Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭vid36

Lawguy29 wrote: »
    Anyone who has already sat equity, how tough of a marker is the examiner? Any advice for what they look for?
    Look at previous questions, topics are asked in similar ways. A fair marker in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

City Colleges predictions are:

Q1) PQ - Offer & Acceptance / INCLR
    Q2) PQ - consideration / certainty
    Q3) PQ - exemption clauses / remedies
    Q4) essay - misrep
    Q5) essay - discharge of contractual obligations
    Q6) essay - Illegality
    Q7) essay - remedies
    Q8) PO - consumer protection

Only predictions so wont stick them too much but hoping paper is something similar!

Why no mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Why no mistake?

Yeah I would have thought mistake more likely this time as it didn't come up last sitting

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

I think he said to look over Mistake, he just left it out of the predictions arbitrarily because he filled up the eight questions. Definitely cover Mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

20082014 wrote: »
    CRIMINAL

in relation to Q.4 on todays exam, I said that John would not be guilty of rape but could be guilty of aggravated sexual assaulted as he pushed her into the bush etc. I didnt talk about attempt, is there any possible way I would pass this question by not mentioning attempt?

He awards you marks wherever he can, I wouldnt worry about it. You had AGSA so you discussed a large portion of the Q, its easy to get caught up on what you left out.

• Advertisement

vid36 wrote: »
    Look at previous questions, topics are asked in similar ways. A fair marker in my opinion

The main gist I get from the reports is a real frustration with just putting down learned off essays. Also seems to get frustrated with people misplaying Cy-pres and not mentioning the Charities Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Anyone else mainlining coffee to stay awake. Heading into three in a row and I feel I've dropped the ball with equity. Trying to cram what I can in. (Feeling for those who have four in a row this week)

Anyone else mainlining coffee to stay awake. Heading into three in a row and I feel I've dropped the ball with equity. Trying to cram what I can in. (Feeling for those who have four in a row this week)

Very stressful last night, literally only getting very condensed notes written by 7:30 AM and coming in late to the exam after trying to learn. Think it was a pass tho. Slept and started around 7PM and will work until the exam, sleep and do the same again. Then sleep and do the same again. Good luck tomorrow. I like to really really condence the notes when I am under pressure, make anagrams from lists. Had some mad word associations for Criminal. Any way, better get back to it. Good luck tomorrow :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

EU

In relation to workers and citizenship - am I right in saying that Students are only entitled to be treated as other individuals in that host MS, if they are a worker themselves or part of a worker family - Article 24 of the Directive?
    And does this apply for the first 3 months or for the
    EU

In relation to workers and citizenship - am I right in saying that Students are only entitled to be treated as other individuals in that host MS, if they are a worker themselves or part of a worker family - Article 24 of the Directive?
    And does this apply for the first 3 months or for the entire period before permanent residency is granted?

Any notes/tips on this area would be greatly appreciated as my notes seem to be all over the place for this issue.

Thanks in advance!!
    Hope this isnt totally confusing or wrong i took a look at the directive and I'll take a look at Barnards fundamental freedoms book tomorrow.

I wasnt sure what you meant as in treated as individuals so I've just typed some information to explain.

To be pedantic on it there are really 4 different kinds of students who are EU citizens (I'm assuming third level students).

1. "Vocational students" who were once workers / self-employed people (ie someone who falls under article 7.1.a Citizens Rights Directive aka CRD). These people are people who were once workers /s-e and are now in vocational training (as they can do as per art 7.3.d - if they have left their job it has to be relevant to their old job or vocation if you will, if they were made involuntarily unemployed they can study towards any vocation they like).

Obviously if one can one should try to argue one is a worker rather than a student as one gets all the great perks of being a worker... easier said than done as per Brown v Secretary of State for Scotland. Anyways as per art 24 they are entitled to equal treatment as a "person who retains such status" (ie as a worker) provided they are not in their first 3 months in the MS or just entered the ms to seek work but have been allowed to stay longer than 3 months (art 14.4) which I think is what youre looking at?

2. Bog standard Students who just come to the ms from another ms to study as per 7.1.c CRD. No obligation on the state to give them student grants etc until they have PR.

3. Kids of students who happen to be students themselves as per 7.1.d. No obligation on the state to pay up grants etc until they / the student who they are dependent on gets PR.

4. Kids of workers / vocational who are students themselves - 7.1.d. rights at the same time as vocational student.

Now!!! As EU citizens all students get other rights like fees at the same rates as nationals, e.g. EU students and the "free fees" scheme or reserved spots on a course for national students etc. I just focused on Art 24 as that more actually answers your q.

Also the member state can chose to give grants etc anyone they like before they reach PR they are just not obliged.

As for the first 3 months i dont worry about that too much. 24.2 is clear enough that the ms is under no obligation to give them any social welfare etc but that person and their family are entitled to be in that member state chilling or doing whatever they want to do without labels as per art 6 and only in the most extreme of extreme circumstances they are allowed to expelled. So there is unlikely to be too many issues that arise in months 0-3 as far as I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Sitting 3 in a row, starting with Equity tomorrow. Panic mode 1000%. Trying to go over as much as I can for tomorrow, don't know how people remember so many cases for it. Feeling okeish for contract and Eu.

• Advertisement

illy.m wrote: »
    Sitting 3 in a row, starting with Equity tomorrow. Panic mode 1000%. Trying to go over as much as I can for tomorrow, don't know how people remember so many cases for it. Feeling okeish for contract and Eu.

Same - currently talking away to myself like a madwoman hoping these cases just slot into my brain! If I remember the authorities and the main cases I’ll be happy. I’m not trying for the world record! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Roisin Phelan

CONTRACT LAW
    Can someone please clarify for me all the legislation that may need to be referred to for consumer protection so I am not missing anything! TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Hi all,

I can’t find Act for contract exam for love or money.

Any kind soul have a spare one or have one from last sitting?

It’s a long shot ...

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 luimneachabu73

Equity

anyone have info for the Doctrine of Election case note?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

EU Sample Ans

Does anyone have sample answers for Oct 2018 Q4 and/or Mar 2018 Q5 - they are both on citizenship

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mcgreee

* Contract *

Are the answers in contract much shorter than for other subjects? Looking at sample answers and examiner reports it seems like they're just the bare minimum of relevant information?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭20082014

EU Law

in relation to citizenship, for a non national to get a right of residence do they have to show dependancy under the 2004 Directive? I have in my notes that this is the case but further on down I have a sentence that says dependancy is purely if youre arguing Art.20-24 of the TFEU - confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭holliek

I agree with this advice! But part of me thinks state aid is a dark horse what with it being extremely extremely topical!

What cases have you looked at for state aid? Also has there been recent developments? I haven't properly looked at it past art 106-8 so am probably way off the mark on it

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

What kind of marker is the equity examiner??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Contract

Topics:
    O/A
    Consideration
    Estoppel
    Intention to Create
    Terms
    Exclusion Clauses
    Discharge
    Damages
    Mistake
    Misrep
    Consumer Protection

What can be cut?? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

Contract

Topics:
    O/A
    Consideration
    Estoppel
    Intention to Create
    Terms
    Exclusion Clauses
    Discharge
    Damages
    Mistake
    Misrep
    Consumer Protection

What can be cut?? :o

The only one I’d consider cutting is Misrepresentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CMUL

So I completely answered mandatory wrong today. The misread the facts thought aisling painting them and hotel didn't pay! I used the correct law campus oil, maha lingam and such. Would I fail whole question for misreading facts but law correct?

Other qs only ok, finished with 30mins to spare

CMUL wrote: »
    So I completely answered mandatory wrong today. The misread the facts thought aisling painting them and hotel didn't pay! I used the correct law campus oil, maha lingam and such. Would I fail whole question for misreading facts but law correct?

Other qs only ok, finished with 30mins to spare

Hate when I see how I answered questions wrong on this. :-) Ah, not a huge deal, 2 marks probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CMUL

Really I would have thought 10, clearly I dont know how to read lol

CMUL wrote: »
    Really I would have thought 10, clearly I dont know how to read lol

Maybe Im being generous, you'll get a good few marks still tho. I was wondering what she was doing trying to get an injuntion. I was practically saying she was wasting everyones time, no way jose by any test. Go home Aisling. All nighters and problem Qs are not a good mix.

Daly29 wrote: »
    Maybe Im being generous, you'll get a good few marks still tho. I was wondering what she was doing trying to get an injuntion. I was practically saying she was wasting everyones time, no way jose by any test. Go home Aisling. All nighters and problem Qs are not a good mix.

I said she was looking for a mandatory injunction and would fail under exception for campus. Crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

EmmaO94 wrote: »
    Hey,

I would be so so grateful if you could possibly sent this to me too? Stressing a bit for Contract now, thanks!

Could I be late to the party? It’s a theme she likes but I’ve nothing on it
    Can send on stuff too if essays needed on other topics

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

Hi what was Q4? Equity

• Registered Users Posts: 28 legaltraineex

I’m completing confused by people saying they answered question 8 in equity wrong (ashling and injunction)

What would have been the correct way to approach it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Hi what was Q4? Equity

Quistclose Trusts.... question was similar to Harlequin Properties v O Halloran

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement