Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    How annoying are the people on this who say stuff like:

"I've covered every topic, know 300 cases, know the statute word for word and have been studying for 75 years.. Do ye think that's enough? :////"

Weird flex but mmmk

yes, annoying alright.

i think cover what one can. its breath over depth. knowing legislation word for word is not something i am going to get caught up on as once youve the main gist of it and can apply it and back it up with a case. There is no need for a million cases either. once you have one to back up your point in PQ especially. loads of cases are more so needed for EQ I think.
    I am taking risks as to what I think is due and I am taking a broad stroke approach over the course. Also, as i HATE sexual offences i am covering it in a basic way and will avoid that Q if i can. not every single thing needs to be covered to pass but a broad stroke over alot is the way to go instead of getting bogged down in finer details of learning legislation verbatim.

NFOAP, defences (leading case if stuck for time and Leg for PQ), property, good idea of causation, recklessness, strict liability, omissions (1/2 of these will be on the paper in some way) and brush stroke over chapter 14.

in short

good idea of AR & MR
    property
    NFOAP
    bail, detention, right to sol, silence
    muder/mans
    defences -
    sexual

if nothing else was covered one would have a good stab at the paper in my opinion. nothing is a certainty when things are cut but if one was going to take a chance... go for it! all one needs is 50% , not a 66% and a halo to polish!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TillyG

Does anyone have the topics that were on the Property paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

I'm covering:

Sexual Offences
    Homicide
    Non-Fatal
    Property Offences
    Defences
    AR/MR
    Classifications/Characteristics
    Courts
    Bail/Arrest/Detention
    Right to Silence
    Presumption of Innocence

What are other people covering? I'm thinking the above should be enough but would like to hear others thoughts

Yeah I have something similar but leaving out courts.

What do you mean by classifications/characteristics?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JCreaghy

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    I'm covering:

Sexual Offences
    Homicide
    Non-Fatal
    Property Offences
    Defences
    AR/MR
    Classifications/Characteristics
    Courts
    Bail/Arrest/Detention
    Right to Silence
    Presumption of Innocence

What are other people covering? I'm thinking the above should be enough but would like to hear others thoughts

I would also like to know also! Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Jeremiah25 wrote: »

Classification is Minor/Non-Minor, Summary, Indictable etc
    Characteristics is the 5 characteristics of crime, as opposed to civil wrongs, laid down in Melling

They are usually chapter 1 in the manuals I think. They are really handy because you can cram them in a good 15 mins each.

Unfortunately classification came up last sitting and characteristics came up the sitting before so I think they are both unlikely this time :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Breacnua wrote: »
    in terms of equity you mean i take it ? not the contract exam?

Nope talking about the contract exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

It’s my first sitting and usually I’m fine in exams but have been finding the volume of information for these insane. I usually am happy enough if I can recite my topics well and can recall, but it’s soooo hard to recall everything for these, and it’s just never going to happen!

It’s my first sitting and usually I’m fine in exams but have been finding the volume of information for these insane. I usually am happy enough if I can recite my topics well and can recall, but it’s soooo hard to recall everything for these, and it’s just never going to happen!

Same! The amount that’s required to remember is overwhelming by times. You just have to do your best, I don’t find rote learning works. You have to be flexible with your approach to the questions and how you can make what you know apply to the questions. Kinda like in practice.

Nope talking about the contract exam.

I think promissory is much more likely going by past Qs

Breacnua wrote: »
    I think promissory is much more likely going by past Qs

I would agree but the city night before notes said that they didn’t think it would come up at all - which was my original point!

• Advertisement

TillyG wrote: »
    Does anyone have the topics that were on the Property paper?

This is off the top of my head

Q1. Was a general reform Q, something like assess if LCLRA has been successful or achieved its aims
    Q2. Mortgages
    Q3. Adverse Possession
    Q4. Part a - Commorientes. Part b - S.117
    Q5. Part a - Construction of Wills. Part b - Intestacy
    Q6. Residential Tenancies Act
    Q7. Easements
    Q8. Co-Ownership

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Contract -
    I am currently looking at Q1 March 2019 paper.
    When the question refers to someone offering something for free and the person accepts and then promises to pay. Is this counter offer? Or for a valid offer there must be consideration? I got caught up by that part of Q1 the last time. Can somepne please explain.

illy.m wrote: »
    Contract -
    I am currently looking at Q1 March 2019 paper.
    When the question refers to someone offering something for free and the person accepts and then promises to pay. Is this counter offer? Or for a valid offer there must be consideration? I got caught up by that part of Q1 the last time. Can somepne please explain.

It's the rule against past consideration

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

Spent the whole day checking my EU notes were decent enough to pass me, maybe they are now, maybe. Must run through Equity and Contract till the early hours (not really possible) and hope they are ready for rote learning day before the exam and hope when I pick up my Criminal notes tomorrow, they are good enough to be learnt off and get me a pass. This is the study equivalent of being water boarded for hours on end.

Daly29 wrote: »
    Spent the whole day checking my EU notes were decent enough to pass me, maybe they are now, maybe. Must run through Equity and Contract till the early hours (not really possible) and hope they are ready for rote learning day before the exam and hope when I pick up my Criminal notes tomorrow, they are good enough to be learnt off and get me a pass. This is the study equivalent of being water boarded for hours on end.

4 of these exams - back to back- is a hard fight!

Do your best. It is all you can do. Don't underestimate the power of sleep and keeping hydrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Daly29 wrote: »
    This is the study equivalent of being water boarded for hours on end.

This is probably one of the most enjoyable sentences I have ever read.

Do what you can in the present moment. Don't think about the future even if it's tomorrow. Take everything in the smallest blocks possible; it will help things to become more feasible. Study topics based on order of likelihood of them coming up on the exam.

This is probably one of the most enjoyable sentences I have ever read.

Do what you can in the present moment. Don't think about the future even if it's tomorrow. Take everything in the smallest blocks possible; it will help things to become more feasible. Study topics based on order of likelihood of them coming up on the exam.

very wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Olliepollie

EU Law:

In terms of direct effect how essential are the cases of Crotty and Pringle?

I've done the entire chapter and I just cant bring myself to do the last few pages where it talks about Crotty and Pringle.

Are they absolutely essential in answering a direct effect question?

This might be a stupid question but my brain is fried so please be kind haha

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Contract - can anyone recall the exam question which related to some artist (I think it was a band and she then left) not performing their duties - what topic does it relate to?

Also, the question where hotel price goes up due to some event in town. What topic is that?

Thank you!!!!

If anyone has an up to date contract grid that would make my life much easier. Would really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TillyG

Contract - can anyone recall the exam question which related to some artist (I think it was a band and she then left) not performing their duties - what topic does it relate to?

Also, the question where hotel price goes up due to some event in town. What topic is that?

Thank you!!!!

If anyone has an up to date contract grid that would make my life much easier. Would really appreciate it.

First one sounds like Spice Girls - Silence as Misrepresentation.
    Second possibly Frustration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Does anyone know where I could get some contract legislation Monday? OPW have been a disaster, ordered two weeks ago and nothing, not very helpful either

Does anyone know where I could get some contract legislation Monday? OPW have been a disaster, ordered two weeks ago and nothing, not very helpful either

check adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭supercreative

EU Law:

In terms of direct effect how essential are the cases of Crotty and Pringle?

I've done the entire chapter and I just cant bring myself to do the last few pages where it talks about Crotty and Pringle.

Are they absolutely essential in answering a direct effect question?

This might be a stupid question but my brain is fried so please be kind haha

Sitting EU for the first time on Thursday so do get a second opinion but I think you'd be fine to leave them out. The problem Qs on direct effect don't require them at all, I think they'd be a separate essay/note Q if they came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GlobalSun

Hi all,

So, I'm once again contemplating sitting the exam in March. For those who studied law in college & sat the exam, do you think you performance in college on each of these subjects is an accurate representation of your performance on the FE1?

For instance, if you had an A+ in Company Law in college, did you feel as your performance on the FE1 exam was fairly similar?

I'm asking because I would like to make sure I'm splitting the subjects appropriately.

EU, Equity & Tort were by far the subjects I hated the most, so I will make sure not to take all of them together in one setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sbbyrne

GlobalSun wrote: »
    Hi all,

So, I'm once again contemplating sitting the exam in March. For those who studied law in college & sat the exam, do you think you performance in college on each of these subjects is an accurate representation of your performance on the FE1?

For instance, if you had an A+ in Company Law in college, did you feel as your performance on the FE1 exam was fairly similar?

I'm asking because I would like to make sure I'm splitting the subjects appropriately.

EU, Equity & Tort were by far the subjects I hated the most, so I will make sure not to take all of them together in one setting.

Having gotten a high mark in a subject in college is a great base to have, because obviously you understand it.

FE1s are so different to college exams though and the marks are harder to come by. Our lecturer described them as a mile wide and an inch deep. You need to know a good bit about pretty much everything, so although college results are good in determining what you like and understand, its not completely comparable to FE1 knowledge. That's what i found anyway, others may have a different opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

EU

Just after looking at the notes on Citizenship I have for the first time and the whole area of Student Grants along with Equal Treatment is completely AWOL.

Would be eternally grateful if someone had notes on the area.

Totally willing to swap what I have, or my firstborn child!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Thank you!!!!

The first one is Misrepresentation; failure to make disclosure in the utmost good faith - Spice Girls Limited v April World. In this case failure to disclose that the member was leaving ahead of a sponsorship period was held to be an actionable representation.

Second one is frustration (I think?), either Krell v Henry (the coronation case) or Taylor v Caldwell (1864). In neither of these the price goes up though; the function of the room fails because the event the room is being rented for fails to occur, meaning the doctrine of frustration comes into play.

Here's to hoping the entire Criminal law course can be crammed in one day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 TheLawGuy

Here's to hoping the entire Criminal law course can be crammed in one day!!

Haha at least I’m not the only one. Praying for a nice paper tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Legal23

TheLawGuy wrote: »
    Haha at least I’m not the only one. Praying for a nice paper tomorrow

I'm in the same position as you both, have done a good bit over the past few weeks but now feel like I don't know a thing. What way are you approaching it, are you rote learning statutes and cases or are you preparing exam questions? Don't know where to start really....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement