Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

With grammar like that, are you sure you're not looking for the Junior Cert exam thread?

Mod: Easy now. Nobody is perfect. Pls keep to thread topic

Mod deletion

vita.s wrote: »
    I started studying for the March exams in January and somehow managed to pass all 5 of them. If you don't spend too much time procrastinating in the next two months you should be fine.

thanks to everyone for the sound advice!
    I have a few nutshels, hoping to buy some exam papers and reports now and get stuck in after i finish up in work on Friday!
    Thanks so much to everyone, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rickmatt

Hi,

I am considering sitting the FE1's in October this year.

I finished a Masters in Legal Science in June, and want to take the FE1's in October.

I am thinking of taking 4 exams which I think is the obvious start point.

I just wanted to write in here as I'm wondering where can I get notes/manuals/tips/hints etc. over the next month or two.

I have heard there is a unique way studying for them, and they are not like your regular academic exams?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Yoop_

You can get the manuals on adverts.ie or gumtree - anywhere like that. I would also recommend getting the exam papers and reports: if you can't get them second hand, get them from the Law Society.

Four is a good number to take in your first lot, it leaves you a bit of breathing room if one doesn't go to plan. I would suggest splitting EU, Constitutional and Tort as they're the larger courses.

People will disagree over the best way to study for the FE1s but personally I didn't approach them any differently to my college exams. It's a lot of the same material, you just have to cover more and there aren't the same opportunities to cut things out. Just because something hasn't come up in ten years does not mean it can't come up again. The opposite is also true: don't leave something out because it came up in the last 6 sittings. Also, be careful to cover enough for exams where there are a lot of topics mixed into the same question, or where the examiner favours multi-part questions. This is where the papers and reports come in handy. Keep up to date with the most recent caselaw, especially for Criminal, EU and Constitutional. You don't need as much academic commentary as in undergrad exams.

Basically: cover as much as you possibly can. Use whatever study method has been most successful for you thus far. Use the exam papers and reports. Remember that you only have 30 minutes for each question so the examiners are looking mainly for understanding and application, 2.5-4 pages should be enough to get you over the 50.

Best of luck. The first lot can be very daunting but it's all psychological. They're very doable if you put in the work and don't take too many chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Thanks for the advice Yoop. I am also doing the Fe1s this October, it will be my first sitting I registered to sit 5 exams which is crazy I don't know what I was thinking I only started studying today is so overwhelming when I realised the amount of topics that need to be covered.
    I bought notes online, I think they are fine really they have revision notes, lecture notes, exam grids, past exam papers and reports and PDF manuals from Griffith college and independent colleges. You can get them on adverts.ie
    I am doing tort, constitutional, property, equity and contract I am so worried and overwhelmed about this exams, I will keep up to date with this thread for any tips and advice. Also I was told that if you refer to academic commentary they take marks off, is that true? Should I just stick to cases and primary authority???
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Yoop_

jewels652 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice Yoop. I am also doing the Fe1s this October, it will be my first sitting I registered to sit 5 exams which is crazy I don't know what I was thinking I only started studying today is so overwhelming when I realised the amount of topics that need to be covered.
    I bought notes online, I think they are fine really they have revision notes, lecture notes, exam grids, past exam papers and reports and PDF manuals from Griffith college and independent colleges. You can get them on adverts.ie
    I am doing tort, constitutional, property, equity and contract I am so worried and overwhelmed about this exams, I will keep up to date with this thread for any tips and advice. Also I was told that if you refer to academic commentary they take marks off, is that true? Should I just stick to cases and primary authority???
    Thanks in advance

No problem. Starting into it all the first time is definitely overwhelming. Some of the courses seem absolutely enormous compared to college. Just keep at it, bit by bit, and you'll be grand. There's a nice bit of overlap between Equity, Property and Contract so you'll be surprised how quickly everything will sink in.

I'm open to correction but I don't think there's any negative marking for things like academic commentary. Obviously it's fairly necessary in an essay style question, but I have never included it in problem questions because if I was advising a client in reality, I wouldn't be giving them a spiel from the latest journal. Cases are the most important thing to have in those kinds of questions. That's not to say you can never include it in problem questions, but make sure it's relevant. What the examiner wants most is to see a good understanding of the law and a good application to the facts in front of you. If you've got a nice bit of commentary that fits well, by all means add it in. Just make sure it's not randomly tacked onto the end like you're desperate to put it somewhere.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,725 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

There's a thread for this already, so I'll merge this into the main FE1s thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cjaybcjayb

Hi all. Hoping someone could PM me the exam grids for Criminal and Tort? I have Company, EU and Equity if anyone needs... Thanks guys :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AislingB92

Hi there, does anybody have up to date exam grids for EU and Constitutional? Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sarakarp

Hi. Would anyone have the topics that came up in Criminal Law in March 2017 please and thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rickmatt

JEWELS652 - I have tried to purchase notes for the FE1's online from Adverts.ie. Is Adverts.ie a trustworthy site to buy notes from. I am a little sceptical about some of the offers they sound too good to be true. But maybe they are that good I'm just wondering can you confirm this for me.

Mod
    Sorry, LD is not to be used for anything relating to purchase etc of notes
    Swapping etc of exam grids is OK
    Apart from that, good luck all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 greenfrog24

Hi there, just wondering if anybody who's already registered for the October sitting has received any sort of confirmation from the Law Society? I registered in June and haven't heard from them yet - just wondering if that's normal or if I should get on to them!

rickmatt wrote: »
    JEWELS652 - I have tried to purchase notes for the FE1's online from Adverts.ie. Is Adverts.ie a trustworthy site to buy notes from. I am a little sceptical about some of the offers they sound too good to be true. But maybe they are that good I'm just wondering can you confirm this for me.

Mod
    Sorry, LD is not to be used for anything relating to purchase etc of notes
    Apart from that, good luck all

Hi there, I bought the notes and yes they are trustworthy they only thing is that they can take a long time to respond. I am actually very happy with the notes is after saving me a lot of time typing and organising notes.

I have tort notes if anyone is llooking!

Sarakarp wrote: »
    Hi. Would anyone have the topics that came up in Criminal Law in March 2017 please and thank you :)

Hi Sarakarp I have the exam paper and report for criminal march 2017 I can email it to you..

Does anyone have any material from the March 2017 sittings?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bayb12

Does anyone have a company and constitutional grid they can donate?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cjaybcjayb

Hi, I'm looking for a company law exam grid, can swap for any other subject grid up to 2016 :)
    Hey. I have a Company law grid up to 2016 if thats handy? Would you happen to have Tort and Criminal? Thanks! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dizg

Hey all,

Does anyone have grids for constitutional, EU or Tort? I'm looking at buying notes and will be swap/ share with anyone once I get these!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sarakarp

Would anyone have tort law sample answers please and thank you. I can swap for something else in Constitutional, Land or Criminal 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Anastaciag94

Hey, I'm looking for up to date exam grids for Contract, Constitutional, Tort and Equity. Have sample answers, papers and reports and a few other bits I can swap for every subject except Tort!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LegalFianna

Hi there, 
    Just wondering people's thoughts on Ultra Vires for Company. Obv the Act abolished the Ultra Vires doctrine but it remains for DACs and PLCs. Anybody doing prep courses been told not to bother with it or anything? Thanks in advance. 
    Also, slightly related. Does anybody have any Company notes? I have great notes for the other 7 but my Company Notes are pre-2014 Act so aren't very helpful. Willing to trade any and all of my notes for up-to-date Company notes. Thank you everyone. :)

Hi everyone,
    I have been studying for constitutional for the last few days and I cannot help but to feel completely overwhelmed once I finish a topic and I go over the past question I find it hard to identify the questions never mind the issues..
    anyway as I sit here thinking which topics should I study for and which ones shouldn't I bother with. I say I better pose a question here for you all to help me predict what is coming up and mightn't.
    I will appreciate your help.
    Please
    :)

Hi jewels652, I'm in the same boat, very large topic! Sat the exam last time round. Failed it and appealed it...missed out by 1%!!!
    Any chance you have an up to date exam grid/solutions to exam paper from March 2017?
    Appreciate anything you have! Thanks!!

AislingB92 wrote: »
    Hi jewels652, I'm in the same boat, very large topic! Sat the exam last time round. Failed it and appealed it...missed out by 1%!!!
    Any chance you have an up to date exam grid/solutions to exam paper from March 2017?
    Appreciate anything you have! Thanks!!

Thanks AislingB92, I have exam grid up to march 2016 pm if that is any good?
    I would like to get an up to date one too.
    As you sat the exam last time would you know what q3 was about?
    Thank u

Thanks AislingB92, I have exam grid up to march 2016 pm if that is any good?
    I would like to get an up to date one too.
    As you sat the exam last time would you know what q3 was about?
    Thank u

I have exam grid up to March 2016 myself but thanks anyway!
    Q3 was in relation to writing a short note on three of the eight judgements of the ECJ.

AislingB92 wrote: »
    I have exam grid up to March 2016 myself but thanks anyway!
    Q3 was in relation to writing a short note on three of the eight judgements of the ECJ.
    No march 2017, Rachel's father is suffering from a rare form of illness....

No march 2017, Rachel's father is suffering from a rare form of illness....

Apologies, head stuck in EU law...unsure of Q3 March 2017 for Constitutional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shibby28

Hi, hope everyone getting on okay in this life ruining studying :( Does anyone happen to have exam grids for Constitutional, EU and Criminal?
    I have all papers & reports for Contract, Tort, Equity, Company and Property to swap. Thank you! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fe1hunzo

Hey everyone,

Having difficulty finding the actual syllabus online for any of the exams? Is there one's online any where at all?
    Also where is best site/place to purchase the legislations for the exams? I have some of them from my undergrad and masters but need a few others.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement