Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aherns2

smeal wrote: »
    Definitely do 4!

Property is very easy to study for. I would leave it as your last subject to start working on as there are literally 6/7 topics that come up every time.

People seem to struggle with Contract quite a bit (myself included) despite it being quite a short manual in comparison to the rest. It is heavily mixed with the questions being asked not often clear and the examiner seems to have some mystical way of marking. I would focus heaviest on this- get yourself a set of past papers and go hell for leather.

Criminal genuinely offers a fair paper with a fair marking scheme but again is quite heavy and mixed but is quite easy to study for.

Equity and Trusts is again usually a fair paper and is easy to plough through but requires your patience getting your head around the different trusts. The equity side of things is usually quite easy to predict as the examiner rarely asks a question on the same injuction two years in a row.

In terms of hardest to easiest for your four I would say Contract, Equity & Trusts, Criminal and then Property. Very achievable! The first set of FE1s is all about confidence so even though you are leaving yourself with the 4 longer subjects after at least you have the confidence to go forward :)

That's brilliant, really appreciate all this, nice to get some structure and focus. Eager to get stuck in!! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭laurenburne

smeal wrote: »
    No change on Contract here! Really not sure if I have it in me to sit it again in October as my head is just fried with it. But then I run the risk of missing out on Blackhall again if I fail it this time next year... If you had have told me this time 2 years ago when I first started the exams that I would be still be sitting them now I can honestly say that I wouldn't have bothered haha

I feel the exact same with Tort. I have all the others passed a year ago. Tort was the reason I didn't get into blackhall last year and this year. I really don't know if i can bring myself to do it in October either. I think I'll feel quite nuts studying the same topics for the third time. I'm starting to wonder how I managed to pass the rest. I definitely didn't know them as well as tort. Not even close

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Snakeydoogey

Greetings my fellow tormented souls.I'm having a stab at constitutional in October and was looking for any tips/advice anyone could offer.I was really hoping someone could send me on information about the "10 cases" that are current and their details.I have heard about these magical 10 cases but have no idea how to get my hands on them as I'm not attending a prep course.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks Boys and girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

Greetings my fellow tormented souls.I'm having a stab at constitutional in October and was looking for any tips/advice anyone could offer.I was really hoping someone could send me on information about the "10 cases" that are current and their details.I have heard about these magical 10 cases but have no idea how to get my hands on them as I'm not attending a prep course.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks Boys and girls.

What is this sorcery you speak of? 10 cases. For an entire manual. Surely not...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 louser1

I will be doing constitutional too, I am doing a prep course but I'm late signing up, but I'll be signing up next week so I'm happy to send u the cases when I get them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

I think this refers to the lecture the examiner gives every year, around September I believe, in UCD where he discusses the current cases for the year. I could be wrong about some or all of this though and will gladly stand corrected if the need arises. I have the list of the cases he mentioned last year. You just have to keep an eye out for the when he has the lecture arranged.

https://www.ucd.ie/law/newsandevents/events/constitutionallaw/ - i think its this one and its on in february not september.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GavMac

Could anyone tell me what came up on the most recent EU & Tort papers?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Leraf wrote: »
    I think this refers to the lecture the examiner gives every year, around September I believe, in UCD where he discusses the current cases for the year. I could be wrong about some or all of this though and will gladly stand corrected if the need arises. I have the list of the cases he mentioned last year. You just have to keep an eye out for the when he has the lecture arranged.

https://www.ucd.ie/law/newsandevents/events/constitutionallaw/ - i think its this one and its on in february not september.

Any chance you could post the list you have or PM them? Does anyone have the list from this year?

Any chance you could post the list you have or PM them? Does anyone have the list from this year?

I am pretty sure I got it from here. I will try to find it

I know of some of them I wrote the list into one of my many notebooks which I will have to try and find. I know the following cases were on it

WAXY O'CONNOR CASE
    MCENERNY V GARDA COMMISSIONER 2016
    MILEY V EAT (relating to costs against EAT)
    BARLOW V MIN FOR AGRICULTURE 2016
    Collins v Minister for Finance [2016]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Hmmmmmmm. That sounds tough to be honest.
    Even with a Law degree (and Masters) I find them tough and I'm legally educated. Then again, you're a blank canvas...... maybe a good point.
    You're looking at 4 sits (2 yrs) if I'm honest, 3 is good so I'm adding an extra one for going solo.
    Can you afford some of the subjects? Save?

aherns2 wrote: »
    New to this thread.

I'm going to start the long fe1 journey in October. I have the independent college manuals and planning to do criminal, property and either equity or contract in October to just get it started and stop being afraid of it. Know loads of people who've done it and I know how hard they can be. I don't have a law degree and can't afford the courses so I'm flying solo. Any advice on how to start, study plans etc. Need some structured focus please...

As answered above

New to this thread.

I'm going to start the long fe1 journey in October. I have the independent college manuals and planning to do criminal, property and either equity or contract in October to just get it started and stop being afraid of it. Know loads of people who've done it and I know how hard they can be. I don't have a law degree and can't afford the courses so I'm flying solo. Any advice on how to start, study plans etc. Need some structured focus please...

Did you pick your subjects yet?
    Subjectively I'd recommend Property and Criminal in the first sit. Pick two more, maybe EU.....

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Chuckler

Leraf wrote: »

with respect...this is simply incorrect. The cases the lecturer discusses in UCD are of relevance to current day issues or issues that are of the lecturer's interest but they do not reflect the content of the exam. Take this from someone who did not reference any of the 10 current cases discussed as I could not see the relevance of any of them to the last exam (March 2017) and passed comfortably. Sorry for my directness but the prep schools will second what I am saying. Stick to the prep school manuals and articles and you will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aherns2

Hmmmmmmm. That sounds tough to be honest.
    Even with a Law degree (and Masters) I find them tough and I'm legally educated. Then again, you're a blank canvas...... maybe a good point.
    You're looking at 4 sits (2 yrs) if I'm honest, 3 is good so I'm adding an extra one for going solo.
    Can you afford some of the subjects? Save?

I'm from a legal family so have lots of resources to pull from luckily. I'm giving myself 4 sits definitely and I've got the time so I'm ok with that. Going to do 3 this time to be honest as basically a trial run and after that I'm going to look at investing in some courses. Doing Criminal, property and contract. I'm not under any illusion this will be a piece of cake. Have friends who've taken years to do them all and that was with a law degree. I've always been afraid to do them but finally decided what the hell. Might change my mind entirely after the first set. Ha ha. Will definitely look up the answering technique you mention... That will be a big help in my learning structure.

Any chance anyone could donate exam grids? I have nothing to swap so hence asking for a donation... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sarakarp

Hi. Could anyone tell me what came up in Constitutional law paper in March 2017 sitting? Thank you 😊

I'm from a legal family so have lots of resources to pull from luckily. I'm giving myself 4 sits definitely and I've got the time so I'm ok with that. Going to do 3 this time to be honest as basically a trial run and after that I'm going to look at investing in some courses. Doing Criminal, property and contract. I'm not under any illusion this will be a piece of cake. Have friends who've taken years to do them all and that was with a law degree. I've always been afraid to do them but finally decided what the hell. Might change my mind entirely after the first set. Ha ha. Will definitely look up the answering technique you mention... That will be a big help in my learning structure.

Any chance anyone could donate exam grids? I have nothing to swap so hence asking for a donation... ;)

I actually never had/used any exam grids.

Educating yourself will be tough going, and I'm worried about using the impossible word. Though, nothing is, right!!

Get the Nutshells as this condenses the material.
    Get Law Society papers/exam reports.

Do you have a contract lined up?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 vita.s

Sarakarp wrote: »
    Hi. Could anyone tell me what came up in Constitutional law paper in March 2017 sitting? Thank you ��

I asked that question a few pages back. If you have a look through it you should be able to find the answer with all the topics that came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭claiomh solais

Howdy folks so I'm preparing what subjects I will be covering for my last FE-1:

Offer and Acceptance
    Consideration and Estoppel
    Intention to create legal relations
    Parol Evidence Rule
    Terms of Contract
    Exclusion & Limitation Clauses
    Consumer Law (Sale of Goods)
    Mistake
    Undue Influence & Duress
    Discharge of Contracts Remedies
    Misrepresentation

Is there anything that someone can think of sticking on the bill as well? I'm only doing the one exam so I hope to cover a lot of material.

Offer and Acceptance
    Parol Evidence Rule
    Terms of Contract
    Mistake
    Undue Influence & Duress
    Misrepresentation

Is there anything that someone can think of sticking on the bill as well? I'm only doing the one exam so I hope to cover a lot of material.

To be honest with you, if you're only doing one I would suggest covering everything. Especially for contract, all the questions are mixed and not very predictable. As far as I remember there are only a couple of topics that never come up, like illegal contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Yoop_

vita.s wrote: »
    To be honest with you, if you're only doing one I would suggest covering everything. Especially for contract, all the questions are mixed and not very predictable. As far as I remember there are only a couple of topics that never come up, like illegal contacts.

Illegality actually came up two sittings in a row not so long ago.

I would also recommend covering everything if you're only doing one. The contract examiner has mentioned several times in the reports that people are taking too many chances with what they study.

Yoop_ wrote: »
    Illegality actually came up two sittings in a row not so long ago.

I would also recommend covering everything if you're only doing one. The contract examiner has mentioned several times in the reports that people are taking too many chances with what they study.

Sorry, I meant to say void contracts, don't think that one came up in the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

What topics should I cover to be safe for EU ? Is there something I can possibly omit or am I better of to cover everything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

Offer and Acceptance
    Parol Evidence Rule
    Terms of Contract
    Mistake
    Undue Influence & Duress
    Misrepresentation

Do Privity and Frustration Mod deletion.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Snakeydoogey

Do any of you fresh faced young go getters fancy sending me on a grid for constitutional? Pm me please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Does anyone have a grid for company, equity, eu and tort?
    Sitting my first 4 Fe1 in october and am really nervous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Pls - no comments about examiners, in particular their form in setting and marking papers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 alanjamesmoore

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at doing the FE1's this October, possibly four. I'm thinking of Tort, Constitutional, Contract and Criminal.

If anyone has any grids for these topics that would be greatly appreciated. I've sat them previously unfortunately so if anyone needs advice on what not to do, I'm your guy!!

Likewise, any tips would be appreciated e.g. focus on past papers, etc.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I would stick with tort, constitutional, criminal and probaby eu due to the crossovers. Equity and contract are almost the same thing and company is very strongly based in equity so sit those together. Property is usually unproblematic from my reading of this forum, so do that whenever you feel happiest with it. If it was me, I'd sit property with contract/equity/company as I think there are better crossovers of topics.

Group the exams you want to take in a way that suits you best, having said the above. It's easy for me to say that the above is the best way to do it but if you want to focus on discreet topics and avoid crossovers because it's conceptually easier for you, do it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 LegalAnna

Hi all,

Could anyone possibly send me on the criminal exam grid? I have the other 7 to swap if you need them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement