has promissory estoppel every come up on it's own in equity?

I think it came up Q1 Autumn 2018. Well it did when I sat it which I believe was Autumn 2018!

It was, as far as I recall a two parter, one on unconscionablility and I can't even remember the second part.

Does anyone actually know the liability of people under 18 commiting tortious acts? AFAIK the common law is that they don't have capacity, but I have suspicions it isn't that simple and I notice a lot of the past qs mention that people are 17 or "teenagers".

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

Constitutional

Would anyone be able to tell me what Q6 March 2015 is about? My grid says constitutional interpretation is that right? Is it asking for a summary of all the interpretations or one particular one? It's strangely worded and the report is useless so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Snakeydoogey

Hi,

Would anyone have any tips/hacks for Eu?

It's my last exam and I'm pretty overwhelmed by the sheer volume of it.

Not having any sample answers isn't helping either!

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Insta92

I’m covering the following for the Constitution:

Constitutional Interpretation
    Separation of Powers
    Art 40.3 Unenumerated rights
    Trial in Due Course of Law
    Religion and Education
    Family
    Property
    Freedom of Expression
    Equality
    Art 26

Really hoping that I get 5 questions from those topics. Sitting Property and Equity as well so trying to balance my time is hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sbbyrne

Is anyone else still waiting on their letter? I thought i'd have it by now.. I know the Law Soc is always late with them but i'm getting concerned now. I tried calling them yesterday but there was no answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

sbbyrne wrote: »
    Is anyone else still waiting on their letter? I thought i'd have it by now.. I know the Law Soc is always late with them but i'm getting concerned now. I tried calling them yesterday but there was no answer!

I got mine last week. I’ll call call them today if I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

Still waiting as well... Sent an email at the start of the week and got no reply. Rang yesterday and just rang there again and no one at the desk both times. Has anyone actually got a letter?

jewels652 wrote: »
    I got mine last week. I’ll call call them today if I was you.

Turns out it arrived at my home house rather than my Dublin address (even though i've changed it like 3 times - stressss) although panic over now!

DUMSURFER wrote: »
    Still waiting as well... Sent an email at the start of the week and got no reply. Rang yesterday and just rang there again and no one at the desk both times. Has anyone actually got a letter?

I got mine last week, pretty much the same time as my first sitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭supercreative

Does anyone have any tips for Q4 on the October 2018 EU paper? It's the one about Lola and her PhD, I'm getting more comfortable with these citizenship questions now but I'm not sure how to go about approaching this one - the fact that she's not an EU citizen makes me sort of unsure as to what rights she can benefit from.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

DUMSURFER wrote: »
    Anyone have an up-to-date Tort grid they could send on please.

Pretty please? Also the 2019 Spring exam paper would be fantastic as well! Got pretty much everything else one would want so can happily swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Equity

Can you do undue influence without recission? Is it examined together or separately?

Tía

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Does anyone have any tips for Q4 on the October 2018 EU paper? It's the one about Lola and her PhD, I'm getting more comfortable with these citizenship questions now but I'm not sure how to go about approaching this one - the fact that she's not an EU citizen makes me sort of unsure as to what rights she can benefit from.

I remember answering that and basically said she can derive rights from her partner if they got married. If I remember correctly, it indicates in the question they're serious and heading that direction anyway(so it wouldn't be telling her to marry him for these rights it would be a natural progression).

Hope that helps - I passed this EU exams and that's the direction I took (I hope I'm thinking of the right question if not disregard this haha)

Constitutional

Do you think I can cut anything from the obstacles to con challenge (locus standi, mootness, deference, pres of constitutionality, non-justiciability, effect of declarations of invalidity, constitutional lacunae and deferred declarations of unconstitutionality?)

Seriously don't think my brain has the capacity to learn off all their cases!

Any advice would be really helpful thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

I got mine but they didn't put my exam number on it.. the most important part!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 coalition

Company Law

Under s.228 of the CA 2014 a non-cash asset is of the requisite value if at the time the arrangement in question is entered into its value is not less than €5,000 but, subject to that, exceeds €65,000 or 10 per cent of the amount of the relevant company's relevant assets

does anyone know what this means exactly?

the value is more than 5,000 and exceeds 10% of the company's asset or is more than 65,000?

It's kind of confusing right?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Olliepollie

holliek wrote: »
    I got mine but they didn't put my exam number on it.. the most important part!

Omg that's so annoying! Did you get sorted?
    I had to ring them for something last week and it was only after me like 16 times and finally begging down the phone to the receptionist, did somebody from the Fe1 section actually pick up !

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

coalition wrote: »
    Company Law

Under s.228 of the CA 2014 a non-cash asset is of the requisite value if at the time the arrangement in question is entered into its value is not less than €5,000 but, subject to that, exceeds €65,000 or 10 per cent of the amount of the relevant company's relevant assets

does anyone know what this means exactly?

the value is more than 5,000 and exceeds 10% of the company's asset or is more than 65,000?

It's kind of confusing right?

Basically anything less than 5k is grand no matter the circumstances, no exceptions

Then if something is between 5k and 65k it has to exceed 10% of assets so say it’s 40k has to exceed 10%

Then once’s it’s over 65k doesn’t matter about assets

I think (corrections welcome)

• Advertisement

Omg that's so annoying! Did you get sorted?
    I had to ring them for something last week and it was only after me like 16 times and finally begging down the phone to the receptionist, did somebody from the Fe1 section actually pick up !

I had to ring and ask them to email me a scanned copy because they were so late sending it out last time, so if anyone's worried about them arriving on time maybe ask if they can do that!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement